Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Camshaft position sensor/timing chain issue

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I have a 2008 A4 3.2 with 143k miles and during the extreme cold a couple of weeks back in Minnesota, the engine started making this ticking sound on start. The rough idle/ticking went away after a couple of minutes and once the car was warm. This happened a couple of times before I got a CEL. The Autozone scanners showed a misfire on cylinders 1, 2 and 3 and camshaft position sensor B issue and exhaust camshaft position timing (both on bank 1). A local shop told me it could be the timing chain issue, they haven't run full diagnosis on the car yet, just looked at the codes. This job could cost me between 6 - 7k! Before I have them take the engine apart, I first wanted to try replacing the camshaft position sensor on Bank 1 and see if the misfire would go away and whether the car will regain it's full power to the minimum. Now, I am trying to locate where this sensor is and for the life of me I cannot locate it!. Also, if it is a timing chain issue what the verdict out there on getting this fixed? This isn't a cheap job and wouldn't it be better to get a used engine with low miles and replace it?

Established Member Two Rings OliNix's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Aprilia Dorsoduro 750 Factory

Pretty sure it is on the back of the RH head. There is only 1 sensor I believe.

Sounds like a tensioner problem, not operating properly in the very cold. Along with possibly stretched chains. If you use oe Audi parts the chains and tensioners are ~$1000 then you have to drop the Powertrain, spit the engine and transmission. Remove the covers, replace the chains, retime and reassemble. If someone said $2000 I would believe them as itís a pig of a job. 6-7k sounds like someone just doesnít want to do it. Get some more quotes!

Senior Member Four Rings tloft4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

isnt bank 1 cyl 1,3,5 and 2 is 2,4,6? or not on audis

Established Member Two Rings OliNix's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Aprilia Dorsoduro 750 Factory

Yes that is the definition of bank 1 and 2. But I donít think there are 2 sensors, only 1. I could be wrong though. I know this is the case on the 3.0 TDI

Established Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Why would you buy a used engine and put it in there instead of just replacing the chains and tensioners?

YOUR motor has to come out either way so that labor will be the same. A chain kit costs way less than a used motor. Youíre overthinking this by a lot 😀

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Lol...you tend overthink when mechanics scare you with their quotes😀

Veteran Member Three Rings a4lownslow's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Audi A4 2.0T

Youíd be fine to replace the upper timing chain tensioner on bank 1. Dealt with this a few times on the A4/a6 3.2. Both doable engine in the car.

Iím sure you already know this but the car isnít worth 6-7k running, so it wouldnít make sense to have a shop do that work.

If youíre interested in selling Iíd take it off your hands. Iím just east of Minneapolis.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine