Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Leak on Passenger Side Intake Manifold?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Noticed this on the passenger side of my intake manifold? Is something leaking or a tech spill something on this side?

Are there oil or coolant lines inside the intake manifold? Pics attached

Thanks guys!
    Attached Images

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

they only thing i can think of thats there is the high pressure fuel pump. check the base of the fuel pump and see if it leaking from there and misting the intake mani. other than that i am not sure. you can get a degreaser and clean it off and see if it comes back

AZ Member #

Thanks for the insight.. I thought about that, but the bolts holding that side of the intake manifold farther up from the fuel pump (toward the front bumper) seem to be oily as well.

The one closest to the front bumper is clean up top, but looks like it's got a bit of oily residue below the washer.
    Attached Images

Established Member Four Rings Ape Factory's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RS5/Infiniti QX70S stormtrooper/Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 10th Anniversary

Got your PM. If it were fuel, you'd smell it. It'd be a very obvious odor when you open the hood

You're the original owner of the car? Any chance it could be either leftover cleaning solution or engine "dressing" that dealers often slather over everything to make it shine? Nothing on the valve covers? It's pretty wet in between the two runners.

How many miles on the car? Seems unlikely but the PCV system sucks a lot of oil vapors and I could see them accumulating and leaking past the gasket if there's a sealing issue. But again, that's pretty far out there.

The line which runs in between the valve cover and UIM (upper intake manifold) is electrical. There are a few PCV/Vacuum lines near and behind the throttle body. There's also a few vacuum lines underneath the UIM which sit in the valley. Oil can wick into some strange places and it could be from one of the PCV related lines leaking.

Any performance issues with the car?

I'd clean it as etphonehome suggested. But please make sure it's not fuel. If it is fuel, stop driving the car immediately and tow it to your repair shop of choice.
    Instagram: redmist5 Youtube; https://tinyurl.com/redmistvideos
    2013 Audi RS5 Misano Red-Klassen ID M10/JHM Tune/AWE Exhaust/Eventuri Intake/Bilstein PSS10/H&R Sways/STERN/CR-15//ECS SS Brake Lines/Rear Diff Bushing/ECS rear diff inserts, front end links/034 Motorsports subframe inserts & Rear End Links/Tranny insert/E-code head, tail lights/Maxton splitter/Red Trim Start Button/black emblems/VCDS.

AZ Member #

Leak on Passenger Side Intake Manifolds?

Thanks for the reply, yes Iím the original owner.

No fuel smell. Valve covers and surrounding metal are all bone dry.

Itís been serviced at the dealer (Audicare) since new.

No performance issues, no codes etc.

Maybe a tech spilled oil when filling it during the last oil change and I just noticed it.

Will clean it up and keep an eye on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Last edited by scmguru; 04-16-2019 at 07:58 AM.