Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Advice what to do with dealer... sold me misaligned audi certified car

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey guys

SO i got a 1 year used rs3 with like 21k km on it and they did a audi certification on it and it passed, they said the tires are good and thers 6mm of thread left on them.

Today i went to install a catless midpipe, and springs on it and mod shop says, the tires have to be changed like NOW they are dangerously done in the middle and you can see the thread or lining or whatever its called lol........

Additionally they said it was very misaligned and i have the before and after report.

I had the car for 1 month and di 2k km with it. What would you guys do? I find this pretty unacceptable but.... i did do mods at this point, its also flashed.

Thanks

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Not sure but I have heard from many on this forum that these tires wear out very quickly ... like i think someone said 12,000 miles or so and there tires were shot?

Established Member Two Rings 400_turbo's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Yep, mine lasted 10k, oem tires basically came with 1 year warranty. Unless you have it in writing that they stated tires had xx amount of life left your probably sol. I'd replace with ps4s or something anyways oem tires are shit for wear and performance.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

How do they know you didn't hit a pothole and throw the car out of alignment? Replace the tires yourself with something better and move along.
    '18 RS3: Nardo gray, APR stage 2, BBS CI-R: 10.72 @ 130.5, full weight
    '09 997TT 6MT: ByDesign 65mm VTGs, etc. 720 whp E85
    '18 Raptor crew cab
    '18 991.2 GT3 touring

AZ Member #

grow up dude. you bought a used car with used tires, and then you installed springs on it? you have to get it aligned after the springs anyway.

Established Member Two Rings Orpo's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Not sure why the backlash the OPís question....

All my Audiís have been CPO , including my RS3 and Audi provides a 300 point inspection that has the information the OP is looking for.
    My experience has been very positive with Audi CPO and they even changed the brakes on my S5 due to being more than 50% used, changed the tires due to wear and gave it an alignment. Audi CPO, at least in Canada is no joke.

OP take the 15 mins and read your CPO contract, find the inspection document and go to your Audi dealership and speak to a service manager.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Orpo View Post
    You answered yourself.

OP take the 15 mins and read your CPO contract, find the inspection document and go to your Audi dealership and speak to a service manager.
    All this guy does is make useless threads that clutter the forum. IE, his most recent gem about BC Wheel production times.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

All my Audiís have been CPO , including my RS3 and Audi provides a 300 point inspection that has the information the OP is looking for.
    My experience has been very positive with Audi CPO and they even changed the brakes on my S5 due to being more than 50% used, changed the tires due to wear and gave it an alignment. Audi CPO, at least in Canada is no joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Guarantee the service manager will laugh in his face. If itís not within a short amount of time, tons of factors could of messed up his alignment...not the dealers fault.

If I sell one of my clients a certified used laptop, they bring it back a month later with the hinges loosened and then tell me it caused theyíre screen to get damaged. Iím gonna ask them why they waited a month before just NOW bringing it to my attention, then Iím gonna quote them for the repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

You found out about the alignment being off while doing the springs. Idk what shop you are going to that would do an alignment before they start doing a spring swap, but most likely they took measurements AFTER the spring swap.. meaning the alignment would be off..

As far as the tires. Pirelli PZero's are garbage, if you plan on buying another pair of rims, unless the PZero's were new, it would be in your best interest to buy new tires anyway...

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 RS3, 2013 Mazdaspeed3, 2007 Acura TSX

Your warranty is out the window... suck it up and do the repairs on your own.

/thread
    -

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

All used cars in Canada sold from a dealer have an implied warranty that the car is of merchantable quality as part of consumer protection laws. 6mm is close to full tread and you don't go from full tread to bald in 2000km. There is nothing to lose by bringing up the issue that the tread depth was misrepresented at the time of purchase and bringing up consumer protection laws.

20 years ago I bought a car that had a transmission that failed a couple months after purchase. Everyone told me I was stuck because the contract said "as is". I sued the dealer in small claims court and he settled with me 6 months later. I didn't even have a lawyer and the dealer did.

Don't listen to people with zero knowledge of the law.

Veteran Member Three Rings old_spool's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Let me explain this from the dealer's perspective as I am qualified having worked in all positions interacting with him in this situation at a dealership.

When they inspected the vehicle, they inspected the tires...on paper. After reviewing the CPO checklist https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...3-Combined.pdf, it is clear that checking alignment is NOT part of the CPO process.

The average mechanic at an Audi dealership has reached the $28-34/flag hour level by being exceptional at their first tech position. With that being said, there is very low likelihood that a service manager will doubt their technician measured the tires as per the checklist.

Let's say you got a tech on an off day. Maybe his wife left him, the dog died and he hadn't had his coffee. Unfortunately, your reasonable window of time has passed. There's no formal time but the reasonable time frame to submit a legitimate issue is a week. After that point, it's all on you. With the modifications to items that affect tire wear, i.e. suspension, you now have no leverage.

There is a silver lining to this, however. Those stock tires are garbage...get some Michelins!
    2002 S4 Nogaro Blue Avant 6MT Stage 3 K04 GIAC X-Treme.
    2019 RS3 Ara Blue - upcoming IMS850 build.

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by TheContrarian View Post
    All used cars in Canada sold from a dealer have an implied warranty that the car is of merchantable quality as part of consumer protection laws. 6mm is close to full tread and you don't go from full tread to bald in 2000km. There is nothing to lose by bringing up the issue that the tread depth was misrepresented at the time of purchase and bringing up consumer protection laws.

20 years ago I bought a car that had a transmission that failed a couple months after purchase. Everyone told me I was stuck because the contract said "as is". I sued the dealer in small claims court and he settled with me 6 months later. I didn't even have a lawyer and the dealer did.

Don't listen to people with zero knowledge of the law.
    The dealer probably settled with you because it was cheaper, not because you were right.

Active Member Two Rings ThunderGatti's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I tried finding an RS3 that was CPO for about a year locally. Before that, an S3. In both cases I found Audi dealerships selling used cars as CPO that had either been in accidents or had issues. They went as far as to try and pass off an RS3 that went off the road and needed a tow, which popped on a Carfax. Other S3's had Audi Sense sensors that needed re-calibration ($800 service). AudiUSA will do nothing in either case and you'd be left to the mercy of the service manager of the dealership where you bring the car. The service manager's are very nice usually, assuming you haven't modded the car. Car salesmen though usually have very little if any integrity. Your best bet is to to go into any interactions with them assuming you're dealing with the scum of the earth. Just because they're wearing Audi name tags doesn't mean you can trust them.
    Current DD: 2019 RS3 (nardo/black w/red, CF inlays + dynamic, RS, optics and tech packages)
    (sold) 2018 S3 (nardo, tech pkg)
    (sold) 2016 Camaro 2SS - 734rwhp (MRC, NPP, M6, E85, Texas Speed custom cam & fuel system, Magnuson Heartbeat, ceramic ARH LT's w/high flow cats, BMR rear suspension, Brembo 6 piston, Forgeline VX1 & R888R tires, ALP jammer)
    (sold) 2004 S4