Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Jul 25 2018
    AZ Member #
    423060
    Location
    Boston

    AWE Intercooler installed!

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Finally got around to installing it, I was fortunate enough to get the Intercooler that AWE used for R&D I stumbled upon it on their website on Mothers Day. Got it for $499! What a steal! with that being said, you finally realize how poor the stock intercooler is on this car, albeit I am running a JB4 and mix in E85 at times. If anyone is on the fence on upgrading their stock unit, just do it! it transforms how this car drives!

  2. #2
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Jun 13 2017
    AZ Member #
    401047
    Location
    Winnipeg/Manitoba/Canada

    Quote Originally Posted by Cmoy135 View Post
    Finally got around to installing it, I was fortunate enough to get the Intercooler that AWE used for R&D I stumbled upon it on their website on Mothers Day. Got it for $499! What a steal! with that being said, you finally realize how poor the stock intercooler is on this car, albeit I am running a JB4 and mix in E85 at times. If anyone is on the fence on upgrading their stock unit, just do it! it transforms how this car drives!
    You had to remove the crash bar to fit it?

    Sent from my SM-G975W using Audizine mobile app

  3. #3
    Established Member Two Rings Nox05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 21 2018
    AZ Member #
    412760
    Location
    NY

    Quote Originally Posted by danaeroS4 View Post
    You had to remove the crash bar to fit it?

    Sent from my SM-G975W using Audizine mobile app
    Yeah, when I installed mine I had to remove the crash bar.

  4. #4
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Dec 22 2018
    AZ Member #
    434571
    Location
    California

    Is it just bolts or does it require cutting?

  5. #5
    Established Member Two Rings Nox05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 21 2018
    AZ Member #
    412760
    Location
    NY

    Quote Originally Posted by Blesbok View Post
    Is it just bolts or does it require cutting?
    Just bolts, no cutting required. Perfect opportunity to paint your crash bar too if need be.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    May 10 2019
    AZ Member #
    481649
    My Garage
    Bikes and 4x4s
    Location
    UT

    Please forgive my ignorance, but the main benefit here is just cooling, or are there power gains as well? In order to recognize any power gains do you need to remap at a minimum?
    19 Prestige with all the toys (diff, steering, etc.)

  7. #7
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Jul 25 2018
    AZ Member #
    423060
    Location
    Boston

    No exact power gains more or less maintains power as the car stays cooler.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Aug 31 2011
    AZ Member #
    80609
    My Garage
    17 Audi Q7 Prem+
    Location
    Blue Bell, PA

    I got an APR unit in and still on map4... George said I should stay at Map4 after looking at my logs.
    What else did you do to stay at map5?

  9. #9
    Established Member Two Rings thermobryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 30 2018
    AZ Member #
    419730
    Location
    SoCAL

    Quote Originally Posted by Longtallsally View Post
    Please forgive my ignorance, but the main benefit here is just cooling, or are there power gains as well? In order to recognize any power gains do you need to remap at a minimum?
    Basically with the garbage stock intercooler when you're running it hard or your ambient temp is high you're robbing the car of cool air into the intake. Car has to work harder, etc etc. My main emphasis in engineering school was thermodynamics, so don't let me get going down a rabbit hole.

    Here is a decent explanation:

    http://stratifiedauto.com/blog/the-e...rged-vehicles/

  10. #10
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Jul 25 2018
    AZ Member #
    423060
    Location
    Boston

    Quote Originally Posted by jonpark View Post
    I got an APR unit in and still on map4... George said I should stay at Map4 after looking at my logs.
    What else did you do to stay at map5?
    My logs on all maps looked good with George, also trying out some custom settings on Map 6. I Daily my car on map 3. If I want to open it up I switch to map 5.

  11. #11
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Jun 13 2018
    AZ Member #
    420610
    Location
    Colorado

    Do you have any pictures of everything all back together? I'm debating on whether to paint my crashbar or not...I have a glacier white and a RS style grill, so don't know if it would blend in better if I just left the crashbar silver to match the IC or if I should paint the crashbar black. Curious what others are doing.

  12. #12
    Established Member Three Rings BrockDM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 21 2018
    AZ Member #
    412780
    Location
    Frankfort, IL

    Quote Originally Posted by ukan16 View Post
    Do you have any pictures of everything all back together? I'm debating on whether to paint my crashbar or not...I have a glacier white and a RS style grill, so don't know if it would blend in better if I just left the crashbar silver to match the IC or if I should paint the crashbar black. Curious what others are doing.
    Definitely paint the crash bar.


  13. #13
    Established Member Three Rings Yabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 30 2018
    AZ Member #
    416322
    My Garage
    2011 Toyota Prius 5
    Location
    Cary, NC

    Quote Originally Posted by BrockDM View Post
    Definitely paint the crash bar.
    Your car looks so good! I really love the way it's come together. Well done!

  14. #14
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Jun 13 2018
    AZ Member #
    420610
    Location
    Colorado

    Quote Originally Posted by BrockDM View Post
    Definitely paint the crash bar.

    That looks amazing! Any advice on the paint/use anything special? I'm slightly worried about peppering it with rockchips and having to repaint every so often, but that just might be the consequence of going with the more open grill.

  15. #15
    Established Member Three Rings BrockDM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 21 2018
    AZ Member #
    412780
    Location
    Frankfort, IL

    Quote Originally Posted by ukan16 View Post
    That looks amazing! Any advice on the paint/use anything special? I'm slightly worried about peppering it with rockchips and having to repaint every so often, but that just might be the consequence of going with the more open grill.
    I made the mistake the first time using plasti-dip, do not do that.

    I ended up sanding off the remaining plasti-dip and applied 3-4 coats of rustolium primer and probably 4 coats of matte black rustolium. So far it's holding up well but unfortunately rock chips are unavoidable. I went with the "more the merrier" approach and coated it heavily. Don't go too thick though since it still is partially visible behind the grill. Do many thin coats.

    You can check out the process at post #84 here -> https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...hoto-Log/page3

  16. #16
    Established Member Three Rings BrockDM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 21 2018
    AZ Member #
    412780
    Location
    Frankfort, IL

    Quote Originally Posted by Yabi View Post
    Your car looks so good! I really love the way it's come together. Well done!
    Thanks Yabi! It never stops bringing my enjoyment. I'm excited for what the future holds

  17. #17
    Veteran Member Four Rings CreoSTi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 22 2004
    AZ Member #
    772
    My Garage
    2016 Acura RDX
    Location
    West L.A.

    Quote Originally Posted by BrockDM View Post
    I made the mistake the first time using plasti-dip, do not do that.

    I ended up sanding off the remaining plasti-dip and applied 3-4 coats of rustolium primer and probably 4 coats of matte black rustolium. So far it's holding up well but unfortunately rock chips are unavoidable. I went with the "more the merrier" approach and coated it heavily. Don't go too thick though since it still is partially visible behind the grill. Do many thin coats.

    You can check out the process at post #84 here -> https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...hoto-Log/page3

    Another option is to use automotive vinyl wrap. I did that with my S6 when I installed the RS6 grille and I never had any issues with chipping;

    -Mike- : 2001 S4 → 2011 S4 → 2014 S6 → 2018 S4
    Draper & Kramer Mortgage Corp.
    @creoucla



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2019 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.