Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring Thatthing's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Great roads in the PNW

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Starting a thread where we can share awesome roads to drive on in the PNW. Pics or map locations are an awesome addition if you've got em. If we're get a good list going we could even plan a meetup where we go hit up a few.

For my contribution I'm recommending the 101 around the Olympic peninsula. The road actually goes all the way down to the PCH and is supposed to be a great drive down. I've only been on the Olympic peninsula portion but it's an awesome day trip, would highly recommend!

Screenshot_20190415-111934.jpeg

2016 Audi S3 monsoon gray metallic

Senior Member Four Rings JeriQo's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Thatthing View Post
    Starting a thread where we can share awesome roads to drive on in the PNW. Pics or map locations are an awesome addition if you've got em. If we're get a good list going we could even plan a meetup where we go hit up a few.

For my contribution I'm recommending the 101 around the Olympic peninsula. The road actually goes all the way down to the PCH and is supposed to be a great drive down. I've only been on the Olympic peninsula portion but it's an awesome day trip, would highly recommend!

Screenshot_20190415-111934.jpeg

thats a mini gumball..

which im totally down for.
    2zero6 has a leavenworth cruise on 4/27 if youre interested.
    2012 BB A4 P+ S-line Exterior |FBSW RS Paddles/Pedals|CR-15|AFE Filter|ECS inlet|S4 Dual Exhaust|Ace Convex 19x8.5|ECS 10mm rear|Solowerks S1

Established Member Two Rings SexualChocolate's Avatar
    AZ Member #

As someone who drives a lot (I mean 40k miles last year alone), there aren't that many. I say that because A) the drivers out here drive insanely slow, B) roads are not well maintained in most areas that a road would be a fun drive, C) most of these roads are popular tourist destinations and are only two lane highways with the occasional passing lane; meaning they are usually congested.

The two roads I find enjoyable and typically less traveled are North Cascades and the Mt Baker Highway. Scenic, fun, windy and not always flooded with tourists. If you want a fun, twisty road, there's a really good section near Goldendale.

Established Member Two Rings Nully's Avatar
    AZ Member #

^ I agree. Here is one: WA-17 by Lenore Lake if you go at the right time.
    Canadian Spec '12 A6 3.0T Quartz Grey, LED, ACC, Side Assist, HUD, Cold Weather, Bose
    Mods: 3G+ Tether, Active Lane Assist, High Beam Assist, Dynamic Mirror & Tail lights, Replica B&O, Aspherical Mirrors, Auto Hold, MMI & Map Update

Established Member Four Rings BeerBrent's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 A4 Avant

When I saw this thread title I assumed it was a sarcastic thread about the crappy roads in the NW. The roads in Portland and Vancouver are terrible. Potholes, bumps, grooves, etc everywhere.
    I'm as cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrent View Post
    When I saw this thread title I assumed it was a sarcastic thread about the crappy roads in the NW. The roads in Portland and Vancouver are terrible. Potholes, bumps, grooves, etc everywhere.
    Very true, but that's kinda the reason for this thread. So we can share that rare hidden gem of a road that's a blast to drive on.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JeriQo View Post
    thats a mini gumball..

which im totally down for.
    2zero6 has a leavenworth cruise on 4/27 if youre interested.
    Yeah that sounds awesome! Only thing, isn't that the opening week for exoticsat?

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Hwy 101 is amazing, but you have to be careful to avoid 'family summer trip time' (August) because you'll be stuck behind campers/trailers/RVs far too often. Hwy 20 is also fun, if it's not too crowded.

Speaking of Leavenworth, the Chumstick Hwy is pretty fun too, but probably not worth missing Tumwater Canyon on a beautiful day.

Veteran Member Four Rings m_haiser's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Highland Green Allroad

hwy 34 is a lot of fun going over the coast range. or the road up to Mary's peak
    It's to the point where all the problems just run together in a spider web of disappointment and mush.
    -CELison

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Thatthing View Post
    Yeah that sounds awesome! Only thing, isn't that the opening week for exoticsat?

yeah but rtc is always gonna be there all summer
    2012 BB A4 P+ S-line Exterior |FBSW RS Paddles/Pedals|CR-15|AFE Filter|ECS inlet|S4 Dual Exhaust|Ace Convex 19x8.5|ECS 10mm rear|Solowerks S1

Senior Member Three Rings mys4.org's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013_S4

HW 202 up to Snoqualmie Falls is fun, but the curves are only a few miles long and it only two lane. You kind of got to back up traffic like a F1 qualifying to have a clean run... Not saying that I haven't done that or anything
    MyS4.org | B8.5 2013 Audi S4 | EPL Stage 2 (Single Pulley) | Solo-Werks Coilovers | Instagram: mys4dotorg

Senior Member Three Rings wangshuo1989's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Drag strip is the best here in PNW, public roads are terrible with countless potholes and drivers that are not paying attention to the road.
    2013 S5 Misano Red, DSG, B&O, Sport Diff, MMI+, CTS 180mm crank pulley (7PK1300 APR belt), APR Stage II, APR TCU tune, CR15, IE CAI
    2018 XC90 Inscription, B&W sound, Convenience Pkg, Air suspension

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by wangshuo1989 View Post
    Drag strip is the best here in PNW, public roads are terrible with countless potholes and drivers that are not paying attention to the road.
    dont let that stop you from enjoying scenic roads we got here.
    drive out and explore

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

My favorite drive here in Idaho is from Boise to Stanley to Sun Valley. I believe itís the 55 to the 17.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by SexualChocolate View Post
    As someone who drives a lot (I mean 40k miles last year alone), there aren't that many. I say that because A) the drivers out here drive insanely slow, B) roads are not well maintained in most areas that a road would be a fun drive, C) most of these roads are popular tourist destinations and are only two lane highways with the occasional passing lane; meaning they are usually congested.

The two roads I find enjoyable and typically less traveled are North Cascades and the Mt Baker Highway. Scenic, fun, windy and not always flooded with tourists. If you want a fun, twisty road, there's a really good section near Goldendale.
    man im only at 37k on my 2012

Veteran Member Four Rings Charles.waite's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by jpaan View Post
    Speaking of Leavenworth, the Chumstick Hwy is pretty fun too, but probably not worth missing Tumwater Canyon on a beautiful day.
    Can confirm, Chumstick is fun, even in a slow car.
    -CP
    2008 Brilliant Black Unicorn (2.0t S-Line Ti 6MT Avant) - R8 V10 Coils and Spark Plugs - AMI retrofit - Mk2 RNS-E
    2012 Q5 2.0t - Stock Mommy Missile with new timing chains
    Former USP CLUB MEMBER #136
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount
    SOLD -- 2006 A4 2.0TQ Avant Tiptronic

Senior Member Three Rings rvcahawaii808's Avatar
    AZ Member #

hwy 219 is decent down in dundee. its slow sometimes because its down in wine country but its pretty twisty and there are a few flat open spots where you can really open it up.

Senior Member Two Rings schusters4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

HWY 97 from I-84 towards ORP is pretty cool. The canyons really echo your exhaust and there is enough twisties to keep you engaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Established Member Two Rings warp_ix's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 Audi RS7

US 197 just south of Maupin is really fun. Plenty of good turns which can be taken at speed.

WA 14 through the Gorge, especially the part from White Salmon to Maryhill.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk