Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings rollerton's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Euro to US RNS-e conversion

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Recently got a super nice MK2 RNS-e (for C5 A6/ Allroad) from the UK from a super nice guy. Unit shows up, w/ code install and works fantastic. Of course I have to convert it from Euro to US so it'll read the maps. I helped a friend several years ago with this, and following tutorials it went easy, first try it updated and I figured that's how easy it always is.

This unit is a xxx 192P and the maps I have I believe are the most recent 2016 version. Just got the maps yesterday, I go try and refresh myself on how to convert it/ update the SW.
    So, I go find the 5 edited files, burn them to disc. Use engineering mode to get the info for comparison if I need. Go to Adaptations 097, change to 1 'downgrade SW', put my disc in and the screen says 'software update 0110 I think, but then just sits there. I hit NAV, it says insert maps disc.

I assume it's the problem with the disc burning speed/ format; that's the most common problem? I burn the files to several other CD-r's and get the same result. Problem now is I can't even comm with the Nav unit. I can connect, but it errors and 'too many communications errors to continue' . So now I can't do shit. Can't get into adaptations to put into downgrade mode now.

What have I done and how?
    Can I recover this?

FWIW it still works perfectly, no problems; just can't complete the US conversion.
    foley803 : What does an electrical surge sound like? Barking dogs? Watermelons?

Veteran Member Four Rings PNW Avant's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 A4 Avant

the MK2 conversion is different from the Mk1 conversion, I believe. I am confused because you mentioned its a mk2 unit, but that the unit label is XXX 192 P. That doesnt correspond to Mk2?
    Hers: 2014 SQ5 Premium Plus
    Mine: 2008 Ibis White Ti S-line A4 Avant 2.0T 6MT
    Black Alcantara S4 Recaros | RS4 Grill | S4 Mirrors | JHM Short Shifter | RNS-e + OEM BT | BBS CH reps | KW V2 | F+R S4 Brakes | RS4 Sway Bar + 034 End Links | APR Stage 1 Tune | JHM Downpipe | B7 S4 Exhaust | Apikol Snub + Differential Mount | 034 Street Density Motor + Trans Mounts

Past: 2004 Arctic White S4 Avant

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by PNW Avant View Post
    the MK2 conversion is different from the Mk1 conversion, I believe. I am confused because you mentioned its a mk2 unit, but that the unit label is XXX 192 P. That doesnt correspond to Mk2?
    I don't really know the breakdown by part#, I thought 192P was Mk2; it's from production date 05'. Kind of pointless at right now, I have no idea what happened or how or why. I've talked to a couple people who KNOW this stuff and they can't explain it. 3rd disc I burned it flat out didn't read, so I re-inserted the 1st disc and got the 'software update disc 0110' on the display, I hit the NAV button, after 20-30 seconds it said 'insert navigation maps CD' ...which I knew means it failed. Removed the disc and from that point I can NOT communicate with the head unit. It connects and glitches for about 90 seconds then fails.
    Nothing I do seems to have any effect whatsoever.
    Some of the text in the stored radio stations is garbled too; it ain't right.

Advice I've gotten is to see if anyone has the GUI version of VIMhack and there's a simple 'convert to US' function that might work. It functions 100% fine aside from this issue.

Anyone know where I can get the 'easy' version of VIMhack? I can only find very old links and they're all dead. Though, not entirely sure that's even helpful if I can't get into adaptations.

Veteran Member Four Rings PNW Avant's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 A4 Avant

Mk2 units are 2009 production dates and newer. They all end in 193.

Sorry I can't help - I know it can be a tricky process to get the units to cooperate sometimes. Try audiforum.us. There are more RNS-e resources over there.
    Hers: 2014 SQ5 Premium Plus
    Mine: 2008 Ibis White Ti S-line A4 Avant 2.0T 6MT
    Black Alcantara S4 Recaros | RS4 Grill | S4 Mirrors | JHM Short Shifter | RNS-e + OEM BT | BBS CH reps | KW V2 | F+R S4 Brakes | RS4 Sway Bar + 034 End Links | APR Stage 1 Tune | JHM Downpipe | B7 S4 Exhaust | Apikol Snub + Differential Mount | 034 Street Density Motor + Trans Mounts

Past: 2004 Arctic White S4 Avant

Senior Member Three Rings evolution2147's Avatar
    AZ Member #

You only need to set the adaptation channel if you are downgrading to a lower software version that what is installed. If you can't get in to downgrade then just change the software versions on your cd's to a higher version than what you have currently installed. If you need help with the CDs let me know cause I just did the same thing about a week ago.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by evolution2147 View Post
    You only need to set the adaptation channel if you are downgrading to a lower software version that what is installed. If you can't get in to downgrade then just change the software versions on your cd's to a higher version than what you have currently installed. If you need help with the CDs let me know cause I just did the same thing about a week ago.
    I think you can't convert it to US w/o triggering the downgrade in adaptatations- since it won't even read a US disc to upgrade/ change software at all until it's converted. At least that's how I understand it?
    I do not know what the problem is- but I got another RNS- from a B6/B7 A4, and I have had the exact same 'too many communication errors to continue' intermittently on Vagcom. I even got a different harness and it does the same thing. I played around with moving/ changing the BOSE pin, heard that can cause it. But didn't seem to change anything.
    Occasionally it's just fine, otherwise I get the error in TWO different head units.