Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings RAF_S7's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Google Assistant - What can Yours Do? (Without CarPlay/AA)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Im planning on having @Carplay_Audi upgrade my MMI to give me integrated CarPlay and Android Auto, but in the meantime here's something you can do without CarPlay

No offence to Apple users, but this is for Android - tho Im sure you could get this working on Apple if you try...

So I have a Galaxy Note 9 running Android 9.0 ("Pie") and have the following apps installed:

Android Auto
    Google Assistant
    Smart Meross

You can also run this on Alexa if you want.

My phone is connected to MMI via BT. There are no changes required to the MMI. You can also set this to run without any connection to your MMI - Just set up Google Assistant on your phone to always listen out for "OK Google" followed by the command. Connection to the MMI allows you to drop the OK Google, and use a long press on the Speak Key as the trigger. You have to disable Bixby in order for Google Assistant to be the default voice engine.

Meross is the name of the device attached to my garage door, and this is what it looks like:

You can Google them for info, and I purchased from Amazon.

And here it is on action....

And yes, this is (unfortunately) a normal sized garage in the UK. My 7 just fits in
    2016 S7 Sepang Blue ///Matrix//Bose//Self Park//Lane Assist//ACC//F&R parking cams//Blackvue DR750//Phone Box//Sunroof//Privacy glass//Carbon mirrors//Neidfaktor Steering wheel//RS Knob//OEM RS Grill//Suntek PPF//De-chromed//Modded Exhaust//Cete ASC v2 installed//APR Stage 1 & TSU//Eventuri CF intake//
    Gone: 2014 Audi A7Q 3.0 TFSI
    Gone: 2011 Audi A6Q 2.8 TFSI

Established Member Three Rings digdah's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I wonder if this could be achieved with IFTTT? I have the Chamberlin app but it wants money to use IFTTT so when I have time I will figure out how to circumvent it.
    2013 S6 | Phantom Black Pearl | Innovation Package | BOSE + JL Audio Micro Sub| Milltek non-resonated catback |APR Stage 1 |Avant Garde M510

AZ Member #

Yes, I have a Chamberlain door opener also.

Chamberlain donít allow any voice integration outside of NA (even though you can buy their products) so as Iím in UK MyQ integration is not an option - I canít even pay for the MyQ subscription.

Iíve had the MyQ app for years, and used to run a custom voice script for Alexa control, till Chamberlain decided to monetise their product.

The Meross device is subscription free. Iím sure there are other devices out there.....

It works on any opener that has a one button type wired controller, and can be Google or Alexa controlled
    2016 S7 Sepang Blue ///Matrix//Bose//Self Park//Lane Assist//ACC//F&R parking cams//Blackvue DR750//Phone Box//Sunroof//Privacy glass//Carbon mirrors//Neidfaktor Steering wheel//RS Knob//OEM RS Grill//Suntek PPF//De-chromed//Modded Exhaust//Cete ASC v2 installed//APR Stage 1 & TSU//Eventuri CF intake//

Established Member Two Rings infinitereality's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Superlite Coupe (SLC), Hayabusa, CRF50

Never thought about this, but I dig it. I have SmartThings which controls my z-wave garage door opener add-on (GoControl/Linear brand). I can definitely setup IFTTT to operate via Google Home, don't see why I couldn't do the same with Assistant.

Off to add it to IFTTT. Least it'd make opening the garage easier, my normal Genie garage door opener doesn't like the S7, you have to hit the button at a certain place when pulling out/in my driveway. If you miss the area, you have to pull visor down a bit for it to work.
    2017 Grigio Telesto Superlite Coupe (SLC)
    - 525HP Crate LS3 & Graziano Transaxle
    - 19"/20" Forgestar F14s, Full Carbon Fiber Interior, Brembos
    2014 Audi S7 - Avery Dark Gray Wrap
    - 21"x10" ADV.1 Track Spec ADV510 Bronze/Black Wheels & RS7 Bumper/Grill
    - APR Stage 1, Roc-Euro Intake, Deleted Mufflers, FL Taillights, JL Sub/Amp In OEM Enclosure
    - Carbon Fiber Diffuser, Splitter, Mirrors, Interior Trim, Paddles, Shifter Knob

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Well dang... I don't see a SmartThings option to open/close a garage door. There may be a SmartApp inside ST that may allow me to do it, will have to dig around when I get time.
    - APR Stage 1, Roc-Euro Intake, Deleted Mufflers, FL Taillights, JL Sub/Amp In OEM Enclosure
    - Carbon Fiber Diffuser, Splitter, Mirrors, Interior Trim, Paddles, Shifter Knob

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by infinitereality View Post
    Well dang... I don't see a SmartThings option to open/close a garage door. There may be a SmartApp inside ST that may allow me to do it, will have to dig around when I get time.
    There is no MyQ option within SmartThings, so Iíd be inclined to look outside of ST. SmartThings will not allow voice control of a lock device - I have Yale connected locks which I can access remotely, but I canít seem to get any voice control over them

Canít you find a Google device to add into Assistant for your opener add-on device?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RAF_S7 View Post
    There is no MyQ option within SmartThings, so Iíd be inclined to look outside of ST. SmartThings will not allow voice control of a lock device - I have Yale connected locks which I can access remotely, but I canít seem to get any voice control over them

Canít you find a Google device to add into Assistant for your opener add-on device?
    I don't have MyQ, I am using GoControl/Linear z-wave controller that piggybacks my Genie to open/close.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M75TEIU/

Works perfectly through ST, just need to find a way to associate it using Assistant. IFTTT will allow ST to control my Kwikset z-wave door lock though, just no luck on IFTTT for the garage door controller. :(

I'll dig around, hopefully there's a SmartApp through ST that would allow it.