Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Established Member Three Rings csobel's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Iím using the exact same setup for my build... itís what my tuner recommended.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ubeermench View Post
    Do you have a link to where you got that material for the heat shield on manifolds?

Senior Member Three Rings ReggieNoble's Avatar
    AZ Member #

There is similar stuff on eBay for $16

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Embossed-Al...4383.l4275.c10

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Audizine mobile app

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by CELison View Post
    Those manifolds would make me nervous. Almost all aftermarket tubular manis crack down the road, dating back to the old AWE ones. There are tons of built motor cars (mine included) running around on the stockers. For longevity, I would stick with the stock log manifolds.
    Yes just about everyone is on stockers, but aren't there any gains?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Audizine mobile app

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by b518 View Post
    Yes just about everyone is on stockers, but aren't there any gains?

I have never seen a back to back dyno test on the same car. The flow testing on the SRM manifolds looked positive, but real world data would be needed to confirm. The one test I saw was by Flyboy and the car actually lost power going to the aftermarket manifolds.

As a side note, the engine masters episode where they did back to back tests of all those different sized manifolds was interesting. Not a huge difference overall. They even ended up taking a baseball bat to one of the headers and found out you really need to put dozens of dents in it to actually see the power go down.

Veteran Member Three Rings mikeb17's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Lamborfeetes

I actually use to design gas and oil transfer systems for offshore oil rigs for a living (fluid dynamics) and let me tell you... I spent a lot of time playing with exhaust manifold designs. My general conclusion on the S4 is that we arenít making anywhere close to enough power for volume flow to be an issue. The benefits to be had are in eliminating turbulent flow which ubers manifolds will perform great at. I could use three inch runners on my manifold and itíll outflow everything on the market but that doesnít make them great. The idea is to achieve the smoothest flow using the smallest diameter possible without causing significant back pressure. This will result in the highest exhaust velocity which will increase the rate at which a turbo will spool. My beef with the log manifolds is that the exhaust pulses tend to collide and cause turbulence. Youíll start to notice a difference at higher power levels. Uberís manifolds should outperform the stickers and Iím sure there would be a noticeable difference at his power levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

TheTuner and AGs, both in Germany has some great manifolds widely used in any 500whp + projects in Europe.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Mocke View Post
    TheTuner and AGs, both in Germany has some great manifolds widely used in any 500whp + projects in Europe.
    Yes, but how much gains over stock

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Mocke View Post
    If I could afford it I would buy ALL of their parts.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by csobel View Post
    If I could afford it I would buy ALL of their parts.
    Lol join the list

Registered Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by b518 View Post
    Yes, but how much gains over stock

I measured 80deg C EGT drop when going from oversize LOG style manifolds to AGs
    Note LOGs i had was oversize. Standards are really bottlenecks even with low power upgrades. This all has lots of meaning if you run lots of high gear puls. If not and you are on stock manifolds you will first loose power quickly as things heatup and shorten the life of turbos once you start pushing it in high gear.

Active Member Two Rings ubeermench's Avatar
    AZ Member #

From what I know about the WDR manifolds it moves some of the low end trq to the high end and should give it more breathing room.

Veteran Member Three Rings ElementR's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '07 Volvo S60R EFR 7163 Turbo, '93 Mustang Cobra Twin Turbo 347cid, '01 B5 S4 Tial 605's

Nice build. Not sure what you guys pay for 100 octane out there, but it's pretty much impossible to get at the pump out here and when you do find it expect to give an arm and a leg. I've been running Torco accelerator + 93 + meth on my S60R for several months now (built engine + EFR7163 making 35 psi) and let me tell you... the stuff is no joke. I can run way more timing than without it. It's not the typical octane booster that only raises octane by tenths. You can get case of 32 oz cans...which I did at first, or even better a 5 gallon pail and use a little hand held siphon pump to transfer to an empty 32 ounce can. Here's a link in case you're interested. Just wanted to share... we can get E85 out here all over, but the required fuel system was a big step up for my setup and the car is my daily and I don't want the cold start issues (Michigan) that come with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Octane-B.../dp/B0077C0GF8
    2001 Silver/Black S4, Built engine (RPM rods, ARP hardware, Mahle pistons, Supertech valvetrain, etc), Tial 605's @25psi on 93 oct, JHM FMIC, JHM full trans rebuilt/upgrade, 3" SS dp + CBE, Vast intake + bipipes + tune, ST Coilovers, Hotchkis Swaybars, RS4 wheels and interior goodies.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

100-110 at the pumps at either
    VP or Sunoco when you can
    find them down here are $10
    a gallon. Iíll stick to E85...

Active Member Two Rings ubeermench's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Engine is ready to be installed.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

You want to split those inlet pipes, if not you will strugle when valve covers needed to go out

Veteran Member Four Rings christianb5s4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Looks great! So close to going back in the car.
    Imola 2001 Stage 3 S4: 314K - 156mph 1/2 mile - Completely Refreshed/Built BEL Motor - SRM K24s w/ Custom Turbosmart wastegates - Ringer Racing 4+ - Etspec - Cinesnow WG/Oil Lines - SRM V3 Intercoolers - AA built trans - 4:1 Diff - JHM Trio - 034 - H&R Coilovers - FCP - Bosch Motorsports - OZ Racing - SRM/SSAC exhaust - Tons of New OEM parts

2009 C6.5 A6 3.0T Prestige - stock, daily driver

Veteran Member Four Rings xalents23's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by armageddon- View Post
    You want to split those inlet pipes, if not you will strugle when valve covers needed to go out
    Agreed, when I was building my setup I had them like that. Then I ended up splitting them in two pieces. For removing the valve covers in the future. Build is coming together nicely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12