Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Audi Allroad

Eurocode F/R Sway Bar Install Cost

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    All, I am having my car serviced by my local dealer at months ago end. I asked them to quote installation of the front and rear sway bars. They quoted $585. Doesn’t that seem excessive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Established Member Two Rings scott in cincy's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Mavfan1 View Post
    All, I am having my car serviced by my local dealer at months ago end. I asked them to quote installation of the front and rear sway bars. They quoted $585. Doesn’t that seem excessive?

That's what I paid, but it also came with a loaner and someone to blame when it wasn't right.
    Scott

2013 S7 | Estoril Blue | Lunar Silver | EPL Stage 2 93 ECU & TCU | AMS Catted DPs | OCarbon Large Weave Carbon Package | Alu Kruez | Eurocode Sways | HRE FF01 10.5" x 4

AZ Member #

I pretty much did the install by myself on a lift, along with installation of their adjustable end links. It took about 6 hrs, without removing the exhaust. If their labor time is ~$100/hr, which seems to be the going rate nowadays, it doesn't seem far off.
    2010 A4 ABP, Premium+, 6MT.

Work | Revo | Snow/USRT | IE | Treadstone | V1 | Eurocode | ECS | Alu Kruez | CR-15 | AfE | Ultra Racing | Audi | Misc

Senior Member Three Rings all_kobiwon's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 A6 Prestige. 2015 allroad prestige.

I paid $200.
    2012 A6 Prestige, Havana Black, EPL Stage 2, LED package, 20" Sports Package. Eurocode Sways, Magnaflow exhaust. Injen cold air intake.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Audi Allroad

Thanks guys. Appreciate the sanity check. While I have a lift in my garage at home, saving time and the convenience of a loaner is more valuable right now.

Veteran Member Four Rings wwhan's Avatar
    AZ Member #

San Jose Audi says, 2.5 hours for rear bar install at $215/hr, so $538 to install just the rear bar.

The front bar is an easy install on Ramps.

The rear bar is a pain....

The issue with stock end links is difficulty in tighting the end link bolts to specified torque value with normal weight on vehicle. If you remove and install the rear bar, with ends links attached to the bar in the correct location, then torquing the lower bolt is easy, but getting the bar in place is a struggle. Taking a wheel off can make this easier.

One can do most of the work on jack stands and final torque of the lower end link bolts with the tires on ramps (if the upper end link bolt was already torqued in the correct position).
    2016 S6 Sport

Established Member Two Rings krwalkman's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by wwhan View Post
    San Jose Audi says, 2.5 hours for rear bar install at $215/hr, so $538 to install just the rear bar.

The front bar is an easy install on Ramps.

The rear bar is a pain....

The issue with stock end links is difficulty in tighting the end link bolts to specified torque value with normal weight on vehicle. If you remove and install the rear bar, with ends links attached to the bar in the correct location, then torquing the lower bolt is easy, but getting the bar in place is a struggle. Taking a wheel off can make this easier.

One can do most of the work on jack stands and final torque of the lower end link bolts with the tires on ramps (if the upper end link bolt was already torqued in the correct position).
    I am Installing both tonight on my A6. I took both OEM ones off yesterday, was not difficult at all. I lowered the exhaust and that was it. I can see how torquing the end link bolt is going to be stupid difficult based on its location, but I'm sure I'll get it. I'll let you guys know if I find an easy way to do anything. I did not remove the wheels to get the rear out, with a bit of finagling I was able to slide it out one side and then the other.
    Moonlight 2012 A6 Prestige,
    APR Stage 1, Injen Intake, Vossen CVT, Eurocode Sway Bars

By Association:
    Monsoon 2014 SQ5 Prestige,
    APR Stage 1, KW H.A.S., Vorsteiner VFF-102

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Mavfan1 View Post
    Thanks guys. Appreciate the sanity check. While I have a lift in my garage at home, saving time and the convenience of a loaner is more valuable right now.

To get both of mine off including the under body panels was maybe an hour total and I am NO mechanic. I'll let you know how long the install takes. I am only doing these things when I get home from work.

By Association:

AZ Member #

Alright, So I was a little wrong. Front Sway bar on lower stiffness, per recommendation on Eurocode, Install was a breeze, maybe 30 minutes to get it on and good to go.

Now the rear was a different animal. Seemed simple at first, got it in above the exhaust and ready to go only to realize that I didn't put one of the end links on at the right angle relative the bar. So instead of taking it all the way back out I loosened it in place and rotated and re-torqued the bolt. Now that was a pain because gripping the nut so it wouldn't turn and then turned the head proved mighty difficult, but I was able to do it with two socket wrenches.

I then REALLY struggled getting everything to fit into place on the firmest setting. I probably worked for an hour alone to get one of the end links re-attached to the lower control arm. The first side wasn't too bad but having to force the other side into position was proving very difficult. A piece of advice would be to not install the bushings on the rear bar until you get the end links reattached, but not torqued down. Then put the bushings and brackets on.

All said and done The total job was probably 5 hours, got finished at 2 am, let the car warm up, and took it for a spin with the new sway bars and drive train inserts. I really like the responsiveness now and honestly, to me, it rides smoother...

Worth the time and effort.

By Association:

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Thanks for posting your install experience, I'll be putting my Eurocode set of bars on this weekend and those tips will come in handy...
    Current Line-Up:
    2015 Audi S6 - RS7 Turbos, "Mike's" Catted Downpipes, SRM Intake, APR ECU & TCU, AMS Cooling System, H&R Module, 20 x 9 et38 & 21lbs each, 15% Ceramic Tint all windows except windshield, Xpel Ultimate (Entire Car)
    2012 VW Golf R - APR in-house build Stage 4
    2002 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster - Big Turbo
    1995 Camaro Z28 6 Speed - Just Bolt-Ons
    2008 Kawaski ZX-10R - Kawi Green