Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: Coil pack

Established Member Two Rings cloaked's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Coil pack

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So again I'm looking at our 2010 Q5 3.2 and our 2008 3.2 A6 Avant motors, both look the same visually but the Q5 is so much quicker it's not funny. Could replacing the Coil Pack in the A6 make a significant difference? The A6 and Q5 have completely stock power trains and neither is in need of any mechanical service. I'm not trying to make a race car I just would like to see my A6 accelerate like the Q5.

Veteran Member Three Rings cal3thousand's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1994 Volvo 850 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by cloaked View Post
    So again I'm looking at our 2010 Q5 3.2 and our 2008 3.2 A6 Avant motors, both look the same visually but the Q5 is so much quicker it's not funny. Could replacing the Coil Pack in the A6 make a significant difference? The A6 and Q5 have completely stock power trains and neither is in need of any mechanical service. I'm not trying to make a race car I just would like to see my A6 accelerate like the Q5.
    So in manual mode, the Q5 walks on the A6?
    Danton Black: 2009 Audi C6.5 A6 Sedan (Quattro, 3.0T, Prestige)
    I miss my Avant, longing for a 2011 3.0T
    Dead:
    Griselda, aka Grizzy: 2007 Audi C6 A6 Avant (Quattro, S-Line)

Just some small cosmetic mods while getting to Stage 0

Established Member Two Rings cloaked's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Correct Both are in the standard auto mode, I haven't tried S mode together but even if the A6 was in S mode it's still no contest our Q5 is quicker.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    a few interesting items

Do you have any check engine lights or codes in VCDS?

Sent from my LYA-L0C using Tapatalk

Veteran Member Three Rings cal3thousand's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1994 Volvo 850 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by cloaked View Post
    Correct Both are in the standard auto mode, I haven't tried S mode together but even if the A6 was in S mode it's still no contest our Q5 is quicker.
    I'm a bit unsure of your response as you say Standard Auto, but I meant Manual as in putting the tiptronic to the right and having it hold until redline. That's how you will get a real gauge of which is truly faster.

Next, what kind of wheels do you have on the respective cars? Are both of them similar in wheel size? 20s vs 17s, even with larger rubber on the Q5 could make a significant difference too. There's a lot of factors we don't know about. And how much quicker is quicker? Can you quantify it?
    Danton Black: 2009 Audi C6.5 A6 Sedan (Quattro, 3.0T, Prestige)
    I miss my Avant, longing for a 2011 3.0T
    Dead:
    Griselda, aka Grizzy: 2007 Audi C6 A6 Avant (Quattro, S-Line)

Just some small cosmetic mods while getting to Stage 0

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

What’s the mileage on the A6 vs the Q5? It could be a carbon build up on the intakes of the A6 which is reducing the airflow and power. Well, I guess it could be many things actually, but that one springs to mind first.
    2007 A6 Allroad 3.2 FSI

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

cloaked is right!

I noticed this too. I obviously drive an 07 A6 3.2... but on my vacation a couple months ago I rented a 2011 Q5 3.2 for a full week (Turo app is awesome!). This car was in clear need of mechanical maintenance. I couldn't help myself not to pop the hood and noticed that the vacuum pump and valve covers were leaking with about 80k on the clock (so I highly suspect the spark plugs to be original). Even still, the Q5 DEFINITELY gets off the stop much quicker than my A6, and felt like it got up to 90mph quicker as well. So I'm with you Cloaked, the Q5 is certainly more fun to drive!

Having said that, engine and transmissions are basically the same... but I think the difference with the Q5 is that being an SUV it has to have shorter final drive gearing. I felt that it really got up the rpm's much quicker than the A6- therefore getting into the 3.2's powerband much quicker. This to me points to a shorter final drive gearing. I don't think you have an issue with your A6 if you do not have codes showing and you're up to date on scheduled maintenance. Carbon build up on your A6 would not account for the massive difference between the C6 3.2 and the Q5. It's gotta be the difference in gearing.
    07 A6 3.2- Out & In- Morimoto 5500k & Nokya 2500k, DeAutoLED Reverse, LP, & Footwells, Ziza Full Interior, 10" lo-pro Pioneer, Audi Aluminum Pedals
    Drivetrain & Suspension- Stoptech X-Drilled & Sport Pads, ST X-Coilovers, Hacked Airbox with aFe, Resonator Delete

"What is best in life? -Kill your enemies. See them driven before you. And hear the lamentation of their women" Conan the Barbarian

Veteran Member Three Rings estomax's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 A6 Avant 3.2L, 13 Leaf, 08 Titan

Q5 gearing
    1) 4.17
    2) 2.34
    3) 1.52
    4) 1.14
    5) 0.87
    6) 0.69
    FD) 4.22

A6 Gears are the same, but FD is 3.54, so taller and thus making the Q5 faster (but less efficient). Also interesting is that HP is listed as 270 for the Q5 while it is 255 for the A6, that makes a difference too. Both have 243 torque but A6s is at 3250 vs. the Q5s 3000. Does the Q5 have some extra cam adjustment going on?
    2007 A6 Avant 3.2L Black/Black, 235k miles