Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

**Upgrading stock SQ5 2019 to aftermarket question**

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello All,

New to the forums. I'm hopefully looking to buy a SQ5 2019/2020.

I just want to know if the sound it better if I go aftermarket? or with the B&O surround.

Also, if I plan to go aftermarket, will I be able to perform crossover's for High, Mids, Lows & the Sub? (with the stock head unit)

Thanks for the help in advance.

I hope to join the Audi club soon :)
    Last edited by shaolinsun; 05-13-2019 at 03:11 PM.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Whether aftermarket will sound better than the B&O or not really depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go.
    White Wagon
    MiniDSP C-DSP 8x12, Alpine PDX-V9 & PDX-F4, a few speakers here and there

Instagram: IDFront

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
    Whether aftermarket will sound better than the B&O or not really depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go.
    If I go aftermarket, will it still be compatible with the stock head unit? I have seen the stock head unit, and the way you adjust your sound is treble & base 1-9. Is crossover capable when doing aftermarket speakers with a the stock head unit, or will that need to be replaced as well?

thanks!

AZ Member #

You can keep the stock head unit, but I suspect you would need something like this https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT860/zen-v.html to be able to add aftermarket amplifiers. Per the information at that link, it will retain all the adjustment at the head unit for bass, treble etc. If you wanted you could put a DSP between that NTV-KIT860 and the amplifiers, you would then have full control over crossovers, EQ, time alignment etc (via the DSP). and really put a great sounding set up in there. Ultimately I think it depends on how much you want to spend, you might find that with the interface above, aftermarket amplifiers and speakers you will be happy. If not, adding a DSP into the mix should not be that difficult, just another expense to think about.

Just to add, there may be a cheaper way to get RCA out from the stock head unit, but in my research a lot of the newer vehicles need some kind of a MOST interface for the fiber optic used in the vehicle. This one for example is only $99 https://avinusa.com/most-fiber-optic...l-a8l-mmi.html but does not work with your SQ5.

Depending where you are in Santa Clara, I think you are not far from Simplicity in Sound based out of Milpitas, might be worth giving them a call to discuss options and pricing on equipment. They do some incredible work.
    White Wagon

AZ Member #

You can keep the stock head unit, but I suspect you would need something like this https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT860/zen-v.html to be able to add aftermarket amplifiers. Per the information at that link, it will retain all the adjustment at the head unit for bass, treble etc. If you wanted you could put a DSP between that NTV-KIT860 and the amplifiers, you would then have full control over crossovers, EQ, time alignment etc (via the DSP). and really put a great sounding set up in there. Ultimately I think it depends on how much you want to spend, you might find that with the interface above, aftermarket amplifiers and speakers you will be happy. If not, adding a DSP into the mix should not be that difficult, just another expense to think about.

Just to add, there may be a cheaper way to get RCA out from the stock head unit, but in my research a lot of the newer vehicles need some kind of a MOST interface for the fiber optic used in the vehicle. This one for example is only $99 https://avinusa.com/most-fiber-optic...l-a8l-mmi.html but does not work with your SQ5.

Depending where you are in Santa Clara, I think you are not far from Simplicity in Sound based out of Milpitas, might be worth giving them a call to discuss options and pricing on equipment. They do some incredible work.

thanks for your input. I currently have a 1997 4runner. I upgraded everything in there 4 years ago. all new speakers, new stereo unit (excelon dds-9903), 5 channel amp, and a 10 inch sub woofer box. spent about 2.3k on it. I went to Audio Design in San Jose.

I'm not a super car tech person, so sorry if I have some questions. The first thing you posted above, that is needed for aftermarket speakers/sub to be paired with head unit right? How will I be able to control the crossovers and EQ? will that kit make it display on the head unit? or it will be a manual configuration?

thanks for your help so far!

AZ Member #

No need to apologise, honestly I'm not that familiar with that unit, but my understanding is the newer Audi head units use fiber optic, that unit I linked takes the fiber connection and converts it so you can use aftermarket amplifiers. If I'm reading correctly, the only crossovers / EQ would be what's in the head unit already (bass, treble, fade) or what would be on any amplifier you decide to use (typically LPF / HPF with limited adjustability).

The only way to get really fine control over crossovers and EQ, would be to also include a DSP.

AZ Member #

No need to apologise, honestly I'm not that familiar with that unit, but my understanding is the newer Audi head units use fiber optic, that unit I linked takes the fiber connection and converts it so you can use aftermarket amplifiers. If I'm reading correctly, the only crossovers / EQ would be what's in the head unit already (bass, treble, fade) or what would be on any amplifier you decide to use (typically LPF / HPF with limited adjustability).

The only way to get really fine control over crossovers and EQ, would be to also include a DSP.
    good to know... would the EQ & crossovers just be manually controlled on the DSP? I would assume you can't set the crossovers via headunit right? even with DSP installed.

Registered Member One Ring Bobby Kinstle's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2019 Subaru Ascent

I just posted a guide to speaker replacements in this forum that should help you out.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by shaolinsun View Post
    good to know... would the EQ & crossovers just be manually controlled on the DSP? I would assume you can't set the crossovers via headunit right? even with DSP installed.
    Right, well, you'd use a laptop to set EQ and crossovers, unless you had something like a JBL MS8 which would set everything via auto tune. You can't set crossovers with the factory head unit, even with a DSP.

AZ Member #

Right, well, you'd use a laptop to set EQ and crossovers, unless you had something like a JBL MS8 which would set everything via auto tune. You can't set crossovers with the factory head unit, even with a DSP.
    Hmmm.. I wouldnt need to go to the shop to do crossover edits right? I only ask because there have been sometimes where my current car my head unit (excelon 9903s) resets the crossover... and i can tell because the sound sounds a bit muddy. I think its because my car is old and sometimes it doesnt start fully, and maybe resets the crossovers.

I wouldnt have an issue having to re-set the crossovers with DSP/laptop in case i go that route with the new car right?
    Last edited by shaolinsun; 05-20-2019 at 10:52 AM.

AZ Member #

No need to go to a shop for it, there would definitely be a learning curve with a DSP, but setting crossovers using one is pretty simple to do. With most you can save a preset that you would have on your laptop and could just re-load the preset if something were to happen to the DSP where it reset things. I have had 5 or 6 different DSP units though and not a single one ever reset like that.
    White Wagon

AZ Member #

No need to go to a shop for it, there would definitely be a learning curve with a DSP, but setting crossovers using one is pretty simple to do. With most you can save a preset that you would have on your laptop and could just re-load the preset if something were to happen to the DSP where it reset things. I have had 5 or 6 different DSP units though and not a single one ever reset like that.
    thanks for all your help so far. Hopefully will be buying my car within the next 2-3 months.

Do you happen to know when the new 2020 lines will release? I heard somewhere they release in September? is this right? if so, Happy Birthday to me :D