Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by VR2V8 View Post
    I said earlier that my Bose is always at level 15. That is HD FM radio. I forgot to mention that when I switch to my iPod on the AUX input, level 15 is basically muted. I have to crank up the volume to at least 25 to hear the AUX input. Then hopefully I can remember to turn it back down before switching back to HD FM radio or else I get blasted with sound.
    Good point. My sound levels are all with the audio source being my iPhone using CarPlay. 30 on the radio is ridiculously loud as you said have to remember to turn it down before unplugging the iPhone else you get blasted.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by kebabman View Post
    Good point. My sound levels are all with the audio source being my iPhone using CarPlay. 30 on the radio is ridiculously loud as you said have to remember to turn it down before unplugging the iPhone else you get blasted.
    oh yeah - when I said I listen to music at 28 its BT streaming from spotify on my phone. That is NOTHING like 28 on the radio which is painful and will about give you a heart attack if you switch over with the volume on 28.

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Just picked up my car from Audi service it was on a rap radio station at 27. I am sure the enjoyed the test drive!

Active Member Two Rings bryanb8's Avatar
    AZ Member #

With my B&O I listen around 15 or so for SiriusXM and just driving around town and most other sources at a max of about 30 when I really want to jam out. I keep my treble a little higher than bass for the type of music I listen to (metal). I know some may have their opinions on the price of the B&O, but to me it sounds crystal clear and mean, even at that level with heavy music. I suppose it would be a lower max level if I had both the bass and treble turned up in the MMI. Bass is a little past half and treble a little more than that. Surround is at about 55 percent and directed at all.
    Current: 2018 S6 Prestige - Glacier White Metallic/Black, S tronic, Valcona Leather, Bang & Olufsen, S Sport Package, Driver Assistance Package, 20" Black Optic Package, Carbon Atlas Inlays, Audi Beam Rings

Former: 2014 S5 Premium Plus - Glacier White Metallic/Black, S tronic, Nappa Leather, Sports Differential, B&O, Carbon Atlas, Side Assist, MMI Nav Plus Package, 19" 5 seg Peelers, SC badges, all weather package

Senior Member Two Rings massboykie's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '16 Audi S6, '16 Audi S5 Cab.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsLarryG View Post
    Reading through this B&O post, it sounds like people are blasting their stereo where Iím rarely above 15. I target high quality audio at home but donít see it as a priority in the car. The $3500 premium is just insane for B&O system. Anyone interested in sound quality or is it just overall volume?
    I am no audiophile by any stretch, but I definitely prefer the crisp sound of the B&O in the Mrs's S5. IMHO it sounds significantly better than the Bose. Now, if I was paying $4K for it... not sure if its THAT much better...

Cheers
    Massboykie
    2016 Audi S5 Cab. - ECS Intake, K&N DI
    2016 Audi S6 - K&N DI

Not to be forgotten...
    2016 Audi A3 2.0T
    2006 Audi A4 Avant 2.0T
    2002 Audi A6 2.7T << My Baby

http://www.VAGLinks.com - 2000+ VAG Links!
    http://www.PlanetVAG.com - VAG Only Search Engine!

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by massboykie View Post
    I am no audiophile by any stretch, but I definitely prefer the crisp sound of the B&O in the Mrs's S5. IMHO it sounds significantly better than the Bose. Now, if I was paying $4K for it... not sure if its THAT much better...

Cheers
    Massboykie
    Not sure of the model year of the S5 youíre referring to but itís not comparing apples to apples when speaking about the base version of the B&O now offered in A5 and Q5 lines versus the upgraded B&O system available in the RS7s.

Veteran Member Four Rings Audibot's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by subterFUSE View Post
    On a related topic, the C7 is a rather noisy car on the roads without any music playing. I tested the ambient noise level in my S6 before I did extensive sound dampening. On smooth highway, with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, at 75 mph the road noise was above 80 dB with peaks reaching almost 85 dB. This was measured with a professional dB meter.

After treating the car with a combination of Stinger Road Kill, Focal BAM, and 2 layers of mass-loaded vinyl with closed-cell foam layers in between, I tested the same 1 mile stretch of highway at 75 mph. The road noise was reduced to 60-65 dB.

Still, if the road is not perfectly smooth the road noise in my S6 is quite loud. There are a lot of highways where I live that have surfaces that make quite a bit of tire hum. It has always been bothersome on long trips with the amount of road noise, although the treatments made it much more tolerable.

By comparison, my Mercedes S63 on the same roads is much, much quieter.

If people are listening to music while on the highway, they will be contending with the ambient noise level and turning up the volume dial will be necessary to overcome it.

Have you tried gluing foam (not spray foam) in your tires? Not joking; seems tire manufacturers are doing it nowadays to help reduce road noise without adding much weight or thinking to the vehicle design. With all the effort you've put in your vehicle so far, I figure this would be a relatively easy next step to try.

Also, I find the radio sounds loud enough at 15-18, while my music from SD card I typically set to ~22-24, though if it's something I like or a source that is low, I'll crank it up to 30 (or higher).
    2016 A6 TDI Prestige - S-Line, Black Optics, Driver Assistance, HUD, LED Headlights, Cold Weather, Warm Weather
    2003 allroad 6MT - STUKLR Stage 1, Hotchkis sway bars, RS4 engine mounts, Apikol rear diff mounts

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

10-15 depending on rod noise. Usually closer to 10. You guys are insane.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1993 Toyota Chaser, 2018 VW Atlas

4 normally, 10 when a good song is on with my Bose system. I work around Jet engines most the day with single hearing pro. You guy in the 20's are nuts, my bearings are going bad and I can't hear em when I'm at 10-12.

'13 C7 A6 Quartz Gray

>APR Intercooler
    >Michelin PS4

Coming soon
    >APR Stage 2 + Ultracharger

AZ Member #

It sounds like the sound calibration is all over the place. At 15, I can barely hear the songs off my SD card/bluetooth while driving. My input level for media is also set to high.

Also, roads are complete shit in Maryland, so there's another factor.
    2016 A6 TDI Prestige - S-Line, Black Optics, Driver Assistance, HUD, LED Headlights, Cold Weather, Warm Weather
    2003 allroad 6MT - STUKLR Stage 1, Hotchkis sway bars, RS4 engine mounts, Apikol rear diff mounts

Active Member Two Rings WatchMeSpend's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by jpru2001 View Post
    15 or so when listening to talk/howard stern.

I rarely listen to music but when I do its loud: 28 on the dial

I played in a band in high school and college and almost certainly have hearing loss. Or at least my wife tells me I do.
    If your wife is the only person that says you have hearing loss, we call that "selective hearing"..

Veteran Member Three Rings MVR 155's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 Audi S6, 2015 GMC Yukon Denali and 2002 Corvette Z06

I've got a 12" sub and 500w mono amp in my S6 with the Bose system (removed it from my 2013 S4 that had the B&O system). The bose is definitely not as clean as the B&O system in my previous S4. The addition of the sub and lots of time tuning the system has made a vast improvement. I typically listen in the teens for volume level....... If I'm cranking things up, its in the mid-upper 30's but that's a pretty limited level for short periods. I honestly enjoy driving with the windows down if the outside temperature permits and listening to the exhaust.
    2018 S6 Prestige, Glacier White/Black, S-Sport, Driver Assistance, Black optic, Carbon inlays, Cold weather, Vorsteiner VFF 103's in carbon graphite.

2002 Corvette Z06
    2015 GMC Yukon Denali

AZ Member #

When you guys stream BT you ARE turning your phone media volume to max, right?
    '14 RS7

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by V10Jon View Post
    I keep mine a couple notches below max as I feel it improves the sound quality
    2018 S6 Prestige, Glacier White/Black, S-Sport, Driver Assistance, Black optic, Carbon inlays, Cold weather, Vorsteiner VFF 103's in carbon graphite.

2002 Corvette Z06
    2015 GMC Yukon Denali

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Pussies. 35 on the Bose with (2) massive summo 6.5's in a .7cuft slot ported enclosure. I like to party.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Veteran Member Four Rings bknewtype's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 C300 4Matic

How loud do you listen to music in the car?

Stock bose system, maybe 1/8 of the way. I prefer to listen to my exhausg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Present:
    2014 Audi S7 Estoril Blue/Lunar Silver

Past:
    2017 Audi TTS Mythos Black/Express Red
    2009 Audi R8 Phantom Black | Nero Satin Pearl
    2011 Audi A5 2.0T 6mt Sapphire Black
    2009 Audi S5 Phantom Black

IG: bknewtype

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chet.rowles View Post
    Pussies. 35 on the Bose with (2) massive summo 6.5's in a .7cuft slot ported enclosure. I like to party.

Hahahahaha........ definitely one of the best responses on this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2002 Corvette Z06
    2015 GMC Yukon Denali

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by chet.rowles View Post

meh....
    Attached Images
    2013 Audi S6 Ibis White, Black interior, LED headlights, 20" alloy wheels, Carbon Atlas inlays, Audi side assist

Mods Bel STiR Plus, Blinder HP-905, BlackVue dash cams (front and rear), Black Optics grill, Black window trim, XPel Ultimate film, Modesta BC-03 glass coating

AZ Member #

B&O: 8-12 when talking to somebody in car, 16-22 when alone!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by V10Jon View Post
    Yes, and input level to high on the MMI too. Still not loud, unlike the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by camkelly View Post
    B&O: 8-12 when talking to somebody in car, 16-22 when alone!
    I laughed. If I have my Dad in the car, volume goes to 5 max because he turns it down so he can talk the whole time.

Senior Member Three Rings RSLRS71's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    18' SQ5 and WK2 SRT8 Jeep

def an audiophile and I prefer a Hi-Res source and LOUD. lol to me that way always the thing about a quality car audio set up...the fact you could turn it up and it still sound crystal clear....whereas cheaper systems start to fail due to cheap speakers, underpowered speakers and or cheap power sources...a.k.a distort when turning them up...eventually blowing out the door speakers. Clearly this is only my opinion....i have no issue with the B&O and am quite pleased with it honestly....atleast in the RS7....the SQ5 B&O is a little underwhelming when compared to the RS7, but still better that "stock"...the Satellite radio never is a good source for quality....streaming the AK SP1000 via Bluetooth does it for me.

28-34 range for me on the Bluetooth source or SAT, generally lower volumes with a Hi-Res source since there is much more clarity an a lossless source. the crappier the quality of music (aka MP3) the higher you feel you need to turn up the "volume" to hear it....really just a bunch of high volume noise at higher volumes anywho.
    2017 RSL RS7 (1 of 3 stateside)
    Mods:
    Current: APR Stage II w/ HF DPs and KW H.A.S kit , Rotiform 3 piece SPF 21x10.5 wheels, Tag Motorsports Side marker delete and Badge blackout, ...
    Next: looking to be the quickest RS7! ;)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12