Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 65

Thread: TD1 safe?

  1. #1
    Established Member Four Rings comingabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 03 2018
    AZ Member #
    418157
    Location
    SE

    TD1 safe?

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    At the dealership, and found out a local TTRS, who is flashed APR, came in (confirmed, was flashed back to stock, to get an ecm update), and with the car flashed to stock, Audi caught it and TD1'd it. Their tune detection system is a lot more sophisticated now. It was something new to them. Just a public service announcement.

    Oh, and they are an APR dealer.
    Last edited by comingabriel; 02-19-2019 at 10:18 AM.

  2. #2
    Established Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Nov 06 2017
    AZ Member #
    409460
    Location
    Vancouver

    I'll file this under the "duh" category

  3. #3
    Veteran Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Mar 02 2009
    AZ Member #
    39389
    Location
    State of Confusion

    Flashed back to stock would make more sense than set to stock.

    Definate “duh”
    Last edited by mjfloyd1; 02-19-2019 at 10:04 AM.

  4. #4
    Established Member Four Rings comingabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 03 2018
    AZ Member #
    418157
    Location
    SE

    Quote Originally Posted by mjfloyd1 View Post
    Flashed back to stock would make more sense than set to stock.
    They asked me if I was flashed. I said no. They said ever? I said yes. They said glad you were honest, cuz a guy was apr and flashed back to stock and audi found out and td1'd it. They said flashed back to stock. Was it actually set to stock?

  5. #5
    Veteran Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Mar 02 2009
    AZ Member #
    39389
    Location
    State of Confusion

    Your wording is confusing

    If you have APR EMCS with multiple tunes and the APR version of a “stock” (but not your factory stock flash) setting and turn it to the “stock” setting, then you are going to be TD1.

    You have a better chance if your car is flashed by your APR dealer back to your actual factory ECU stock flash that was recorded when you had it flashed to APR originally. You could still get caught by flash counter and actual to spec etc.

  6. #6
    Established Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 02 2017
    AZ Member #
    407767
    Location
    Seattle

    Flashes are being found across all tuners regardless of if you remove the tune before going into the dealer or 'flash a stock file". There are some ways around this but expect to be flagged if the dealer plugs in your ecu.

  7. #7
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Jun 15 2017
    AZ Member #
    401160
    Location
    Snohomish, WA

    Quote Originally Posted by comingabriel View Post
    They asked me if I was flashed. I said no. They said ever? I said yes. They said glad you were honest, cuz a guy was apr and flashed back to stock and audi found out and td1'd it. They said flashed back to stock. Was it actually set to stock?
    "Flashing back to stock" and setting the ECU program to stock are two different things.


    With the APR setup you have a choice between 4 different "programs" in the ECU to switch to without having to hook anything up to the car. Switch to stock, E85, etc.. You still have an APR tune in the ECU at that point. The only reason to switch the program to stock when you take it to the dealer for service is to keep the lot attendants from railing on your car.

    "Flashing back to stock" means the aftermarket tune is removed from the ECU and the stock programming is put back. Is it detectable? Maybe...

    Either way, Audi most likely has ways to tell if the ECU has been flashed at all. They have counters in the ECU for everything else, I don't see why they wouldn't have one for how many times the ECU has been updated or flashed.

    If people are that paranoid about it, keep it stock.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Two Rings Dominick's S4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 04 2013
    AZ Member #
    124362
    My Garage
    2007 BMW M3 Dinan, 2009 BMW 335i, 2011 G37s, 2014 S4 APR Stage II + All gone - 2016 BMW 340i M
    Location
    Anderson, SC - Lake Hartwell

    Quote Originally Posted by mjfloyd1 View Post
    Your wording is confusing

    If you have APR EMCS with multiple tunes and the APR version of a “stock” (but not your factory stock flash) setting and turn it to the “stock” setting, then you are going to be TD1.

    You have a better chance if your car is flashed by your APR dealer back to your actual factory ECU stock flash that was recorded when you had it flashed to APR originally. You could still get caught by flash counter and actual to spec etc.
    +1
    On order - 2019 RS3 - Black - Carbon Inlays- Dynamic- Driver Assistance- Carbon Fiber Mirrors - Black Optic Package - RS Design - Technology package - Audi connect - Front Plate Delete
    Gone - 2014 Audi S4 B8.5 APR Stage II+
    11.991 @ 114.40MPH - 60' time= 1.730, 330' time= 4.992 1/8th mile time= 7.703 - 93 Octane
    1/2 mile: 139 MPH from a dig - WannaGoFast

  9. #9
    Established Member Three Rings S3DUDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 29 2017
    AZ Member #
    405991
    Location
    AZ

    I am not surprise if they TD1's the car. Here is my take on this, put yourself on the dealer's shoes, do you think is fair for Audi corporation or the dealership to honor a warranty when the engine parameters have been modified? the whole idea about the warranty is that they honor it from the factory the way they built, tested and designed the engine.

    I would like the dealer to fix my car if something breaks but in all fairness we(the RS3 owners) are not fair to them by bringing a tuned car. I have an excellent rapport with my local dealer chains, they know me from years, I purchased so many new cars from them and they are nice to me but I always tell them that my cars are tuned. If something breaks because of a tune then I am the one to blame for (I would think).
    Ran 11.703@117.06 mph at 3100ft elevation with no mods or bolt-ons. Running E-32 content as per fuel-it sensor (mixture of 1.5 gallons of ethanol E-85 +4 gallons of 91oct). DA of 2,869ft based on 82% humidity, 44F (the time of the run), 30.09 barometric pressure, relative density of 91.87%. Personal best trap 118.94 mph backed by 118.93 and a few 118mphs **also ran 11.7's several times

  10. #10
    Established Member Four Rings comingabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 03 2018
    AZ Member #
    418157
    Location
    SE

    Agree with you 100%.

  11. #11
    Veteran Member Three Rings thebc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 02 2013
    AZ Member #
    116402
    Location
    Boston, MA

    Quote Originally Posted by OE2 View Post
    Flashes are being found across all tuners regardless of if you remove the tune before going into the dealer or 'flash a stock file". There are some ways around this but expect to be flagged if the dealer plugs in your ecu.
    I second this.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '18 RS 3 - Gretchen build thread
    '16 Golf R /sold
    '10 S4 /sold

  12. #12
    Active Member Two Rings 5_cyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 12 2018
    AZ Member #
    431006
    Location
    Salt lake city

    My question is are you planning on modding the car if you buy it? If yes go for it and get it on the cheap, if no look else where and get a CPO one.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

  13. #13
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    May 08 2015
    AZ Member #
    331773
    Location
    uae

    the same to me switch to stock map APR tune, the dealer drops my warranty, actually i don't care it's not my dd

  14. #14
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Jul 13 2018
    AZ Member #
    422362
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada

    Quote Originally Posted by S3DUDE View Post
    I am not surprise if they TD1's the car. Here is my take on this, put yourself on the dealer's shoes, do you think is fair for Audi corporation or the dealership to honor a warranty when the engine parameters have been modified? the whole idea about the warranty is that they honor it from the factory the way they built, tested and designed the engine.

    I would like the dealer to fix my car if something breaks but in all fairness we(the RS3 owners) are not fair to them by bringing a tuned car. I have an excellent rapport with my local dealer chains, they know me from years, I purchased so many new cars from them and they are nice to me but I always tell them that my cars are tuned. If something breaks because of a tune then I am the one to blame for (I would think).
    I agree with you; but we all know that Audi will ruthlessly use TD1 to deny warranty completely unrelated to the modification in an attempt to save money when they still have a legit obligation to repair.

    In fact, this is my main concern with tuning. I expect that if I tuned my car and create mechanical carnage as a result; Audi is never going to get fooled into repairing my engine for free.

    But, if I get a tune and then a couple years later my digital speedometer screen fails; they scan the car and deny warranty on the screen b/c...TD1.

    I realize that legislation may prevent Audi from this kind of activity depending on your country; but only if you want to put up a fight and get a lawyer. Then it becomes an ordeal.
    2018 Audi RS3 - Ara Blue, Black Optics 12.04 @ 112 mph (stock) - A disappointment in progress
    2006 Mustang GT - Whipple Supercharged 11.69@122 mph

  15. #15
    Established Member Two Rings Fixeroh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 13 2014
    AZ Member #
    274256
    Location
    Central Ohio

    Tuned my previous S3 to stage 2+ and now my RS3 to stage 1. I talked to my Audi service department before starting down that road. They totally understand and even recommended some things to me. I knew if the tunes caused damage that I would probably ultimately responsible for the bill IF the failure was attributed to the tune. I was simply asked to remind the service department each time I brought my cars in for service. I've never needed any service aside from normal periodic maintenance. The techs simply never connected to the system and therefor does not get flagged. I would not try to deceive my dealership either. Service department knows lots of owners want to 'enhance' their cars. I've been upfront with them and they have worked me to enjoy the cars. But as someone stated previously, if you're super paranoid, stay stock.
    "It is not always possible to be the best, but it possible to improve your own performance." Sir Jackie Stewart

    Driving: 2018 Nardo grey RS3, BO, Dynamic Plus and Tech Packages, APR Stage 1

    Sold: 2015 Mythos Black S3 Prestige, APR Stage 2+

  16. #16
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Jun 26 2018
    AZ Member #
    421318
    Location
    Socal

    Quote Originally Posted by S3DUDE View Post
    I am not surprise if they TD1's the car. Here is my take on this, put yourself on the dealer's shoes, do you think is fair for Audi corporation or the dealership to honor a warranty when the engine parameters have been modified? the whole idea about the warranty is that they honor it from the factory the way they built, tested and designed the engine.

    I would like the dealer to fix my car if something breaks but in all fairness we(the RS3 owners) are not fair to them by bringing a tuned car. I have an excellent rapport with my local dealer chains, they know me from years, I purchased so many new cars from them and they are nice to me but I always tell them that my cars are tuned. If something breaks because of a tune then I am the one to blame for (I would think).
    I agree about putting yourself in their shoes if you had a company you wouldn’t want to honor repairs to modified products.

    However, How do you know it broke because of the tune though? The stealership will surely claim it was the tune but how do they know for sure? They aren’t doing an investigation into it unless the car wasnt tuned. The tune is the scapegoat because it could be the tune not because it is absolutely the tune. Plenty of people are tuned to higher power levels and don’t have issues. So it’s not always the tune’s fault. Defective parts exist.

    There are manufacturer defect rates for every part on the assembled car. Take for example the hpfp for the n54, the first tuned people were surely denied repairs until enough untuned people had issues and then it turned into a full blown pump recall/replacement.

    The sound logic is and has always been, you must pay to play.




    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

  17. #17
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    May 02 2017
    AZ Member #
    398803
    Location
    Boston,MA

    Quote Originally Posted by thebc View Post
    I second this.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I third this.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Mar 13 2016
    AZ Member #
    370183
    Location
    San Jose, CA

    Round and round we go.

    Anecdotal evidence abounds when it comes to warranty work. It's always been that way. I recall people arguing with dealers back when Magnusen-Moss started to show up on forums.

    As far as VAG, some people claim that their dealer was happy to work on their car regardless of TD1 status. Some people claim that they were fucked across the board. Some people claim that their flashing tune wasn't detectable because it resets a counter, or does a better job at removing itself. Some people have claimed to have their engine replaced for free when it blew up due to poor tuning. Some people ask if new wiper sprayers will get them flagged.

    While I'm not happy about the idea that my dealer might deny coverage because of modifications done to the car, I've never had a dealership, of any make or model, turn me away outright due to modifications. Generally, I've found that service managers empathize and aren't out to fuck me. Sure, I wouldn't expect them to replace my suspension under warranty if I've swapped to coilovers, but I would expect my fuel pump to be replaced if I've, say, flashed to Stage 1. It helps that my service manager has tuned and heavily modified his RS 3. It also helps that I don't go to the dealer for routine service so I don't need to worry about who connected what to whatever.

    You'll drive yourself crazy with speculation. Inform yourself and make the best choices for your situation.

    On that vein, this is a good resource (albeit a few years old): https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7492

  19. #19
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Jun 24 2017
    AZ Member #
    401670
    Location
    Southern California

    Quote Originally Posted by tateltot View Post
    Round and round we go.

    Anecdotal evidence abounds when it comes to warranty work. It's always been that way. I recall people arguing with dealers back when Magnusen-Moss started to show up on forums.

    As far as VAG, some people claim that their dealer was happy to work on their car regardless of TD1 status. Some people claim that they were fucked across the board. Some people claim that their flashing tune wasn't detectable because it resets a counter, or does a better job at removing itself. Some people have claimed to have their engine replaced for free when it blew up due to poor tuning. Some people ask if new wiper sprayers will get them flagged.

    While I'm not happy about the idea that my dealer might deny coverage because of modifications done to the car, I've never had a dealership, of any make or model, turn me away outright due to modifications. Generally, I've found that service managers empathize and aren't out to fuck me. Sure, I wouldn't expect them to replace my suspension under warranty if I've swapped to coilovers, but I would expect my fuel pump to be replaced if I've, say, flashed to Stage 1. It helps that my service manager has tuned and heavily modified his RS 3. It also helps that I don't go to the dealer for routine service so I don't need to worry about who connected what to whatever.

    You'll drive yourself crazy with speculation. Inform yourself and make the best choices for your situation.

    On that vein, this is a good resource (albeit a few years old): https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7492
    I agree with much that you say but your statements only add to the anecdotal evidence as you are just one unconfirmed data point.

    What I am most curious about are cars that are flagged than trade hands. Either to a dealer as a trade or private party in a outright sale without disclosure of the flagged status. As a lawyer I went down the hall and asked another who handles this type of litigation and the answer perplexed me further because of various state provisions.
    The flagging of the cars itself may merit a challenge as they clearly cannot deny what has not yet been claimed without cause but again to flag a car without clearly defined consequences begs the question for future owners both dealer and private parties. Can the car be restored and de-flagged. If that is the case can anyone qualify for that e.g. Someone removes the tune.

    I decided not to tune mine for this very reason. I did not want to face possible issues down the line for liability of disclosure and consequence.

  20. #20
    Active Member Two Rings Jeff_Jeske's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 24 2018
    AZ Member #
    431770
    Location
    Madison WI

    I really think the best approach is to man-up and accept responsibility and risk for modifications you make. As soon as you flash the ECU or TCU you take ownership of any and all related repairs.

    Along with this, if you plan to continue to use the Audi dealership for service, you will want to be upfront with your service manager. I would have a conversation and discuss your reasonable concerns about items failing that aren't related to your mods. In most cases if something fails that isn't directly linked to your mods the dealership will still cover it under warranty.

    Option 2 would be to find a expert level non-dealer Audi shop to perform all future work. Better yet get the manual, read, diagnose and repair whatever you can yourself. For example people with these low pressure fuel pump (LPFP) issues, I'd would be buying and replacing (possibly upgrading) that piece myself rather than wasting time trying to trick the dealership into replacing the part.

    As for purchasing a car that was previously flagged, After putting it thru it's paces on a thorough test drive, I would negotiate the deal of the century and sleep like a baby afterwards. If it's running great odds are it will continue to run great as these things are very solid.
    2018 White TTRS

  21. #21
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Mar 12 2015
    AZ Member #
    319978
    My Garage
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica
    Location
    San Antonio, TX

    This is right on. If you tune, accept responsibility.

  22. #22
    Established Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Nov 06 2017
    AZ Member #
    409460
    Location
    Vancouver

    Quote Originally Posted by Baylorguy View Post
    This is right on. If you tune, accept responsibility.
    Now now don’t be ridiculous

  23. #23
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Mar 12 2015
    AZ Member #
    319978
    My Garage
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica
    Location
    San Antonio, TX

    I know potato, super unreasonable, right?!? :)

  24. #24
    Established Member Four Rings comingabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 03 2018
    AZ Member #
    418157
    Location
    SE

    Quote Originally Posted by Baylorguy View Post
    This is right on. If you tune, accept responsibility.
    You all are missing one critical point.
    Lets say I trade my RS3 for a new Audi, so the next poor soul who buys my car gets TD1'd if the car is scanned, because I 'sampled' Uni's stage 1+ tune?

    So, make sure if you buy a used VW/Audi, get the ECM scanned and cleared not a TD1 qualified auto. That is going to be VAG shooting themselves in the foot.

  25. #25
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Nov 15 2017
    AZ Member #
    409909
    Location
    FL

    Quote Originally Posted by comingabriel View Post
    You all are missing one critical point.
    Lets say I trade my RS3 for a new Audi, so the next poor soul who buys my car gets TD1'd if the car is scanned, because I 'sampled' Uni's stage 1+ tune?

    So, make sure if you buy a used VW/Audi, get the ECM scanned and cleared not a TD1 qualified auto. That is going to be VAG shooting themselves in the foot.
    If buying used and you want to insure a warranty, I would recommend buying a CPO car from an Audi dealer. I was told they have to hook it up and check as part of the CPO process. Even then, it wouldn't hurt to get it scanned again to insure it didn't slip through the cracks

  26. #26
    Established Member Four Rings comingabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 03 2018
    AZ Member #
    418157
    Location
    SE

    Now for why you should never feel sorry for Audi or stealerships.

    My so called friend, an audi tech, was to look at my car for why it feels like the car tramlines and why my MMI has a glitch. Well, he dented my rear qtrs pushing down on the car to test the shocks. says nothing, and says due to rain we can't further inspect why your car drives the way you say. But, we can update your MMI if you like.
    We won't mess with the ECM to prevent a TD1 potential (PSA: All you Unitronic guys, all your warranties are completely gone now, since flashing back to stock is not good enough protection), and he was not to ness with it, but today I get "your car has been TD1'd" after I said (lied) I was told by another tech you got my car TD1'd and did not say anything, wtf?!

    So, a trial stage 1+ tune, which is a modest ~60hp over factory tune will revoke your cars warranty, no matter what, which is BS, since I was assured if I went back to stock I would not have any warranty issues, and dbl bs since it was just a trial and a modest tune with no hardware change, and I feel it was not enough power increase to void a warranty.

    Do I care tbh? No, since any mechanical repair is only done by me.

  27. #27
    Established Member Four Rings comingabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 03 2018
    AZ Member #
    418157
    Location
    SE

    Honestly. Doesn't this message seem a bit odd?!

    HPFP for your car, $441. 07K-127-025D
    Also I checked Elsa and ODIS picked up on your flash during the MMI update and flagged your car TD1.


    Audi Jacksonvile. Where your friendly technician intentionally TD1's your car, when there was no way it could have been TD1'd if the ECM was not thoroughly scanned. MMI is not ECM.

  28. #28
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Jul 13 2018
    AZ Member #
    422362
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada

    I've read Unitronic's comments on TD1 on their website Q&A section, they do not assure anyone they won't get flagged by a tune, even when going back to stock.

    "Unitronic can not make any guarantees regarding "TD1" flagging due to the fact that the OEM may change their logic in the future, causing something that we guarantee today to potentially not be true at a later date. However, based on our experience with our own vehicles and Clients' vehicles throughout the world, reflashing to stock via UniConnect+ is the recommended route."

    No, Unitronic Software does not void your manufacturers warranty simply by having it installed. The Dealership and/or vehicle manufacturer must prove that the part that you are trying to get covered under warranty failed as a DIRECT result of Unitronic Performance Software. Please refer to the Mag-Moss Act for more information regarding this law.

    But I think the statement above is misleading. Mag-Moss concerns denial of warranty when using non-OEM parts that are like for like replacements. I wouldn't want the job of arguing in court that a tune that increases power 20% is "like for like".

    Your experience of being flagged while in for something unrelated just fulfills my fear listed above that Audi will be looking aggressively to deny warranties on these cars.
    2018 Audi RS3 - Ara Blue, Black Optics 12.04 @ 112 mph (stock) - A disappointment in progress
    2006 Mustang GT - Whipple Supercharged 11.69@122 mph

  29. #29
    Established Member Four Rings comingabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 03 2018
    AZ Member #
    418157
    Location
    SE

    Audi got very aggressive recently, and the power is not 20%, since the car did about 440hp stock and 505 tuned. 15% increase is more closely accurate.

    Yeah, not into dealing with court and lawyers, just wanted to raise awareness.
    Plus, my future plans will nuke the warranty bs anyway, since I plan to go bigger turbo.

  30. #30
    Established Member Two Rings Diversion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 28 2017
    AZ Member #
    405867
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL

    Quote Originally Posted by comingabriel View Post
    Honestly. Doesn't this message seem a bit odd?!

    HPFP for your car, $441. 07K-127-025D
    Also I checked Elsa and ODIS picked up on your flash during the MMI update and flagged your car TD1.


    Audi Jacksonvile. Where your friendly technician intentionally TD1's your car, when there was no way it could have been TD1'd if the ECM was not thoroughly scanned. MMI is not ECM.
    Bought my RS3 from Audi Jacksonville.. they told me TD1 or not, they would have to prove the actual ECU tune is what caused any warranty claim.. I don't know if this was just BS in order to try and get me to buy their APR flash or what.. I was never under the impression that being TD1 flagged means they aren't obligated to repair anything that fails on the car at all though.
    2017 Audi RS3 Ara Blue - Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU, Unitronic Stage 2 TCU

  31. #31
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Mar 09 2018
    AZ Member #
    415241
    My Garage
    2018 RS3, 2013 Mazdaspeed3, 2007 Acura TSX
    Location
    San Leandro, CA

    If you have been scanned and TD1 entered in the system then I don't see how the dealer can file for warranty claims. Can TD1 be reversed?
    -

  32. #32
    Established Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Jan 09 2018
    AZ Member #
    412228
    Location
    ny

    Quote Originally Posted by comingabriel View Post
    Now for why you should never feel sorry for Audi or stealerships.

    My so called friend, an audi tech, was to look at my car for why it feels like the car tramlines and why my MMI has a glitch. Well, he dented my rear qtrs pushing down on the car to test the shocks. says nothing, and says due to rain we can't further inspect why your car drives the way you say. But, we can update your MMI if you like.
    We won't mess with the ECM to prevent a TD1 potential (PSA: All you Unitronic guys, all your warranties are completely gone now, since flashing back to stock is not good enough protection), and he was not to ness with it, but today I get "your car has been TD1'd" after I said (lied) I was told by another tech you got my car TD1'd and did not say anything, wtf?!

    So, a trial stage 1+ tune, which is a modest ~60hp over factory tune will revoke your cars warranty, no matter what, which is BS, since I was assured if I went back to stock I would not have any warranty issues, and dbl bs since it was just a trial and a modest tune with no hardware change, and I feel it was not enough power increase to void a warranty.

    Do I care tbh? No, since any mechanical repair is only done by me.
    So, you start a thread warning us that if we have tuned our car, we'll likely get TD1'd because Audi has become more sophisticated in finding tunes.

    You bring your previously tuned car to an Audi dealer.

    You get TD1'd.

    You are pissed off.

    2018 RS3 (Daytona Grey, tech, dynamic, RS design)

  33. #33
    Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings John@Unitronic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 03 2008
    AZ Member #
    84548
    My Garage
    MK3 TTRS
    Location
    Laval, QC

    Quote Originally Posted by comingabriel View Post
    Now for why you should never feel sorry for Audi or stealerships.

    My so called friend, an audi tech, was to look at my car for why it feels like the car tramlines and why my MMI has a glitch. Well, he dented my rear qtrs pushing down on the car to test the shocks. says nothing, and says due to rain we can't further inspect why your car drives the way you say. But, we can update your MMI if you like.
    We won't mess with the ECM to prevent a TD1 potential (PSA: All you Unitronic guys, all your warranties are completely gone now, since flashing back to stock is not good enough protection), and he was not to ness with it, but today I get "your car has been TD1'd" after I said (lied) I was told by another tech you got my car TD1'd and did not say anything, wtf?!

    So, a trial stage 1+ tune, which is a modest ~60hp over factory tune will revoke your cars warranty, no matter what, which is BS, since I was assured if I went back to stock I would not have any warranty issues, and dbl bs since it was just a trial and a modest tune with no hardware change, and I feel it was not enough power increase to void a warranty.

    Do I care tbh? No, since any mechanical repair is only done by me.
    Firstly, I'm very sorry that you had a poor experience at your Audi Dealership; any pictures of the dents on your rear quarter panels? That's insane! As we've stated for quite a while, we can not make any guarantees regarding "TD1" flagging. We've always recommended that the best course of action is to reflash back to stock, as it is our experience that this certainly provides the best likelihood for avoidance. We've had many Clients follow this recommendation, and have reported back to us that there haven't been any traces of getting flagged.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheContrarian View Post
    I've read Unitronic's comments on TD1 on their website Q&A section, they do not assure anyone they won't get flagged by a tune, even when going back to stock.

    "Unitronic can not make any guarantees regarding "TD1" flagging due to the fact that the OEM may change their logic in the future, causing something that we guarantee today to potentially not be true at a later date. However, based on our experience with our own vehicles and Clients' vehicles throughout the world, reflashing to stock via UniConnect+ is the recommended route."
    UNITRONIC — Performance Software & Hardware for your VW® /Audi® / Porsche®
    Web: GetUNITRONIC.com | Tel: (866) 341-2447
    Follow us on: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

  34. #34
    Established Member Four Rings comingabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 03 2018
    AZ Member #
    418157
    Location
    SE

    Quote Originally Posted by PowerStroke View Post
    So, you start a thread warning us that if we have tuned our car, we'll likely get TD1'd because Audi has become more sophisticated in finding tunes.

    You bring your previously tuned car to an Audi dealer.

    You get TD1'd.

    You are pissed off.

    Yeah, they damaged my car.

  35. #35
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Sep 14 2017
    AZ Member #
    406885
    Location
    Northeast



    Sent from my SM-G950U using Audizine mobile app
    2018 Nardo RS3 - Milltek Mids, CTS Intake, CC ECU+TCU, RSe10s - 10.90 @ 129.6mph, full weight
    2016 Mustang GT - Procharged - E85 - 772whp
    2003 Mustang Cobra - Whipple - 640whp

    SOLD
    2012 S4, MK7 GTI, 15 STI, 2013 Boss 302, 03 Cobra, 09 WRX, 04 WRX, etc

  36. #36
    Established Member Four Rings comingabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 03 2018
    AZ Member #
    418157
    Location
    SE

    Quote Originally Posted by Diversion View Post
    Bought my RS3 from Audi Jacksonville.. they told me TD1 or not, they would have to prove the actual ECU tune is what caused any warranty claim.. I don't know if this was just BS in order to try and get me to buy their APR flash or what.. I was never under the impression that being TD1 flagged means they aren't obligated to repair anything that fails on the car at all though.
    You can call audi and find out if there are any negative remarks on your warranty, and re-read the APR form, you not only will not have Audi fix any drivetrain issues, but I was told by the service manager at Audi Jacksonville on Atlantic Blvd that he has yet to see one claim to APR being paid. My TD1 occured because dipshit looked into my ECM for an Update knowing (have proof) that would TD1 the car, and knowing I was flashed and not to do anything that will risk my warranty. Now, if you want to go trade your car at audi, they will ELSA check the vin and see the td1 and knock down hard your trade in price. Maybe why you may have seen some cheaper 2018 RS3's for sale online. He did it thinking I was going to trade in for ttrs, and hoping to score it cheap, but that is my "assumption." I would now go and trade it in for a another brand instead, if I find something else I like, so that stealership will never see or have my car. I will fix the minor dents, using paintless dent repair/service.

  37. #37
    Established Member Four Rings comingabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 03 2018
    AZ Member #
    418157
    Location
    SE

    Quote Originally Posted by Venumous View Post


    Sent from my SM-G950U using Audizine mobile app
    What is so funny....?!
    I can post pics of the damage.
    Let me dent up your car, see how funny it will be then.

    How old are you with such a moronic screen name?

  38. #38
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 16 2015
    AZ Member #
    363015
    Location
    mid-atl

    Just to be clear, your Unitronic was in fact flashed back to stock image and you were automatically TD1'd (at first it looked like you were depending on their word about not plugging in so wasn't sure you bothered to go back to stock). Or maybe you've been stock awhile, I can't remember if you're the guy who got a refund from Unitronic or something.

    Anyway, I agree that really is a game changer if true.

  39. #39
    Established Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Nov 06 2017
    AZ Member #
    409460
    Location
    Vancouver

    The whole "dealer has to prove the modification caused the failure" argument is such a crock of shit.

    Here's how this goes in the real world:

    1) Car is tuned
    2) Something breaks
    3) Customer walks into the dealer all smug knowing the MM act exists because he read about it on the forums fifty times
    4) Dealer says sorry, car is tuned, not covered
    5) Customer says you have to prove that it caused the failure
    6) Dealer says, not right here and now we don't. If you would like to go to spend a few thousand bucks to take us to court in eighteen months and take on our lawyers and have us prove it to a judge who is 99% not likely to be a gearhead and will not understand any of the inner workings of the file other than the words "modification beyond factory specs," be our guest.
    7) Dealer also will not release the car until it is either fixed and paid for, or until diagnostics are paid and then you still have a broken ass car

    MM exists so dealers can't monopolize things like fluid, service, filters etc. It doesn't exist to give people ammunition to modify things and then still have warranty cover it.

  40. #40
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Jun 24 2018
    AZ Member #
    421233
    My Garage
    Audi Q7 / Jeep '12 JKU
    Location
    Birmingham

    Quote Originally Posted by Potatohead_RS3 View Post
    The whole "dealer has to prove the modification caused the failure" argument is such a crock of shit.

    Here's how this goes in the real world:

    1) Car is tuned
    2) Something breaks
    3) Customer walks into the dealer all smug knowing the MM act exists because he read about it on the forums fifty times
    4) Dealer says sorry, car is tuned, not covered
    5) Customer says you have to prove that it caused the failure
    6) Dealer says, not right here and now we don't. If you would like to go to spend a few thousand bucks to take us to court in eighteen months and take on our lawyers and have us prove it to a judge who is 99% not likely to be a gearhead and will not understand any of the inner workings of the file other than the words "modification beyond factory specs," be our guest.
    7) Dealer also will not release the car until it is either fixed and paid for, or until diagnostics are paid and then you still have a broken ass car
    I mean, I'd present it differently just to be nice, lol, but this is EXACTLY how I review that scenario in my head when I decided to tune...

    Life's so much less stressful for me when I set appropriate expectations...

    Thats for the tune, but the dents and stuff, that's not cool...

    AP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2019 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.