Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: JHM stage 2

Senior Member Four Rings Ape Factory's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RS5/Infiniti QX70S stormtrooper/Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 10th Anniversary

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    When I run at the track, with the Dragy app going, the trap speeds recorded by the track's radar gun are always 2-3mph faster consistently, the Dragy reading a lower trap speed. But I've trapped 114 to 115 at the track. I wouldn't mind checking against another Dragy, could even be my crappy phone. Dragy will often get elevation changes wrong too. So many variables, it's enough to scramble your brain.
    Instagram: redmist5 Youtube; https://tinyurl.com/redmistvideos
    2013 Audi RS5 Misano Red-Klassen ID M10/JHM Tune/AWE Exhaust/Eventuri Intake/Bilstein PSS10/H&R Sways/STERN/CR-15//ECS SS Brake Lines/Rear Diff Bushing/ECS rear diff inserts, front end links/034 Motorsports subframe inserts & Rear End Links/Tranny insert/E-code head, tail lights/Maxton splitter/Red Trim Start Button/black emblems/VCDS.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Was thinking about some of that. The place I ran my car was higher part of Fort Collins. I think it was 52/5300 feet but draggy said 5000 feet which is what the general elevation is for the town.
    2006 Audi A3 for daily stuff.
    Rusted up 1990 Toyota 4Runner for really rough Colorado Terrain.
    2013 Ibis white Audi RS5. Stock except for wheels.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Yeah I've made runs at the track, same lane, and the elevation graph is different each time. Yesterday, I ran a 12.2 in my secret spot, same location, and it came back invalid as I was ever so slightly over 1% grade. I've made a dozen passes on the exact same stretch and never came back invalid. Guessing it's the Russians messing with our GPS system or the accelerating pole shift between north/south. Who knows.

I haven't tested out using launch assist in manual, not sure it's even possible. But as soon as the dyno is available with the new software, I'd like to get torque readings and figure out what the optimal shift points are. I think I'm probably loosing time by going past the OEM redline. I am pretty amazed at how flat things stay to 8500 rpm though.
    2013 Audi RS5 Misano Red-Klassen ID M10/JHM Tune/AWE Exhaust/Eventuri Intake/Bilstein PSS10/H&R Sways/STERN/CR-15//ECS SS Brake Lines/Rear Diff Bushing/ECS rear diff inserts, front end links/034 Motorsports subframe inserts & Rear End Links/Tranny insert/E-code head, tail lights/Maxton splitter/Red Trim Start Button/black emblems/VCDS.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

New dyno video!

Established Member Two Rings toasteronfire's Avatar
    AZ Member #

THE GAINZ ARE REAL

Awesome video, thanks for the rigorous, methodical testing and great content.

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Thanks for posting the vid. If you had the carbon clean after the stage 1 dyno, how much of the gains would you estimate came from that?

Sent from my Pixel using Audizine mobile app

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I honestly don't have an accurate answer for that unfortunately. I really should have put the car on the dyno right after I carbon cleaned. Best intentions. but an opportunity for someone else! It has to help but how much is a guess.

Established Member Two Rings audiericus's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi RS5, Audi Q7 S-Line

How bad was the carbon? I can't imagine you had much built up with the way you maintain that car

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Audizine mobile app
    Eric
    15 RS5
    15 Q7 S-Line

AZ Member #
    My Garage

It was definitely worth cleaning. I've seen photos of other Audis where it looked far worse but I removed a good deal of carbon.

Chunk of carbon about the size of a pea.

AZ Member #

Have you experienced changes in your mpg with these tunings?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Yes. You'll find your gas mileage will plummet due to the fact you're always burying the go pedal. Seriously, it's that much more intoxicating to drive. The tune Otherwise, if you have a massive level of impulse control, your gas mileage will be identical as the closed loop feedback hasn't changed. It's still using the 02 sensors to determine and maintain stoich when cruising. I know everyone in Cali pays an arm and a leg for gas.

But there's no getting around physics. More hp requires more air and more fuel. Same when you increase flow in and out of the car with say a K&N filter or an aftermarket exhaust. You've improved volumetric efficiency but not fuel economy.

Despite the fact I have relatively inexpensive gas here in Texas, I record my mileage regularly. I do about 80% (fast!) highway and 20% urban on my daily commute. I'll get anywhere from 14-18mpg depending on how the car is driven. That range hasn't changed with the tune per se, I'm just enjoying the car more and so I'm seeing things on the lower end of said range. I've not been able to take a mileage reading with the stage 2 yet as I've been doing testing. But again, drive the car somewhat normally and your gas mileage isn't really going to suffer. The CFSA engine is remarkably efficient for what it is.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Ape, have you found any "kinks" in the Stage 2 or TCU tune to have them improve before production/regular public release? I'm talking about how on Stage 1 a few of you guys found some undesirable behavior that JHM ultimately was able to reproduce and identify and correct with an update. Just wondering basically if I should wait a couple months while they work out these issues prior vs being a 1st-day official release buyer etc. Ofc am also waiting for them to confirm 8800rpm in manual mode with optional file delete to keep kickdown effect but that's another matter completely.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Nada. It's been solid.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi RS5, Audi Q7 S-Line

Quote Originally Posted by AsherAudi View Post
    Ape, have you found any "kinks" in the Stage 2 or TCU tune to have them improve before production/regular public release? I'm talking about how on Stage 1 a few of you guys found some undesirable behavior that JHM ultimately was able to reproduce and identify and correct with an update. Just wondering basically if I should wait a couple months while they work out these issues prior vs being a 1st-day official release buyer etc. Ofc am also waiting for them to confirm 8800rpm in manual mode with optional file delete to keep kickdown effect but that's another matter completely.
    From what Ive been able to keep up with, it's been going under extensive testing for some time now.

Eric
    15 RS5
    15 Q7 S-Line

Senior Member Three Rings BuyTheWarranty's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Panther Black RS5 / 2010 Infiniti FX35

Quote Originally Posted by audiericus View Post
    From what Ive been able to keep up with, it's been going under extensive testing for some time now.

Yay, sites back up!

Yes! Stage 2 and TCU has been tested on multiple customer RS5ís for months at this point, and JHMs vehicle since likely late last year.

Should be our end of July Iíd imagine, just waiting for server flash updates!

Registered Member One Ring Durin's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RS5 : SQ5

Quote Originally Posted by Jake@JHM View Post
    Haven't fully decided yet. It may just be available in manual mode only, so you can shift it when you want to
    My 2 cents

I think it should be manual mode only and even that should be optional, not sure why people would want to risk their engines for no extra performance and minimal sound improvements?

How have JHM satisfied themselves there are no reliability concerns with these revs ?

Also I see a large amount of the Tune and TCU benefits relate to launch control, I note Jake you quote 350 launches and it seems plenty of the forum use launch control regularly, I'd love to use launch but can't help but feel it puts the whole drive train under huge stress ? Please convince me otherwise 😜

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Durin View Post

Also I see a large amount of the Tune and TCU benefits relate to launch control, I note Jake you quote 350 launches and it seems plenty of the forum use launch control regularly, I'd love to use launch but can't help but feel it puts the whole drive train under huge stress ? Please convince me otherwise 😜
    I know the feeling. I started a thread for launch control data to help determine the impact on tranny from doing many launch controls. Jakeís comment of doing 350 is by far the highest Iíve seen on original transmission. Iím probably at 30 launches with no issues.

Iíd like to believe that the impact of launches are minimal and more so with Jakeís 350 number but most people that posted are a lot lower so still inconclusive for me.
    2006 Audi A3 for daily stuff.
    Rusted up 1990 Toyota 4Runner for really rough Colorado Terrain.
    2013 Ibis white Audi RS5. Stock except for wheels.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

There's one member on here who has over 1,000 launches on his S5 and he's making gobs more power than we are. It's a sturdy gearbox!

The TCU tune is much more than launch control though. The improvements in D and S mode are quite significant and there's also more thermal management which helps with longevity of parts.

Established Member Two Rings toasteronfire's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Just picked my car up from JHM and while it's too hot out here to test properly right now, I can say just on my drive home I'm already 100% satisfied with what JHM has done here with Stage 2/TCU. As Ape said before, drivability in all modes vastly improved. Feels like a new car to me. Addressed all my complaints about the TCU. Excited to play with it more.

Really well done.
    2014 Audi RS5 | Capristo exhaust. 034 Motorsport (all the inserts). Eventuri intake. JHM Stage 2 ECU+TCU. Spacers. P3 Gauge. ECS Stainless Steel brake lines. Red start button. TAWChicago red carbon paddle shifters. Apple CarPlay (RSNAV).

Also: 1990 MK2 VW GTI; 2016 Mazda CX-9 ||||| The path that led me here: 2004 VW Golf TDI; 2012 Audi A8; 2015 Jetta GLI; 2012 Audi S4; 2012 VW Jetta TDI; 2013 Audi Q5 TDI; 2008 BMW 335i; 2005 BMW Z4

Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings Jake@JHM's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    AEV JKUR - R6

Quote Originally Posted by toasteronfire View Post
    Just picked my car up from JHM and while it's too hot out here to test properly right now, I can say just on my drive home I'm already 100% satisfied with what JHM has done here with Stage 2/TCU. As Ape said before, drivability in all modes vastly improved. Feels like a new car to me. Addressed all my complaints about the TCU. Excited to play with it more.

Really well done.
    Wait until its cooler outside

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Wait until its cooler outside
    And for the rest of us peasants, we have to wait for the cable and server
    2015 Panther Black RS5 | YouTube Channel - https://tinyurl.com/PhantomBlackRS5
    JHM 2.75" Catback & 2.75" Non-Resonated Downpipes / JHM Stage 1 ECU / Fast Wheels FC04 20" Rims / K&N Intake Filters / Password Engineering Spacers 12mm x 4

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    AEV JKUR - R6

Quote Originally Posted by BuyTheWarranty View Post
    And for the rest of us peasants, we have to wait for the cable and server
    Road trip to JHM!

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Road trip to JHM!
    That'll be for the supercharger
    2015 Panther Black RS5 | YouTube Channel - https://tinyurl.com/PhantomBlackRS5
    JHM 2.75" Catback & 2.75" Non-Resonated Downpipes / JHM Stage 1 ECU / Fast Wheels FC04 20" Rims / K&N Intake Filters / Password Engineering Spacers 12mm x 4

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Road trip to JHM!
    I'm actually going to be in San Fran/Napa on Friday but I don't think I can convince the wife to take a trip inland unless we head out to Lodi.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    AEV JKUR - R6

Quote Originally Posted by Ape Factory View Post
    I'm actually going to be in San Fran/Napa on Friday but I don't think I can convince the wife to take a trip inland unless we head out to Lodi.
    Ah damn, definitely try to make it to the shop! On the way here if you head out in the morning you will be going the opposite way of traffic. Only about 50min to and hour drive and our location is on a frontage road right off I5.

Established Member Two Rings Xyrian's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 S3

Quote Originally Posted by toasteronfire View Post

Really well done.
    exciting stuff, can't wait to get mine done in a week =]
    RS5
    Phantom Black/Black Interior
    Current: Eventuri intake, Capristo exhaust, Interior LEDs, Red Ring Start, Eventuri Engine Cover, Ecodes
    Pending: Slam Panel

S3:
    Sepang Blue
    Black/Magma Interior, Technology Package, Black Optics, B&O, Red Brake calipers

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Ah damn, definitely try to make it to the shop! On the way here if you head out in the morning you will be going the opposite way of traffic. Only about 50min to and hour drive and our location is on a frontage road right off I5.
    If it were just me, I'd be there. Need to convince my better half! I'm working on it :)

Veteran Member Four Rings namvar's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013, Q7 Prestige, Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo, Cabinet full of Adam's Polish Products

Quote Originally Posted by Ape Factory View Post
    If it were just me, I'd be there. Need to convince my better half! I'm working on it :)
    I'm sure you will have as much luck as I usually have. "honey, there is an Audi showroom outside the terminal (Munich) can we stop by before we go through security?" Response: Glare followed by a very obvious eye roll

2015 RS5: Mythos Black, Tech, Dynamic steering, Black Optics packages, Folding side mirror upgrade, internal LED lights, Eventuri Intake, Akrapovič exhaust, lots of CF
    2013 3.0T Prestige Q7: Sport pedals, LED interior lights

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi RS5, Audi Q7 S-Line

Quote Originally Posted by BuyTheWarranty View Post
    That'll be for the supercharger
    ditto on that man
    Eric
    15 RS5
    15 Q7 S-Line

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123