Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

CPO paint issues

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I purchased a 2014 S5 Cabriolet CPO coming up on 2 years ago. It had a clean Carfax as supplied by the dealer. When I looked at it on the lot, the hood and bumper looked to be slightly different in color but I chalked it up to the lighting. The hood, bumper and front end paint was flawless. Shortly after owning it I had the bumper cover off to change the grille and saw writing inside the cover like a recycle yard inventory marking, some overspray and trim screws missing. This confirmed it had been repaired and repainted.

Very quickly the front end bumper, hood and fenders accumulated a lot of rock chips. I have owned a number of cars and this amount in a short time was abnormal and indicative of poor paint. I brought this to the dealers attention after a year. They claimed no knowledge of the repair and that rock chips were normal. I disagreed and eventually they agreed to paint the cover only. They would not assume repair of the hood. The hood and fenders continued to chip and recently paint began to peel in large patches. I brought it back to the dealer and the Sales Manager had an Audi rep look at it. He said it was obviously not Audi paint and Audi would not warranty. I am waiting for the dealer to determine it they will cover the hood repair.

I love the car but I am so heart broken looking at the front end and very disappointed that I purchased a CPO and the condition of the body was not to be considered. Is not there a determination by the dealer to verify if the vehicle has been repaired before being sold as a CPO? I thought the paint looked off and should have asked on the lot. A trained technician's eye inspecting the car with the CPO check list should have been able to see the repaired condition.

If there is anything you can do with this, I would appreciate any correspondence.

Audi Customer Experience Three Rings Audi USA's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Neil F View Post
    I purchased a 2014 S5 Cabriolet CPO coming up on 2 years ago. It had a clean Carfax as supplied by the dealer. When I looked at it on the lot, the hood and bumper looked to be slightly different in color but I chalked it up to the lighting. The hood, bumper and front end paint was flawless. Shortly after owning it I had the bumper cover off to change the grille and saw writing inside the cover like a recycle yard inventory marking, some overspray and trim screws missing. This confirmed it had been repaired and repainted.

Very quickly the front end bumper, hood and fenders accumulated a lot of rock chips. I have owned a number of cars and this amount in a short time was abnormal and indicative of poor paint. I brought this to the dealers attention after a year. They claimed no knowledge of the repair and that rock chips were normal. I disagreed and eventually they agreed to paint the cover only. They would not assume repair of the hood. The hood and fenders continued to chip and recently paint began to peel in large patches. I brought it back to the dealer and the Sales Manager had an Audi rep look at it. He said it was obviously not Audi paint and Audi would not warranty. I am waiting for the dealer to determine it they will cover the hood repair.

I love the car but I am so heart broken looking at the front end and very disappointed that I purchased a CPO and the condition of the body was not to be considered. Is not there a determination by the dealer to verify if the vehicle has been repaired before being sold as a CPO? I thought the paint looked off and should have asked on the lot. A trained technician's eye inspecting the car with the CPO check list should have been able to see the repaired condition.

If there is anything you can do with this, I would appreciate any correspondence.
    Hello Neil,

I am very sorry to learn about this experience, I can only imagine the frustration and disappointment that it has caused you. You are correct, the vehicle does have to meet certain criteria to be listed as an Audi CPO vehicle: https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...ecklist-V2.pdf.

If you'd like, I can gather some additional information on the situation and determine if there are any opportunities available for Audi of America to assist. Please keep in mind that as you purchased the vehicle from that specific dealership, they are the primary conduit in terms of a resolution. Please feel free to PM me, I am more than happy to open up a review on your behalf.

Thank you,
    Vincenzo F.

Audi Social Community Manager

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Audi S5 & 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee

that sucks bro. But honestly, if the accident is never reported there is no way to know whether or not the car was repaired/re-painted. Could of been wrecked and then repaired out of pocket or done themselves.

Senior Member Three Rings delz05's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Volcano Red S5 Cabriolet, 93 Mustang 5.0

Similar issue... but with a NEW 2017 A6 Comp package... this past May, 2018, for my wife. Did not notice the lousy paintwork on the right side prior to delivery. Brought it back to the dealer 2 days later.
    Turns out a salesman "borrowed" the car, crashed it... paid for repairs at a shop known for crappy work, and tried to claim innocence. Camera and video footage confirmed guilt. Dealer tried to have the
    damage repaired properly, but it never met my standards, so they took the car back, giving me full credit towards a new Q5.
    Family comes First!.... Nice cars a close second.

2017 SQ5 Ibis White, Black Optics P+ with Tech, Nappa, 21" wheels, Milltek exhaust, EPL Stage 2... more to come
    And for topless Summer fun... 2013 Volcano Red S5 Cabriolet Prestige, Black Optics Grill, Rear Valance, Tint, Unitronics Stage 3 with DP and TCU, IE Down Pipes... doesn't get any better!
    2018 Manhattan Grey Q5 Premium Plus with Nav, Hot & Cold packages, 20" wheels, B/O sound... wifey's new ride

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Yea I SHOULD have questioned it on the lot. The dealer did not flag some other things. When I test drive the car and pressed the fob the convert top went down. I did not think that was factory at the time and the dealer should have known it was not. Later that feature stopped working then finally the top stopped working. Took it in and they found a smart top module. The wheels had been refinished by a service and the clear coat started peeling on all of them