Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

P0322 code in A4 B7

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi all!

I was recently going home with my gf, and she was driving my Audi for the first time (yes, that is the sign of love). At one point, I felt the engine not exactly stall, but out of the corner of my eye, the tach dropped about 300rpm and then returned to normal cruising speed. CEL lit up. I noticed that when we eventually came to a stop, the idle RPM was ~1100, compared to the usual 800rpm. This morning, didn't have time to investigate, but it was back to idling at ~800rpm. Scanned for codes and got P0322 - Ignition/Distributor Engine Speed Input Circuit No Signal.

I searched the forums and saw people with this code but usually with many other problems. This is just an isolated 1 code incident. No real stalling (the engine stalled slightly when the CEL first came on and tach dropped, but it was smooth sailing all the way home and this morning). I have been having rough idle over the past few 10ks mile, but I'm at 156k miles, and I hear that rough idling on the 2.0T at this stage isn't a huge cause for concern and probably isn't related.

Other threads with this problem (+ other codes and issues) had people replacing the crankshaft position sensor. Seems like a cheap enough fix, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had thoughts on this. Thanks :)

Senior Member Four Rings Theiceman's Avatar
    AZ Member #

id get that sensor replaced asap.. bit of a pain behind the oil filter housing but get it done... if that thing fails you are stuck at the side of the road, you rarely get that warning when these go out. mine died at 290K.
    2014 A4 2.0TQ Technik
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Theiceman View Post
    id get that sensor replaced asap.. bit of a pain behind the oil filter housing but get it done... if that thing fails you are stuck at the side of the road, you rarely get that warning when these go out. mine died at 290K.
    Just placed the order! Oddly enough, I need to change the oil. Will having the oil filter out make the job much easier? I saw a video of someone replacing it, and they basically were all sorts of contorting themselves to get around the filter housing and trying to do it from above. Hoping being able to do it from below and without the filter in might help.

AZ Member #

I got it done from above ... but my back was sore for a couple days..
    2014 A4 2.0TQ Technik
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Theiceman View Post
    I got it done from above ... but my back was sore for a couple days..
    I legit worry that I'm too short to do this from above . I can barely reach the bottom of the oil filter housing from above.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by pengwuino View Post
    I legit worry that I'm too short to do this from above . I can barely reach the bottom of the oil filter housing from above.
    me too ... I'm only 5'7" so I have my 6'1" son change the filter..
    2014 A4 2.0TQ Technik
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

Established Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

When you swap it out check the electrical connector for oil or coolant mess. Being so close to the oil filter housing gets that connector covered in mess if you have a leaking oil filter housing like many of us do or have had in the past.

It would be a good idea to clean the connector out with electrical cleaner spray when you swap in the new sensor.
    2005.5 A4 Avant: JHM K04R, GIAC K04 tune, RS4 PRV, RS4 fuel pump controller, Treadstone TR6 intercooler core with JHM pipe kit, CTS Turbo test pipe, ECS Tuning snub mount, 034 street tranny mount, 034 street motor mounts, ECS Tuning turbo inlet pipe, ECS Tuning RA4 clutch conversion, Billy Boat Stealth cat back, Fluidampr