Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

A7 DSG7 0B5 Clutch Slipping and Adaptation Aborting

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi. My 2011 A7 Quattro (86k miles) lost R 2 4 6 gears. Ordered circuit board and valve-body from shenghaiautoparts.com but kept old TCU. The new valve-body came from 2013 model I think. Replaced parts, new internal/external filters, fluid, seal and gearbox worked fine. Except one issue!! On harsh acceleration clutch slips badly. Slippage started only after valve-body & circuit-board replacement. shenghaiautoparts were clear no adaptation is required but for my own sanity I tried doing adaptation with VCDS; however, it keeps failing "aborted for safety reasons". I took it to VW repairer and they too had "aborted" adaptation.

I wonder what am I missing here? Any help, insights, ideas is appreciated.

p.s. thanks for this awesome forum. I've learned a lot here.

Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings Jake@JHM's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MK7-GTI-APR-STG2-Grand-Cherokee-R6-Raven-IRON-1250

Quote Originally Posted by jamievw View Post
    Hi. My 2011 A7 Quattro (86k miles) lost R 2 4 6 gears. Ordered circuit board and valve-body from shenghaiautoparts.com but kept old TCU. The new valve-body came from 2013 model I think. Replaced parts, new internal/external filters, fluid, seal and gearbox worked fine. Except one issue!! On harsh acceleration clutch slips badly. Slippage started only after valve-body & circuit-board replacement. shenghaiautoparts were clear no adaptation is required but for my own sanity I tried doing adaptation with VCDS; however, it keeps failing "aborted for safety reasons". I took it to VW repairer and they too had "aborted" adaptation.

I wonder what am I missing here? Any help, insights, ideas is appreciated.

p.s. thanks for this awesome forum. I've learned a lot here.
    Jamie,

Do you happen to have a full code scan before an after?

Did you replace the gear sensor module? https://jhmotorsports.com/gear-senso...nsmission.html

Given the place you ordered your parts from, I don't believe they are genuine OEM Audi parts, which could also be the problem.

AZ Member #

Thanks Jake. I'll capture before/after full scans today. I assume by "before" it means clearing faults and then full scan, right?

No, gear sensor wasn't touched. It didn't sound like it needs to be replaced given the original issue of losing R 2 4 6. Before replacing valve body and circuit board I had no slippage!

This supplier parts seem rebuilt units. They gave me another set of circuit board which I replaced but no luck. Only if the new valve body has an issue? I really didn't need to replace valve body but I was careless and it slipped from my hand fell down and damaged solenoid!!(duh) I might need to replace solenoid and use original valve body but since it was dropped on concrete I decided to replace it.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Thanks Jake. I'll capture before/after full scans today. I assume by "before" it means clearing faults and then full scan, right?

No, gear sensor wasn't touched. It didn't sound like it needs to be replaced given the original issue of losing R 2 4 6. Before replacing valve body and circuit board I had no slippage!

This supplier parts seem rebuilt units. They gave me another set of circuit board which I replaced but no luck. Only if the new valve body has an issue? I really didn't need to replace valve body but I was careless and it slipped from my hand fell down and damaged solenoid!!(duh) I might need to replace solenoid and use original valve body but since it was dropped on concrete I decided to replace it.
    Before, as in the codes you had before any work was performed, and after, the current codes you have

Depending on those codes the gear sensor module could be the culprit as well.

Let me know if you have those codes so we can take a look

AZ Member #

I have the two faults when R246 was lost (first issue). Not the full scan though. I'll upload them today.
    Last edited by jamievw; 04-16-2019 at 02:15 PM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I have the two faults when P246 was lost (first issue). Not the full scan though. I'll upload them today.
    Thanks!

AZ Member #

Original issue when I lost Reverse, 2, 4, 6 gears:
    Code:
    8940 - Valve 3 in Transmission Part 2 
              P174E 00 [167] - Electrical malfunction
    New issue with clutch slippage (after valve-body + circuit board replacement):
    Code:
    8944 - Torque Restriction due to Clutch Temperature 
              P17D8 00 [100] - -
              Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
    Sometimes, it is "torque restriction" error and sometimes it is clutch slippage (don't remember exact wording) but in all cases it only happens on hard acceleration, clutch significantly slips, it throws gearbox malfuncion error for few seconds, and then it drives normally. It definitely feels like clutch isn't fully engaged. This is why my mind is around adaptation issues.

It also bothers me that I (and the VW shop) cannot complete the adaptation. I guess maybe these many incomplete adaptations has put the clutch engagement point more out of calibration!

In summary, Circuit board replaced twice. Valve-body didn't need replacing but I dropped it on concrete and damaged solenoid so I replaced that too.