Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Transmission drop/removal 6speed 4.2

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Is it possible to drop the transmission on 4.2 with a 6 speed conversation from the bottom? I have set of quick jacks wondering if it would give me enough clearance and if feasible..

Veteran Member Four Rings 02 A6 2.7T's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Too much crap

Quote Originally Posted by Battle_Tested View Post
    Is it possible to drop the transmission on 4.2 with a 6 speed conversation from the bottom? I have set of quick jacks wondering if it would give me enough clearance and if feasible..
    According to rollerton, you can ... see post #2 here : https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...in-my-2002-S6?
    2002 A6 2.7T - 6MT Crystal Blue APR Stage 1
    2002 S6 - 6 MT Black/black
    **SOLD ** 2002 allroad 2.7T 6MT

Veteran Member Four Rings rollerton's Avatar
    AZ Member #

YES! A widebody with an 01E you can actually slip the trans down and thru the subframe without even moving it. But somewhat of a hassle to get a good angle for reinstall. You'll want to unbolt the torque mount and probably loosen / lower the subframe at least a bit to keep the stress down.
    But I did a clutch on one of my old S6's right after surgery and just sneaked the trans down without loosening hardly anything under there. Ideally you still want the whole car up as high as you can get it; the trans sitting on a jack leaves very little room to maneuver underneath.
    foley803 : What does an electrical surge sound like? Barking dogs? Watermelons?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    04 Silverado V8, 06 Touareg V8, 03 RS6 V8TT, 01 allroad, 01 A6 6MT

Transmission drop/removal 6speed 4.2

Ive done a 6 speed swap that way. Cussed at the 3 lower bell housing bolts a lot. Swore Id never do one that way again.
    -dre

Veteran Member Three Rings jolio1994's Avatar
    AZ Member #

After all the cursing and swearing how much harder is it to remove the engine/trans together?

Imo the suckiest part of pulling the engine/trans is removing the driveshaft/cv axles. If it we me I'd pull them together and be done with it.

Veteran Member Four Rings rollerton's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by jolio1994 View Post
    After all the cursing and swearing how much harder is it to remove the engine/trans together?

Imo the suckiest part of pulling the engine/trans is removing the driveshaft/cv axles. If it we me I'd pull them together and be done with it.
    if it's an Auto and you have the tools and a lift..for me it's a toss up. If it's already a 6 speed ? You can have that trans out in less than an hour.
    foley803 : What does an electrical surge sound like? Barking dogs? Watermelons?