Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

New to me 2014 S7 did not pass emissions

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I recently purchased a 2014 S7. Found out it had APR downpipes and a stage 2 tune. I'm very happy with that but it won't pass emissions. Did some searching and found one idea where I flash it back to stock using and drive for 30 miles and then try. Anyone else have any ways to make this pass without actually switching back to stock downpipes? It's not a sniff test, just an OBD hookup.

Thanks

Established Member Two Rings Roccorace's Avatar
    AZ Member #

It should pass. Is the tune APR as well? I'd call them if so and all what they suggest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Audi RS7 | Daytona Grey Matte
    - Milltek Non-resonated Exhaust
    - Full LED Color-change Interior Lighting upgrade
    - ECS Flush Spacer Kit
    - OBDEleven modified | Lowered 10mm | VIM | Seatbelt Chime | Heater timers

Established Member Two Rings MolonLabe300's Avatar
    AZ Member #

My DP's are the same format as APR (Milltek).I had the same issue with a OBD emissions test. Mine would pass either so I had to add the vibrant O2 spacers with the smallest insert. I then cleared the code and drove like a granny to work, then on lunch drove to the testing center (not sure if that helped or not haha). No CEL popped. Took the test and is passed. With in 100yards after passing I popped the dongle back in and switched to S2 93octane. I have the APR dongle.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Audizine mobile app
    13 S6 APR S2, Milltek turbo back, roc-euro, AMG coolant pump.

Senior Member Two Rings scott in cincy's Avatar
    AZ Member #

This discussion is exactly why I went with AMS DP's.
    Scott

2013 S7 | Estoril Blue | Lunar Silver | EPL Stage 2 93 ECU & TCU | AMS Catted DPs | OCarbon Large Weave Carbon Package | Alu Kruez | Eurocode Sways | HRE FF01 10.5" x 4

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

What’s so bad about having O2 sensor spacers? They’re not exactly expensive. Genuine question I have no opinion either way, I was just ready to go the APR + spacer route and wondered what the downsides are?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by fiscomi View Post
    I recently purchased a 2014 S7. Found out it had APR downpipes and a stage 2 tune. I'm very happy with that but it won't pass emissions. Did some searching and found one idea where I flash it back to stock using and drive for 30 miles and then try. Anyone else have any ways to make this pass without actually switching back to stock downpipes? It's not a sniff test, just an OBD hookup.

Thanks
    I think you need O2 Sensor spacers and have to drive in stock mode for some time. Not flash back to stock mode, but the stock mode provided with the APR tune. After the readiness codes reset it should pass. Then you just remove the spacers and switch back to the other program.

Veteran Member Four Rings wwhan's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Having the cats in the correct location (like on AMS pipes), allows them to operately at the proper temperature, so the secondary O2 sensors see the correct value.

The APR stage 2 tune turns off the error code for the secondary O2 sensors.

Some people have had issues with getting the right Vibrant J extenders and using the right small orifice. The process can be fiddaly & looks a bit Mickey Mouse.
    2016 S6 Sport

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Signature

Using the O2 spacer will work as mentioned above.. You "should" be able to use the cruise control stalk or dongle to change the APR program to "stock" which will allow you to achieve readiness of the rear O2 sensor so you can do your emissions test. Then you can revert it back to stage 2 and go on as normal.

You wont have to get re-flashed at an APR dealer unless you don't have the "stock" file as one of your programs loaded.
    Current Line-Up:
    2015 Audi S6 - RS7 Turbos, "Mike's" Catted Downpipes, SRM Intake, APR ECU & TCU, AMS Cooling System, H&R Module, Eurocode sways and Alu Kreuz, 20 x 9 et38 & 21lbs each, 15% Ceramic Tint all windows except windshield, Xpel Ultimate - Entire Car
    2012 VW Golf R - APR in-house build Stage 4
    2002 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster - Big Turbo
    1995 Camaro Z28 6 Speed - Just Bolt-Ons
    2008 Kawaski ZX-10R - Kawi Green

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Ok, thanks for all the info. I'm thinking I'll go that route. I'll put the spacers in, flash back to "stock" mode (with my cruise control stalk), drive it and get it re-tested.

Anyone know of a good spacer for the o2 sensors?

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 a4, 2015 s4

Vibrant j shaped spacers, with smallest restrictors installed

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by s4majid View Post
    I think you need O2 Sensor spacers and have to drive in stock mode for some time. Not flash back to stock mode, but the stock mode provided with the APR tune. After the readiness codes reset it should pass. Then you just remove the spacers and switch back to the other program.
    There is no need to remove the spacers after inspection. Once you switch back to the tune file the rear sensors are coded out anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by wwhan View Post
    Having the cats in the correct location (like on AMS pipes), allows them to operately at the proper temperature, so the secondary O2 sensors see the correct value.

The APR stage 2 tune turns off the error code for the secondary O2 sensors.

Some people have had issues with getting the right Vibrant J extenders and using the right small orifice. The process can be fiddaly & looks a bit Mickey Mouse.
    I had problems getting readiness set before the CEL coming on initially after installing the Vibrant J-style sensors with the smallest hole restriction but it turned out that my shop had switched the extensions for the rear O2 sensors (there is a test in VCDS you can run to check this). After they fixed that, no more issues. I can get readiness set by driving around for a while on the stock program.
    2016 Audi S6 Prestige

2015 Audi Q7 S line Prestige

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by hmuller View Post
    There is no need to remove the spacers after inspection. Once you switch back to the tune file the rear sensors are coded out anyway.

I had problems getting readiness set before the CEL coming on initially after installing the Vibrant J-style sensors with the smallest hole restriction but it turned out that my shop had switched the extensions for the rear O2 sensors (there is a test in VCDS you can run to check this). After they fixed that, no more issues. I can get readiness set by driving around for a while on the stock program.

So how many of these do I need? Do I use them on all the O2 sensors?

Thanks

Veteran Member Four Rings wwhan's Avatar
    AZ Member #

So how many of these do I need? Do I use them on all the O2 sensors?

Thanks
    Only two for the secondary O2 sensors that monitor Cat efficiency.
    2016 S6 Sport

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by wwhan View Post
    Only two for the secondary O2 sensors that monitor Cat efficiency.
    And, they are sold in pairs.

On my Milltek exhaust. IMG_20190302_115155.jpegIMG_20190302_115149.jpeg

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by MolonLabe300 View Post
    And, they are sold in pairs.
    I have only seen them sold as singles. Anyway, just ~$32-35 per piece.

https://smile.amazon.com/Vibrant-116...gateway&sr=8-3
    2016 Audi S6 Prestige

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 Audi S6 Sepang Blue APR Stage 2, SRM intake, Mercedes GLE 350 SUV, Honda Odyssey

New to me 2014 S7 did not pass emissions

My installer used the mid sized ones not smallest he said that will work best even though I asked him to use the smallest restrictor. Said something about the length of the harness being the reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Last edited by overclocked; 06-04-2019 at 02:00 PM.
    2018 S6 Sepang Blue APR Stage 2 with APR DP, SRM intake
    2017 Mercedes GLE 350 4MATIC Stock

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by hmuller View Post
    I have only seen them sold as singles. Anyway, just ~$32-35 per piece.

https://smile.amazon.com/Vibrant-116...gateway&sr=8-3
    You are correct, I miss remembered. They are sold in singles.

Veteran Member Four Rings ericw.'s Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by kebabman View Post
    What’s so bad about having O2 sensor spacers? They’re not exactly expensive. Genuine question I have no opinion either way, I was just ready to go the APR + spacer route and wondered what the downsides are?
    Nothing at all is wrong with the spacers. They get the job done and you still saved at least $900 over AMS.
    IG @lolzhax // agilitydrives.us
    C7 S7 4.0tt | LX7U | APR STG2 | JHMotorsports DP + CATBACK | S-FloV2 | EUROCODE SWAYS | CETE ASC | RFX7 | EVO2 | RS7 FR+R | PD700R Splitter | Maxton Skirt+Spoiler Extensions | Indicator Delete | Hardwired
    b7 a4 2.0t | Stage 2+ | DTM Body | All the bolt-on mods | [sold]

Established Member Two Rings thorlax240's Avatar
    AZ Member #

[QUOTE=overclocked;13700243]My installer used the mid sized ones not smallest he said that will work best even though I asked him to use the smallest restrictor. Said something about the length of the harness being the reason.

You passed emissions with the mid sized restrictors?
    APR STG2 | APR downpipes | AWE touring catback | Roc Euro intakes | Eurocode F&R sways/endlinks | 20" RS7 forged/PZERO | 20" OEM rotors/Sottozero 3 | lowered VCDS | 15% Luminex tint | RS6 grill

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 Audi S6 Sepang Blue APR Stage 2, SRM intake, Mercedes GLE 350 SUV, Honda Odyssey

I don’t have emissions tests in Illinois where I live this was just a precaution

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2018 S6 Sepang Blue APR Stage 2 with APR DP, SRM intake
    2017 Mercedes GLE 350 4MATIC Stock

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Thanks
    The reason you're unable to smog is because the monitors are disabled by your tune. There's nothing wrong with the car, but you'll need to flash back to stock and drive around 100 miles to reset everything. I live in Vegas (Smog test) and have a UM Stage 2 tune on my MK7 R... same issues (Fuel/O2/Catalyst "NOT READY"). I'm about to pull the trigger on a Eurodyne handheld tuner so I can do my own flashing in the garage. It's a real pain in the ass to get it removed/reinstalled when you can't DIY.

You aren't 'failing' the test. Having multiple monitors disabled prevents the test from beginning.

Also, it sounds like that car may have a flash tune AND a JB4 piggyback. The ECU will need to be returned to stock for a smog test. The JB4 can stay in place.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Rossinator View Post
    The reason you're unable to smog is because the monitors are disabled by your tune. There's nothing wrong with the car, but you'll need to flash back to stock and drive around 100 miles to reset everything. I live in Vegas (Smog test) and have a UM Stage 2 tune on my MK7 R... same issues (Fuel/O2/Catalyst "NOT READY"). I'm about to pull the trigger on a Eurodyne handheld tuner so I can do my own flashing in the garage. It's a real pain in the ass to get it removed/reinstalled when you can't DIY.

You aren't 'failing' the test. Having multiple monitors disabled prevents the test from beginning.

Also, it sounds like that car may have a flash tune AND a JB4 piggyback. The ECU will need to be returned to stock for a smog test. The JB4 can stay in place.
    No need to flash back to stock unless you don't have a stock file as one of your four options. Just select the stock file and drive around until all readiness bits are set.
    Last edited by hmuller; Yesterday at 03:15 PM.
    2016 Audi S6 Prestige

Veteran Member Four Rings The Infiltrator's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Get some Mike's downpipes or AMS. You'll be fine, plus they sound better.
    2018 Audi S6 Prestige | Black Optic | S Sport | Driver Assist | Carbon Atlas
    Mike's 300c DP's | AWE Touring w/Black Tips | AWE S-FLO II Intake | Power Stop Z16 Ceramic Pads | ECSTuning Trans & Diff Mounts | Vertini RF1.1 20x9 +25 Brushed Titanium 22lbs w/Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S 265/35/20 | -15mm w/VCDS | 20% Tint

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Move to a state with no inspections. Problem solved. ;)
    2013 Audi S6 Ibis White, Black interior, LED headlights, 20" alloy wheels, Carbon Atlas inlays, Audi side assist

Mods Bel STiR Plus, Blinder HP-905, BlackVue dash cams (front and rear), Black Optics grill, Black window trim, XPel Ultimate film, Modesta BC-03 glass coating