Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: Key Fobs

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Key Fobs

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I have an 2018 Audi A6. How does the car know who is in the driver's seat if both key fobs are in

Audi Customer Experience Three Rings Audi USA's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by wdanioels47 View Post
    I have an 2018 Audi A6. How does the car know who is in the driver's seat if both key fobs are in
    Hello,

Thank you for reaching out in regard to this specific question. I am more than happy to take a look into this matter for you, are you able to send me a PM with your VIN and contact information? I may have to engage some additional technical resources but I certainly appreciate the opportunity to do so.

Thank you!
    Vincenzo F.

Audi Social Community Manager

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 Legacy GT (Stage 2+ VF52) / 1996 Camaro Z28

I've noticed that it doesn't really know - pretty sure it's distance based - but also seems to rely on any inputs and locks in that Key as 1st come/1st Serve.... So if the door is opened by the passenger with a key nearby it picks up that key 1st - even though the driver may also be standing right outside the driver side door but has not yet hit the unlock....

If car is already open it seems to capture closer key most of the time - although I also think key signal strength is battery dependent - so a low battery seems to lose out as well....

Worst case - make sure to setup the memory settings for both keys and all it takes is a button press on entry if it picked the wrong key.
    2012 Moonlight Blue Metallic S4 | Premium + | DSG | 19" Peelers |Sports Diff | MMI w/Nav | B&O Audio | Advanced Key |
    After-Market Add-Ons: Rallitek Aluminum Paddles | USP LED Interior Lighting | Phillips Xtreme +50% Headlight Bulbs
    Performance Upgrades: Stoptech Cryo Slotted Rotors with Porterfield R4-S Pads | Tires = Michelin Pilot 4S (255/35/19)