Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Nov 24 2018
    AZ Member #
    431810
    Location
    Queens, New York City

    problems at 46k......need advice

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey guys, so my 15 a4 is currently at 46k miles, and I dont know why im running into problems already. Recently got the apr stage 1 tune 2k miles ago, installed new brake pads and rotors and brake lines about 4k miles ago. Here are some of my problems and I am not sure what approach to take towards it, any help is appreciated!!!!

    - Need to step in a good amount for the brakes to kick in, and it feels uneven. When I step on them to a stop, right at the end theres usually a thump of some sound, like it jerks forward a bit. Also, whenever I brake, the rpms run up about 200-300. Theres always some kind of thump or jerk when braking.
    - suspension and steering feels weak and soft, almost anything on road is sensitive and makes the ride bumpy. Whenever I am braking at high speeds, sometimes I dont have good control of the steering and the car swerves a little to the left or right, I would say more than it should. I have been running through pot holes and bumps at high speeds so that might be the culprit, not sure what parts need to be checked. How can I get a more stable sturdy ride thats not so sensitive?

    Thanks again for the help!!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member Four Rings Spawne32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 20 2016
    AZ Member #
    386232
    Location
    NJ

    You would really need to have the suspension looked over for bad tie rods, ball joints and bushings in the front first. Given how complex the front end is, it could be two dozen different things.

  3. #3
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Nov 24 2018
    AZ Member #
    431810
    Location
    Queens, New York City

    Quote Originally Posted by Spawne32 View Post
    You would really need to have the suspension looked over for bad tie rods, ball joints and bushings in the front first. Given how complex the front end is, it could be two dozen different things.
    Yeah I figured, honestly I dont know why the ride is so bumpy and sensitive to every single bump. Im hoping the costs to repair whatever isnt too high

  4. #4
    Active Member Two Rings colorado.a4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 04 2018
    AZ Member #
    432524
    Location
    Denver, CO

    sounds like you should bleed the brakes, if you installed your self maybe you didn’t bleed the brakes throughly. and when when heavy car will downshift and that can be the “feeling” you are feeling, I know my a4 will jerk when it downshifts during decent breaking.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 Audi a4 Quattro | APR stage 1 e85 | k&n typhoon | 034 Motorsport trans mounts | custom straight pipe | Avant Garde m621 19x9.5 in Technica Titantium | custom installed LED light bar | Carbon Imports highkick spoiler | instagram @Colorado.a4 | #quattroculture

  5. #5
    Senior Member Four Rings Spawne32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 20 2016
    AZ Member #
    386232
    Location
    NJ

    Quote Originally Posted by alnoor15 View Post
    Yeah I figured, honestly I dont know why the ride is so bumpy and sensitive to every single bump. Im hoping the costs to repair whatever isnt too high
    Welcome to our world.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Three Rings IHave2Turbos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 17 2015
    AZ Member #
    349509
    Location
    NJ

    could be a vacuum leak if you notice the rpms surging like that. brake booster would not provide full assist.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Mods : HPA\\\ K04 / Manifold / HFC / Tune | CTS FMIC / DP | R8 Coils | CR-15 | ECS Inserts | Rear Muffler Delete
    Retrofits: MMI3G High | Color DIS Swap | MMI Stalks
    Safety : Timing Bomb Removed OUT: 06H109467 IN:06K109467

  7. #7
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Nov 24 2018
    AZ Member #
    431810
    Location
    Queens, New York City

    Quote Originally Posted by colorado.a4 View Post
    sounds like you should bleed the brakes, if you installed your self maybe you didn’t bleed the brakes throughly. and when when heavy car will downshift and that can be the “feeling” you are feeling, I know my a4 will jerk when it downshifts during decent breaking.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I didnt do the brakes myself, I had them installed by a repair shop and they did bleed them, however overall I am questioning if they did a proper job........when I hit my brakes I hear a raspy rattle noise which I know shouldn't be happening. And concerning the downshift, yeah it seems like I am feeling that but it is so annoying becuase when I am constantly braking its always surging a little up and then comes to normal. Well, here goes another couple hundred dollars for repairs smh

  8. #8
    Senior Member Four Rings Theiceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 15 2016
    AZ Member #
    368804
    Location
    Cambridge Ontario

    if its a 15 at only 46K would it not still be under warranty ?
    2014 A4 2.0TQ Technik
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

  9. #9
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Nov 24 2018
    AZ Member #
    431810
    Location
    Queens, New York City

    Quote Originally Posted by Theiceman View Post
    if its a 15 at only 46K would it not still be under warranty ?
    nah, warranty ran out this past January I believe which was a bummer.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Four Rings JeriQo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 08 2015
    AZ Member #
    341165
    Location
    Seattle

    Quote Originally Posted by Spawne32 View Post
    Welcome to our world.
    its dont matter if its a 2009-2017 A4, labor/repair/maintenance cost is the same

    2012 BB A4 P+ S-line Exterior |FBSW RS Paddles/Pedals|CR-15|AFE Filter|ECS inlet|S4 Dual Exhaust|Ace Convex 19x8.5|ECS 10mm rear|Solowerks S1

  11. #11
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Feb 01 2018
    AZ Member #
    413373
    Location
    Massachusetts

    Quote Originally Posted by alnoor15 View Post
    Hey guys, so my 15 a4 is currently at 46k miles, and I dont know why im running into problems already. Recently got the apr stage 1 tune 2k miles ago, installed new brake pads and rotors and brake lines about 4k miles ago. Here are some of my problems and I am not sure what approach to take towards it, any help is appreciated!!!!

    - Need to step in a good amount for the brakes to kick in, and it feels uneven. When I step on them to a stop, right at the end theres usually a thump of some sound, like it jerks forward a bit. Also, whenever I brake, the rpms run up about 200-300. Theres always some kind of thump or jerk when braking.
    - suspension and steering feels weak and soft, almost anything on road is sensitive and makes the ride bumpy. Whenever I am braking at high speeds, sometimes I dont have good control of the steering and the car swerves a little to the left or right, I would say more than it should. I have been running through pot holes and bumps at high speeds so that might be the culprit, not sure what parts need to be checked. How can I get a more stable sturdy ride thats not so sensitive?

    Thanks again for the help!!!
    The kick you feel when you're just about to stop is a transmission issue most likely, I had the same. When it downshifts from 2-1 at around 5-10mph the RPMs would jump about 100-300 revs and there would be a jerk sensation and my body would move forward a bit. I have a 2015 A4. I have taken this to dealer 5 times until they reflashed the transmission with different software. The software helped so its much less noticeable, but you can still feel it. ZF8's are very fickle/rough, but they should work forever.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Four Rings Theiceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 15 2016
    AZ Member #
    368804
    Location
    Cambridge Ontario

    OP didnt even say but you can tell its an automatic.. i had a 2000 A6 with this exact issue so it sounds like its still around all these years later.. i gave away the car as it irritated me..
    2014 A4 2.0TQ Technik
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2019 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.