Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Lexus RC350 (Gone)

Best Car for $30k-$40k

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello all, this is always a fun discussion to have with fellow enthusiasts. I will be buying a car soon and plan to spend between $30k and $40k. I want to hear peoples opinions about what is the best in that range.

A little about my previous cars and what I liked about them:
    My first car was a B7 A4, loved the interior, great little 2.0L, unbelievable in the snow. Ended up selling it when the turbo gave out.
    Moved into an E46 325xi Touring, loved the shape of the wagon, got some M3 styling on it and it looked amazing. Carved the mountains really well for a wagon. Sold after heading to college.
    Next, took over a lease on an 2015 Lexus RC350. Great highway/open road cruiser, absolutely ate up miles. Reliable as hell, super comfy interior, but lacked the tech and modern look of its competitors.
    After turning that in, took over another lease on a 2016 C450. Great car, fantastic interior, drives like a rocket when you want it to. Maintenance is a bit absurd (3 rims cracked in 9 months, a bit of vibration, regular maintenance is unnecessarily expensive for what the car is).

Once that lease is up in the fall, I'll be looking to buy something used. I'd love to be between 30k and 40k (USD).
    Need something with:
    AWD
    300+ hp (don't mind going Stage 1 to get this)
    Comfy interior for longer drives
    Fairly up-to-date tech
    CPO preferred (been scarred by European cars before)
    Coupe, Sedan, or Wagon
    Under 40k miles preferred
    Leaning towards an Audi, but don't have a strict brand preference.

Throw any thoughts you have my way. I'm excited to hear what people have in mind!
    2016 Mercedes C450 AMG (Daily)
    2015 Lexus RC350 (Gone)
    E46 328xi Wagon (Gone)
    B7 A4 2.0T S-Line (Gone)

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Wife’s 2018 A5 PP coup CPO was $42k with 2800 miles on it. Could probably find one similar with a few more miles on it in your range. All the tech you can ask for, would need a stage 1 to get to 300hp but doable.

Super fun car to drive, decent mpg and good performance stock. A bit of tuning and it would be a good performer. Interior is great too.

JW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I'm currently in love with the genesis g80 sport 3.3t. I work for genesis and I'll really only see a sport every week or two, but they always impress me. Great looking car with a really cool interior, and the 3.3 is quick. We haven't really seen any major problems with the g80 either. Only real downfall with them is that they're pretty big cars and not nimble by any means. Doesn't get the best fuel mileage either. They are super comfortable though.

Sent from my SM-P550 using Audizine mobile app

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Any preference on transmission type? Wanting a manual in today's market would severely limit your options.

How about number of usable seats or doors? Or back seat space for 6' tall people?

I'm bias to wagons and hatchbacks, so I'd probably suggest looking at the Allroad, BMW 328x wagon (gas, but the diesel has tons of torque making it feel much faster than it is), Ford Focus RS (smaller rear seat and trunk), or a TTS/TTRS.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Lexus RC350 (Gone)

It will be my daily driver and I commute in and around the city, so for traffic reasons, I would avoid a manual. I occasionally have passengers but as long as two medium sized people can fit in the back, size is not an issue. I'm not crazy about the Focus RS interior, but I am a big fan of wagons, it's just a matter of finding one that powerful enough that I don't miss my C450 too too much. The TTS may be just barely too small since I ski almost weekly over the winter. I could get my gear in my RC350, but it was a bit of a squeeze.
    2015 Lexus RC350 (Gone)
    E46 328xi Wagon (Gone)
    B7 A4 2.0T S-Line (Gone)

AZ Member #

I'm also a big fan of wagons and skiing!

The Allroad and the 328 wagon would be good candidates, and they're at the low end of your budget, but they may not have the power you would like. You can always modify them for a bit more power, but it still won't be the same. Another option might be a 2010-11 A6 Avant, with the supercharged v6; it's a bit bigger, older, but it has a more powerful engine than the two options above. It's also cheaper, so you could modify it for more power and put leftover money away into a maintenance/rainy-day account. Just a thought. It's too bad that the Jaguar XF S Sportbrake hasn't been out long enough for them to be in your price range, because that could be an interesting option.

Also, if you're ever considering mounting skis on the roof via a rack or box, I'd stay away from the sportbacks (A5, A7) due to hatch clearance concerns.

Hopefully Audi will bring back sporty wagons soon...

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Lexus RC350 (Gone)

Quote Originally Posted by jpaan View Post
    I'm also a big fan of wagons and skiing!

The Allroad and the 328 wagon would be good candidates, and they're at the low end of your budget, but they may not have the power you would like. You can always modify them for a bit more power, but it still won't be the same. Another option might be a 2010-11 A6 Avant, with the supercharged v6; it's a bit bigger, older, but it has a more powerful engine than the two options above. It's also cheaper, so you could modify it for more power and put leftover money away into a maintenance/rainy-day account. Just a thought. It's too bad that the Jaguar XF S Sportbrake hasn't been out long enough for them to be in your price range, because that could be an interesting option.

Also, if you're ever considering mounting skis on the roof via a rack or box, I'd stay away from the sportbacks (A5, A7) due to hatch clearance concerns.

Hopefully Audi will bring back sporty wagons soon...

Have you ever seen the SeaSucker ski racks? They work with hatches and in my opinion look very clean (https://www.seasucker.com/products/ski-rack) . I could also go the Jon Olsson route with a Thule and basically build it into the car .

On another note, I think it'd be cool to start a thread for skiers to see how people set their Audis up and where they take them.
    2015 Lexus RC350 (Gone)
    E46 328xi Wagon (Gone)
    B7 A4 2.0T S-Line (Gone)

AZ Member #

I've never seen the SeaSuckers before; they look interesting, but I'd be worried not having hard mounting points to the car and the additional stress on the rear glass of a sportback.

I'm a fan of boxes on a wagon; they're aesthetically pleasing and are useful for more than just skis. There's a roofbox thread in the Avants section, but it's not specific to skiing. I also think it'd be cool to have a thread to discuss ski mounting options for any type of car.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Lexus RC350 (Gone)

Another cool option, especially for wagons, is the company 56Nord. They make all-carbon boxes with front mounted hinges and they can do custom colors. I'm sure its not cheap but its by far the best box design I've seen out there.
    http://www.56nord.com
    2015 Lexus RC350 (Gone)
    E46 328xi Wagon (Gone)
    B7 A4 2.0T S-Line (Gone)