Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Turbo self destructed.

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    so i need a new turbo on my 99 1.8 aeb.. Looking to possibly upgrade, something thats not drastic, but has reliability my turbo was doing great, this morning i drove to work, everything was fine, then when i left it kept surging while idle, going up the entrance ramp, i couldnt get my speed up, hardly made it to 60 when i hit a red light I had no zip left, which told me the turbo was shot, as i had a a4 with a bad turbo before, so i limped her home 20 miles....... i made a post a few months back about possible upgrades but, now i have to get in there, and i really dont know much about turbo's other than i have replaced a k03 with a k03 so i guess better to learn now. does anyone have any good reference / reading material or anything that would help me understand what i am doing more? Yes I have googled turbos before but i would really like a point in the right direction for these cars, and also possibly tuning. i was looking at K04 turbos but someone said that for the price there are other turbos that would give better results, any help on these subjects would be Very muchly appreciated!

Veteran Member Three Rings kwnk's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    92 FZR600, '76 280z

Before looking into turbo replacements:

are you blowing smoke out the tailpipe?
    have you checked for any play on the turbine shaft?
    have you checked and verified all vac connections and hoses?
    have you scanned for codes?
    do you have a boost gauge? if so what readings are you getting at idle, 3k, WOT
    1999 1.8TQM Avant | H&R Coilovers | 034 1bar tune | 16" URS4 Fuchs | Forge 008 | Borla

AZ Member #

Lots of shaft play, no smoke** no lines loose, no boost gauge, but im pretty sure its a Fubar turbo no power, pushed throttle to floor took almost 30 seconds to get to 60 from 20 ive had a car that ran this way before. Pretty sure turbos done at 128k miles, decent life span, what turbo has a good top end
    have not scanned codes yet, loaned my Vagcom to a buddy, will run by and grab it in the morning
    Last edited by Wooshy; 07-10-2019 at 11:18 PM.

AZ Member #

update, no codes, there is oil all inside the turbo, which means i didnt see smoke but it was smoking, I am needing a replacement turbo now, any suggestions? budgets not that high currently, How much is a K04 swap usually?

Active Member Two Rings dmode951's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Wooshy View Post
    update, no codes, there is oil all inside the turbo, which means i didnt see smoke but it was smoking, I am needing a replacement turbo now, any suggestions? budgets not that high currently, How much is a K04 swap usually?
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...bocharger,5764

Your looking at least $500 and up, Plus fluids and gaskets.
    And might as well do a oil change while at it.

Or just go to pick a part and get a used stock for now for like $50 give or take while you save for the upgrade.
    I may be new to the Audi world.
    But I have been grinding a wrench since I was 8.

Established Member Four Rings Blazius's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Get a Holset hx35 from a truck for like 200 bucks. cheap ebay t3 manifold a tune , done. for 500 bucks.
    2000 B5 A4 Avant FWD Manual - Sport package
    NA ARG Block - 10.3 CR | AEB Head w/ NA valve cover and Coils | AWT Intake | SAAB 370cc | China T3/T4 57 Trim ~9 cm | Custom 2.2 inch uppipe | Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDDI FMIC | Custom 3.1 inch Vband DP | Self ME7 Tuned

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...rbo-Conversion

Veteran Member Four Rings xdewaynex's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    98.5 A4 1.8TQM

Quote Originally Posted by Blazius View Post
    Get a Holset hx35 from a truck for like 200 bucks. cheap ebay t3 manifold a tune , done. for 500 bucks.
    You forgot new intercooler piping, re working the exhaust, clutch upgrade. So well over $500.
    1998.5 A4 1.8TQM

AZ Member #

which type of truck? also its an Automatic car, ive got a little over 1000, for this, I will need the intercooler regardless, i dont want to over heat my car, " I like it too much to treat it poorly " what manifold ect goes with the turbos? New to working on turbos

Veteran Member Three Rings b5v6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '05 Volvo S60R, B5 A4 1.8TQM Avant

The benefit of a k04 is you can run it stock and piece together the whole kit incrementally. If cost isn't your concern then spend $3k for some kit or do a custom setup, AND another $3k+ to build your internals. More power you go for the less low end you'll have.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    99 A4 1.8TQM Avant
    Stroked/Built/Elim71r/NS intake gasket/port matched head and mani/Big PNP/ECS pulley/FMIC/Relocated DV
    Full 3" stainless/relocated cat/Vibrant res & muf
    Neuspeed/Bilsteins/AWE DTS/17" Enkei/Bridgestones
    TT carriers/A8 rotors (front)/B5S4 (rear)/Goodridge hoses/PBR ceramic pads
    Rieger RS4 bumper/Painted rear valance/Valeo one-piece
    Facelift/Pioneer DA120 Apple Carplay/Infinity Reference (front/rear) (Bose deleted)

awaiting: side skirts/paint job

AZ Member #

I am just wanting something that has a better life expectancy. I need to get something and get it started my time frame was moved up i thought it was transmission issues, but it was actually the turbo over boosting between gears causing a kick, so i need to figure something out asap tho, with this car down im basically screwed come next month

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by dmode951 View Post
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...bocharger,5764

Your looking at least $500 and up, Plus fluids and gaskets.
    And might as well do a oil change while at it.

Or just go to pick a part and get a used stock for now for like $50 give or take while you save for the upgrade.
    appreciate it :)

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by xdewaynex View Post
    You forgot new intercooler piping, re working the exhaust, clutch upgrade. So well over $500.
    You dont need to push 300 whp.. A holset with the internal wg with a decen tune will push above 200 whp with correct tune, full boost around 3500-3600 rpm. You wont bend rods, you wont make them go fly thru the block, like with a frankenturbo or some crap like that. A stock clutch can hold 250 chp from audi tt quatro sport. With 0.5 bar you dont really need to upgrade the smic, but you can find some upgraded ones for like 150 bucks. Also use stock cat and take it to a muffler shop and theyll do a downpipe for cheap.. if you dont have the necessary skills.

which type of truck? also its an Automatic car, ive got a little over 1000, for this, I will need the intercooler regardless, i dont want to over heat my car, " I like it too much to treat it poorly " what manifold ect goes with the turbos? New to working on turbos
    Cummins.

Quote Originally Posted by b5v6 View Post
    The benefit of a k04 is you can run it stock and piece together the whole kit incrementally. If cost isn't your concern then spend $3k for some kit or do a custom setup, AND another $3k+ to build your internals. More power you go for the less low end you'll have.

Dropping a KO4 on a KO3 car is bad... without retune. All you doing is getting about 2 more cfm, the boost PID and other maps are not setup for it.A t04e will have boost around 3800 rpm any boost level, why would you want anything below that , this aint a diesel.
    NA ARG Block - 10.3 CR | AEB Head w/ NA valve cover and Coils | AWT Intake | SAAB 370cc | China T3/T4 57 Trim ~9 cm | Custom 2.2 inch uppipe | Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDDI FMIC | Custom 3.1 inch Vband DP | Self ME7 Tuned

AZ Member #

You dont need to push 300 whp.. A holset with the internal wg with a decen tune will push above 200 whp with correct tune, full boost around 3500-3600 rpm. You wont bend rods, you wont make them go fly thru the block, like with a frankenturbo or some crap like that. A stock clutch can hold 250 chp from audi tt quatro sport. With 0.5 bar you dont really need to upgrade the smic, but you can find some upgraded ones for like 150 bucks. Also use stock cat and take it to a muffler shop and theyll do a downpipe for cheap.. if you dont have the necessary skills.

Cummins.

Dropping a KO4 on a KO3 car is bad... without retune. All you doing is getting about 2 more cfm, the boost PID and other maps are not setup for it.A t04e will have boost around 3800 rpm any boost level, why would you want anything below that , this aint a diesel.
    Thank you for the info! Do i have to get a new exhaust manifold to fit that type of turbo? Also are ebay intercoolers decent? Or should i look elsewhere?

AZ Member #

Thank you for the info! Do i have to get a new exhaust manifold to fit that type of turbo? Also are ebay intercoolers decent? Or should i look elsewhere?
    Yes you do. A HX35 is a t3 flange turbo, so you need a different manifold, Ebay stuff is aight to use. With t3 flange you got SOO many options later on if you ever want to change.

AZ Member #

Yes you do. A HX35 is a t3 flange turbo, so you need a different manifold, Ebay stuff is aight to use. With t3 flange you got SOO many options later on if you ever want to change.
    Cool will look into this, any chance u know where i can get the manifold? Im sure i seen a cummins in the scrap yard that was tboned, can see about checking the turbo in it, and grab a rebuild kit

AZ Member #

Cool will look into this, any chance u know where i can get the manifold? Im sure i seen a cummins in the scrap yard that was tboned, can see about checking the turbo in it, and grab a rebuild kit
    Ebay :D

AZ Member #

Ebay :D
    Lol alright

AZ Member #

is there an FAQ on this set up? "Need pictures so i know what i am needing" i prefer to be sure than to be mistaken!

AZ Member #

Allright, you actually seem serious about it so. It depends what you are looking for. Do you want a dropin replacement and thats it ? Do you want to open up your options and have above 200 hp( for now) without going crazy on bank ?

If so, if you get a HX35 from a Cummins, check condition first, some shaft play is allowed because its a journal bearing , but too much is not, if its bad, get a rebuild kit and rebuild it or pay someone to do it.

You will need a T3 manifold for it. Here is one : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-A4-TT-...YAAOSwHt5bS7XT

Actually pretty nice stainless steel, you can get a cast for about 10 usd less but I think the stainless is better. You also need gasket for manifold/turbo and some studs or m10 10.9 bolts and nuts with locker washers.

For oil , you will need a 1/8 NPT to AN4 fitting so you can use your stock feed, double check the feed for the holset, but usually they are 1/8 NPT. Drain, get a proper drain for center section with barb fitting an some an10+ silicon hose, you can adapt it to your stock drain if you cut it and clamp the silicon hose to it.

Depending on model, last thing is making a downpipe, If the model has Vband , get a vband , some 3 inch piping , o2 bung and take it to a mufflershop , they'll do it if you cant weld.

There a few hx35 threads on nefmoto if you want pictures. if you want more info /help tell me.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

My vagcom must of been broken, my AFRs were spot on when I did. Worst part I wasn't the first or the last. Did it because it had been proven already. Old school b5ers know.

99 A4 1.8TQM Avant
    Stroked/Built/Elim71r/NS intake gasket/port matched head and mani/Big PNP/ECS pulley/FMIC/Relocated DV
    Facelift/Pioneer DA120 Apple Carplay/Infinity Reference (front/rear) (Bose deleted)

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I am just wanting something that has a better life expectancy. I need to get something and get it started my time frame was moved up i thought it was transmission issues, but it was actually the turbo over boosting between gears causing a kick, so i need to figure something out asap tho, with this car down im basically screwed come next month
    You want better longevity and you're gonna get an eBay manifold? Guess you're not interested in the horror stories behind those. Good luck, start a build thread cause I wanna follow it.

99 A4 1.8TQM Avant

AZ Member #

You want better longevity and you're gonna get an eBay manifold? Guess you're not interested in the horror stories behind those. Good luck, start a build thread cause I wanna follow it.

im looking at all options currently, you got something better than the K03
    Last edited by Wooshy; 07-13-2019 at 03:46 AM.

AZ Member #

Half of those stories are bullshit, its literally a manifold , you dont need to spend 2000000 usd to get one.Just check for casting flashes and sand them down if there is one, or check welds on stainless steel. I am in many tuner forums etc and people run ebay cast manifolds without a problem. Same thing with maxspeed rods. They are actually certified forged rods, but some idiots broke them somehow, either wrong install or hilarious tune, and now people ( in the usa , say it must be bad its cheap[er]). Again people run them in Europe with 700 hp with no issues. If you run timing well past MBT cylinderpressures are rising very fast , so nothings gonna survive that, or if you lean the motor out like hell.

AZ Member #

Half of those stories are bullshit, its literally a manifold , you dont need to spend 2000000 usd to get one.Just check for casting flashes and sand them down if there is one, or check welds on stainless steel. I am in many tuner forums etc and people run ebay cast manifolds without a problem. Same thing with maxspeed rods. They are actually certified forged rods, but some idiots broke them somehow, either wrong install or hilarious tune, and now people ( in the usa , say it must be bad its cheap[er]). Again people run them in Europe with 700 hp with no issues. If you run timing well past MBT cylinderpressures are rising very fast , so nothings gonna survive that, or if you lean the motor out like hell.
    Honestly i was just looking at that, aslong as theres no weld breaks and its decently thick, ive welded before and will be taking classes during my trade school courses this year so ill get better at it aswell, but aslong as they welded it well i dont see any issues, and ive seen someone fubar their car by running lean had nothing to do with ebay parts

AZ Member #

i am serious and i have been thinking about an upgrade for a while and now that the turbo kicked the bucket, I prefer to upgrade so it adds to the value. and I need to do something soon lol, the junk yard trashed the cummins i knew about.. so.... square 1 again lol

Veteran Member Four Rings xdewaynex's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    98.5 A4 1.8TQM

i am serious and i have been thinking about an upgrade for a while and now that the turbo kicked the bucket, I prefer to upgrade so it adds to the value. and I need to do something soon lol, the junk yard trashed the cummins i knew about.. so.... square 1 again lol
    Might want to rethink about adding value to an already devalued car. We all know, doing any kind of upgrade isnt going to bring any more value to these cars. Ive got over $3k in parts sitting in the garage for my A4, and its not going to make it sell for more if I were to do so.
    1998.5 A4 1.8TQM

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by xdewaynex View Post
    Might want to rethink about adding value to an already devalued car. We all know, doing any kind of upgrade isnt going to bring any more value to these cars. Ive got over $3k in parts sitting in the garage for my A4, and its not going to make it sell for more if I were to do so.
    "Value to me."

AZ Member #

Well, then , get the stuff(turbo ) that i said, and get back. Make sure your car wont be down if minor things come in financially though :)

AZ Member #

this is literally the only thing thats not been looked over a million times, i have replaced the whole front end and rear end suspensions with all moog "Worth it major difference in how it feels" i have another motor ready to go in if needed, i have done non turbo engine swaps before, its just the Turbo aspect i am new to, nothing else is mechanically wrong. i was looking into the turbo and looking to change it anyway, just have not done much with turbos as this is technically my first turbo car the other a4 I had, I did a k03 to k03 replacement, this one is switching to something else which i am new to doing
    Last edited by Wooshy; 07-14-2019 at 04:05 AM.

AZ Member #

so i am still learning, what type of intercooler would i need, Air or liquid cooler? ive seen both from my research...... think i have confused myself....

AZ Member #

Air.

AZ Member #

Okay thank you! Found a t3/t4 garrett turbo, i had a f250 with on that lasted 300k, i trust that turbo lol

AZ Member #

Okay thank you! Found a t3/t4 garrett turbo, i had a f250 with on that lasted 300k, i trust that turbo lol
    What are the sizes?

AZ Member #

What are the sizes?
    a 50trim garrett t3 flanged turbo im reading a build someone else did and this turbo brand I actually have faith in, as I have had rather good experience from them
    Gonna keep reading before doing anything But i feel like I am going to look for something else that is more commonly tuned
    Last edited by Wooshy; 07-14-2019 at 07:41 PM.

Senior Member Two Rings wangerang's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I'll sell you my f21 lol

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    1997 A4 1.8TM
    Unitronic Stage 1+ | B&G Lowering Springs | Bilstein TCs | 2.0TSI Coils | ICM Delete | Forge 007 | Facelift Stuff | RS4-Style Grille

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by wangerang View Post
    I'll sell you my f21 lol

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Frankenturbo.. anyway its a stock rod bender, but hopefully OP gets a set of forged ones.

AZ Member #

Frankenturbo.. anyway its a stock rod bender, but hopefully OP gets a set of forged ones.
    I didnt exactly want to dig into the engine that far lol buuuut i may one day

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Honestly i was just looking at that, aslong as theres no weld breaks and its decently thick, ive welded before and will be taking classes during my trade school courses this year so ill get better at it aswell, but aslong as they welded it well i dont see any issues, and ive seen someone fubar their car by running lean had nothing to do with ebay parts
    Good point, you can fubar your car using quality stuff if you do it wrong. Keep in mind it's seems you're piecing things together. I'm not knocking you for that but it's gonna require another level of understanding, and it's clear with you liquid or air cooled intercooler question that you have a lot to learn. Blazius showed a couple instances that he's not giving only solid, credible knowledge. His understanding of a K04 on stock tune/motor was way off. His comment about China manifolds is nuts. People have seen ATP and 034 manifolds break and he's gonna say the stories on the China made ones aren't real??? It looks like you have other vehicles which means you can survive with your car down for a prolonged period of time. That will likely be necessary.

If you're just looking for the longevity of a ball bearing turbo without power levels requiring internals be done then why not get an ATP eliminator and run it from the stock manifold. It may even bolt up with stock intercooler and charge pipe. Otherwise you'll be doing a lot of custom piping and configuring. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for that but it's time consuming and expensive, and sometimes it doesn't work. I have a lot of custom trash done. Catalytic converter relocated under car, FMIC custom altered and fit, and all plumbing welded. But it's not something you're gonna have finished off quickly with out spending a lot of resources (time/funds).

99 A4 1.8TQM Avant

AZ Member #

Good point, you can fubar your car using quality stuff if you do it wrong. Keep in mind it's seems you're piecing things together. I'm not knocking you for that but it's gonna require another level of understanding, and it's clear with you liquid or air cooled intercooler question that you have a lot to learn. Blazius showed a couple instances that he's not giving only solid, credible knowledge. His understanding of a K04 on stock tune/motor was way off. His comment about China manifolds is nuts. People have seen ATP and 034 manifolds break and he's gonna say the stories on the China made ones aren't real??? It looks like you have other vehicles which means you can survive with your car down for a prolonged period of time. That will likely be necessary.

If you're just looking for the longevity of a ball bearing turbo without power levels requiring internals be done then why not get an ATP eliminator and run it from the stock manifold. It may even bolt up with stock intercooler and charge pipe. Otherwise you'll be doing a lot of custom piping and configuring. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for that but it's time consuming and expensive, and sometimes it doesn't work. I have a lot of custom trash done. Catalytic converter relocated under car, FMIC custom altered and fit, and all plumbing welded. But it's not something you're gonna have finished off quickly with out spending a lot of resources (time/funds).

You can fuck your car with quality and both other parts.. but this is what I hate. You dont need to spend 10000 usd to make power. I can show you many instances on people using ebay manifold without issues. Same with China turbos.. there is nothing wrong with them, sure they dont last as long as Garrett or Holset or etc. but they work and no they wont "blow" up. One dude made over 400 whp on china t04e stock block with 220k miles , hammering it with als , turbo died after 3 years..I'd say you got your value from 150 usd.Generic 35 usd t3/t4 repair kit , done.
    BoostedBoiz make over 700 hp on china turbos..

Also what I did , nobody did on internet, and its all custom, so I am pretty sure I know what I am talking about :) Also I didnt say those instances do not/ did not happen. Most certainly do , but you cant draw proper conclusion from that.
    I rather get an ebay manifold and spend the rest on a set of forged rods ...
    Last edited by Blazius; 07-16-2019 at 01:36 PM.

AZ Member #

Hey aslong as i can get a to b without needing C i dont mind a little more zip, as i drive mountains every day to work, i enjoy that part atleast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast