Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Unitronic ECU / TCU

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Can anyone with a unitronic tune share their experience? Ecu and Tcu? Any dynos or 1/4 mile times? Daily driving experience? What you like / hate about it? Mainly leaning toward it due to the Uniconnect flash at home

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Veteran Member Three Rings s4nicetry's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I have Unitronic stage 2 ecu and tcu and couldn't be happier. Well, stage 3 will make me happier. Communication with them has been great when I had questions about the tunes. I've chatted a lot with John Staffi, their Tech Director there who is quite knowledgable and good to deal with. The only issue I came across after installing my tune was at the top of third gear in "S" mode I was hitting the limiter a split second before it shift to fourth. I conveyed this issue to Unitronic and they gave me a list of blocks they wanted me to log for them showing the issue, so I did. I sent it back with a brief description of what was going on and and the next day John got back to me with a revised file that functioned perfectly.

While chatting with John I requested a lower rpm launch setting so he sent me back a file with two separate launch settings. Full throttle without the kickdown was altered to 3000rpm and WOT plus the kickdown was made to be 3600rpm, very cool. I'll have to wait until spring to get any Dragy results since there's a couple feet of snow and its ~-15F here right now. It is very strong though, logs look good and healthy. The tcu tune is night and day compared to stock. It's so fast and smooth now, it's near impossible to feel gear changes up or down while driving and is very reactive in manual mode, changing gears very quickly while going up or down, so much difference, I love it.

From the sounds of everyone else this tune is far superior to EPL's for this platform and besides the ability to change files with the stalk and having to do it with your laptop, it offers everything that APR's tune does for a great price. I would use it again and again without hesitation.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I owned a s4 APR stage 2 with dual pulleys and recently got a 2016 s6 and was wondering how is APR's tune compared to unitronic and EPL.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by s4nicetry View Post
    I have Unitronic stage 2 ecu and tcu and couldn't be happier. Well, stage 3 will make me happier. Communication with them has been great when I had questions about the tunes. I've chatted a lot with John Staffi, their Tech Director there who is quite knowledgable and good to deal with. The only issue I came across after installing my tune was at the top of third gear in "S" mode I was hitting the limiter a split second before it shift to fourth. I conveyed this issue to Unitronic and they gave me a list of blocks they wanted me to log for them showing the issue, so I did. I sent it back with a brief description of what was going on and and the next day John got back to me with a revised file that functioned perfectly.

While chatting with John I requested a lower rpm launch setting so he sent me back a file with two separate launch settings. Full throttle without the kickdown was altered to 3000rpm and WOT plus the kickdown was made to be 3600rpm, very cool. I'll have to wait until spring to get any Dragy results since there's a couple feet of snow and its ~-15F here right now. It is very strong though, logs look good and healthy. The tcu tune is night and day compared to stock. It's so fast and smooth now, it's near impossible to feel gear changes up or down while driving and is very reactive in manual mode, changing gears very quickly while going up or down, so much difference, I love it.

From the sounds of everyone else this tune is far superior to EPL's for this platform and besides the ability to change files with the stalk and having to do it with your laptop, it offers everything that APR's tune does for a great price. I would use it again and again without hesitation.
    Great info. Were they able to turn off the rear o2 sensors for you running stage 2?

AZ Member #

Yes, no codes for rear O2's

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Did you try Stage 1 first and transition to Stage 2? If so, what difference did Stage 2 have over Stage 1.

AZ Member #

I went right to stage 2 file but have loaded the stage 1 file when no 94 was around. Their stage 1 is 91oct, 1+,2 and 2+ files are 93oct. Definitely more pull with stage 2 file than with stage 1, but the octane difference would cause a lot of that. Not really an apples to apples comparison.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by s4nicetry View Post
    I went right to stage 2 file but have loaded the stage 1 file when no 94 was around. Their stage 1 is 91oct, 1+,2 and 2+ files are 93oct. Definitely more pull with stage 2 file than with stage 1, but the octane difference would cause a lot of that. Not really an apples to apples comparison.
    Did you have downpipes?

AZ Member #

I do now

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

So you were running Stage 2 without downpipes at some point? How did it feel with stock downpipes?

AZ Member #

Felt fine, no issues. Stage 1 RS6's and 7's use the same dp's and put out some good numbers so I wasn't too worried. Catless DP's feel a bit punchier for sure around the powerband but the crap weather here has kept me from really exploring the added power much anyways.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 MDX Advance pkg, a workbench

Do they have a stg 3 (ie. RS turbo) tune?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -------
    2014 S6 - Stage 3, AMS downpipes with custom exhaust
    2013 S4 - Dual Pulley e85 - sold

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Hofahome View Post

They do

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Hofahome View Post

Yes, they call it Stage 2+

https://www.getunitronic.com/ecu-tun...013-stage2plus

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 MDX Advance pkg, a workbench

Cool thx guys

-------
    2014 S6 - Stage 3, AMS downpipes with custom exhaust
    2013 S4 - Dual Pulley e85 - sold

AZ Member #

I've had the stage 1 tune 93 octane. Really enjoying it. Ran an 11.8 @116.29 with a 1.8 60ft If I cut it down I feel I could get it even lower.
    2016 S6
    2013 A6 3.0T Sold