Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Stage II APR Pulley in 2016 A6

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    My warranty will be expiring at the end of the summer, so I am getting the bug to do some performance mods. One of those being a stage II APR tune.

Has anyone here swapped out the stock pulley for the Stage II APR pulley on their facelift A6? I know that we have a different design than past years which required the pulling tool and taking off the front bumper.

Is it pretty easy to get to the pulley from under the car and just remove it without having to uninstall anything else?

Anyone with experience doing this, could you please provide any insight you may have. I would greatly appreciate it.
    Audi A6 3.0T - Prestige

Eurocode Sways | Injen intake on its way

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Audi A4 3.2 Quattro; 2010 Acura RDX (my wife's vehicle)

You may want to specify whether you are considering replacing the supercharger pulley or crank pulley. I am advising from a S4 standpoint but believe -- assuming you are replacing the S/C pulley -- you access it from above. The crank pulley is more easily accessed from below and does not require a pulling tool, per se, but a different tool may be helpful.
    2014 Monsoon Gray S4 Prem+ | S-Tronic | LH Magma Nappa leather interior | Carbon Atlas inlays | Sports Diff | Adaptive Damping suspension | 19Ē peelers | MMI Nav | Bang & Olufsen | tints | VAG COM mods via OBDeleven | Autostyle Mats

AZ Member #

I'm honestly not sure which pulleys need replaced. Whatever the standard is for a 2016 A6 - stage II APR kit.
    Audi A6 3.0T - Prestige

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I just recently went APR Stage 2 with single pulley upgrade on my 2016 A6 3.0

Best decision I have made since I bought the car lol

If you are going single pulley, I would just have whomever does the APR Stage 2, to install the pulley at the same time as the reflash. I have been advised that our facelift 3.0 cars go into overboost/limp mode if you install the pulley before the reflash.

The pulley for our cars is just 4 bolts and takes like 25 minutes tops. The place I had the reflash done installed the pulley at no charge to me since it was so easy.
    2016 A6 FSM Premier Plus S-Line 3.0T - Roc-Euro Intake - APR Stage 2 Single Pulley - Audi Virgin

AZ Member #

Does it make sense getting both the s/c pulley and crank pulley?
    Audi A6 3.0T - Prestige

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 A6 3.0T Prestige + others

Quote Originally Posted by pfar54 View Post
    if you want to go dual pulley, you will need cooling upgrade.
    - Michael
    2012 A6 3.0T Prestige:
    GIAC Dual Pulley 57.1+187 / Merc HX / Injen Intake / OEM muffler mod (Quad Tips + X-Pipe) / Eurocode drivetrain inserts / 034 Swaybar / Volk wheels / Bilstein+Eibach / RS front grill / Deval Carbon rear diffuser / Maxton Front Spoiler and Side Skirt add on / Carbon trunk spoiler / Carbon mirror / Stoptech rotors.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

You can - but the single pulley does the trick.

I will be doing the crank pulley and cooling system upgrade later on.
    2016 A6 FSM Premier Plus S-Line 3.0T - Roc-Euro Intake - APR Stage 2 Single Pulley - Audi Virgin

Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings Jake@JHM's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MK7-GTI-APR-STG2-Grand-Cherokee-R6-Raven-IRON-1250

We have a couple of great Overdrive Pulley options.

https://jhmotorsports.com/catalogsea...erdrive+pulley

The 179mm crank pulley is equivalent to the APR SC Pulley

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Jake@JHM View Post
    We have a couple of great Overdrive Pulley options.

https://jhmotorsports.com/catalogsea...erdrive+pulley

The 179mm crank pulley is equivalent to the APR SC Pulley
    There is a lot of information out there on this forum about which pulley you may want to upgrade when going stage 2 - either S/C or Crank - it's all about ratio's and reliability. I dont have the links readily available right now, but maybe Jake from JHM can explain the benefits of changing the Crank pulley over the S/C pulley - the obvious benefit; the crank pulley has been known to fail in pre-facelift A6's, not sure if this has been fully resolved in post-facelift, even though p/n have changed (not enough miles on MY16+ A6's?).

I can personally say, when I go Stage 2, I will be changing the crank pulley vs. the s/c pulley. The APR Stage 2 tune works with replacing either one of the pulley's. I am also waiting for the APR TCU tune - which APR has been saying for months now; it's coming.

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Just had the APR Stage II SC pulley and tune installed on 5-3 and I like the new power but I'm not happy with not being able to change mapping to 95/100/104 octane for when I head to the track. Since I sent them an email 3 days ago and have nothing back from them it looks like the tune will be coming off and I'll go with someone else. 2013 A6 Prestige.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMarkey View Post
    There is a lot of information out there on this forum about which pulley you may want to upgrade when going stage 2 - either S/C or Crank - it's all about ratio's and reliability. I dont have the links readily available right now, but maybe Jake from JHM can explain the benefits of changing the Crank pulley over the S/C pulley - the obvious benefit; the crank pulley has been known to fail in pre-facelift A6's, not sure if this has been fully resolved in post-facelift, even though p/n have changed (not enough miles on MY16+ A6's?).

I can personally say, when I go Stage 2, I will be changing the crank pulley vs. the s/c pulley. The APR Stage 2 tune works with replacing either one of the pulley's. I am also waiting for the APR TCU tune - which APR has been saying for months now; it's coming.
    If you are trying to just mimic a SC pulley then you will want the 179mm overdrive. You can do the 187mm overdrive if you want more torque etc. Then even more so if you combine the SC and Crank pulleys together which is known as DP or Dual Pulley.

So far all of the factory crank pulleys are still subject to fail, so by replacing the factory crank pulley with one of our overdrives, you get three benefits. 1) more boost 2) lightweight pulley for faster engine response/rev 3) preventative maintenance as it will not fail like the factory pulley.

I am in the market for a C7 A6 3.0T so when I eventually get it, we will be making a TCU file as well.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Jake@JHM View Post
    I am in the market for a C7 A6 3.0T so when I eventually get it, we will be making a TCU file as well.
    Very cool, Jake! Want to consider being in the market for a C7.5 with the SIMOS 16 ZF8 tranny, so I/we can benefit from that TCU tune you speak of??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Very cool, Jake! Want to consider being in the market for a C7.5 with the SIMOS 16 ZF8 tranny, so I/we can benefit from that TCU tune you speak of??

Haha! We shall see. Working on a budget and selling off some of my toys to pay for it

AZ Member #

My warranty will be expiring at the end of the summer, so I am getting the bug to do some performance mods. One of those being a stage II APR tune.

Has anyone here swapped out the stock pulley for the Stage II APR pulley on their facelift A6? I know that we have a different design than past years which required the pulling tool and taking off the front bumper.

Is it pretty easy to get to the pulley from under the car and just remove it without having to uninstall anything else?

Anyone with experience doing this, could you please provide any insight you may have. I would greatly appreciate it.
    If going single pulley you can do so on the SC without removing anything. Just need to unbolt. If crank pulley you'll need to go onto service position.
    C7 A6 3.0T, APR Stage 2+, P3U TCU tune, 3.56PR, Tampa Motorsports Porter Blower, 75mm Porsche 997 911 TB and some other goodies.

0-60mph 3.02 seconds
    0-100mph 6.79 seconds
    1/4 mile 10.89 @125.91mph on street tires (PS4's)

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Ugh - this! I have a C7.5 and I am dying to get my hands on a TCU tune to go along with my Stage 2.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by p3u View Post
    If going single pulley you can do so on the SC without removing anything. Just need to unbolt. If crank pulley you'll need to go onto service position.
    What do you mean going into service position? With either option, at minimum I will have to loosen my serpentine belt, right?

Will the 187mm overdrive crank work without replacing the s/c pulley?
    Audi A6 3.0T - Prestige

Established Member Three Rings JWebb_C7_Comp's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 A6 Comp, 2017 Q7

Quote Originally Posted by kennysexypants View Post
    Ugh - this! I have a C7.5 and I am dying to get my hands on a TCU tune to go along with my Stage 2.
    Iíve for a 2018 A6 with APR stage1. I need TCU tunes as well. Normal driving in D it shifts like butter, which is great. But, I need it to be in beast mode while in S.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Active Member One Ring WatchMeSpend's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I just recently went APR Stage 2 with single pulley upgrade on my 2016 A6 3.0

Best decision I have made since I bought the car lol

If you are going single pulley, I would just have whomever does the APR Stage 2, to install the pulley at the same time as the reflash. I have been advised that our facelift 3.0 cars go into overboost/limp mode if you install the pulley before the reflash.

The pulley for our cars is just 4 bolts and takes like 25 minutes tops. The place I had the reflash done installed the pulley at no charge to me since it was so easy.
    Good to hear. That will be my next move, APR stage 1 no pulley right now, but what a bang for the buck. Need a TCU tune bad to capitalize on the higher revving HP.

Active Member One Ring gman44116's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 Cadillac ATS

Quote Originally Posted by p3u View Post
    Can you confirm the install on a pre-facelift you have to put into service position to remove/install the crank pulley..? I thought the S/c pulley remove install required service position and the crank pulley you can from underneath.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by gman44116 View Post
    Can you confirm the install on a pre-facelift you have to put into service position to remove/install the crank pulley..? I thought the S/c pulley remove install required service position and the crank pulley you can from underneath.
    Pre facelift you need to either go into service position or remove supercharger.
    C7 A6 3.0T, APR Stage 2+, P3U TCU tune, 3.56PR, Tampa Motorsports Porter Blower, 75mm Porsche 997 911 TB and some other goodies.

0-60mph 3.02 seconds
    0-100mph 6.79 seconds
    1/4 mile 10.89 @125.91mph on street tires (PS4's)

AZ Member #
    My Garage

From what I recall we have installed our overdrive crank pulleys on pre-facelift cars from underneath without service position. Can't do a slip over style though as there isn't enough room.

AZ Member #

Can anyone confirm if you need to put the facelift versions in the service position to install the crank pulley?
    Last edited by pfar54; 05-17-2019 at 09:14 AM.
    Audi A6 3.0T - Prestige

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Chris@EPL's Avatar
    AZ Member #

2016-2018 A6/A7 3.0Ts have the 4 bolt SC pulley so much easier to change the SC pulley.
    European Performance Labs
    http://www.facebook.com/EPLabs
    https://www.instagram.com/eplabs/
    (203-345-6499)
    Chris@eplabs.net

Please feel free to contact us with any questions!!

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@EPL View Post
    2016-2018 A6/A7 3.0Ts have the 4 bolt SC pulley so much easier to change the SC pulley.
    Really I had no idea?
    So facelift A6/A7 3.0 it's as simple as getting to the pulley, remove belt, remove 4 screws then swap in new pulley with 4 screws and new belt?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C7 A7 & B8 S5

Quote Originally Posted by JWebb_C7_Comp View Post
    Iíve for a 2018 A6 with APR stage1. I need TCU tunes as well. Normal driving in D it shifts like butter, which is great. But, I need it to be in beast mode while in S.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    What's preventing you? Contact P3U.
    C7 A7 3.0T | XLR8 196.5mm CP | IE Stage 2 DP tune | P3U TCU | RKX intake | 11.59 @ 119.88