Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Which tuner you chose and why...

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Just picked up a 2017 s3 and was going to do stage 2 apr again. I had it on my 2017 a3 quattro and loved it.

I've noticed a lot of people on here used UM. I looked into them and it seems they're claiming slightly more power than apr. Dont know anything else about them though.

So who did you choose and why?

Veteran Member Four Rings Spinnetti's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Rockford.. that's a flashback.. rode my bicycle through there on my way to sleeping bear sand dunes (from Lansing) many years ago.

I've done 8 tunes now I think? Any stage I tune is ok, and I doubt you could tell a seat of the pants difference between them. Ability to flash from home, local availability and price are probably more salient. Past stage I, I've had issues with APR stuff twice (both software and hardware) so probably won't use their software again as service was terrible. I do run their downpipe and intake on my S3 currently tho. I've also used Revo and Unitronic. Uni is good but didn't deliver all the promised features (no left foot braking) for my S3 and have some odd hiccups under full throttle with the transmission ecu/tcu tune combo in "D" mode (but fine in "S"). Dunno about UM, IE or 034, though I've been happy with lots of stuff from 034. I also tried HPA but after like 3 months (after I paid) they weren't able to deliver. As always YMMV. I'd be tempted these days to try UM, IE or 034 as I haven't used those yet.
    2015 S3: Uni Stage 2 ECU/TCU / RS7 Beru plugs/ 034 chassis and suspension/ APR Intake, Turbo inlet & Downpipe / ECS resonator delete / Neuspeed turbo muffler delete & discharge piping / Majesty FMIC / 255/235 stagger on 18x9 et30
    2008 R8 V8 Manual: Uni 93 ECU tune / Avior Exhaust / 15mm Spacers / R8 Puddle lights / Custom mats
    1991 LS400: 99' GS400 driveline and literally every part replaced or modified in some way (24hrs of Lemons car)

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Uni, customer service and ability to change maps at home.
    2019 Nardo Grey RS3

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    996tt

I have had 5 audi/vw cars with tunes from different companies and I am about the sell my B8 S4 and end up in a 8v S3.

My experience below:

I had a 04.5 GLI with a GIAC tune. I went with them because they, at the time, had the most aggressive tune, I was a high school kid and, didnt think much of anything about anything other than 1.8t neva lose and moar power. As soon as I was driving home from the shop that tuned the car I was getting real bad surging. another 100 dollars later a race N75 valve fixed that. I never had any issues after that and that car went on to have full bolt-ons.

The next car was a 04 R32. Fucking miss that thing. I went with a UM tune as that was once again the best tune around for that car bar none and that was the forum consensus. I loved it. It took a little getting used to as I had never been in a N/A car before to begin with, nevermind with a tune, but as son as i got used to the throttle response, it was fantastic.

During the R32's tenure I picked up a 01.5 A4 to drive daily as I was tracking the R32 pretty regularly. This A4 had GIAC again. Now the car came tuned, so I did not have a choice but it worked well. No issues there with their software or any of the hardware on that car.

I eventually moved on the from that A4 and got into a A4 Ultra Sport (B6). This car had a ko4 on it, full bolt-ons and a few other odds and ends. It came with Revo stage 1 which was a horrible tune. It was rough and ran super rich. I think it was because the prior owner was an idiot and put the ko4 on the car, but nothing else. So it was not fueled or turboed correctly. 1 month after getting it I went back to UM. I got their ko4 tune and it was smooth sailing from there. I also learnt that injector spray pattern is a big thing. I had some 440cc injectors laying around from a friend who ended up not using them for one of his builds and I figured I could put those in. I was wrong. The UM tune required the green giants and did not work with the other injectors even tho they were both 440cc. Once the GGs were in, ran perfectly until I popped the head. Opps.

I sold the R32, got a 996tt, still have that, havent turned it yet other than exhaust and a few real minor things.

I sold the B6 and bougt a b8 S4. It has APR TCU and Stage 2 ECU tunes. Its blah. Sure its smooth, but I honestly couldnt tell the different TCU shift wise when I drove a Stock S3 and then the S4 with the TCU tune back to back. If I could do it again, it would be IE or UM. But that B8 is a FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT because the DSG transmission in it is a complete PIECE OF SHIT. So I am moving on and getting ride of that PIECE OF SHIT and getting a S3.

I will probably go with IE or UM for the S3 when the time comes if it doesnt already have a tune on it when I buy it. APR is overrated and underpowered compared to other tunes on the market. They are just more conservative. Nothing wrong with that, but its a fact.
    Garage:
    04 996TT X50, 06 Boxster S, 88 911 Targa, 10 B8 S4

Veteran Member Four Rings coolwater's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 Q5 Ibis on Black AWD

I have had Eurodyne for 4 years. 3.5 yrs on stage 2. No issues and free updates to different stages. Cheapest option, but there isnít much customer service available.

If you know your way around a PC then you should be fine. Flash from home for TCU & ECU, all stages including the flash Cable is around $1100.

-cW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 S3 Mythos Black on Red Magma Leather - V810 - Bilstein B14 - AWE DP - aFe
    2018 Q5 Ibis on Black P+

Gone - 2014 Audi A5 2.0T - 2013 S4 3.0 -2010 A4 2.0T
    New Build Thread: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-Magma-2015-S3
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4z...OgbcLzxwZEOt1A

Veteran Member Four Rings MikTip's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I researched every available tune for my S3. Wanted the TVS, but no US available at the time...

Wanted IE...not available at the time...

Was recommended UM here on the forum... Liked what they had to offer, with the DSG and Haldex tunes. Bought the whole package.
    2015 S3 * United MotorSports Tuned * Eurocode Anti-sway bars * Mid-muffler delete * 3.5" Exhaust tips * 19x8.5 Konigs

Established Member Two Rings smirk's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I went with 034 motorsports becuase I live in the Bay Area and they are a very reputable and local shop. It was nice being albe to take the vehicle there to get tuned and talk with the people at the company. I got the ecuand tcu stage 1. If I ever want to go stage 2 I just pay the difference in the price of the tune, and I can bring it to them to put it back to stock whenever I want. No complaints so far.

Established Member Two Rings normcaldwell's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I have 12,000 miles with the UM trio of files; ECU, DSG, Haldex.
    Love 'em. All performance aspects noticeably improved. No CEL, no issues. Runs beautifully.
    About 2k miles ago, I replaced my spark plugs. The old ones looked good.
    2016 Audi S3, Misano Red Pearl Effect, Prestige, Black Optic, S Sport Seats.
    United Motorsport ECM, DSG, and Haldex files; AWE catted-resonated downpipe; APR intercooler and silicone hoses; RS3 ignition coils; RS7 NGK plugs;
    034 dynamic camber mounts; 034 rear sway bar and end links; Intake duct mod; B9 A4/A5 PCV Plate 06K103495BL; ECS catch can.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Iím also considering tuning my 16 s3 and looking at both the APR and UM tunes, Iíd be going from stock to stage 2 so it will be a noticeable difference. For those of you that decided not to do APR was it because there wasnít a local shop near to give support, I have one about 40min away from where I live so it would be easy for me to have any issues fixed if they came up

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
    Rockford.. that's a flashback.. rode my bicycle through there on my way to sleeping bear sand dunes (from Lansing) many years ago.

I've done 8 tunes now I think? Any stage I tune is ok, and I doubt you could tell a seat of the pants difference between them. Ability to flash from home, local availability and price are probably more salient. Past stage I, I've had issues with APR stuff twice (both software and hardware) so probably won't use their software again as service was terrible. I do run their downpipe and intake on my S3 currently tho. I've also used Revo and Unitronic. Uni is good but didn't deliver all the promised features (no left foot braking) for my S3 and have some odd hiccups under full throttle with the transmission ecu/tcu tune combo in "D" mode (but fine in "S"). Dunno about UM, IE or 034, though I've been happy with lots of stuff from 034. I also tried HPA but after like 3 months (after I paid) they weren't able to deliver. As always YMMV. I'd be tempted these days to try UM, IE or 034 as I haven't used those yet.
    Spinnetti, how do you know I live in rockford? Lol and that's cool do you currently live in Lansing?

And what issues did you have with Apr? I was stage 2 for 20k miles and didn't have an issue at all with them. I am leaning toward um at the moment I think. Only thing holding me back is I've never used them. I'm so familiar with apr and the best shop in town for audi is an apr dealer.

AZ Member #

Your sig says Rockford ;) I'm from E.l. within sight of MSU campus, but have lived away the last 20 years and am currently in Dallas. I had software bugs and exhaust failures on my A4 that cost me thousands. Its fine when it works, but support was horrible when it didn't. I've had good tunes from them too, but mostly unhappy with support. Most of the basic tunes seem fine, and some folks really rave about UM though I haven't tried them yet. Given the quality of the other stuff I got from 034 (lots of it), I'll prolly try them on my next one.
    2015 S3: Uni Stage 2 ECU/TCU / RS7 Beru plugs/ 034 chassis and suspension/ APR Intake, Turbo inlet & Downpipe / ECS resonator delete / Neuspeed turbo muffler delete & discharge piping / Majesty FMIC / 255/235 stagger on 18x9 et30
    2008 R8 V8 Manual: Uni 93 ECU tune / Avior Exhaust / 15mm Spacers / R8 Puddle lights / Custom mats
    1991 LS400: 99' GS400 driveline and literally every part replaced or modified in some way (24hrs of Lemons car)

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Drkstorm View Post
    Iím also considering tuning my 16 s3 and looking at both the APR and UM tunes, Iíd be going from stock to stage 2 so it will be a noticeable difference. For those of you that decided not to do APR was it because there wasnít a local shop near to give support, I have one about 40min away from where I live so it would be easy for me to have any issues fixed if they came up
    I'm in the exact same situation. Seems apr is the only local dealer. Concerned about using anyone else without local support.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Gberg888 View Post
    I have had 5 audi/vw cars with tunes from different companies and I am about the sell my B8 S4 and end up in a 8v S3.

My experience below:

I had a 04.5 GLI with a GIAC tune. I went with them because they, at the time, had the most aggressive tune, I was a high school kid and, didnt think much of anything about anything other than 1.8t neva lose and moar power. As soon as I was driving home from the shop that tuned the car I was getting real bad surging. another 100 dollars later a race N75 valve fixed that. I never had any issues after that and that car went on to have full bolt-ons.

The next car was a 04 R32. Fucking miss that thing. I went with a UM tune as that was once again the best tune around for that car bar none and that was the forum consensus. I loved it. It took a little getting used to as I had never been in a N/A car before to begin with, nevermind with a tune, but as son as i got used to the throttle response, it was fantastic.

During the R32's tenure I picked up a 01.5 A4 to drive daily as I was tracking the R32 pretty regularly. This A4 had GIAC again. Now the car came tuned, so I did not have a choice but it worked well. No issues there with their software or any of the hardware on that car.

I eventually moved on the from that A4 and got into a A4 Ultra Sport (B6). This car had a ko4 on it, full bolt-ons and a few other odds and ends. It came with Revo stage 1 which was a horrible tune. It was rough and ran super rich. I think it was because the prior owner was an idiot and put the ko4 on the car, but nothing else. So it was not fueled or turboed correctly. 1 month after getting it I went back to UM. I got their ko4 tune and it was smooth sailing from there. I also learnt that injector spray pattern is a big thing. I had some 440cc injectors laying around from a friend who ended up not using them for one of his builds and I figured I could put those in. I was wrong. The UM tune required the green giants and did not work with the other injectors even tho they were both 440cc. Once the GGs were in, ran perfectly until I popped the head. Opps.

I sold the R32, got a 996tt, still have that, havent turned it yet other than exhaust and a few real minor things.

I sold the B6 and bougt a b8 S4. It has APR TCU and Stage 2 ECU tunes. Its blah. Sure its smooth, but I honestly couldnt tell the different TCU shift wise when I drove a Stock S3 and then the S4 with the TCU tune back to back. If I could do it again, it would be IE or UM. But that B8 is a FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT because the DSG transmission in it is a complete PIECE OF SHIT. So I am moving on and getting ride of that PIECE OF SHIT and getting a S3.

I will probably go with IE or UM for the S3 when the time comes if it doesnt already have a tune on it when I buy it. APR is overrated and underpowered compared to other tunes on the market. They are just more conservative. Nothing wrong with that, but its a fact.
    Thanks for the insight. Good to hear from someone that can compare a lot of them! I had giac on my first car too! 1.8t gli. White with everything blacked out. Loved it at the time but compared to today's standards I'm sure it was slow. I'll look into ie. Havent researched them.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

After some more research I'm very interested in IE and revo. More so IE. Any one have experience with them?

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

When I went on UM website I didnít find any info on their stage 2 software, am I missing something on their website?

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

When I went on UM website I didnít find any info on their stage 2 software, am I missing something on their website?
    I saw it on there. Just scroll down from stage 1. Their numbers were about the same as apr stage 2 high torque map but their website is part of what's making me nervous about them. It's a terrible website with almost no info on it. I feel more comfortable when they post about their r&d etc. And have hardware to go with it. Even just a better site would make me feel better.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I saw the numbers but wasnít sure what stage that was or what that included, or it was to the wheels or crank and what not... their website leaves a lot to be desired... also why Iím hesitant about them

Established Member Two Rings normcaldwell's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin quattro View Post
    I saw it on there. Just scroll down from stage 1. Their numbers were about the same as apr stage 2 high torque map but their website is part of what's making me nervous about them. It's a terrible website with almost no info on it. I feel more comfortable when they post about their r&d etc. And have hardware to go with it. Even just a better site would make me feel better.
    If you have an indy shop near you that you trust, and if they are a UM dealer, you will get the info and support you need.
    They are a small shop, mainly two extremely talented tuners; and they are not into pretty websites.
    What I've learned has been from word-of-mouth, and a local indy shop I trust.

I've had APR (plugs were showing too lean of a condition, and I could never get a response from APR).
    I've had Revo.
    I'll take UM any day, including their Haldex file.

Having said all that, you should be fine going with whatever tuning option you feel most comfortable with.
    There are a lot of options; which is a good thing!
    2016 Audi S3, Misano Red Pearl Effect, Prestige, Black Optic, S Sport Seats.
    United Motorsport ECM, DSG, and Haldex files; AWE catted-resonated downpipe; APR intercooler and silicone hoses; RS3 ignition coils; RS7 NGK plugs;
    034 dynamic camber mounts; 034 rear sway bar and end links; Intake duct mod; B9 A4/A5 PCV Plate 06K103495BL; ECS catch can.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

UM appears less canned, more custom.
    2017 Ibis TT 11/4/2017 || Austins-Michelin Snows 11/17 || MSS KIT 2/18 || StopTech ST40 BBK 3/22 || REMUS valved axle back exhaust w/black tips 5/1 || Black Optic grill 5/31 Black Optic mirror caps 9/22 ll
    NEUSPEED RSE10 18/9/45 5/31 || Michelin Sport 4S 245/40/18 5/31 || 034 Motorsport res delete 6/5 ll 034 Motorsports rear sway bar and links 10/25 lol NEUSPEED RSe52 18/9/40 Michelin Snows 245/40/18 11/18

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 Audi S3 and Honda V65 Magna

The real question is, does any of them avoid the dreaded compressor surge...?
    2016 S3 APR Stage 2 ECU and TCU/CTS Turbo catted downpipe/K&N Filter and modified stock intake/RS3 Coils/RS7 NGK spark plugs

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by s3apr"d View Post
    The real question is, does any of them avoid the dreaded compressor surge...?

? What tunes have surge? I had several brands across a bunch of cars and "Stage" levels and didn't get surge.

Registered Member One Ring wrager's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I went with IE stage 1 ECU/TCU tune on my 15' A3 quattro (30k miles). It's the only mod I have other than the BMC air filter. I love it. It feels almost as quick as my GLA45 AMG. The mid range is really where I feel it.
    2015 A3 cab w/ IE stage 1 and Magnaflow cat back.
    2019 MB GLA 45 AMG with OE tune.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by wrager View Post
    I went with IE stage 1 ECU/TCU tune on my 15' A3 quattro (30k miles). It's the only mod I have other than the BMC air filter. I love it. It feels almost as quick as my GLA45 AMG. The mid range is really where I feel it.
    Cool glad to hear from someone who has it. Did you flash it yourself or take it to a shop? I'll need to do it myself which I've never done.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    LSX swapped 86 cutlass 442

i am UM "stage 2" i have all their files. ecu, tcu and haldex and i absolutely love it. their website does suck. it was already mentioned they are a small shop and put all their work and resources into tuning and not their website. my said that the numbers you see are wheel number and not crank. you can flash from home with UM they offer a cable. i am not sure how much it is though. i have been stage 2 since 39k miles and i am at 48k now so almost 10k miles and have had ZERO issues. i just went on a road trip to nashville from chicago and no issues at all. only stopped once for gas on the way their with multiple 80-150 pulls and other pulls where i let out around 130. the s3 is truly an amazing car
    2016 S3 UM ecu, tcu and haldex tuned. APR down pipe, Unitronic intercooler, dogbone insert, 034 turbo muffler delete and cts turbo inlet pipe.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Where is UMs stage 2 tune listed, or does the 1300$ package include all the tunes for dsg/ecu?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

with UM you do not pay for stage 2. once you purchase the tune its yours. so stage 1 you would get tuned and if you wanted to go stage 2 you just purchase the downpipe and go to the tuner and get updated to stage 2 at no cost. if i remember correctly the numbers on the website are with a downpipe but i am not positive. with UM you can also run up to an e30 blend. i put in 3-3.5 gallons of e85 every time i fill up and the car absolutely LOVES it! i have downpipe, intercooler, drop in air filter, turbo inlet pipe and turbo muffler delete running 29 psi and have had no problems at all. $1300 would include ecu and tcu tunes. no additional fee to flash to stage 2 once you purchase a downpipe.
    2016 S3 UM ecu, tcu and haldex tuned. APR down pipe, Unitronic intercooler, dogbone insert, 034 turbo muffler delete and cts turbo inlet pipe.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

So would I just have to contact them once I put a down pipe on? If I get Um I plan on gettin the home tool so I can upload from home to make my life easier, or when I buy it should I tell them I want the option to switch from stage 1 to stage 2 since the downpipe is on the way?

AZ Member #

So would I just have to contact them once I put a down pipe on? If I get Um I plan on gettin the home tool so I can upload from home to make my life easier, or when I buy it should I tell them I want the option to switch from stage 1 to stage 2 since the downpipe is on the way?
    Ok just to clarify: UM doesnít tune in stages on the MQB 4cyl. Itís one file that is adjustable with the dealer tool or the at home tool. So once you put the downpipe on (provided you get flashed with the CEL-delete file the first time around) all you need to do is adjust the boost setting from your tool. Typically ďstage 1Ē is ~25psi and ďstage 2Ē is ~27-28psi.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BP11 View Post
    Ok just to clarify: UM doesnít tune in stages on the MQB 4cyl. Itís one file that is adjustable with the dealer tool or the at home tool. So once you put the downpipe on (provided you get flashed with the CEL-delete file the first time around) all you need to do is adjust the boost setting from your tool. Typically ďstage 1Ē is ~25psi and ďstage 2Ē is ~27-28psi.

this is correct. i just kept it simple and said stage 2 because everyone knows stage 2 as having a downpipe.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

For the UM tune is the pops and bangs function available like you can get with APR? I know itís not really performance related but sometimes itís cool to be able to turn on when I wanna be a little louder.
    2016 Audi s3: stock, ordered AWE carbon fiber intake/custom built Intercooler/borla catback
    2007 Subaru STi: built block, big turbo 605whp/530ft-Lbs (sold)
    2013 Scion FRS: full bolt on, turbo 400whp/312ft-Lbs (sold)
    2013 Chevy Silverado: built 6.2, supercharged 780whp/690ft-Lbs (sold)

AZ Member #
    My Garage

nah, UM isnt gimmicky like that. i know what you mean though. i too asked about that haha. it would be cool at times but its a gimmick

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Who needs good fuel economy when you can crackle about 😂, but yeah I knew itís a gimmick just uses more fuel than needed when letting off the throttle so it doesnít get burned all the way to make the pops and stuff... oh well lol
    2016 Audi s3: stock, ordered AWE carbon fiber intake/custom built Intercooler/borla catback

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Anyone know max boost our blocks can hold stock? If I get the UM tune it looks like you can set boost level so I wouldnít want to exceed pressure and cause a danger to my manifold 😂

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited

Is there a reason no other tuners other than UM offer a Haldex tune? For those with the Haldex tune, what is the biggest difference with/without the tune with all other factors being equal?

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Oh in for info since I am now considering UM because of the Haldex tune as well 😂

AZ Member #
    My Garage

i am at 29psi and have been at 29psi with and without an intercooler and have been totally fine. you probably wouldnt want to go more than 30psi though.

i love the haldex tune. when launching the car it doesnt feel like youre being pulled forward as much. if youve launched the car hard then you will know what im talking about. because of that the launch feels so much better and more smooth. i feel like the haldex tune made a HUGE difference. i think the rear engages much quicker.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Thatís good info, I will actually have an Intercooler on before the downpipe since my buddy hooked me up and is making me one next I guess Iíll grab the UM tune at this point and then a downpipe. For the UM tune Iím guessing the alcohol content percentage is for if you are running a meth kit?

AZ Member #

Anyone know max boost our blocks can hold stock? If I get the UM tune it looks like you can set boost level so I wouldnít want to exceed pressure and cause a danger to my manifold
    So, 29ish psi is all the stock MAP sensors can read. While yes the interface allows you to Ďset your owní max boost, the software itself is internally limited so that end users cannot mess it up. It will not make more than 29psi. And quite frankly you wouldnít want to. After ~27ish psi all youíre really doing is making more heat.

AZ Member #

Thatís good info, I will actually have an Intercooler on before the downpipe since my buddy hooked me up and is making me one next I guess Iíll grab the UM tune at this point and then a downpipe. For the UM tune Iím guessing the alcohol content percentage is for if you are running a meth kit?
    UM does not tune for meth. Lol.

Alcohol content kit (proflex) is for running e85. If you have MPI/LPFP and the flex sensor you can run any blend of e85 and pump gas that you want and the car adjusts on its own.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Thanks for the info, and yeah I wasnít sure about the alcohol but I was thinking either meth or e85 so that helps, and should someone upgrade their map sensor if they are maxing out what it can track to avoid overboost issues?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast