Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB K04

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

WTB K04

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    My sons K03 is giving out and we need to replace it, dont want to replace with a stock K03 since hes already stage 2 JHM. Anyone selling a K04 either new or used in good shape? Missed out on the JHM K04 yesterday.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Might as well add that will be looking for Injectors and HPFP as well.
    '16 SQ5 Lava Grey Pearl - Prestige (Stock so far)
    '07 B7 Black Titanium S-Line A4 with 6 speed MT, JHM Test Pipe and Exhaust, KW v1 Coil-overs, JHM Stage 2 tune

Veteran Member Four Rings Audibot's Avatar
    AZ Member #

PM'd.

I've got a K04 variant for sale (RAI's K0R-GT)--would be comparable to JHM's K04.
    2016 A6 TDI Prestige - S-Line, Black Optics, Driver Assistance, HUD, LED Headlights, Cold Weather, Warm Weather
    2003 allroad 6MT - STUKLR Stage 1, Hotchkis sway bars, RS4 engine mounts, Apikol rear diff mounts

Established Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

2005.5 A4 Avant: JHM K04R, GIAC K04 tune, RS4 PRV, RS4 fuel pump controller, Treadstone TR6 intercooler core with JHM pipe kit, CTS Turbo test pipe, ECS Tuning snub mount, 034 street tranny mount, 034 street motor mounts, ECS Tuning turbo inlet pipe, ECS Tuning RA4 clutch conversion, Billy Boat Stealth cat back, Fluidampr

AZ Member #

I've got a single spare S3 injector I could toss in if OP bought my turbo
    2016 A6 TDI Prestige - S-Line, Black Optics, Driver Assistance, HUD, LED Headlights, Cold Weather, Warm Weather
    2003 allroad 6MT - STUKLR Stage 1, Hotchkis sway bars, RS4 engine mounts, Apikol rear diff mounts

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

BUMPing. Still looking for a K04, would love a JHM but open to other options.

How direct drop in would OEM K04 be, we already have JHM highflow cat test pipe and down pipe. I dont want to get into something thats going to require a lot of custom fitting.

We would have to move the DV? Any info would be appreciated, ive been reading non stop for a few days now and trying to piece it all together.

Thanks.
    '07 B7 Black Titanium S-Line A4 with 6 speed MT, JHM Test Pipe and Exhaust, KW v1 Coil-overs, JHM Stage 2 tune

AZ Member #

OEM Borg Warner K04-064ís donít work on our cars. They need to have the compressor outlet modified like CTS Turbo does.
    2005.5 A4 Avant: JHM K04R, GIAC K04 tune, RS4 PRV, RS4 fuel pump controller, Treadstone TR6 intercooler core with JHM pipe kit, CTS Turbo test pipe, ECS Tuning snub mount, 034 street tranny mount, 034 street motor mounts, ECS Tuning turbo inlet pipe, ECS Tuning RA4 clutch conversion, Billy Boat Stealth cat back, Fluidampr

Veteran Member Four Rings canadianA4B7's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    parts

You can use the k04 but youíll need to take the compressor housing from your K03 and have it machined to fit the compressor wheel. Like magic this is all thatís being done to make the k04 fit our platform. No special ordered parts nothing ďcustom madeĒ.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by canadianA4B7 View Post
    You can use the k04 but youíll need to take the compressor housing from your K03 and have it machined to fit the compressor wheel. Like magic this is all thatís being done to make the k04 fit our platform. No special ordered parts nothing ďcustom madeĒ.
    Ahhhh now thats the information I was looking for that I could never find. So yeah I dont want to mess with that so I need one that was either already done or get one of the kits it seems. This is my sons Daily Driver so it needs to be as reliable as possible.

So that means back to looking for APR, JHM, CTS or KOR.

I read the RAI had reliability problems in the past but looks like those might be worked out now.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    parts

I believe but could be wrong the RAI unit is the K0R or k0R GT.

Iíve got 3 just need time and parts delivered to rebuild em.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by zeeke069 View Post
    Ahhhh now thats the information I was looking for that I could never find. So yeah I dont want to mess with that so I need one that was either already done or get one of the kits it seems. This is my sons Daily Driver so it needs to be as reliable as possible.

I read the RAI had reliability problems in the past but looks like those might be worked out now.
    Buy the CTS kit. Real Borg Warner parts. I wish I went with CTS for mine. I probably wouldnít have had all the problems I had with my K04 if I did.

AZ Member #

Maybe my understanding of ďcustom madeĒ is wrong but wouldnít boring out your K03 compressor housing meet that definition? 🤣🤣

CTS adding their exit pipe does 2 things. It lets them use the original K04 compressor housing and eliminates the turbo muffler you would have to use if you used a bored out K03 compressor housing.

AZ Member #

As mentioned, I've got a freshly (well, last summer) rebuilt K0R-GT in my garage. New internals; reman'd housings, corrosion coating, etc. Practically a new turbo. I ran mine for 70k miles before that. Peaked ~23 psi and tapered down to 20-19psi. I only had an issue with the turbo initially, but that was b/c the poor Rev C diverter valve diaphragm tore. Rev D, no issues.

As canadianA4B7 said, the K0R-GT turbo is an RAI unit. Or I should say, RAI used to make them. They sold off all that stuff to a turbo company, which is the company that rebuilt mine.

Regarding RAI's reliability issues, yeah, that was a thing for a year or two. Did a big hit to their reputation along with some less scrupulous employees. From the looks of things, I got my turbo and upgrades in the nick of time, as I didn't have any issues. I've been going to their shop since 2012, and it's been a positive experience. When my A6 is out of warranty, it'll be my 3rd Audi to bring there. I know Ray enough to get everything straight up.

Per Ray (the owner), because he was growing so fast and trying to get things out the door, they had to hire on new more folks and get more work out the door, so quality suffered as a result. I hadn't heard of any turbo issues, but on the fabrication side, there were some poorly welded downpipes and similar issues. Additionally, on cars being brought in, there were underlying issues/preexisting conditions on some that caused some failures. Among all those things, they took quite the hit to their reputation.

Over the last several years, they've actually shrunk their operations quite a bit. Mostly service now, though still maintain the ability to fabricate. And they won't upgrade/modify a customer's car without going through a thorough inspection and making sure everything is right beforehand.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Audibot View Post
    As mentioned, I've got a freshly (well, last summer) rebuilt K0R-GT in my garage. New internals; reman'd housings, corrosion coating, etc. Practically a new turbo. I ran mine for 70k miles before that. Peaked ~23 psi and tapered down to 20-19psi. I only had an issue with the turbo initially, but that was b/c the poor Rev C diverter valve diaphragm tore. Rev D, no issues.

As canadianA4B7 said, the K0R-GT turbo is an RAI unit. Or I should say, RAI used to make them. They sold off all that stuff to a turbo company, which is the company that rebuilt mine.

Regarding RAI's reliability issues, yeah, that was a thing for a year or two. Did a big hit to their reputation along with some less scrupulous employees. From the looks of things, I got my turbo and upgrades in the nick of time, as I didn't have any issues. I've been going to their shop since 2012, and it's been a positive experience. When my A6 is out of warranty, it'll be my 3rd Audi to bring there. I know Ray enough to get everything straight up.

Per Ray (the owner), because he was growing so fast and trying to get things out the door, they had to hire on new more folks and get more work out the door, so quality suffered as a result. I hadn't heard of any turbo issues, but on the fabrication side, there were some poorly welded downpipes and similar issues. Additionally, on cars being brought in, there were underlying issues/preexisting conditions on some that caused some failures. Among all those things, they took quite the hit to their reputation.

Over the last several years, they've actually shrunk their operations quite a bit. Mostly service now, though still maintain the ability to fabricate. And they won't upgrade/modify a customer's car without going through a thorough inspection and making sure everything is right beforehand.

What tune were you running with the KOR? My son had JHM but he just told me this weekend he switched to UM tune and didnt tell me. So he can upgrade to the UM K04 tune fairly cheap and easy.

Readability is the main thing im looking for here as hes in college I guess who has to pay for and maintain this car ;) I'm all for upgrading and making it fun but it really needs to be quality and right the first time.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by EvolutionArmory View Post
    Maybe my understanding of ďcustom madeĒ is wrong but wouldnít boring out your K03 compressor housing meet that definition? 🤣🤣

CTS adding their exit pipe does 2 things. It lets them use the original K04 compressor housing and eliminates the turbo muffler you would have to use if you used a bored out K03 compressor housing.
    I like the CTS kit, but that downpipe... We have the JHM high flow cat. That downpipe removes the cat all together if im not mistaken. I need to keep a cat on it for inspection. Ill email them and see the details about it.

Its a nice kit, and its on sale right now. Its still pretty expensive though. But one stop kit is nice idea.

AZ Member #

Not to sound like a CTS Turbo employee or something but check out the K04 threads in the B8 section. It seems all the faster cars are using CTS and they donít seem to run into any tuning issues.

Most of the off the shelf tunes are going to be written with the BW turbo specs in mind so there will be less running hiccups.

Iíll use my JHM K04R for example. Who the hell knows what is inside this thing. 🤣🤣 I had a bunch of problems with it in the beginning and it took a new tune, lots of logging and quite a few adjustments to the wastegate to get it to run right.

You can probably use your JHM cat with it. You may have to egg out one of the bolt holes to make it mate up, maybe not.

Iíll stop going on about the CTS kit now 😀. I donít even own it, just wish that was the direction I went when I was shopping around for a K04.

AZ Member #

What tune were you running with the KOR? My son had JHM but he just told me this weekend he switched to UM tune and didnt tell me. So he can upgrade to the UM K04 tune fairly cheap and easy.

Readability is the main thing im looking for here as hes in college I guess who has to pay for and maintain this car ;) I'm all for upgrading and making it fun but it really needs to be quality and right the first time.

APR K04 tune is what I had. I had their Stage 1 so it was a much less expensive upgrade, as you suggested via UM. That was for ~70k miles (installed at ~92k), and would likely have another 40k miles if my B7 wasn't totaled. Not sure if RAI is still an official UM dealer (they have a giant UM banner in the office) but they were and so the software should work with the turbo off-the-shelf.

I like the CTS kit, but that downpipe... We have the JHM high flow cat. That downpipe removes the cat all together if im not mistaken. I need to keep a cat on it for inspection. Ill email them and see the details about it.

Its a nice kit, and its on sale right now. Its still pretty expensive though. But one stop kit is nice idea.

They actually have the option of a high-flow cat, but it's $120 more. Additionally, minus the exhaust (which you have), exhaust manifold gasket & install kits are, what, $100?

Quote Originally Posted by EvolutionArmory View Post
    Not to sound like a CTS Turbo employee or something but check out the K04 threads in the B8 section. It seems all the faster cars are using CTS and they donít seem to run into any tuning issues.
    Knew you were a CTS employee!! J/k

I recall reading previously that a true BW K04 requires some re-routing of things like the DV. The pics show some physical modifications to the CTS one, likely to actually work on a B7. I can say for sure that with any of these turbos, YMMV. Also this isn't a B8. I feel the B7 is a much more finicky platform.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Yeah I just called and talked to CTS. JHM cat wont work and like you said they suggest their cat for 120.00 more. I think I really like their kit but its a lot of money. Audibot's rebuilt KOR might be a good option at this point. Need to talk to my son and figure it out.

Thanks all for the feedback in a classified section! ;)

Its a bigger endeavor than I had planned.

AZ Member #

Well, you're doing all the right moves in terms of looking at your options, taking your time to think about it, etc.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Puch moped

What about HPA K04? any opinions on them?

https://www.hpamotorsports.com/20t-k...o-upgrade-1475

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mj109 View Post
    What about HPA K04? any opinions on them?

https://www.hpamotorsports.com/20t-k...o-upgrade-1475
    I don't think that's for a B7:

With a market flooded with poor quality aftermarket clones and modified OEM assemblies, HPA has taken a fresh approach to supplying its customers with a K04 Hybrid for the Gen 1 and 2 EA 888 and EA 113 engines at an affordable price.
    VEHICLE APPLICATION - LONGITUDINAL ENGINES
    MAKE MODEL
    Audi A4, A5 (B8)

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Audibot View Post
    I don't think that's for a B7:
    A B7 has an EA113 motor. It fits.

AZ Member #

Yeah I just called and talked to CTS. JHM cat wont work and like you said they suggest their cat for 120.00 more. I think I really like their kit but its a lot of money. Audibot's rebuilt KOR might be a good option at this point. Need to talk to my son and figure it out.

Thanks all for the feedback in a classified section! ;)

Yes, after the turbo, injectors, high pressure fuel pump and tune itís easy to hit over 3 grand when buying new. And that is just for the minimum requirements. A cat back exhaust and FMIC is highly recommended to fully utilize the power increase.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Iím just chiming Iím I have the jhm k04r and honestly wish I woulda went a different route lol. Just my .02 cents

Veteran Member Four Rings vce1232000's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    83 MK1 GTI Callaway Turbo stg II

Anything B&W KO4-0064 is legit. CTS uses a custom testpipe of HFC. APR machines the housing. Others are hybrid
    APR KO4, APR HPFP,RS4 LPFP Cntr,145 bar PRV, APR TP, TT DP, GFB DV+, AWE FMIC, BFI CC, AWE Exhaust, RS4 Exh tips, ST CO, 034 RSB,034 St Dnsty Mtr Mts, New Sth West Bst guage, B7 RS4 8 pot Calipers.Stop Tech slotted rotors.Goodridge SS brake lines frt & rr. Hawk HPS frt & rr. RS4 PS rack, RS4 Servotronic Relay,RS4 rims. S4 mirror caps,DTM frt bmpr and rs4 fogs,LED tail lites
    S4 Recaro Front & Rear seats. Led Interior Kit,United LED's fog lites
    2007 A4 Avant 2.0T Tiptronic 6spd

Active Member Two Rings conspiracy's Avatar
    AZ Member #

If you really want the best K04, look no further than http://www.vag-motorsport-shop.de/tu....0-tfsi-laengs

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/re...ct-description

Contact http://pacificgerman.com/ if you're looking to purchase one in the states.

"In order to produce a LO400 we utilize a brand new factory BorgWarner KO4 turbocharger and optimize with 5-Axis CNC machine, modifying the compressor housing and inner surface for optimum flow, then 5-axis CNC modify the turbine housing to reduce exhaust gas back pressure and maximize throughput to increase output.

At the heart of our LO400 is the latest state of the art, bigger more efficient V3 LOBA Motorsport LO-2580 forged billet compressor, that is unique in design, geometry and size, but is extremely light in weight at only 39.8 Gram, yet still very strong. LOBA Motorsport forged billet compressor wheels are 25% lighter than some original used cast items and lighter than standard billet types, but still has greater strength and durability over a cast compressor or standard billet types. Being a forged billet the nose and stem of the compressor wheel can be CNC machined significantly smaller to allow for a greater blade area and diameter for inducer size, blades can also be made thinner, so more efficient and flowing more air then say same size billet compressor wheel. The end result is a compressor of extreme lightness, fast unmatched response and superior efficiency.

We also lighten and clip the BorgWarner turbine for increased flow and CNC machine the exhaust turbine housing to reduce exhaust backpressure and increase output.

We precision balance the turbine wheel/shaft and compressor wheel to far beyond oem tolerance as single parts, first to less than 0,05gmm then together. Last but not least is we modify the actuator and use a reinforced LOBA bearing for durability.

The end result can be less lag and better response than even a stock KO4, yet still flowing much more air mass so making and holding more power to the redline. The LO400 turbocharger is a great compromise between power output, turbo response and longevity. A OEM+ turbocharger upgrade well suited for motorsport use or street.

The following LOBA specific optimizations were applied

NEW V3 LOBA LO-2580 ďExtended TipĒ state-of-the-art forged billet compressor wheel
    LOBA 5-axis CNC machined re-profiled compressor housing and backplate
    LOBA clipped turbine wheel
    LOBA Optimized clearances
    LOBA Modified actuator
    LOBA Uprated bearing
    LOBA Superior Balancing
    Made in Germany
    Fits exactly as a OEM KO4 plug & play"

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    parts

Just for reference all 3 of these are using k03 compressor top is k03 turbo complete see compressor housing opening size, middle new k04 out of box, bottom is k0R notice compressor opening is enlarged from the k04. And for all of those interested option 3 is also seen left of photo. This hotside is direct fit into our k04 turbine housing though a different CHRA core size (actually a k03 fit) this Iíd like to swap into a k04 chra and attach to our turbine housing cause from whereit comes from as it sits runs 23 psi taper to 20 psi. Billet compressor out of box

Alternate k04 option

K03 compressor k03 turbo

K04 hotside, k03 compressor bored to fit

To fit test pipe to alternate k04 all youíll need is a dremel tool with a good barrel bit. 1 bolt hole wud require elongating. Would you like photos to show this difference? If not itís easy to just have a exhaust shop cut off the flange and replace/weld on the one you need. Please donít listen to half these shops theyíre at minimum 50% full of shit 105% of the time.
    Last edited by canadianA4B7; 03-12-2019 at 03:06 AM.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

To fit test pipe to alternate k04 all youíll need is a dremel tool with a good barrel bit. 1 bolt hole wud require elongating. Would you like photos to show this difference? If not itís easy to just have a exhaust shop cut off the flange and replace/weld on the one you need. Please donít listen to half these shops theyíre at minimum 50% full of shit 105% of the time.

So this is what I was wondering, in looking at the CTS I just dont see why I need to use their custom test pipe or a production magnaflow High Flow Cat when I have the 500.00 JHM larger bore high flow cat. Surely the flanges cant be that different. Cant see magnaflow making the odd one but the JHM not working.

JHM even says their high flow cat already has the elongated hole on the one side to allow their K04 to bolt right up. So I dont think I would have to do a thing.

AZ Member #

So this is what I was wondering, in looking at the CTS I just dont see why I need to use their custom test pipe or a production magnaflow High Flow Cat when I have the 500.00 JHM larger bore high flow cat. Surely the flanges cant be that different. Cant see magnaflow making the odd one but the JHM not working.

JHM even says their high flow cat already has the elongated hole on the one side to allow their K04 to bolt right up. So I dont think I would have to do a thing.
    Youíre probably right. If it doesnít just bolt up, it isnít hard to elongate the hole a little more if the JHM cat doesnít fit. Itís only one stud that isnít quite lined up.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by conspiracy View Post
    If you really want the best K04, look no further than http://www.vag-motorsport-shop.de/tu....0-tfsi-laengs

Thats a really nice kit to be honest, I really like the mods. I bet you would need a custom tune to get full performance out of their upgrades. Nice kit. Do you think they will sell a kit here or only direct from germany?

Active Member Two Rings conspiracy's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Thats a really nice kit to be honest, I really like the mods. I bet you would need a custom tune to get full performance out of their upgrades. Nice kit. Do you think they will sell a kit here or only direct from germany?
    Contact http://pacificgerman.com/ if you're looking to purchase one in the states.

It might need a custom tune to take full advantage of their "400hp" claim whereas the CTS "Power with Unitronic Stage 2+ tune: 335hp/335lb-ft tq"

I recall Pacific German quoting around 2k for the Loba turbo, if that is still the case then I'd definitely purchase that over the CTS, if it is capable of producing 70 more horsepower.

AZ Member #

GIAC tunes for the LO400 in other platforms. I wonder how much of a hassle it would be for them to write a B7 tune or if they would even do it.

They did 358 WHP on a Mustang dyno with a Golf R with 100 octane and meth. 310 foot pounds.

The HP gain was decent but not the torque.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    parts

Before you grab a loba turbo someone needs to ask exactly what size wheels they are using ask what turbine wheel was used thatís being ďclippedĒ to what size and what size compressor wheel how many blades and measurements. This is critical info needed for tunes that are ďcustomĒ as well if your looking to ďmaximize hpĒ requires a custom tune for a custom turbo. You will not likely reach max with any off the shelf tune.

Iíll also add that unitronic tune was actually no where close to its claims of 335, I myself have made k04 files that put down better power then unitronic tunes.

AZ Member #

I wonder if the LO400 is anything like the TTE 420 which basically uses a 2871 compressor wheel.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Well after a lot of research and money for hp discussions, I think we are going to skip the K04 and move to the GTX2860R gen 2 kit. Means we need to replace the rods and other crap but we knew we were going to change the timing belt and have the whole front of the car off so we might as well keep going. Will take us a bit longer to get all the parts and save up for parts but think thats the way to go since he doesnt want to sell the car and buy something different.

Evolution I am reading some threads you are in in the performace section but it wont let me reply for some reason so I think ill hit you up for some general advice in PM.

AZ Member #

PM sent.

AZ Member #

Quite a difference in direction! Best of luck with the build!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    parts

Well after a lot of research and money for hp discussions, I think we are going to skip the K04 and move to the GTX2860R gen 2 kit. Means we need to replace the rods and other crap but we knew we were going to change the timing belt and have the whole front of the car off so we might as well keep going. Will take us a bit longer to get all the parts and save up for parts but think thats the way to go since he doesnt want to sell the car and buy something different.

Evolution I am reading some threads you are in in the performace section but it wont let me reply for some reason so I think ill hit you up for some general advice in PM.
    Best decision ever! I have amazing tunes for that size of snail! And being you cud likely do the turbo for same or cheaper then a k04! And I know how you can retain close to k04 throttle response and have a super snappy setup!! Power everywhere! But ask someone with a k04 about making power..... Iím sure they know how to do it too!

AZ Member #

Zeeke, if you want to go bigger turbo instead of K04 and want a kit that will be pretty easy to install, get a tune for and have some product support to go along with it, you should call Arnold at Pag Parts in New York and talk to him about his EFR turbo kit. It seems to be the most complete and well thought out kit available right now.

And as far as getting power advice from someone who has a K04 not being the best idea, thatís going under the assumption that I didnít pick a K04 on purpose..... I could have thrown in any turbo I wanted in this car. I drive 30,000 miles a year on back roads. Why the hell would I do a big turbo 🤣🤣

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    parts

Cost off pag parts manifold in insane. I can put together nearly complete Gtx package for what I paid for manifold alone. And itís not even twin scroll.

Iím just poking the bear evoarmoury we all know you cudnt handle BT power thatís why you went with a k04! I will add though it is a completely different ball game playing above k04 power. Having not been there all I mean is you havenít experienced it. Say it and living it are 2 different things and I know very well your aware. Living it with 3 different BT setups is another regrettable story I cud tell! (Iím not by any ways discrediting your knowledge)

AZ Member #

Cost off pag parts manifold in insane. I can put together nearly complete Gtx package for what I paid for manifold alone. And itís not even twin scroll.

Iím just poking the bear evoarmoury we all know you cudnt handle BT power thatís why you went with a k04! I will add though it is a completely different ball game playing above k04 power. Having not been there all I mean is you havenít experienced it. Say it and living it are 2 different things and I know very well your aware. Living it with 3 different BT setups is another regrettable story I cud tell! (Iím not by any ways discrediting your knowledge)
    Lol!!! Do you think this is my first car or something? Back in 2005 I worked at a shop that built a 550HP URS4. Not my first rodeo. We also built quite a few B5 S4 cars.

Youíre acting like driving a 400 HP A4 is some mystery to crack but let me assure you, if that was the direction I wanted to go, it wouldnít take me 6 years, 3 turbos and who knows how many tune revisions to do it 😀 And if I wanted to go beyond that power level, I wouldnít pick a 2.0 FSI to do it in. Itís not the best platform for it.

Maybe Iím being over sensitive but it felt like a dig to me. If thatís not the case then Iím sorry. 😉

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast