Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Big Turbo Q's

  1. #1
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Mar 20 2019
    AZ Member #
    465947
    Location
    NY

    Big Turbo Q's

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello all, im about to go big turbo with my 05 A4 1.8t and i have a couple questions im hoping some of you whom have more experience with this type of thing. My main questions pertain to the PCV/SAI system. Ive been looking thru some of the threads on here and havent really found the answer im looking for. With going BT, ive read its beneficial to delete both of these systems. Looking into a catch can set up to take care of the PCV, and an SAI delete kit. Im having trouble finding a SAI complete delete kit, so im not really sure how to go about that. I found a DIY kit on here, but was wondering if theres someplace that i can just purchase a kit and have everything in one so i know its correct. Also, deleting these systems will throw a light, ive seen some resistors that are advertised to take care of this, but wondering if anyone has use them and how they work. Last thing, with going BT, ive read that a hemi throttle body will help on the intake side of things. Does it really make enough of a difference to go to a slightly bigger throttle body? Obviously i know going bigger will allow more air to pass more easily, just wondering peoples thoughts about this. Also, the thought of doing a 2.0L stroker kit has crossed my mind, would love to hear some of your opinions on this as well.

  2. #2
    Registered Member Four Rings EuroxS4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 24 2010
    AZ Member #
    53856
    My Garage
    2003 Atlas Grey A4 Avant 1.8T 6speed manual quattro,2002 GSXR 600
    Location
    Paramus,NJ USA

    2 liter stroker is not worth the money in my opinion. Way too much money to go the stroker route. As far as throttle body goes it depends on what your goals are. You dont need a hemi throttle body, you could if you want but in my opinion you'll get better performance with a 75mm unit from a vr6. As far as kits go I would look at pag parts,cts turbo, atp just to name a few. Not sure what else is out there as I sourced everything myself as I knew what I wanted and what would work for me.
    VW/Audi Immobilizer removal and immobilizer adapting solutions for any and all VAG Vehicles,Odometer matching, SKC/Pin retrieval services.Located in Northern NJ.For inquries pm for details.

  3. #3
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Mar 20 2019
    AZ Member #
    465947
    Location
    NY

    My goals are around 450-500whp. Im debating between a pagparts kit and a cts turbo kit. The pagparts comes with the percision 5558e and the cts kit id opt for the gtx3071r. What about the SAI/PCV systems? did you keep them on your build or delete them? I feel like deleting will create more space and eliminate any potential issues due to these systems, but this is my daily driver so i need a reliable set up. Will a throttle body off a VR6 actually make that much of a difference as compared to the stock one when it comes to numbers and power? Eventually im going to build the head and get a performance intake, but for now i think im going to keep the stock. My main concern is the PCV/SAI system as any VAG fan knows theyre pretty crappy and usually cause more problems then actually do their job.

  4. #4
    Veteran Member Four Rings jjvwg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 01 2012
    AZ Member #
    86019
    My Garage
    2004 A4 Avant
    Location
    CO

    All you need for the SAI delete is a block off plate for the back of the head where the kombi-valve was. If your tuner knows what they are doing, they can code it out and have it still set readiness and not need resistors.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    | 2004 A4 Avant | Gloss Dark Grey |
    | 2.7t K04 swap | 034 RSB | Apikol snub | 17z BBK |Vogtland GT1 Coilovers | Moog adj. UCA's | Peeler reps |

    | 2011 A4 Avant | Brilliant Black | Vogtland Coilovers | RSE's | 034 Sway/tranny mount | Q5 brakes |

  5. #5
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Mar 20 2019
    AZ Member #
    465947
    Location
    NY

    Quote Originally Posted by jjvwg View Post
    All you need for the SAI delete is a block off plate for the back of the head where the kombi-valve was. If your tuner knows what they are doing, they can code it out and have it still set readiness and not need resistors.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is this the same for the PCV as far as tuning it out is concerned

  6. #6
    Registered Member Four Rings EuroxS4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 24 2010
    AZ Member #
    53856
    My Garage
    2003 Atlas Grey A4 Avant 1.8T 6speed manual quattro,2002 GSXR 600
    Location
    Paramus,NJ USA

    Quote Originally Posted by JC390 View Post
    My goals are around 450-500whp. Im debating between a pagparts kit and a cts turbo kit. The pagparts comes with the percision 5558e and the cts kit id opt for the gtx3071r. What about the SAI/PCV systems? did you keep them on your build or delete them? I feel like deleting will create more space and eliminate any potential issues due to these systems, but this is my daily driver so i need a reliable set up. Will a throttle body off a VR6 actually make that much of a difference as compared to the stock one when it comes to numbers and power? Eventually im going to build the head and get a performance intake, but for now i think im going to keep the stock. My main concern is the PCV/SAI system as any VAG fan knows theyre pretty crappy and usually cause more problems then actually do their job.
    If those are your goals then I wouldnt go any bigger than a 75mm TB. But with a small port head I would image you'll be around 400whp. You want a big port head and some cams or NA cams from a european 1.8T SAI Is simple to code out just set MSLUB to all 0's. PCV system there isnt much to code out. Just gets rid of redundancy check valves. I will let you know how it works out when I fire mine up probably in a month or so.
    VW/Audi Immobilizer removal and immobilizer adapting solutions for any and all VAG Vehicles,Odometer matching, SKC/Pin retrieval services.Located in Northern NJ.For inquries pm for details.

  7. #7
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Mar 20 2019
    AZ Member #
    465947
    Location
    NY

    Quote Originally Posted by EuroxS4 View Post
    If those are your goals then I wouldnt go any bigger than a 75mm TB. But with a small port head I would image you'll be around 400whp. You want a big port head and some cams or NA cams from a european 1.8T SAI Is simple to code out just set MSLUB to all 0's. PCV system there isnt much to code out. Just gets rid of redundancy check valves. I will let you know how it works out when I fire mine up probably in a month or so.
    So without going big port head, ill probably be stuck around 400whp based on what youre saying. Should i go with an AEB head with cams, my goal will be achievable?

  8. #8
    Senior Member Three Rings A4-Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 12 2016
    AZ Member #
    374572
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia

    Been running mine for over a year now on my K04 hybrid setup without the SAI, EGR or PCV just a catch can without issue and very reliable, I'm in the middle of having my engine built this is what is getting done.
    Block is getting honed and decked then rods and new rings.
    Head is getting Super tech full valve train kit, Inconel valve spring set,
    inconel exhaust valves,
    ss nitrided intake valves, machined and lapped. I will be running a top mounted GTX2867R Gen2 with a MAFless tune and my tuner said it will see around 250awkw on 28psi and will rev to 8600rpm.
    I also have a walbro 450 and the fuel reg on the rail with a return line to the tank, 4 bar map sensor, a front mount intercooler and a custom dump pipe to a Billyboat Exhaust.

    My catch can on k04 setup and GTX turbo mock up in the photos below._20190516_130120.jpg_20190516_130149.jpg_20190511_110117.jpg_20190511_110133.jpg

    Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Registered Member Four Rings EuroxS4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 24 2010
    AZ Member #
    53856
    My Garage
    2003 Atlas Grey A4 Avant 1.8T 6speed manual quattro,2002 GSXR 600
    Location
    Paramus,NJ USA

    Quote Originally Posted by A4-Mike View Post
    Been running mine for over a year now on my K04 hybrid setup without the SAI, EGR or PCV just a catch can without issue and very reliable, I'm in the middle of having my engine built this is what is getting done.
    Block is getting honed and decked then rods and new rings.
    Head is getting Super tech full valve train kit, Inconel valve spring set,
    inconel exhaust valves,
    ss nitrided intake valves, machined and lapped. I will be running a top mounted GTX2867R Gen2 with a MAFless tune and my tuner said it will see around 250awkw on 28psi and will rev to 8600rpm.
    I also have a walbro 450 and the fuel reg on the rail with a return line to the tank, 4 bar map sensor, a front mount intercooler and a custom dump pipe to a Billyboat Exhaust.

    My catch can on k04 setup and GTX turbo mock up in the photos below._20190516_130120.jpg_20190516_130149.jpg_20190511_110117.jpg_20190511_110133.jpg

    Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk
    Sounds about right. But why only 28pounds? I think the turbo capable of alot more. The 4 bar pressure sensor is not a bad idea but not necessary as the stock sensor limiter can be turned off to prevent the car from going into limp mode at higher boost.
    VW/Audi Immobilizer removal and immobilizer adapting solutions for any and all VAG Vehicles,Odometer matching, SKC/Pin retrieval services.Located in Northern NJ.For inquries pm for details.

  10. #10
    Veteran Member Four Rings gmudan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 03 2009
    AZ Member #
    41995
    My Garage
    A4%20B6/B8
    Location
    Windsor, ON

    I had some major issues with my pcv system when I pulled it out, mainly the oil not draining because too much crankcase pressure. I ended up using a ventri system with my exhaust. I had a morso ventri bung welded in right after my exhaust, thatís routed to a catch can with -10an lines. Then the catch can is connected to the block breather, and valve cover. Pulls decent vacuum, I think it works great.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Three Rings A4-Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 12 2016
    AZ Member #
    374572
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia

    Quote Originally Posted by EuroxS4 View Post
    Sounds about right. But why only 28pounds? I think the turbo capable of alot more. The 4 bar pressure sensor is not a bad idea but not necessary as the stock sensor limiter can be turned off to prevent the car from going into limp mode at higher boost.
    I know these turbos can make more boost but 28psi will suit my build and make it a fun daily

    Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Registered Member Four Rings EuroxS4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 24 2010
    AZ Member #
    53856
    My Garage
    2003 Atlas Grey A4 Avant 1.8T 6speed manual quattro,2002 GSXR 600
    Location
    Paramus,NJ USA

    Quote Originally Posted by A4-Mike View Post
    I know these turbos can make more boost but 28psi will suit my build and make it a fun daily

    Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk
    Ok good to know. Im looking to daily possibly hoping for 35psi+.
    VW/Audi Immobilizer removal and immobilizer adapting solutions for any and all VAG Vehicles,Odometer matching, SKC/Pin retrieval services.Located in Northern NJ.For inquries pm for details.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Three Rings A4-Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 12 2016
    AZ Member #
    374572
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia

    Quote Originally Posted by EuroxS4 View Post
    Ok good to know. Im looking to daily possibly hoping for 35psi+.
    I'm pretty sure that's achievable with these new turbos, I'm sure the Gtx2867r Gen2 is rated for 550hp and 25~45psi

    Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Senior Member Three Rings APC123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 05 2017
    AZ Member #
    392558
    Location
    Wilmington Delaware

    Quote Originally Posted by gmudan View Post
    I had some major issues with my pcv system when I pulled it out, mainly the oil not draining because too much crankcase pressure. I ended up using a ventri system with my exhaust. I had a morso ventri bung welded in right after my exhaust, thatís routed to a catch can with -10an lines. Then the catch can is connected to the block breather, and valve cover. Pulls decent vacuum, I think it works great.
    Where did you get the morso Venturi bung at

  15. #15
    Veteran Member Four Rings gmudan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 03 2009
    AZ Member #
    41995
    My Garage
    A4%20B6/B8
    Location
    Windsor, ON

    Quote Originally Posted by APC123 View Post
    Where did you get the morso Venturi bung at
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-97810

  16. #16
    Veteran Member Three Rings Gin+'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 16 2015
    AZ Member #
    327575
    Location
    CNY Syracuse

    Quote Originally Posted by EuroxS4 View Post
    Ok good to know. Im looking to daily possibly hoping for 35psi+.
    E85 availability would certainly help.
    They're not scared of you. They're scared of what you represent to 'em.



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2019 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.