Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Sedan trailer hitch

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I've been doing some reading into trailer hitch options for my 4.2 sedan but I'm seeing a lot of conflicting information and nothing really definitive. Seems the best choice for an OEM style hitch (not that janky Curt hitch) is from an allroad, I was always under the impression that the allroad has a shorter bumper and the hitch won't fit anything else but I'm seeing people have fit them to S6 avants. They mention that they used an allroad rebar but could likely make an S6 rebar work with some holes drilled. Does this mean I could potentially modify my A6 rebar to fit an allroad hitch? Or are the avant rebars significantly different from the sedan?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    2002 A6 4.2 6spd - beige on beige, totally stock and totally boring

Veteran Member Four Rings rollerton's Avatar
    AZ Member #

The Euro /Allroad /Westy hitch will only fit short bumper / Euro cars in stock configuration- I'm trying to picture the exact reason in my head, but if I remember right it runs into the Rebar/ aluminum bumper support and the drop-mount doesn't have clearance between it and the bumper cover. the US model hitch, usually made by Bosal with the vertical square receiver will fit ANY of them! That's what I had on my S6.
    I at one time had a Westfalia hitch I sourced to the UK and I figured it wouldn't take much to MAKE it work on my newest S6. And sure, it could be done. You'd likely leave off the rebar and do some measuring/ changing of the mounting points on the hitch and it'd probably fit. Probably also have to 'massage' the drop mount to get some more safe clearance to the bumper cover. I sold it when I ended up with a VW Vanagon that has a little hitch I can use if I ever have to. But basically if it has the Euro curvy ball hitch mount then assume it won't fit a US bumper'd car without more work than it's worth. Though it could be done if you got a good deal on a hitch and have a welder.
    foley803 : What does an electrical surge sound like? Barking dogs? Watermelons?

AZ Member #

Thanks for the info, I'm assuming the Bosal hitch is NLA? I was browsing my local LKQ website earlier today and saw a regular avant with a Euro style curved hitch ball mount. Just my luck it was rear ended so the whole thing is bent. Any idea what that could've been? If it fit on an non-allroad avant it would fit on a sedan, no?

Veteran Member Four Rings rollerton's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
    Thanks for the info, I'm assuming the Bosal hitch is NLA? I was browsing my local LKQ website earlier today and saw a regular avant with a Euro style curved hitch ball mount. Just my luck it was rear ended so the whole thing is bent. Any idea what that could've been? If it fit on an non-allroad avant it would fit on a sedan, no?

I'd say if it's on a US car that isn't an Rs6 or Allroad then yeah...whatever it was it'd have to fit. And...if it was an OEM hitch, I'd seriously doubt it's bent unless the car got hit by a semi at 100mph. That hitch would be the most solid structural part of the entire chassis. They are not light or thin. The cross bar is basically 4" steel girder; the whole frame would accordion before that thing would bend! Which is why you could get away with ditching the aluminum rebar. Other than kind of helping the bumper cover possibly feel more solid it would be pointless.
    foley803 : What does an electrical surge sound like? Barking dogs? Watermelons?

AZ Member #

I might just drive down and check it out this weekend, maybe I can find some sort of part number. Whatever hit it, hit it pretty low down and twisted the whole assembly sending the ball halfway into the bumper. Not even a scratch on the hatch but the quarter panels are buckled so it was more than a love tap.