Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

How's the OEM shock longevity after lowering with springs?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I'm thinking of lowering my '18 S5 with springs and so I was wondering how long the OEM shocks have lasted. I had an '06 911 that was lowered on H&R springs at 40k miles. Two shocks went bad by 60k miles so I was wondering what other's experiences were with springs. I wasn't the owner from 0-30k so that's a variable.

TIA

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I'm also wondering as well. I'm a newb regarding lowering my SQ5 '18. I've been reading from forums that the springs only will be a bit bouncy and might not be comfortable in the long run. Heard it's rough on stock struts too. After reading everyone's comments I just recently made the jump on the KW V1 coilovers. I'll have to wait 6-8 weeks to be delivered apparently. I won't be able to turn back now. *Note: Heard I'll be losing the ADS functionality too, bummer.

Established Member Two Rings Chaoscreature's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 A3 Quattro, 1995 Porsche 993 C2, 2006 Jetta TDI

It's a VW, so your results may vary, but I lowered my MK6 Jetta with H&R Sports when it had about 10k miles on it. It was a tad under-damped, but it worked okay for about 50k miles. There was no degradation in the shocks when I swapped them out at about 60k miles, but I wanted something firmer at that point and added Koni Sports (yellows).
    If you do the work yourself, modding in stages is great. There are other springs around that are specifically designed to work with OEM Shocks. EMD and 034 Motorsports are both supposed to make spring like this, but I am not sure about your S5.

Established Member Four Rings wkhanna's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    needs cleaned

oem shocks are going to wear our at anywhere from 40k to 80k regardless of whether you lower or not.
    if you going to the time & expense of putting on new springs, why not replace the shocks, too?

the oem shock is designed to work with the suspension at a specific ride height, too.
    if you lower, the oem shock is not working within its valving's optimal range.
    Billy

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

2011 A5 2.0T Old Man Project
    2011 A4 quattro 2.0t (The Wife's)
    1983 Porsche 944 (Modified)
    1985 BWM K100RS (since new - Heavily Modified)
    1971 Moto Guzzi Elderodo

Established Member Two Rings allbizns's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Audi Q7 TDI S-Line, 2018 Ram 2500 Cummins, 2006 Mazda Speed 6, 1970 Big Block Nova, 1955 Chevy

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrero View Post
    I'm also wondering as well. I'm a newb regarding lowering my SQ5 '18. I've been reading from forums that the springs only will be a bit bouncy and might not be comfortable in the long run. Heard it's rough on stock struts too. After reading everyone's comments I just recently made the jump on the KW V1 coilovers. I'll have to wait 6-8 weeks to be delivered apparently. I won't be able to turn back now. *Note: Heard I'll be losing the ADS functionality too, bummer.
    Great choice you wont be disappointed I installed a set on my Q7 couldnt be happier.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by allbizns View Post
    Great choice you wont be disappointed I installed a set on my Q7 couldnt be happier.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thank you for this comment, allbizns!!! Made me more relieved on my decision, but I'm still waiting for them. Anticipation is killing me, but at least it'll be ready by summer.