Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Established Member Two Rings BlkMaGiC 3526's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 23 2010
    AZ Member #
    53783
    Location
    Norcal / El Sobrante

    Key Fob Programming

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I bought my B5 about 1 month ago and it came with one key w/o the fob. I ordered a brand new OE fob and key. I tried programming it based on the DIY I found but I can't get it to work.

    Can someone please verify the steps on how to do this. TIA
    Jay
    03 MKIV BMP 20th AE GTI #3526 (SOLD), 89 MKII Jetta Helios GLI 16v LA5Y (SOLD), 95 MKIII GTI VR6 (SOLD)
    91 MKII Jetta GL Calypso Green LA6Z, 98 Cabrio Jazz Blue
    99.5 Audi A4 1.8TQM Melange - Unitronics, 034 DV, VDO boost gauge, Depo ecodes, 6000k DDM HID, RS4 grill, B5 S4 Avus wheels, 35% tint

  2. #2
    Established Member Two Rings BlkMaGiC 3526's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 23 2010
    AZ Member #
    53783
    Location
    Norcal / El Sobrante

    anyone
    Jay
    03 MKIV BMP 20th AE GTI #3526 (SOLD), 89 MKII Jetta Helios GLI 16v LA5Y (SOLD), 95 MKIII GTI VR6 (SOLD)
    91 MKII Jetta GL Calypso Green LA6Z, 98 Cabrio Jazz Blue
    99.5 Audi A4 1.8TQM Melange - Unitronics, 034 DV, VDO boost gauge, Depo ecodes, 6000k DDM HID, RS4 grill, B5 S4 Avus wheels, 35% tint

  3. #3
    Senior Member Three Rings jrodpikap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 23 2006
    AZ Member #
    12816
    My Garage
    2004 A4 USP 1.8T Stage 1 & 2000 A4 1.8T
    Location
    Conshohocken, PA

    PM me your email address.

  4. #4
    Veteran Member Three Rings discontained's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09 2007
    AZ Member #
    19413
    My Garage
    '01 A4 1.8t
    Location
    GA

    Quote Originally Posted by BlkMaGiC 3526 View Post
    I bought my B5 about 1 month ago and it came with one key w/o the fob. I ordered a brand new OE fob and key. I tried programming it based on the DIY I found but I can't get it to work.

    Can someone please verify the steps on how to do this. TIA
    Same here man. I have tried every DIY on the internets.

    I cant do vag-com because my ABS module is fubar and wont connect to ECU
    For Sale $3,500 -'99 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5sp
    -2001.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattromatic - BT .50 trizzle -RIP

  5. #5
    Established Member Two Rings BlkMaGiC 3526's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 23 2010
    AZ Member #
    53783
    Location
    Norcal / El Sobrante

    Quote Originally Posted by jrodpikap View Post
    PM me your email address.
    sent you a pm
    Jay
    03 MKIV BMP 20th AE GTI #3526 (SOLD), 89 MKII Jetta Helios GLI 16v LA5Y (SOLD), 95 MKIII GTI VR6 (SOLD)
    91 MKII Jetta GL Calypso Green LA6Z, 98 Cabrio Jazz Blue
    99.5 Audi A4 1.8TQM Melange - Unitronics, 034 DV, VDO boost gauge, Depo ecodes, 6000k DDM HID, RS4 grill, B5 S4 Avus wheels, 35% tint

  6. #6
    Established Member Two Rings BlkMaGiC 3526's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 23 2010
    AZ Member #
    53783
    Location
    Norcal / El Sobrante

    Quote Originally Posted by discontained View Post
    Same here man. I have tried every DIY on the internets.
    Frustrating isn't it. I tried a few times and a couple of different methods but no dice
    Jay
    03 MKIV BMP 20th AE GTI #3526 (SOLD), 89 MKII Jetta Helios GLI 16v LA5Y (SOLD), 95 MKIII GTI VR6 (SOLD)
    91 MKII Jetta GL Calypso Green LA6Z, 98 Cabrio Jazz Blue
    99.5 Audi A4 1.8TQM Melange - Unitronics, 034 DV, VDO boost gauge, Depo ecodes, 6000k DDM HID, RS4 grill, B5 S4 Avus wheels, 35% tint

  7. #7
    Veteran Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Nov 21 2006
    AZ Member #
    13576
    Location
    san francisco, ca

    Unplug the ABS module and you should be able to connect, there is a connector on the top and bottom.
    1998.5 A4 2.0TQM ADR/058, Custom ME5 tune by 034, ABA 92.8 stroke forged crank, Scat rods, JE Pistons (83mm/8.5:1), Schrick cams, Supertech springs and retainers, inconel exhaust valves (+1mm), Spa T3 mani with a Precision 5557E-B, 034 3inch exhaust, etc, etc, etc. 034 featured user

    2012 S4 Prestige, Titanium, Monsoon gray metallic, DSG. 034 ECU and TCU tunes and other bits.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Three Rings PoormansA4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 26 2009
    AZ Member #
    40399
    Location
    Wildomar,CA

    do you have to reprogram it after you replace the battery? think mine is about to crap out..also anyone else notice the shitty range on the remote?
    For sale

    wiring harness 01 1.8t
    map sensor
    stock injectors
    fuel rail
    stock FPR
    brand new front and back rotors (quattro)

  9. #9
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Feb 22 2010
    AZ Member #
    54993
    Location
    Toronto

    Don't know what diy you have found but I have had some problems doing these for a while but seem to have found a way that has consistently worked. Sorry if this is a repeat.

    One key: ignition on.
    Get out of car, close door and lock with key in drivers door.
    Press button on remote 1-4 times (puts the key in the proper position in the memory, only one key per slot so if you're adding a key, try 3?)
    Wait 8 seconds. I have found counting to 8 always works, not sure why.
    Press unlock. The lights should flash and the doors should unlock. If they did not, start over.
    Get in car, remove key from ignition and test remote.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Three Rings nyca4tqm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 26 2009
    AZ Member #
    42939
    My Garage
    American, German, Japanese.
    Location
    Orange ****y, NY

    Did you clear the memory spots prior to programming?
    A little of this and a little of that.......I like go, not show.

    2014 RS5

    Everything is relative.

  11. #11
    Established Member Two Rings BlkMaGiC 3526's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 23 2010
    AZ Member #
    53783
    Location
    Norcal / El Sobrante

    This is what I did to clear the memory and this is one of the DIY I tried ....

    copy and pasted from original post

    1) put valet into ignition and turn on
    2) get out of the car and shut the door
    3) stick fob into the door, manually turn the key to the right to lock the door
    4) within 5 seconds of locking the door, press the unlock button 4 times, wait 5 seconds and push it once.

    5) open the door
    6) turn off the ignition

    This clears ANY saved fobs that could be on your system.

    then

    1) turn valet key to the ON position
    2) get out of car and shut the door
    3) manually turn the fob to the right to lock the door
    4) within 5 seconds, press the unlock button once
    5) 5 seconds AFTER pressing the unlock button once, click it once again

    6) open the door
    7) turn the key in the ignition off
    8) REMOVE THE KEY FROM THE IGNITION

    Shut the door and try the fob.
    Jay
    03 MKIV BMP 20th AE GTI #3526 (SOLD), 89 MKII Jetta Helios GLI 16v LA5Y (SOLD), 95 MKIII GTI VR6 (SOLD)
    91 MKII Jetta GL Calypso Green LA6Z, 98 Cabrio Jazz Blue
    99.5 Audi A4 1.8TQM Melange - Unitronics, 034 DV, VDO boost gauge, Depo ecodes, 6000k DDM HID, RS4 grill, B5 S4 Avus wheels, 35% tint

  12. #12
    Established Member Two Rings BlkMaGiC 3526's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 23 2010
    AZ Member #
    53783
    Location
    Norcal / El Sobrante

    Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    Don't know what diy you have found but I have had some problems doing these for a while but seem to have found a way that has consistently worked. Sorry if this is a repeat.

    One key: ignition on.
    Get out of car, close door and lock with key in drivers door.
    Press button on remote 1-4 times (puts the key in the proper position in the memory, only one key per slot so if you're adding a key, try 3?)
    Wait 8 seconds. I have found counting to 8 always works, not sure why.
    Press unlock. The lights should flash and the doors should unlock. If they did not, start over.
    Get in car, remove key from ignition and test remote.
    Thanks! I just went out and tried this method as well and no luck
    Jay
    03 MKIV BMP 20th AE GTI #3526 (SOLD), 89 MKII Jetta Helios GLI 16v LA5Y (SOLD), 95 MKIII GTI VR6 (SOLD)
    91 MKII Jetta GL Calypso Green LA6Z, 98 Cabrio Jazz Blue
    99.5 Audi A4 1.8TQM Melange - Unitronics, 034 DV, VDO boost gauge, Depo ecodes, 6000k DDM HID, RS4 grill, B5 S4 Avus wheels, 35% tint

  13. #13
    Senior Member Three Rings nyca4tqm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 26 2009
    AZ Member #
    42939
    My Garage
    American, German, Japanese.
    Location
    Orange ****y, NY

    DIY remote key reprogarmming
    Start at the beginning, did you get the right FCC ID remote? remote batteries? good? Then you have to clear the channels on your car, there are 4 if my memory serves me right. After that only then you can program the remote to your car. This is the procedure I used
    You need 2 keys..I suggest you put a window all the way down in the event of an issue. FYI I have a 98 B5 A4. This worked for me, try it.

    Clearing of Memory positions.

    - Switch ignition on using one key.
    - Lock vehicle from outside at driver's door using separate key.
    - Press "unlock" button on the remote transmitter key 5 times in one second intervals.
    The emergency flashers and or the anti theft system horn confirms every press of the button.
    - After 6 seconds, press the remote transmitter "unlock" button to confirm the memory positions are now cleared. The central locking system should not unlock.
    - Switch the ignition off.
    - Up to 4 keys can now be coded again.

    Coding procedure. 2 keys are required for this also. Be sure that keys being coded are coded to free memory spots, if not the remotes previously programmed will no longer work.

    - switch the ignition on using one key
    - lock the vehicle from outside the drivers door using the key to be coded
    - press "unlock" button within 5 seconds often enough to reach the next memory position (ie push 2 times for memory slot 2)

    The emergency flashers and or the anti theft horn willl confirm every press of the button

    - wait 5 seconds.
    - now press "unlock" button one more time (vehicle unlocks)
    - switch the ignition off and remove the ignition key
    - check function of the new transmitter

    Procedure for re-coding an existing transmitter

    - press "lock" or "unlock" button of the remote transmitter
    - within 30 seconds, lock and unlock the vehicle using the driver side lock. (this means with the key in the lock)
    - now check function of the re-coded remote transmission.
    A little of this and a little of that.......I like go, not show.

    2014 RS5

    Everything is relative.

  14. #14
    Established Member Two Rings BlkMaGiC 3526's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 23 2010
    AZ Member #
    53783
    Location
    Norcal / El Sobrante

    ^^The remote should be right. I got the part number from the dealer and ordered it from ECS. The batteries are supposedly new but I am going to buy another battery and see if that helps.

    In the DIYs I find it usually mentions you will see the lights flash or horn honk. What happens if I don't get either?
    Jay
    03 MKIV BMP 20th AE GTI #3526 (SOLD), 89 MKII Jetta Helios GLI 16v LA5Y (SOLD), 95 MKIII GTI VR6 (SOLD)
    91 MKII Jetta GL Calypso Green LA6Z, 98 Cabrio Jazz Blue
    99.5 Audi A4 1.8TQM Melange - Unitronics, 034 DV, VDO boost gauge, Depo ecodes, 6000k DDM HID, RS4 grill, B5 S4 Avus wheels, 35% tint

  15. #15
    Veteran Member Three Rings discontained's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09 2007
    AZ Member #
    19413
    My Garage
    '01 A4 1.8t
    Location
    GA

    Quote Originally Posted by BlkMaGiC 3526 View Post
    ^^The remote should be right. I got the part number from the dealer and ordered it from ECS. The batteries are supposedly new but I am going to buy another battery and see if that helps.

    In the DIYs I find it usually mentions you will see the lights flash or horn honk. What happens if I don't get either?
    same boat with you, i got new batteries to play it safe.

    HOWEVER! i did get it to blink once one time when i did this

    turn the ignition on with valet key, close door, lock/ within 5 sec hit unlock 1 time and then again (it flashed) then thats as far as I could get any response from the car.
    For Sale $3,500 -'99 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5sp
    -2001.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattromatic - BT .50 trizzle -RIP

  16. #16
    Established Member Two Rings pologk04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 12 2008
    AZ Member #
    32967
    My Garage
    2001 A4 2.8Q Sport
    Location
    South Pasadena, CA

    I'll be replacing my only key with a working remote this week (keys don't like to get wet ) and just got off the phone with a local reputable Audi shop (2Bennett Audimotive, Davis, CA). They said that only the dealership can reprogram my new remote due to the fact that late 2001 models have an immobilizer. I noticed that a couple of you have 01's, so maybe thats your problem. Still waiting to find out how much the stealership wants to reprogram a remote.

    Sorry to bring this thread up from the dead by the way...
    2001 2.8Q Sport.

  17. #17
    Veteran Member Four Rings mec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 25 2010
    AZ Member #
    61858
    My Garage
    Spare engines!
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Items for Sale

    Hey everyone,

    I seem to be getting the same problem as discontained and blkMagic 3526. I insert the valey key into the ignition, turn it one click so that the car is on but the engine is not running. I get out of the car, use the key fob i am trying to program and insert it into the drivers door key slot. Turn the key to the right to lock it. At this point I hit the unlock button, however, when I do I don't get any type of beep or honk. The batteries in the remote are good because the key fob light flashes. Is it necessary to wipe the car's memory in order to start programming any keys? Also I have an A4 b7, does this mean that I need to go to the dealer to get it programmed?

  18. #18
    Active Member Two Rings BWALb5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 29 2008
    AZ Member #
    35796
    My Garage
    2001 audi a4 1.8tqms
    Location
    edison nj

    hey pologk04 how much did the stealership end up charging you ive tried every diy on my 01

  19. #19
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Sep 21 2014
    AZ Member #
    284080
    My Garage
    2001 b5 a4 1.8l awm quartro, 2014 corolla s plus, 2013 corolla s
    Location
    anderson south carolina

    I hate resurrect the topic but I got my b5 a few months ago and it only came with a fob and it doesn't work with my vin I have a early 01 so do I have to get it programed by the dealer or do I need to get valet key or can vag com program it?
    2001 b5 a4 1.8l awm quarto: ebay short shift kit, jhm solid linkage upgrade, crown royal apple shifter boot

  20. #20
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Mar 06 2015
    AZ Member #
    318938
    My Garage
    2004 F150
    Location
    NOVATO, CA

    Critical

    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Unplug the ABS module and you should be able to connect, there is a connector on the top and bottom.
    Unplugging the second two prong plug on the bottom is the missing piece of the puzzle for connecting vcds lite if you have a bad abs module in my experience. Thank you!

  21. #21
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Mar 06 2015
    AZ Member #
    318938
    My Garage
    2004 F150
    Location
    NOVATO, CA

    From Blckmagic: "This is what I did to clear the memory and this is one of the DIY I tried ....

    copy and pasted from original post

    1) put valet into ignition and turn on
    2) get out of the car and shut the door
    3) stick fob into the door, manually turn the key to the right to lock the door
    4) within 5 seconds of locking the door, press the unlock button 4 times, wait 5 seconds and push it once.

    5) open the door
    6) turn off the ignition
    This clears ANY saved fobs that could be on your system."

    This worked for me. First I ordered a second key and new fob from dealer. I tried all 1400 d.i.y.s and did not get any lights to flash or horn. Vcds would connect but would not erase or program. So I cracked to cover on the Central locking pump and found obvious water damage and massive corrosion on the board. I popped in a used one from junkyard with no visible damage. That procedure worked first time. The door unlocked itself when I pushed the unlock button the final time and the fob was synced. I successfully synced a second remote by adding it to position two. (Step 4: press unlock twice, wait five seconds, press unlock.) Now I feel like a king!
    Last edited by griffdra; 07-15-2015 at 12:49 PM.

  22. #22
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Mar 06 2015
    AZ Member #
    318938
    My Garage
    2004 F150
    Location
    NOVATO, CA

    Critical

    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Unplug the ABS module and you should be able to connect, there is a connector on the top and bottom.
    Unplugging the second two prong plug on the bottom is the missing piece of the puzzle for connecting vcds lite if you have a bad abs module in my experience. Thank you!

  23. #23
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Jul 14 2013
    AZ Member #
    118882
    Location
    Fergus Falls, MN

    Quote Originally Posted by nyca4tqm View Post
    DIY remote key reprogarmming
    Start at the beginning, did you get the right FCC ID remote? remote batteries? good? Then you have to clear the channels on your car, there are 4 if my memory serves me right. After that only then you can program the remote to your car. This is the procedure I used
    You need 2 keys..I suggest you put a window all the way down in the event of an issue. FYI I have a 98 B5 A4. This worked for me, try it.

    Clearing of Memory positions.

    - Switch ignition on using one key.
    - Lock vehicle from outside at driver's door using separate key.
    - Press "unlock" button on the remote transmitter key 5 times in one second intervals.
    The emergency flashers and or the anti theft system horn confirms every press of the button.
    - After 6 seconds, press the remote transmitter "unlock" button to confirm the memory positions are now cleared. The central locking system should not unlock.
    - Switch the ignition off.
    - Up to 4 keys can now be coded again.

    Coding procedure. 2 keys are required for this also. Be sure that keys being coded are coded to free memory spots, if not the remotes previously programmed will no longer work.

    - switch the ignition on using one key
    - lock the vehicle from outside the drivers door using the key to be coded
    - press "unlock" button within 5 seconds often enough to reach the next memory position (ie push 2 times for memory slot 2)

    The emergency flashers and or the anti theft horn willl confirm every press of the button

    - wait 5 seconds.
    - now press "unlock" button one more time (vehicle unlocks)
    - switch the ignition off and remove the ignition key
    - check function of the new transmitter

    Procedure for re-coding an existing transmitter

    - press "lock" or "unlock" button of the remote transmitter
    - within 30 seconds, lock and unlock the vehicle using the driver side lock. (this means with the key in the lock)
    - now check function of the re-coded remote transmission.
    This worked for me as written but I did not get any beeps or flashes at any point during the programming. I proceeded through the directions anyway with success.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2017 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.