Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 62
  1. #1
    Veteran Member Four Rings fly300kts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 16 2008
    AZ Member #
    34255
    My Garage
    03 Golf GTI - 03 Golf 2.0l - 04 Golf 2.0L
    Location
    South Florida - Ft Lauderdale
    Items for Sale

    Bumper/Hood Gap Adjustment (after bumper removal)

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi Guys,

    This has been bothering some of you for a while now so I am going to share some tips and show you how to get a perfect bumper/hood gap every time you remove your bumper.
    You can find my previous DIY about removing the bumper here:
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...bumper+removal
    If itís the first time the bumper is removed, you might have to loosen a bit the upper part of the adjustable support to facilitate the removal.




    During the bumper removal process, there are 99% of chances that these two guys became out of rig. Letís call that ďadjustable supportsĒ.



    A close up:
    The bumper sits where the red arrow points, not below



    Red arrow shows the adjustable support for the upper skirt. If your car is equipped with an OEM grille, you normally donít have to mess with this one (EBay grille is another story)



    View from the top, when you will be sliding in place the bumper, make sure that this piece of rubber does not get caught and stays perfectly straight



    This is the part of the bumper that slides into the adjustable support



    A close up of both correctly assembled



    So, you are ready to reinstall your headlights and then the bumper. Before installing the headlights, we are going to check if the gap between the bumper and the hood is correct. Without the headlights in place, slide the bumper in position. Make sure the rubber flap did not get caught; make sure the 2 screws on the side are in place in the fender. Do not install any screws or nuts, let the bumper sit in place by itself. Now close the hood to check the gap.



    Not too bad on this picture but letís assume the gap was too big:
    Open the hood and without removing the bumper, raise the adjustable support:
    If you turn:

    Clockwise, the support goes up
    Counter clockwise, the support goes down

    With needle pliers, grab this plastic part an turn as necessary. Close the hood, check the gap. Repeat as necessary until the gap meets your expectations.



    Now, the little trick: put couple drops of crazy glue between the plastic threads and the housing. Let dry 5 mn.



    Once dry, remove the bumper. Slide the headlights in place and install only the screw for the upper tab. Do not tight the screw.
    Slide in place the bumper making sure again, that the bumper tab was inserted correctly on the adjustable support and the rubber flap is not caught. You will see that the fit is really tight and you will need to pull up each headlight a bit to be able to slide the bumper under them.
    Install and tight all the bumpers screws first and then secure the headlights
    Voila, job done with a perfect gap



    Hope this help
    Let me know if any question
    phil
    Last edited by kristokes; 04-01-2011 at 02:26 PM.

  2. #2
    Veteran Member Four Rings Inked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 11 2010
    AZ Member #
    68124
    My Garage
    Polaris Outlaw 525 Quad
    Location
    Central FL

    Nice write up!

  3. #3
    Senior Member Two Rings rowyourown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 13 2010
    AZ Member #
    53343
    Location
    New York

    Phil your DIYs are phenomenal. Forgive me if I missed this while searching, but do you have one for replacing the DV? I know there are others but they don't have the detailed pictures like you always provide.
    Eibach springs, Bilstein sport shocks, GIAC, 034 HFC, RS4 rear sway, V710s, Hankook Ventus V12 235/40/18

  4. #4
    Veteran Member Four Rings NorcalPB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 15 2008
    AZ Member #
    30912
    My Garage
    Supercharged M3...sold/ Titanium B7 A4
    Location
    San Francisco

    So the bumper does have to come off to properly adjust?

  5. #5
    Veteran Member Four Rings fly300kts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 16 2008
    AZ Member #
    34255
    My Garage
    03 Golf GTI - 03 Golf 2.0l - 04 Golf 2.0L
    Location
    South Florida - Ft Lauderdale
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by rowyourown View Post
    Phil your DIYs are phenomenal. Forgive me if I missed this while searching, but do you have one for replacing the DV? I know there are others but they don't have the detailed pictures like you always provide.
    I never made one for the DV but I will bext time I replace one

    phil

  6. #6
    Veteran Member Four Rings fly300kts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 16 2008
    AZ Member #
    34255
    My Garage
    03 Golf GTI - 03 Golf 2.0l - 04 Golf 2.0L
    Location
    South Florida - Ft Lauderdale
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by NorcalPB View Post
    So the bumper does have to come off to properly adjust?
    Yes Sir

    phil

  7. #7
    Veteran Member Four Rings NorcalPB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 15 2008
    AZ Member #
    30912
    My Garage
    Supercharged M3...sold/ Titanium B7 A4
    Location
    San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by fly300kts View Post
    Yes Sir

    phil
    Damn alright that's good to know. The shop that reinstalled my new s-line bumper after my dad destroyed my old one left a massive gap on one side, of course. Good write up though! Definitely the right way to do it.

  8. #8
    Veteran Member Four Rings fly300kts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 16 2008
    AZ Member #
    34255
    My Garage
    03 Golf GTI - 03 Golf 2.0l - 04 Golf 2.0L
    Location
    South Florida - Ft Lauderdale
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by NorcalPB View Post
    Damn alright that's good to know. The shop that reinstalled my new s-line bumper after my dad destroyed my old one left a massive gap on one side, of course. Good write up though! Definitely the right way to do it.
    LOL
    Don't let your Dad drive your car ever again

    phil

  9. #9
    Veteran Member Four Rings event's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 21 2009
    AZ Member #
    44048
    My Garage
    Tools...
    Location
    Lynnwood, WA
    Items for Sale

    Aw man, I really enjoyed seeing irregular gaps on every B7 that's had it's bumper removed.

  10. #10
    Veteran Member Four Rings fly300kts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 16 2008
    AZ Member #
    34255
    My Garage
    03 Golf GTI - 03 Golf 2.0l - 04 Golf 2.0L
    Location
    South Florida - Ft Lauderdale
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by event View Post
    Aw man, I really enjoyed seeing irregular gaps on every B7 that's had it's bumper removed.
    Not anymore

    Phil

  11. #11
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    May 08 2009
    AZ Member #
    42210
    Location
    Iowa

    Excellent write up! I have 1 question in the first 2 pictures if you turn the screw will it raise or lower the bumper?

  12. #12
    Veteran Member Four Rings fly300kts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 16 2008
    AZ Member #
    34255
    My Garage
    03 Golf GTI - 03 Golf 2.0l - 04 Golf 2.0L
    Location
    South Florida - Ft Lauderdale
    Items for Sale

    No, it will just release the bumper tab

    phil

  13. #13
    Veteran Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 03 2005
    AZ Member #
    8214
    My Garage
    06 A4 2.0TQ 6Spd
    Location
    Northern NJ

    nice, thank you. Now just have to get off my ass and stop being so lazy.
    B7 2.0TQ 6spd

  14. #14
    Veteran Member Four Rings fly300kts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 16 2008
    AZ Member #
    34255
    My Garage
    03 Golf GTI - 03 Golf 2.0l - 04 Golf 2.0L
    Location
    South Florida - Ft Lauderdale
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by Ales View Post
    nice, thank you. Now just have to get off my ass and stop being so lazy.
    Sorry, can't help for that

    Phil

  15. #15
    Veteran Member Four Rings fly300kts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 16 2008
    AZ Member #
    34255
    My Garage
    03 Golf GTI - 03 Golf 2.0l - 04 Golf 2.0L
    Location
    South Florida - Ft Lauderdale
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by Inked View Post
    Nice write up!
    Thank you. You can learn now

    Phil

  16. #16
    Veteran Member Four Rings Inked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 11 2010
    AZ Member #
    68124
    My Garage
    Polaris Outlaw 525 Quad
    Location
    Central FL

    Quote Originally Posted by fly300kts View Post
    Thank you. You can learn now

    Phil
    lol.....ass

  17. #17
    Established Member Two Rings FASTONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13 2006
    AZ Member #
    10266
    My Garage
    04 I35, 05.5 A4
    Location
    KMC/Erfenbach

    like always Phil awsome DYI thanks!

  18. #18
    Veteran Member Four Rings fly300kts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 16 2008
    AZ Member #
    34255
    My Garage
    03 Golf GTI - 03 Golf 2.0l - 04 Golf 2.0L
    Location
    South Florida - Ft Lauderdale
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by FASTONE View Post
    like always Phil awsome DYI thanks!
    Your welcome

    Phil

  19. #19
    Veteran Member Four Rings NorcalPB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 15 2008
    AZ Member #
    30912
    My Garage
    Supercharged M3...sold/ Titanium B7 A4
    Location
    San Francisco

    How small is the gap really supposed to be stock? Ideally the same size as the hood/fender gap?

  20. #20
    Veteran Member Four Rings airbornerifleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20 2008
    AZ Member #
    28993
    My Garage
    2013 Passat TDI
    Location
    Toronto Ontario, Canada

    Great job! Thank you for the info

  21. #21
    Veteran Member Four Rings fly300kts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 16 2008
    AZ Member #
    34255
    My Garage
    03 Golf GTI - 03 Golf 2.0l - 04 Golf 2.0L
    Location
    South Florida - Ft Lauderdale
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by NorcalPB View Post
    How small is the gap really supposed to be stock? Ideally the same size as the hood/fender gap?
    I would say 8 to 10 mm

    phil

  22. #22
    Established Member Two Rings cbbepop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 15 2010
    AZ Member #
    65729
    Location
    MA

    nice writeup this will deff help when i do the sline conversion

  23. #23
    Deactivated Three Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 07 2008
    AZ Member #
    33923
    Location
    Santo Domingo, Dom. Rep.

    Any one have the part number for this?




    Thanks.

  24. #24
    Deactivated Three Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 07 2008
    AZ Member #
    33923
    Location
    Santo Domingo, Dom. Rep.

    Bump

  25. #25
    Deactivated Three Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 07 2008
    AZ Member #
    33923
    Location
    Santo Domingo, Dom. Rep.

    Stealership here in Dom Rep is being a real A hole. Gonna have to order this online, just wanna make sure I get the correct part. Thanks in advance!

  26. #26
    Deactivated Three Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 07 2008
    AZ Member #
    33923
    Location
    Santo Domingo, Dom. Rep.

    Bump

  27. #27
    Veteran Member Four Rings fly300kts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 16 2008
    AZ Member #
    34255
    My Garage
    03 Golf GTI - 03 Golf 2.0l - 04 Golf 2.0L
    Location
    South Florida - Ft Lauderdale
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by mr_esmit View Post
    Any one have the part number for this?




    Thanks.
    Voila. Order the rivets too, item #3 & #4



    Phil

  28. #28
    Veteran Member Three Rings musanoadsaba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 24 2009
    AZ Member #
    37852
    My Garage
    2007 Ibis RS4
    Location
    Rockies

    This thread made this so much easier. I think the key point is that the screws holding the alignment adjusters DON'T adjust the alignment.
    The plier technique with the headlights removed is what needs to be done.
    Thanks for this DIY.

  29. #29
    Deactivated Three Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 07 2008
    AZ Member #
    33923
    Location
    Santo Domingo, Dom. Rep.

    Many thanks Phil for this thread and all the other that make modding easier!

  30. #30
    Veteran Member Four Rings 'mk4-turbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02 2007
    AZ Member #
    21532
    Location
    Montreal

    guess im gonna be following this DIY this weekend. dealer changed a module behind the bumper and now its not aligned at all.

    any way of adjusting it without the bumper removal? can you access the adjustor any other way?

  31. #31
    Veteran Member Four Rings beantown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 27 2009
    AZ Member #
    45573
    My Garage
    '15 S3
    Location
    Boston
    Items for Sale

    Thanks for the DIY Phil! Finally got around to truing-up my hood gap since installing the RS4 grille.

  32. #32
    Veteran Member Four Rings fly300kts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 16 2008
    AZ Member #
    34255
    My Garage
    03 Golf GTI - 03 Golf 2.0l - 04 Golf 2.0L
    Location
    South Florida - Ft Lauderdale
    Items for Sale

    Your welcome

    Phil

  33. #33
    Senior Member Three Rings nicotino15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 24 2011
    AZ Member #
    78712
    Location
    dallas

    bringing this thread back from the dead. I used this to adjust the gap on my front bumper after removing it to change my snub mount out. Now I'm having alignment issues. I got the gap perfect, although I think it's actually too small of a gap, Im going to redo it.

    The problem I have now is my right headlight sticks out a little too much (never fully removed my headlights throughout this ordeal so they should be in the same spot as stock) Also, on the adjustable support for the upper skirt on the right side is not lined up with the bumper in place, I can't figure out why as everything else is pretty good. Another problem is my hood is really hard to shut, has to almost be slammed down to lock now.

    I think the cause of all this is the 3 large bolts on each side of the radiator which I removed to give some movement to the radiator and change out my snub mount. Does anybody have any tips on getting these 3 large bolts aligned properly so that I don't have these alignment issues? Could it be something else? Not sure what else I could do. The tabs are slid into the 2 adjustable bolts perfectly as explained above and everything else lines up, just not my right headlight and the hood shuts bad.

  34. #34
    Veteran Member Three Rings Dcass08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 21 2011
    AZ Member #
    78584
    Location
    Rochester NH

    Adjusted finally

    Hey Phil, I finally got around to adjusting my bumper today. A couple of weeks ago I realized both of my height adjusters were busted. I got the parts yesterday and did it today. I got it almost where I want it but I'm having an issue with the nuts for the two screws on each side. When I tighten the bottom one up it causes the bumper to bulge out and creates quite a gap. I'll post up a pic tomorrow. I think I just need to keep tweaking it but I thought I would ask and see if anyone else had that problem. Thanks.... Dan

    Quote Originally Posted by fly300kts View Post
    Hi Guys,

    This has been bothering some of you for a while now so I am going to share some tips and show you how to get a perfect bumper/hood gap every time you remove your bumper.
    You can find my previous DIY about removing the bumper here:
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...bumper+removal
    If itís the first time the bumper is removed, you might have to loosen a bit the upper part of the adjustable support to facilitate the removal.




    During the bumper removal process, there are 99% of chances that these two guys became out of rig. Letís call that ďadjustable supportsĒ.



    A close up:
    The bumper sits where the red arrow points, not below



    Red arrow shows the adjustable support for the upper skirt. If your car is equipped with an OEM grille, you normally donít have to mess with this one (EBay grille is another story)



    View from the top, when you will be sliding in place the bumper, make sure that this piece of rubber does not get caught and stays perfectly straight



    This is the part of the bumper that slides into the adjustable support



    A close up of both correctly assembled



    So, you are ready to reinstall your headlights and then the bumper. Before installing the headlights, we are going to check if the gap between the bumper and the hood is correct. Without the headlights in place, slide the bumper in position. Make sure the rubber flap did not get caught; make sure the 2 screws on the side are in place in the fender. Do not install any screws or nuts, let the bumper sit in place by itself. Now close the hood to check the gap.



    Not too bad on this picture but letís assume the gap was too big:
    Open the hood and without removing the bumper, raise the adjustable support:
    If you turn:

    Clockwise, the support goes up
    Counter clockwise, the support goes down

    With needle pliers, grab this plastic part an turn as necessary. Close the hood, check the gap. Repeat as necessary until the gap meets your expectations.



    Now, the little trick: put couple drops of crazy glue between the plastic threads and the housing. Let dry 5 mn.



    Once dry, remove the bumper. Slide the headlights in place and install only the screw for the upper tab. Do not tight the screw.
    Slide in place the bumper making sure again, that the bumper tab was inserted correctly on the adjustable support and the rubber flap is not caught. You will see that the fit is really tight and you will need to pull up each headlight a bit to be able to slide the bumper under them.
    Install and tight all the bumpers screws first and then secure the headlights
    Voila, job done with a perfect gap



    Hope this help
    Let me know if any question
    phil

  35. #35
    Veteran Member Four Rings fly300kts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 16 2008
    AZ Member #
    34255
    My Garage
    03 Golf GTI - 03 Golf 2.0l - 04 Golf 2.0L
    Location
    South Florida - Ft Lauderdale
    Items for Sale

    Dan,

    Were you able to do it?

    Phil

  36. #36
    Veteran Member Four Rings wildcat333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 25 2011
    AZ Member #
    71493
    My Garage
    2009 Suzuki GS500F
    Location
    Seacoast NH

    I figured out what I believe is the "perfect" bumper gap for me. I am leary/scared of using super-glue, so I just will keep doing this every bumper removal/install. I will share my measurement technique. I twisted down both bumper holder things all the way down. I marked/scratched each one at the 12 o'clock (top of the circle bumper holder). I then gave both of them 2 full turns and then one turn down to the 20 minute mark (so almost 2.5 turns up from when the bumper holder thing is all the way down). I also made sure that my bumper was ACTUALLY sitting on these bumper holders - I don't think they were properly sitting on them all of my previous times messing with my bumper. Just in case this helps anyone.

    Pic of my car using this technique:



    2008 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro | Light Silver | S-Line | Automatic-Tiptronic | GIAC Stage 1+ | Autotech HPFP | 135 bar PRV | 35% Tint | KW V1 Coilovers | RS4 RSB | 034 Snub Mount | Evolution Thor Skid Plate | Osram CBI 5000K D1S | Clear-Cornered | 6000K LED City Lights | LED DRLs | Paint-Matched Sidemarkers | Hoen Endurance Fogs | Interior LEDs | Plate LEDs | Upgraded Brakes | 18" RS4 Wheels | Sirius Satellite Radio Tuner | Aux-In | Hardwired Passport 8500 X50 | Hella Super Tone Horns

  37. #37
    Veteran Member Three Rings Dcass08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 21 2011
    AZ Member #
    78584
    Location
    Rochester NH

    Yeah, they don't slide on the posts very easily. Mine looks about the same as yours although I'm not happy with the fit on the sides. Wish I could get that seamless look.

  38. #38
    Veteran Member Three Rings Dcass08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 21 2011
    AZ Member #
    78584
    Location
    Rochester NH

    I got it so it looks great in the front. Just gotta tweak the sides.

  39. #39
    Established Member Two Rings smarkle78's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 30 2010
    AZ Member #
    59702
    My Garage
    2009 A4 Premium Plus w/ Navi
    Location
    Marlboro, NY

    After two years of having a bigger gap than $2 hooker at a frat house, I finally cleaned her up today. Wasn't sure what the problem was when I started, but a little research and this awesome DIY popped up. Thanks mans HUGE help !!!!!!
    When I finish the garage my mom said I can come out and play!!!!!

  40. #40
    Veteran Member Four Rings fly300kts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 16 2008
    AZ Member #
    34255
    My Garage
    03 Golf GTI - 03 Golf 2.0l - 04 Golf 2.0L
    Location
    South Florida - Ft Lauderdale
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by smarkle78 View Post
    After two years of having a bigger gap than $2 hooker at a frat house, I finally cleaned her up today. Wasn't sure what the problem was when I started, but a little research and this awesome DIY popped up. Thanks mans HUGE help !!!!!!
    You welcome

    Phil

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2018 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.