Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings dmode951's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Is it worth to make a 01' B5 1.8T FWD into a build ???

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Is it worth it to turn a FWD into a Build ?
    Last edited by dmode951; 05-13-2019 at 12:49 PM.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

IMO, not past F21. My old '98.5 A4 was FWD and I went to a FrankenTurbo F4-H. It could spin the front tires through first. Also coming out of corners it could readily spin the inside tire. BUT going through corners off-power was nice due to less mass (it felt more nimble).

My overall thought: Keep it a [tuned] K03 car and make it a reliable driver.
    2001.5 S4 Avant: Motoza E85 Stage 1+, SSAC HFC DPs + Borla 3" catback, APR bipipe, AWE SMICs, DW300 fuel pump, TTV FW + B7 RS4 clutch, JHM shifter, metal clutch slave + SS line, 2.0T coils, lowered, Aero wipers, SS brake lines, receiving lots of love ($$$)

2001 Corvette (C5) Z06: just getting started

2001.5 A4 1.8TQM: gone and missed. Parting out.

AZ Member #

So pretty much a fwd is just a reliable day to day driver.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by dmode951 View Post
    So pretty much a fwd is just a reliable day to day driver.
    Pretty much, IMO. It has less moving parts which generally will make it more reliable than a Quattro. Being in SoCal means less need for Quattro, unless you visit the mountains often (with snow on the roads).

I kept my FWD B5 for about 4.5 years, it served me well. Then I switched over to a Quattro B5 A4, added more power, etc.
    2001.5 S4 Avant: Motoza E85 Stage 1+, SSAC HFC DPs + Borla 3" catback, APR bipipe, AWE SMICs, DW300 fuel pump, TTV FW + B7 RS4 clutch, JHM shifter, metal clutch slave + SS line, 2.0T coils, lowered, Aero wipers, SS brake lines, receiving lots of love ($$$)

Veteran Member Four Rings A1 A2 German's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4 B5, Audi Fox, Audi AMLS TT, GS450, CB175, CL175

*Cough

To put in perspective, thee fastest A4 B5's to ever exist were.......Fronttrak....in which Fronttraks held the record.
    Till a Quattro edged it out by a ~thousandths....and given more real estate, would of lost as FT's trap higher speeds. So all things considered, run the same times. What a Quattro gains in the 60, loses in the trap while FT's reel them in.

You're in Riverside, I'm in Phoenix, dam skippy gonna build up my FT....yet Michigan, Maine, Minnesota, that'd be a
    no.

One consideration if doing a build is strap limiters (call it $100 total for the front), which will prevent front end lift, cutting down wheel spin. All things considered, at 350HP w/o straps...taking down rwd M3's, Boss 302's, G37's wasn't an issue off the line...wheel spin? Yes, but you'll hook and go.

Gt2871r Eliminator with a tubular manifold on Fronttrak......with no powertrain loss spinning the rear, it was instant on power, lighting reaction from idle to 8k redline, shift gears repeat 100% useable powerband.

One thing to consider, from a roll costing as say 40mph, is the ability to leap frog 2 car lengths ahead of opponents even being large hp pony cars. For the half Mississippi @ wot for them to reach their ~6500 rpm sweetspot....you're 20ft upfront snap of a finger, as well able to hold most off as at that point you have less drivetrain loss, as well weight less, and in my case, a full spread powerband with no boost taper.

In Mexico, of course.
    Having a bucket that runs 10's is like saying you have a 200lb girlfriend but she's good in bed.

AZ Member #

Good looking out.
    I had a Honda built up in the past, had that stolen. ( shit heads )
    Now I have this 1.8T FWD looks so sexy. Just figured if my Honda was quick this one should be a lot more fun.
    I do like AWD for the traction but you are right I'm in Cali the sunshine state. Not really any need of a AWD here.
    Thanks

Established Member Four Rings Blazius's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Yes.

2000 B5 A4 Avant FWD Manual - S Line - Sport package

N/A ARG bottom end, AEB Head & other stuff | t3/t4 turbo conversion IN Progress - https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...rbo-Conversion

AZ Member #

cool.
    I'll start building my little by little. Not in no hurry it's my weekend cruz car.

Senior Member Four Rings Mattr567's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I have been slowly building my B5 fwd for about 4 years now (my first car I bought when I was 15). People have hated on it but it's been an amazing car for me. Dropping in an FT kit after the semester ends.

Quote Originally Posted by A1 A2 German View Post
    One consideration if doing a build is strap limiters (call it $100 total for the front), which will prevent front end lift, cutting down wheel spin.
    Out of curiosity, how do such straps affect handling? Don't think I'll need them for 280chp?
    The most base A4 in the world

99.0 B5 A4 1.8TMS
    APR 91|Forge|APR Catback|034 HFC|Valeo SMF|Bilstein B8|Eibach|Neuspeed RSB|ECS N75|AP Racing BBK|034 Snub|OEM Strut Bar|FL Ebay SS|JHM Shift|2.0T Coils|BF SMIC|S4 Oil Cooler
    BBS|Podi|AEM|DDM|OEM RS4 Grille|Euro Stuff|Facelift stuff|Sport Cloths

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Set up a camera and wot @ a dig and you'll see body lift (fender gap increase). What transpires is the torque temporarily driving the unibody up in the air, taking weight off the tires, inturn losing all traction....till the car settles. The straps prevent the car being thrust in the air, keeping weight down on the tires allowing for grip.

They'd help all fwd vehicles.

As for handling (turns) they'd help with body roll...as your car isn't able to pitch all the way over leveling out the body. However FT, I'm doing them in the rear (so get even anti-body roll) as well....when you jack up the car the tire/wheel stays put so only need to lift the car up 1".

Yep...because the suspension is not permitted to sag....so your car still looks slammed/lowered...even in the air.
    Last edited by A1 A2 German; 05-14-2019 at 05:03 PM.
    Having a bucket that runs 10's is like saying you have a 200lb girlfriend but she's good in bed.

AZ Member #

Set up a camera and wot @ a dig and you'll see body lift (fender gap increase). What transpires is the torque temporarily driving the unibody up in the air, taking weight off the tires, inturn losing all traction....till the car settles. The straps prevent the car being thrust in the air, keeping weight down on the tires allowing for grip.

They'd help all fwd vehicles.

As for handling (turns) they'd help with body roll...as your car isn't able to pitch all the way over leveling out the body. However FT, I'm doing them in the rear (so get even anti-body roll) as well....when you jack up the car the tire/wheel stays put so only need to lift the car up 1".

Yep...because the suspension is not permitted to sag....so your car still looks slammed/lowered...even in the air.
    What kind of straps , I never heard of anything like that before. I am interested.

N/A ARG bottom end, AEB Head & other stuff | t3/t4 turbo conversion IN Progress - https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...rbo-Conversion

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Mine are ProComp 11" (11" is the length)

You can go with any brand, you need to get an adjustable clevis which is that top long threaded piece with 2 nuts...some straps include them:

Pic of clevis: https://www.motorcycleid.com/speedst...833542371.html

Pic of a strap: https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/LIMIT.html

The combine together, bottom of strap I bolted to coil over bolt, top of clevis is anchored to top of car via a bracket.

AZ Member #

-snip-
    Interesting. I was worried it was going to worsen handling, as it would be more of a drag racing type thing etc.

Have any other fwd B5 handling tricks? Ever thought about a Quaife?

99.0 B5 A4 1.8TMS
    APR 91|Forge|APR Catback|034 HFC|Valeo SMF|Bilstein B8|Eibach|Neuspeed RSB|ECS N75|AP Racing BBK|034 Snub|OEM Strut Bar|FL Ebay SS|JHM Shift|2.0T Coils|BF SMIC|S4 Oil Cooler

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Rear:

-PureMS trailing arm bushings
    -Replace the oversized zip tie on the trailing arm that's probably broken like mine 10 years ago, and/or stretched out.
    - Neuspeed rear sway bar...considered your not just doing a upgrade...but the fact the car doesn't even have one to even begin with so "just having one" makes a difference.

Quaife

I'm now a A4 B7 GTX 6 speed, we'll see how that goes, not sure they're available (for the rear yes, front front is another story).

AZ Member #

Rear:

-Replace the oversized zip tie on the trailing arm that's probably broken like mine 10 years ago, and/or stretched out.
    - Neuspeed rear sway bar...considered your not just doing a upgrade...but the fact the car doesn't even have one to even begin with so "just having one" makes a difference.

Quaife

I'm now a A4 B7 GTX 6 speed, we'll see how that goes, not sure they're available (for the rear yes, front front is another story).
    Link to trailing arm bushings? You mean the beam bushing? What zip tie?

Have that Neuspeed rsb and it's awesome.

There is a quaife lsd for the 01X, just like 012. https://shop.quaife.co.uk/porsche-bo...speed-audi-01x

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Audizine mobile app

99.0 B5 A4 1.8TMS

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Powerflex Bushing (not PureMs) : https://www.urotuning.com/products/pfr3-214x2

Zip tie, yours probably feel off, it helps control camber/toe. https://www.google.com/search?q=audi...-AzFQLzOi-sLaM

You to install and set it, there's a procedure for it

I'm not 01X, I'm GTX from a 2008 B7.

AZ Member #

Great info guys.

AZ Member #

"Large zip tie" from Bentley:
    large-zip-tie.png

When I replaced it, I used a large zip tie. If I recall correctly, this strap effectively sets rear toe.

AZ Member #

Powerflex Bushing (not PureMs) : https://www.urotuning.com/products/pfr3-214x2

Zip tie, yours probably feel off, it helps control camber/toe. https://www.google.com/search?q=audi...-AzFQLzOi-sLaM

You to install and set it, there's a procedure for it

I'm not 01X, I'm GTX from a 2008 B7.
    Ah, so indeed the beam bushings, we just used different terms for the same thing haha. Did you notice any additional NVH with the poly? Mines original, but the original owner (who was the PO) drove the thing super gently and besides looking a little dry, they aren't worn out yet. Probably the same for the subframe bushings. Was thinking ill do a chassis bushing refresh @ 200k. 147k currently.

And TIL 08's have a different trans than every other 6spd fwd B7. My brother's car is a fwd 08 and has the GTX then. Any major differences from the 01X?

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan View Post
    "Large zip tie" from Bentley:
    large-zip-tie.png

When I replaced it, I used a large zip tie. If I recall correctly, this strap effectively sets rear toe.
    Ah, ill have to check and see if I still have mine. My alignment on one side was a little off IIRC, possibly thought at the time a slightly bent stub axle was the culprit.

99.0 B5 A4 1.8TMS

AZ Member #

The name of thing is "Holding strap" part number 8d0 511 321 a. Unfortunately it is no longer manufactured.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Jim Ellis $13.50

If not following the below link, be careful when looking for anything pertaining to "rear beam axle strap" as there are straps for the axle...but to retain or hold lines, wires and look similar.

This is it:
    8D0511321A - Audi Retaining strap. HOLD DOWN STRAP | Jim Ellis Audi Parts, Atlanta GA
    https://www.jimellisaudiparts.com/pr...D0511321A.html

AZ Member #

Jim Ellis $13.50

If not following the below link, be careful when looking for anything pertaining to "rear beam axle strap" as there are straps for the axle...but to retain or hold lines, wires and look similar.

This is it:
    8D0511321A - Audi Retaining strap. HOLD DOWN STRAP | Jim Ellis Audi Parts, Atlanta GA
    https://www.jimellisaudiparts.com/pr...D0511321A.html
    Europe :P.

AZ Member #

Mine has a strap broke in the rear by the gas tank.
    I believe it's the same one.
    The owner before didn't take care of her. He even bent all the rims driving it.
    It needs a lot of TLC.
    I'm going to start the build with the suspension after I get the oil pan gasket changed out. It's leaking, not a lot but is making a mess.
    The suspension squeaks when you push down on the finders on both sides.
    Also going to install lowering springs and struts after replacing the suspension and roll the fenders.
    Sitting on 18 x 8.5
    Last edited by dmode951; 05-15-2019 at 01:44 PM.

AZ Member #

Just a heads up, the AWM (2001 1.8T engine) only uses sealant between oil pan and engine block. Also the subframe needs to be lowered a bit (with engine supported from above) in order to make enough clearance to remove the oil pan.
    This is a commonly-recommended sealant for the oil pan:
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-victor-r.../d176404a2~vr/

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan View Post
    Just a heads up, the AWM (2001 1.8T engine) only uses sealant between oil pan and engine block. Also the subframe needs to be lowered a bit (with engine supported from above) in order to make enough clearance to remove the oil pan.
    This is a commonly-recommended sealant for the oil pan:
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-victor-r.../d176404a2~vr/
    yes I have that its very very good.

AZ Member #

My oil pans never been off, ever

Goes to show how consistent oil changes since day 1 make all the difference (PO was original owner!)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Audizine mobile app

99.0 B5 A4 1.8TMS

AZ Member #

Good looking out.
    This one is in a mess. This Audi had no love giving to it. I was ran really,really hard and put away beat.
    This car was so messed up that they even took out the back door motor for the window on one sides and disconnected the other side then zipped tide them both shut.
    20190515_163329_HDR.jpg20190515_163405_HDR.jpg
    Damn crack heads

I'm new to Audi's and there are why different than the regular and classic cars I'm used to working on.
    They are more fun to work on, they actually make you think and figure things out in order to be fixed.
    Last edited by dmode951; 05-16-2019 at 11:46 AM.

AZ Member #

I want to get a new front bumper without the headlight cleaner holes. What would be a good replacement and more importantly what would fit ?
    It's a 01'.

AZ Member #

I jack the transmission up then loosen all the subframe bolts and take off the drivers side entire component holding the sway bar on. Pull it out, then pry with a pry bar on the transmission that pokes out a bit from the starter. It's a pain. Unless it's different for fwd... Idk. But my way saves a lot of time if you just go for it.

I guess I'll also interject about putting a bigger turbo on fwd.. I wouldn't. Personally. Like it was said before "fwd is for dailys". I'd like one to have to drive while my awd is dead for whatever reason...

That zip tie idea is actually pretty good. I've always just left vice grips clamped till I got a new green window deal... Unless they snipped the steel wires running on the motor....?

AZ Member #

About the oil pan gasket. I'm going to have my bud crank the the engine until I see the bolt and go from there, that would easier for me.

I'm not going to upgrade the motor just yet. But I have friends that FWD that have taken out Audi's, porch, BMW, any many others.
    They can run in the 10's and some even high nine with timing the light exactly.
    I honestly just want it have a little more power so I can feel it but not race worthy just yet, just enough to feel it.

I do have a Question
    For some reason I feel like it's loosing power.
    When I take off it feels like its dragging and the power doesn't kick in.
    And when I hit the high way I can feel the boost kick in around 50 to 60 mph. I know something is very off.

I'm thinking a vacuum leak. not really sure.
    Any suggestion would help.

Thank you for the input

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Rear:

Quaife

Back in the day, I scored the Autotech hollow front and rear bars on sale. They're light and really effective. I think Autotech still sells the rear bar. Whatever you do, don't use the the various bars that stiffen the center section (Shine, O-Bar, etc). That effectively transfers more of the "flex" into the outer arms (given the same amount of wheel travel). You'll end up with more toe-out during cornering. Great for autocross, but downright dangerous at high speed.