Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: Coolant Leak

Established Member Two Rings b5dippin's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    99' A4 fwd

Coolant Leak

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I did some research before posting a new thread.

I know i have a coolant leak because there is a pink crusted stuff where there is two coolant lines going into the oil cooler (which is what your oil filter screws onto). i am already going to purchase does

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...ng%20Line/Hose

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...ng%20Line/Hose

I've had this problem for a while now and have lagged it to fix it, but this morning when i started my car to go to work my coolant light in the instrument cluster turned on. it was flashing for a while and i stopped and poured some coolant (g12) with water since it was LOW.

my question is how many hoses are connected to the reservoir tank because when i was pouring the coolant part of it was coming out from the bottom of the reservoir tank there is like a nipple there and it makes me think a silicone hose goes there.

I only see one fat hose connecting to the reservoir right in front of the tank.

anyone know what im talking bout? i would take pics but no cam... :(

i have a 99.5 a4

Account Terminated Four Rings Neo1130's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4, Audi TT

Sounds like you may need a new res too...

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    99' A4 fwd

oh really ...

you think my reservoir is f-up?

I thought it had to have a hose where that nipple goes underneath the res...but if you dont think so...well damn
    i hope it aint much.

anyone else had a similar problem?

i may try ecs tunin to see if they have em stocked..

Veteran Member Four Rings LateraLex's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A4 1.8tQM 01

Worldimpex.com has the tanks for $40, I'm sure they have all the hoses you need a good price. You might want to get a new one anyways because the stock ones are yellow by now and it's hard to see the coolant.

If you go with worldimpex I would call them.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    99' A4 fwd

I found a new reservoir tank with a level sensor for $28.12

red arrow-i believe on that side there is a nipple looking thing that were i think there was a hose or something because when i pour coolant or water part of it comes out from there.

Green arrow is the sensor

yellow- is where the coolant hose goes

is there any other hoses connected to out tanks besides these??

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '14 Q5 TDI Prestige & '14 Q5 TDI Premium Plus

Check the pipe that goes into the back of the engine. There is a seal that sits inside of it that wears out. That's a common place to check. I think it's called a crack pipe or something like that. It sits right above the intake manifold and goes down to the back of the engine where it bolts in place. Oh yeah, the piece it bolts to is plastic so be careful.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    99' A4 fwd

and that piece you are talking about connects to the reservoir tank where the red arrow is??

because when i pour any liquid in the tank it just comes out like if i was pouring it and it is coming out of the next hole. wtf?

i tried looking if there was a hole in the tank but it was too hot ...

Veteran Member Four Rings LateraLex's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A4 1.8tQM 01

There is definitely a hose you are missing. If someone else doesnt chime in I can take a look under my hood after work.

Where did you find the coolant tank at that price?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    99' A4 fwd

thats what im thinking because it just pours out...

the coolant tank is at that price on http://www.autohausaz.com/search/car...nt%20Reservoir

the cap is an extra $6.00. Please can somene chime on this...

if not LateralLex it would be great if you took a look at your car?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    99' A4 fwd

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4, Audi TT

The only two hoses you see on this picture should be the only two connected to the res... I have never seen anything hooked to that nipple... I have seen that part fail on a bunch of S4's but no A4's... Like I said, you need a new res...

Registered Member Four Rings burner799's Avatar
    AZ Member #

hey dude, i have the exact same problem on my car....been lagging to get it fixed as well. I think its cause the clamps are hella shitty on our cars. How much did the hoses and new clamps cost you? i need to order some too.
    Ti.Sline: yeah my dads got shit in order
    SkunkonCrunk: i had to pay $300 and fight the city after they sprayed a bike lane on my car
    SkunkonCrunk: i hear ya, i know u guys dont get along but let bigons be bigons, or however u spell it, im at a two year

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    99' A4 fwd

total for the two hoses not including shipping or clamps was $8 bucks and some change...condsidering they are about 60-80 for both at the dealer (rusnak)

the reservoir tank was 28

i place my order a couple hours ago.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    99' A4 fwd

does anyone know if i do a swap for a new coolant reservoir...do i have to do a coolant flush???

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    97 A41.8QM

ok that little tube is a drain tube. it's supposed to be there and has no hose connected to it. On our car the reservoir is pressurized. If too much pressure builds in the cooling system/reservoir the cap will vent. It may vent coolant and this is where the coolant will drain out. When you are filling coolant, you have to get it in the center hole or it will just come out. I'm not saying that you don't need a reservoir, because there is just one plastic wall seperating that drain tube and the pressurized tank, it's just a suggestion. As far as the "pink crusted stuff" that does signify a coolant leak but usually not a huge one and often just the hose clamps can be replaced it's leaking past a clamp. Just a thought or two from a mechanic that doesn't just throw parts at a car and hope it fixes them.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    99' A4 fwd

thanks bro i was just worried if there was a hose that i missed that had to go there on that nipple....

Once i receive my order i will replace the two hoses w/ new clamps that go in and out from the oil cooler (pain in the ass)

also i noticed that when i drive now i have a major leak because when i drive from point a to point b i have to add water/coolant because it falls out somewhere and thats another leak....

when i get to my car i see a puddle that has leaked...

any ideas where i should start looking ???

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4, Audi TT

Your resivoir is probably fubared like said before... When the system pressurizes, it will over flow out that tube on the bottom... Also, MAY want to check to see if your cap is bad... But the way it sounds since when you fill up and coolant comes out that hole on the bottom, the resi is messed up...

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    99' A4 fwd

Just wanted to update all of you that i received my parts yesterday (i.e. two hoses and new res.)

I took the day of work since i needed my car to cool down and if i went to work i would have not been able to work since i have no light and the car would still have been hot.

The change was about a total of 30mins... very straight forward on what needed to be done.

I hasnt leaked....since yesterday...(fingers crossed)

I will post up picks of the horrible old hoses...for future refference.

Thanks,

Peace

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4, Audi TT

So did you just change the resivoir or did you throw on a new resivoir cap too?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    99' A4 fwd

Well for now i just did the res.. i used the same cap although i know i shouldnt and its only 8 bucks from the same place...i wasnt being a cheapskate i just ordered the two hoses and res at the time ...

Veteran Member Three Rings d_maniac's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    99.5 A4 1.8T Q, 2004 A4 1.8T

theres a busted hose in the back on my engine that has pink stuff crusted around it and some on the tranny...i think i have a leak there...no wonder why my car is burning coolant. Anyone have a part number or name???