Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Not an owner yet, advice needed on a 2000 S6

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi guys I am looking at buying either a 550i or an S6, haven't driven the 535 but drove the S6, yesterday, I gotta say NICE. The 535 has 120k, asking 9k

The story is this: its an ex Japanese car but came with left hand drive and has incredibly low kilometres, nearly 50,000. It's an automatic 4.2L.

Car felt good and tight, newer tires no rust... Asking price is about 10k - which is not really unreasonable ?? but it does have its issues.

1. Nav and Stereo are in Japanese, hard to understand as am as canadian as they come, doesnt seem to pick up local stations.
    2. LCD in the center of the dash is all pixelated, hard to read.
    3. The cloth at the rear on the ceiling is becoming detached.
    4. Only 1 key

He took it to a garage to see what work needed to be done this is what they said:

Needs:
    1 Differential output seal, both sides 230 bucks
    2 Axle Shaft assembly remove and install or remove and replace both $320
    3 Axle shaft boot - remove and replace both outer $144
    4 Differential output seals replace both sides $60
    5 Pressure test for coolant leaks

Recommendations:

Rear axle seals leaking
    Front outer cv boots split
    Output seal leaking
    Oil leak appearing to originate from oil filter. recommend wash and monitor
    Coolant found on belly pan and frame, reservoir low and topped recommend pressure test.

The car just had some fuel sending unit replaced - don't recall what it was, but while they were in there they told him might as well to the timing belt so he said sure, had a 1k receipt.

I gotta say the car is nice, I had no idea what an S6 was about, I've had my share of cars, 240z, fox mustang, jag etc. but this one really felt like it wants to go where you point it. Pretty nice.

I know long post but its a lot of money to me, this will be a daily driver. Live on the west coast so having power to the 4 wheels will be a welcome addition. I am mechanically inclined but am not a mechanic.

Thanks guys really appreciate any comments.

rr
    Last edited by royrogers; 02-19-2019 at 10:43 AM.

Veteran Member Three Rings SteelyS6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 Atlas Allroad 6MT, 2001 Kermit stage 3

My two cents,

I have seen a few of these for sale in BC and Alberta. They are rare but $10,000 for basically an A6 with 40 extra hp and nicer interior isn't worth it in my opinion.

I have talked to the owner of the green one in Edmonton and it definitely needed some more work. It has also been for sale at $10,000 for over a year, and there is a reason.

If you must absolutely have it and can do the work and are ok with not getting your money back out of it then go for it. I feel all these imported S6's are overpriced, low kilometers doesnt mean anything for a C5, good maintenance history does though.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Keep in mind that while it only has 50k, it's still almost 20 years old. Everything rubber will be more degraded than you'd expect (hence the recent timing belt job). Maintenance will be more than you'd expect with the milage in general. I agree with Steely here, it's just not cost effective to import cars at this price level so it ends up adding a significant price premium that often isn't worth it.
    2002 A6 4.2 6spd - beige on beige, totally stock and totally boring

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Thanks guys, that's why I posted. How big a difference between an A6 and the S6? Looking around though there are only 2 around here, an 06 with 200k for 8k and n 03 for 6k with 125.

What is this one worth? I know I'll be insulting the owner if I offer him 5k but... Maybe I should just stay away from it :)

Thanks

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Ok further to my post, I have decided I am not going with the car after a call to a dealer. The dealer stated that they would be unable to get most of the computers for that car as it was a car destined for the japanese market. Big deal in my opinion.

Anyway, thanks for the help support.

rr

Veteran Member Three Rings m_haiser's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Highland Green Allroad

id be willing to bet that almost all of them are interchangeable with us/ca model computers.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by m_haiser View Post
    id be willing to bet that almost all of them are interchangeable with us/ca model computers.
    I'd even go so far as to say you won't need to replace any control units, you'd need a vagcom cable but you can recode modules to Canadian or North American market if needed.

Veteran Member Three Rings m_haiser's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Highland Green Allroad

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
    I'd even go so far as to say you won't need to replace any control units, you'd need a vagcom cable but you can recode modules to Canadian or North American market if needed.
    unless of course there are failures but yes coding can typically be changed fairly easily

Senior Member Three Rings Batcave's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I've owned a 2001 A6 and currently have a 2002 S6 Avant. One post indicated it is 40 extra HP, and two extra cylinders compared to the A6, but it's more than that. The motor is tuned differently, higher RPM and likely higher torque and gear ratios. It also had a wider stance and tires (17x8), bigger brakes, suspension and exhaust. Install some coilovers and you could track this car. 😎

The C5 (98-23) is the best of the S series imho because the timing belt is replaceable and in the front of the motor. Maybe a C$2k job every 100k or seven years. After the C5, Audi introduced a timing chain in the rear of the motor. It was supposed to be maintenance free, but the guides often failed. Replacing the guides involved removal of the motor. You can imagine what that would cost. I wouldn't consider an S beyond 2003 unless the chain guides have been replaced.

As for the Japanese import S6, if there if the is no history, a timing belt replacement would be in order at the very minimum. The required maintenance tells me that it hasn't been well maintained. I think $10k is a bit high for the condition. I would deduct the required work from the ask and offer that so your $5k isn't far off.

My S6 😀 I love driving this car!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by royrogers View Post
    Thanks guys, that's why I posted. How big a difference between an A6 and the S6? Looking around though there are only 2 around here, an 06 with 200k for 8k and n 03 for 6k with 125.

What is this one worth? I know I'll be insulting the owner if I offer him 5k but... Maybe I should just stay away from it :)

Thanks
    The 03 seems reasonable. I wouldn't touch the 06 though because of the asking price and the potential chain guide issue.

AZ Member #

Ok further to my post, I have decided I am not going with the car after a call to a dealer. The dealer stated that they would be unable to get most of the computers for that car as it was a car destined for the japanese market. Big deal in my opinion.

Anyway, thanks for the help support.

rr
    Dealers generally do not want to touch these cars because of the age. The are better resources, and cheaper, at local garages that specialize in working on Audi/Porsche/VW.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

sheesh and here I was thinking that it was over and I should just forget about it.

Talked to a parts guy today that said these are german cars not japanese, drive train and computers all the same except for the gps and nav, headlight assemblies, and foglights, to point on the other side of the road. Also different stickers - pretty much it.

So now am really confused.

lol - thanks guys

Veteran Member Four Rings rollerton's Avatar
    AZ Member #

sheesh and here I was thinking that it was over and I should just forget about it.

Talked to a parts guy today that said these are german cars not japanese, drive train and computers all the same except for the gps and nav, headlight assemblies, and foglights, to point on the other side of the road. Also different stickers - pretty much it.

So now am really confused.

lol - thanks guys
    He's basically right. There's nothing about a Euro/ Jap/ ROW/ Grey market C5 that is very different from a North American model. Almost all of the coding possible is present in every module to change it from Euro to US spec. I think there are very few technology *hardware* (physically different modules/ wiring) differences between any of them worldwide . If there is a difference in one, the N/A model hardware is very plentiful and cheap and swapping them out and coding is mostly super simple if you had to.
    The 4.2 C5 engine is the best Audi engine across the board in my opinion. I've owned 4 of them and my experience is it's likely the most reliable Audi you can own that's still not a 90's Dinosaur or a newer model econobox. The S6 must be one of the most rare models you can still buy too- at just about 1400 TOTAL sold in North America ever.
    340 HP is really a decent bit of power, the interior is just awesome and parts are relatively cheap and plentiful. Honestly- for the price to get a decent S6 go shop around and compare what you get, there's not much.
    $10k Canadian for a nice S6 isn't the worst way to spend your money, but that feels like a fairly high end price ; especially if you're looking at that S6 Sedan in Vancouver (it's been for sale for 3 years or more at the same place). They had an Avant or two for a while also, I prefer the Avant.

Also, take the advice you get here (even mine) 'with a grain of salt' - I mean, it's just advice. It doesn't mean you're definitely going to experience exactly what we describe with any car you get. And no..when you buy a timing belt car it doesn't mean you INSTANTLY need to take it to a shop and dump $3500 into maintenance just because it hasn't been done in a while. It's good piece of mind to start from scratch and have it done, but the 4.2 is relatively forgiving maintenance-wise. if it NEEDS it, then do it. But..if it all looks very good and there is no sign of wear or imminent issues it's not likely to be cause an immediate problem. I haven't have hardly opened the hood on mine in a year or two and the catastrophic engine failures actually usually don't come about due to LACK of maintenance, but more often parts that were replaced and failed or improper procedures.
    I've thought about selling mine...but honestly I can't think of another car to replace it with. It has and does just about everything I can want in a car.

Except that fuel mileage..it hurts.
    foley803 : What does an electrical surge sound like? Barking dogs? Watermelons?

Veteran Member Four Rings A6C5V842's Avatar
    AZ Member #

^^

Yup!
    Glyn - with a "y"!
    Nemo - Manual!
    Email me

Theory can get you killed. Skill and observation are your only way out

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

guys I still haven't made up my mind, thanks for the replies. Am also looking at an 04 XJR, totally different beast but about the same amount of dollars to get into it, parts for the jag seem very expensive.

when I look at parts for the S6 am I looking at an A6? suspension components etc? I look at rock auto and they don't list the S6. sure seems that parts are cheap.

really don't know how the S6 is different than the A6.

THANKS

AZ Member #

guys I still haven't made up my mind, thanks for the replies. Am also looking at an 04 XJR, totally different beast but about the same amount of dollars to get into it, parts for the jag seem very expensive.

when I look at parts for the S6 am I looking at an A6? suspension components etc? I look at rock auto and they don't list the S6. sure seems that parts are cheap.

really don't know how the S6 is different than the A6.

THANKS
    There is very little you'd need to buy that is 'S6' specific. Almost every maintenance or wear item would be the same part as found on a 4.2 C5 A6, and a lot of the parts are just regular A6 parts.
    The difference between the S6 and A6 (V8) is in the cams and some very minor engine differences you'd probably never have to consider, they changed the exhaust a little (2 less catalytic converters on the S6), and some other super minor stuff.

I know the S6 fairly well and I'm having a hard time thinking of something that could be S6 specific that would matter..other than the stuff that has an S6 badge on it there isn't much.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

huh, thanks maybe i'll go make him an offer, interesting.

will keep you guys posted

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

bought it - it was between this and a 2004 jaguar xjr, but looked up the price for shocks on the xjr, even a conversion would have set me back 3k. this ends up being about 2k cheaper after its all said and done, think he got a good deal 7 (which seem to be average in canada), and i got an ok deal. fingers crossed.

now i need a key - anyone point to me to a place to order a key from?

thanks

Veteran Member Three Rings SteelyS6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 Atlas Allroad 6MT, 2001 Kermit stage 3

Right on, post some pics when you get possession! The 4.2 is a good motor and with the help of this forum and the members you might find yourself becoming a C5 guru in no time!

AZ Member #

See if there's a VW/Audi or even automotive locksmith in your area, that'll be the cheapest option. Otherwise dealer. I had a key done by a locksmith and he was able to copy it just by looking at it. They'll be able to program it to your immobilizer as well.

AZ Member #

bought it -

now i need a key - anyone point to me to a place to order a key from?

thanks
    Saweeet! I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Now- before you go too far, how are your mechanical skills?
    If there's a check engine light how do you want to deal with it? Are you planning on getting fairly hands-on and doing what you can yourself? Or do you have a friend/ mechanic/ wrench-gnome that you can drop the car off with for any trouble/ projects?

IF you're planning on keeping that thing a year or two you WILL NEED an OBD interface to read the various modules and change coding, clear CEL etc.
    My advice: Check any and all Audi / VW classifieds and drop $300'ish on a used Ross Tech Hex-Can cable- the older version had NO limitations and will scan any VW/ Audi up to whatever they make today. Alternatively just go to RossTech.com and buy a new one- they're limited to 10-vins now so the deal isn't what it used to be. But for the $ I do believe it's the single best tool you can buy and they do tend to have decent residual value; you can sell a used one for 70-80% of the new ones pretty easy so not much to lose considering what you get.
    Where am I going with this? -
    Once you have that cable I can send you the software to read the code from the ECU (or cluster) in order to program your own keys. The dealer might charge you roughly $250 for the simple 15 minute key matching. That is on top of the cost of the parts ($80-$175 depending on how nice they're feeling). So that Ross Tech cable pays for itself rather quickly.
    With that you can also do basically 100% of the module coding you need to do should any of the oddball Japan stuff cause you a hassle or if you ever have to replace one.
    Give it a good once-over and then come back and post some pics; that's the cost of entry here! .

And if you got the car I'm thinking of I get dibs on your interior..just part it out.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

LOL. I'll look up the Ross cable thing, I do have a scanner but its a generic and also have a wifi one. The interior ha once the car is done I guess, but its got 46k on it so it should last a few year, at least I hope. I'll post pictures after am done going over it.

Again thank you thank you. Re the key I called a locksmith they say they can clone this one, gonna do it today cause if I lose it am in trouble.

Later :)

AZ Member #

Congratulations! Can't wait to see it!