Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Three Rings Trent212's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by 0000 RS5 View Post
    I assume that an upgraded FMIC is highly recommended before going to an open style filter replacement?
    Upgraded IC is worth it at just stage one with stock intake, so with more bolt-ons, definitely.
    2018 TT RS - Nogaro Blue | CF Inlays | Black Optic | Design Selection Interior | Red Calipers | Technology Package | APR Stage 2 E85, Intercooler, Inlet, And intake | BC Forged EH173 19x9.5 ET45
    2017 A3 2.0 Ultra - Daily
    2015 S4 Prestige - Sold
    2013 A4 Premium plus - Sold

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Arin@APR's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 0000 RS5 View Post
    I assume that an upgraded FMIC is highly recommended before going to an open style filter replacement?
    I'd recommend an FMIC even if the vehicle were stock.

Quote Originally Posted by 2balliol3 View Post
    I want this soooo bad, but still a bit pricey for me. We need some discount codes! (:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    $349.99 is pricy?

Quote Originally Posted by S3DUDE View Post
    Arin,

Congrats on the air filter. I have Uni turbo inlet. If I want to get your filter cone I would also have to buy the middle pipe?
    To get power out of the intake, you need to address the turbo inlet pipe with a much larger unit. The APR inlet pipe is the only on on the market the flows as much as it does. I'd recommend picking it up, along with the back tube and the front intake filter.

Also, unrelated question but why did you guys opted for not having a plastic funnel to block the heat from the engine and to scoop fresh air from the grill?
    Negligible gains for the end consumer cost. Feel free to modify your own unit, but I don't think you'll notice a difference.
    GoAPR.com | Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Instagram
    Phone: (800) 680-7921 Local Phone: +1 (334) 502-5181 Fax: +1 (334) 502-5180
    Address: APR LLC, 4800 US HWY 280 West, Opelika, AL 36801

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 VW Golf R (Sold)

Arin - confirmation of thought process, please.

From my perspective, I wanted to hear more sound levels beyond the marketing piece already posted. Sound / noise is very subjective to the owner and as such some may like / some not. Not a huge deal.

However, my thought process is I could buy both (USD $749 + USD $349)per the website. I gain the advantage of turbo inlet and if for some strange reason (compounded by wifeís feedback) if inlet is TOO loud, I simply put back on the stock inlet on the new turbo inlet without any additional changes and sell the inlet filter later.

Is that right?

Thanks.

AZ Member #

Yup - If you change your mind and want to go back to the stock airbox, you can just throw it back on. You'll have all the necessary couplers.

Established Member Two Rings SolarRS3's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 KTM Superduke 1290R

This looks good, as I love the noisier open element filter. But, I know this debate is old as sin, were they any drawback from the open filter element on the dyno or traffic/staging lane vs closed box? Is the airflow enough that, after starting to roll, fresh air gets to the intake right away? On a closed course or autocross, I would not say that it would pose a problem though.

thanks

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

I got one ordered, I'll report back my thoughts. Seems reasonably priced although not a lot too it; a filter and a small elbow, but still cheap in my book. I noticed a nice gain up top with inlet/fmic combo, and it looks like this will add a good amount on top of that. Time will tell.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Just ordered FMIC/Inlet/This Intake/Midpipes for my RS3 getting delivered Monday. I'll report as well my thoughts, although since these parts are going on day 1 I can't speak to performance gains or differences vs. stock that well.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Tesla Model X

just installed this bad baby and gave it a test run. sounds like a jet on spool up and definitely some noticeable gains ... love it.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by immanental View Post
    just installed this bad baby and gave it a test run. sounds like a jet on spool up and definitely some noticeable gains ... love it.
    Need vids. APR has a nice hype video but no real clips of driving sounds.

Active Member Two Rings Audi TTRS's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Good stuff! Are you 1+ or stage 2? E85?

2018 TTRS stock

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Dammit post some videos!!!

- - - Updated - - -

send it!!! Send some videos of it!

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

ill run the apr inlet + 4" pipe + oem box k&n drop in filter

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by s316 View Post
    ill run the apr inlet + 4" pipe + oem box k&n drop in filter
    It's my understanding from those that have run no filter at the track with stock box, the stock box is the bottleneck not the filter. I've got the k&n and haven't noticed a thing vs stock filter. I'll report back if I notice anything beyond noise with the open air Intake. I'm more interested in power than intake sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #

I believe we measured a slight improvement with a K&N filter in the stock box, but it was only around 5 CFM or so - nothing to write home about. Still though, if it were my car and the stock box, I'd probably run one too.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Here's a video I did on mine. I installed it the day it was released. Great piece. Very nice fit and finish. The compressor wheel on our turbo is shockingly quiet compared to the other vehicles I've owned. The craziest was my old Evo 8. That 16G howled all the time once I put an intake on it. Anyway, as you can hear, there's a bit more induction noise at partial and full throttle. With the 4" inlet and the stock airbox, you really only hear the turbo at full throttle and you never hear the diverter valve. Both are audible now at partial throttle, but it isn't obtrusive or annoying, IMO. Car sounds great. Power is great. I honestly don't think I, or anybody else, can really feel 10-15 whp in a 500+ whp car, but it certainly pulls very well up top as it always has. I'm very happy with this purchase.
    '18 RS3: Nardo gray, APR stage 2, BBS CI-R: 10.72 @ 130.5, full weight
    '09 997TT 6MT: ByDesign 65mm VTGs, etc. 720 whp E85
    '18 Raptor crew cab
    '18 991.2 GT3 touring

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post

Here's a video I did on mine. I installed it the day it was released. Great piece. Very nice fit and finish. The compressor wheel on our turbo is shockingly quiet compared to the other vehicles I've owned. The craziest was my old Evo 8. That 16G howled all the time once I put an intake on it. Anyway, as you can hear, there's a bit more induction noise at partial and full throttle. With the 4" inlet and the stock airbox, you really only hear the turbo at full throttle and you never hear the diverter valve. Both are audible now at partial throttle, but it isn't obtrusive or annoying, IMO. Car sounds great. Power is great. I honestly don't think I, or anybody else, can really feel 10-15 whp in a 500+ whp car, but it certainly pulls very well up top as it always has. I'm very happy with this purchase.
    The 16G was up front on the 4G63, iirc. That shit screamed like a jet taking off. Hahaha. I miss my Eclipse sometimes. Thanks for posting the video.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post

I just did mine as well- one thing i did notice and im curious if you did-- the gas pedal has a vibrating sensation in it on part throttle, none on cruise under 2200 RPM. Check this and let me know, seems wierd as evereything else is perfect.

Thanks!

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Tesla Model X

Quote Originally Posted by Eat.Sleep.Race View Post
    I just did mine as well- one thing i did notice and im curious if you did-- the gas pedal has a vibrating sensation in it on part throttle, none on cruise under 2200 RPM. Check this and let me know, seems wierd as evereything else is perfect.

Thanks!
    I notice that I have a slight vibration in my brake pedal at idle after this install. Havenít noticed a vibration in the gas pedal. Anyone else notice anything strange like that? Not sure what it could be.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

so does it fit the '19's or not? i'm not interested in having to go to lowes and buy a rubber stopper or adapter, etc. I haven't taken delivery of my car yet, but this is a perfect time to stockpile some parts
    2015 RS7
    2014 f150 raptor
    2013 GTR
    2009 h/c/I z06

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Kirks5oh View Post
    so does it fit the '19's or not? i'm not interested in having to go to lowes and buy a rubber stopper or adapter, etc. I haven't taken delivery of my car yet, but this is a perfect time to stockpile some parts
    It won't fit the new DV, they are working on an adapter for it. I ordered a $20 1" filter for the DV pipe for now, which should work just fine until there is an adapter out.

AZ Member #

The turbo inlet pipe and back tube fit with the stock airbox and 2019 DV. The front filter does not yet, unless you start swapping oem parts. We'll have a new hose made up so you don't have to do that.

Registered Member One Ring JKWMD's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I just finished the install; I've not noticed any unusual vibrations while driving. The sound is odd to me, never having done this to a car I owned, but I like it. It sounds like when you put your hand over a vacuum cleaner hose, but not enough to occlude it.The sound is more pronounced in sport mode and WOT, as you'd expect, but as was mentioned earlier, I can't say it's any faster, as 15 HP, or so, in this car is just not enough to be easily noticed. If you already have the rest of the system, this is a no-brainer, and it was a good purchase. The install was not as easy as I'd thought it would be; the APR instructions/pictures are a bit lacking. I'd recommend you take a look at their install documents before you start, as I didn't have all the right tools. The area where the instructions are lacking is how to align/rotate the new tube. They explained well how to make sure the new bracket/filter/clamp go together, but it would have been nice to have some arrows to help align the new tube with the existing inlet tube, because the rotation does make a difference. The instructions should also have been clearer as to how the new tube should orient to the new bracket, as again, there is some play either way, in how the new tube sits depending on rotation at the juncture with the existing inlet tube.

In the end, I figured it out just fine, and would recommend. I think the price is right, as I was expecting it to be a bit more expensive; quality is also excellent.

What I want next is an APR TCU tune, as I'm not convinced that my TCU plays well with my APR 1+ set-up, (ECU flash, turbo inlet system, IC, and now, intake filter). The shift points in auto, (upshifts and downshifts), are just a bit off since I had my ECU flashed to 1+, (I'm using low grip files, btw). It's not serious, but I think the TCU could be more in sync with my current power levels.

Anyone else think the same about the stock TCU in a modified car, or am I just overly sensitive?

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JKWMD View Post

What I want next is an APR TCU tune, as I'm not convinced that my TCU plays well with my APR 1+ set-up, (ECU flash, turbo inlet system, IC, and now, intake filter). The shift points in auto, (upshifts and downshifts), are just a bit off since I had my ECU flashed to 1+, (I'm using low grip files, btw). It's not serious, but I think the TCU could be more in sync with my current power levels.

Anyone else think the same about the stock TCU in a modified car, or am I just overly sensitive?
    Thanks for the write up. And yes, Iím only APR Stage 1 (E85, 91, 93, stock) and I have noticed that the TCU does feel like that it could be better in sync with the ECU upgrade from time to time.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Tesla Model X

What are the maintenance guidelines for the filter? Clean and oil every 5k? What oil are people using?

Also I think the filter comes already oiled up and ready to bolt on, correct?

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

What are the maintenance guidelines for the filter? Clean and oil every 5k? What oil are people using?

Also I think the filter comes already oiled up and ready to bolt on, correct?

In the past, I've generally seen filters suggest 15 or 30k miles for cleaning, depending on where you live (dusty = bad).

AZ Member #

Installed this over the weekend. Instructions were pretty lacking, but eventually figured it out. Some off bolts and connectors. Oddest part is how the actual cone filter is supposed to connect to the support bracket. Just a bizarre design. Eventually just came up with my own method as there's was odd. The filter was absolutely saturated in oil, wiped off as much excess as possible.
    OK past the weak instructions, dumb mount design, and overly oiled filter. I do notice a good power improvement running the 1+ E85 file. Feels like more power than when I added the fmic/inlet pipe. I can't comment on sound other than an occasional whoosh sound under certain driving conditions. But I did get a couple looks and a thumbs up under good throttle around town today, so must be making some added noise I can't hear with windows up and radio on. Power for price, good mod and solid performance gain on e85 file.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Anybody know where to find the instructions for the install? Canít see it anywhere on APRs website. Only thing holding me off from buying this intake is knowing if I will be able to install it at home.

Also, anybody got some videos on the sound yet?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Blackvert18 View Post
    Anybody know where to find the instructions for the install? Canít see it anywhere on APRs website. Only thing holding me off from buying this intake is knowing if I will be able to install it at home.

Also, anybody got some videos on the sound yet?
    Install is very simple. See the instruction Arin posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Arin@APR View Post
    2x Super simple.

Here's all that's involved:
    https://manuals.goapr.com/Engine_Har...intake_web.pdf

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by J_3_f_f View Post
    Install is very simple. See the instruction Arin posted.

Instructions as mentioned by myself and JKWMD are lacking some info and don't include what tools are needed for some of the stock clamps/bolts. Also some of the sizes mentioned in the install manual were simply wrong. Perhaps there is some variance for model years or cars with snow valve? Thankfully it was father's day and handled this in my dad's garage that has a tool for anything imaginable, but it was well over and hour for 2 guys - my dad's been working on cars for 50 years. If you've got a garage, full set of tools, and have some experience you'll figure it out. If you've never done anything similar or just have a small toolbox you'll have to get creative with some stuff. Worth the effort, but not a 15 minute job.

Senior Member Three Rings MichiganRS3's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Did this filter kit and spark plugs in about 30 minutes total without rushing. I felt the instructions were quite complete. We didnít have the triple square bit (even though I knew we would need it from the instructions), but used a torx that fit.

I personally donít feel any power difference, however the combination with the new plugs does seem to feel a little more smooth.

APR DSG catch can, intake catch can, and TCU Tune and I think the car would be perfect.
    `18 Mystic Blue Pearl Effect RS3
    11.2 @ 127mph / 3.17s - 0-60 - Stage 1 e85

Established Member Two Rings Rs3nardo's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I notice that I have a slight vibration in my brake pedal at idle after this install. Havenít noticed a vibration in the gas pedal. Anyone else notice anything strange like that? Not sure what it could be.

Can you send an email to APR about this? I'm sending one later today: (support@goapr.com) I have the same issue...and hate it. Brake pedal, not gas pedal.

They responded to me saying no one had reported it - but I would really like a fix for this.
    Instagram: Rs3Nardo

2018 Audi RS3 - Nardo Grey, Black Optics, Dynamic Plus, RS Design, Driver Assist, Technology, Carbon Inlays...the works.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Tesla Model X

Quote Originally Posted by Rs3nardo View Post
    Can you send an email to APR about this? I'm sending one later today: (support@goapr.com) I have the same issue...and hate it. Brake pedal, not gas pedal.

They responded to me saying no one had reported it - but I would really like a fix for this.
    I played around with this last night actually and was about to post. I unscrewed the various clamps and made sure everything was snug, and the vibration is gone. But now the filter is not sitting on the resting bracket anymore, and I ran out of time to deal with it as I had some dinner plans. Still can't quite figure out what the vibration was, but it was seriously very annoying. I thought it might be how the tube is barely touching the brake fluid reservoir, and perhaps the vibrations from the engine are reaching the pedal through that ... I dunno. Plan on messing around with this again tonight.

Separate topic, how did people get the filter to rest properly on the resting bracket underneath? Mine just floats a half inch above it.

AZ Member #

I played around with this last night actually and was about to post. I unscrewed the various clamps and made sure everything was snug, and the vibration is gone. But now the filter is not sitting on the resting bracket anymore, and I ran out of time to deal with it as I had some dinner plans. Still can't quite figure out what the vibration was, but it was seriously very annoying. I thought it might be how the tube is barely touching the brake fluid reservoir, and perhaps the vibrations from the engine are reaching the pedal through that ... I dunno. Plan on messing around with this again tonight.

Separate topic, how did people get the filter to rest properly on the resting bracket underneath? Mine just floats a half inch above it.
    Had the exact same issue with Eventuri intake and it went away when I went back to stock box with APR inlet. Now, I am hesitant to get this intake as I hated that vibration. Haha keep us posted.

AZ Member #

You're supposed to wedge the bracket in between the steel clamp and the rubber of the filter, but ended up just using a big black zip tie and called it a day

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Placed an order for just the filter assy but it is back ordered. Im curious if this brake vibration issues is from removing the airbox bracket. I recall a post someone saying that bracket acts like a brake cylinder brace.

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...ht=brake+brace

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Zwin View Post
    Placed an order for just the filter assy but it is back ordered. Im curious if this brake vibration issues is from removing the airbox bracket. I recall a post someone saying that bracket acts like a brake cylinder brace.

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...ht=brake+brace
    I'm not getting any vibration

Senior Member Three Rings MichiganRS3's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I hadnít noticed any vibrations.

In order to get the filter to rest on the bracket, I had to wiggle all the parts while loose. Tighten filter to bracket first, then other clamps back toward turbo. Then hoses.
    `18 Mystic Blue Pearl Effect RS3
    11.2 @ 127mph / 3.17s - 0-60 - Stage 1 e85

AZ Member #

If you feel a vibration, the carbon inlet tube is touching the reservoir. This can easily be resolved. Loosen the T30 on the back tube, and slide it up. This slightly rotates the system. Also, loosen the allens on the carbon intake portion, attached to the transmission, and move them forward. All of the bolts are slotted and allow for adjustments and tolerance variations from engine to engine. Retighten, and you should be good to go.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Arin@APR View Post
    The turbo inlet pipe and back tube fit with the stock airbox and 2019 DV. The front filter does not yet, unless you start swapping oem parts. We'll have a new hose made up so you don't have to do that.
    What's the ETA for this?

Established Member Two Rings whitewaterguy87's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A badass Scooter! I've had an 05, STI & 1998, 3000GT VR-4

What is the carbon bracket looking piece on the bottom for? Also how are people getting to the t30 screw on the back of the inlet pipe? I'm having a hard time getting my hand in there!20190619_153741.jpeg

Send from my phone and I am trying to learn this shit

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast