Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Three Rings trayson's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    98 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2000 Jeep Wrangler (modded for rock crawling), 2005 Kawasaki ZX6R

Non HID Bulbs in headlight housing don't light up. HIDs change Hi vs Low however

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I have a 2009 A6 Avant 3.0T Premium Plus.

I recently had some body shop work done after a minor accident that required replacement of my passenger headlight. While this was being done, I went ahead and bought some Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited bulbs to improve output.

When I picked up the car from the body shop, I noticed that the non HID Bulbs that are in the housing next to the HID units don't light up. I tried headlights on both with and without highbeams selected and the incandescent bulbs don't light up. I can see a difference happening on the HID bulbs between high and low beams.

Honestly I never paid enough attention to know what the car did before the accident. Any insight?
    2009 A6 Avant 3.0T (17" RS3 Reps, 19" Avant Garde M310's, S-line front seats, Premium Plus)
    2002 S6 Avant SOLD.
    1999 A6 Avant (19's, Tint, Grill, HID's) GONE.
    1998 M3 Cabriolet (Hardtop, Vaders, Dinan Stage 5, M50 Mani, Eisenmann Exhaust, UUC Pulley & SSK, Reiger Kit, 19" Axis Pentas)
    2013 F150 Ecoboost, 6" lift, 20" wheels, 35" tires
    2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636 (2 Bros Exhaust, PC3)

Veteran Member Four Rings JPJ2007's Avatar
    AZ Member #

That bulb turns on while driving very slow and turning. Ie, In a parking lot driving around and turning down isles or into a spot type of speed. Maybe even on main roads and making a turn sorta slow?
    It's used for additional light in the direction your turning.

Maybe try that scenario and report back?
    2006 A6 3.2L Quattro S-Line (got my baby back)

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Are you referring to your flash to pass lights? Pull back on the turn signal lever and they'll come on.

Senior Member Three Rings trayson's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    98 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2000 Jeep Wrangler (modded for rock crawling), 2005 Kawasaki ZX6R

The bulb directly next to the hid.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

The halogen bulb on the left is your flash to pass light. It only comes on if you pull back on the turn signal lever. It is actually brighter than most HID high beams on our vehicles.
    2009 A6 Avant Phantom Black Pearl / Amaretto Black Interior BONE STOCK