Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Question Bang & Olufsen - Retrofit in Progress

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey guys,

Looking to retrofit the Bang & Olufsen system to my S6 Avant. I have looked at a lot of wiring diagrams but am puzzled about the amplifiers. It seems like Pre-Facelift uses 2 amplifiers, whereas Facelift uses one (mine is a Facelift).

Would someone be able to let me know whether they have one or two amps, if itís a Facelift or not and from which region they are?

It would help me a lot to make a final adapter between the BOSE plugs and Bang & Olufsen amps. :)

Thank you!
    Chris
    Last edited by vrod; 05-20-2019 at 06:14 AM.

Veteran Member Three Rings Alister's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RS6

Iíve got a facelift RS6 Avant with the B&O - pretty sure it only has the one amp for the B&O behind the panel on the LHS in the boot (trunk). Can take a pic of it if you would like?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RS6

I should add that my car is an Australian delivered car, which should match European / Rest of World specs.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Yes it would be awesome if you could do that, thank you!

Veteran Member Four Rings A6sport's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A8L, A7plus stage II A6 PES SC, A5 APR stage III, TT APR stage I

Quote Originally Posted by vrod View Post
    Hey guys,

Looking to retrofit the Bang & Olufsen system to my S6 Avant. I have looked at a lot of wiring diagrams but am puzzled about the amplifiers. It seems like Pre-Facelift uses 2 amplifiers, whereas Facelift uses one (mine is a Facelift).

Would someone be able to let me know whether they have one or two amps, if itís a Facelift or not and from which region they are?

It would help me a lot to make a final adapter between the BOSE plugs and Bang & Olufsen amps. :)

Thank you!
    Chris
    PM sent.
    2012 A7Plus Stage II+
    2013 A8L
    2010 A5 2.0T k04 Stage III
    2002 TT 225 Roadster APR Stage I
    1998 A6 2.8 PES SC

Senior Member Three Rings 1flossedS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Not trying to rain on a parade here, but aren't the amps like $2k a piece? Seems you could put aftermarket stuff in that would be better for far cheaper.

AZ Member #

Double post.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I got an entire set today for 1750Ä. This is from the pre-facelift but the seller has fitted the exact same type of system to his facelift A6. :)

Established Member Two Rings Vinng86's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 1flossedS4 View Post
    Not trying to rain on a parade here, but aren't the amps like $2k a piece? Seems you could put aftermarket stuff in that would be better for far cheaper.
    It's a $6500 CAD option from the dealer so that sounds about right
    2014 Audi A6 3.0T Technik(Prestige) S-line w/ Black Optics

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RS6

Here is a pic of the B&O amp in my C7.5 RS6 Avant.

There is another module behind it - hard to get a pic of it though but you can see the cables going into it in the below pics.

AZ Member #

B+O system only has 1 amp right?

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

1flossedS4 - Pre-Facelift has 2 Amps, Facelift has 1 Amp. :)

Thanks to all of you guys' help so far! Started this saturday but not done yet.

Honestly, I am a terrible person when it comes to documenting installations with I retrofit stuff... I don't know about you guys, but I just forget it in the process of installing. I have made some though, although not all of them are really that good. :D

I had a friend helping me out, we started off with him removing the interior trims in the left side of the car. I changed the pinouts on the AMP plug to the B&O type, messing around with these small connectors is really a PITA!

- We pulled 2 cables to the additional center tweeter. Here, if you have a Head-Up display (like I have), it can be a big challenge. We had to remove the cluster in order to find a path for the wires. Without a Head-Up, perhaps it's possible to pull the wire behind the cluster. We had to solder on the cable ends to the tweeter, no plugs. Cables for existing center speaker can be re-used for the new center-speaker
    - We also pulled 3 cables (0,5mm2) to the left front tweeter, as these are needed for the motors that raises and lowers the tweeter. You need a new 5-pin plug as well: 8R0973605. Simply pull out the 2 connectors from the old plug and put them into the new plug according to wiring diagram. Then add the 3 additional wires for the motor.
    - 2 cables were pulled for the left front door (BOSE has 0,75mm2 cables, B&O needs 1mm2 cables). Luckily the doors themselves has the correct 1mm2 wire, so you only need to pull it to the door plug. Here you also need to "fusion the 2x 2-pin plugs together into a 4-pin plug: 1j0972704
    - 2 cables were pulled for the left rear door (BOSE has only one 1,5mm2 going to both speakers, B&O needs an additional 1mm2 for the middletone speaker). Here it also needs to be pulled from the door plug to the speaker itself inside the door. However, you can re-use the existing plug from the Bose-middletone for the new B&O. We took the old connectors out of the plug, wrapped them in electrical tape together with the existing cables. Then we used the plug on the new connectors.
    - Left rear D-Pillar speaker was swapped for B&O, here we did not need to make any changes to wiring or plug.

Still some ways ahead. Kinda started out a little idiotic as we completely missed out on getting connectors, the right tools and proper amount of cabling. However, I don't mind spending hours in a well-heated garage with some good company :D

Photos are located here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xz?usp=sharing

This project is def. the hardest one I've done so far. We are not even done with the left side yet and the right side is still to go. I understand though why we need new wires in many places. Just overall, looking at the speaker, the B&O seem to be build from a much better quality than BOSE, the size of the speakers and the weight as well. The covers for the doors themselves almost make it worth it. :D I got all of this for 2250Ä, excluding coca cola and wires. Since we have pretty much ripped the interior wide open, we are also putting cables in for the Nightvision-Assistant and Comfort/Massage seats that will be retrofitted at a later time.

I will keep the Google drive folder up-to-date with the photos and write another reply to this topic once we have come further.

AZ Member #

Wonder why they went from 2 amps to 1...

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I am not exactly sure. To me though, it looks like the 1 Amp solution is actually just the 2 Amps clammed into the same housing. The pinouts are different of course but the amount of cables needed are exactly the same. The speakers are also exactly the same. Since I have a facelift, I am not 100% that they will work, but according to the seller who retrofitted such a set himself on his Facelift avant, it should work.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by vrod View Post
    I am not exactly sure. To me though, it looks like the 1 Amp solution is actually just the 2 Amps clammed into the same housing. The pinouts are different of course but the amount of cables needed are exactly the same. The speakers are also exactly the same. Since I have a facelift, I am not 100% that they will work, but according to the seller who retrofitted such a set himself on his Facelift avant, it should work.
    I'm non facelift, reason I ask is you seem to be an audiphile and I'm having this exact issue with my RS7 I bought a couple months back. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...g-out-2905996/

Scheduled to go in to Audi in two weeks and I don't want them telling me there is no problem. Seems my amp needs replacement. Happy I bought the 4 year Audi VSC Platinum warranty now lol