Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Need guidance on Avant purchase

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello,

Hoping to get your take on my internal debate between two cars.
    My family's lease on our Acura MDX is ending and we are looking to get into a cheaper a wagon with a cheaper monthly payment. It's currently between two different Avants, 2006 S4 Avant and 2010 A6 3.0T Avant. I'm looking to find a vehicle for less than 10K and less than 150K miles on the clock. I like the A6 as it is bigger and the 3.0T engine is great. I used to have an 2015 S4 with the same engine, I really like how responsive and tuneable it is. The con for the A6 is that I don't totally love the styling (looks a little dated) and I'm not finding a lot of them either. On the other hand we have the S4 with a V8. I have never driven it but it looks fun. It seems more agile by being smaller vehicle. The cons would be that I would worry about the maintenance costs and maybe the size of it with a family of four with two dogs. Is there another option that I'm missing? I'm open to Mercedes and BMW's if it's a fun car to drive.

Look forward to hearing your inputs.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 Boxster S 550 SE

The 2006 avant. Check the third brake light for rust. My hatch around the brake light is the only rust issue I have. I have the 2.0t so I canít speak to drive train otherwise my car is great.

Sent from my iPad using Audizine
    2004 Boxster S SE, 2006 Audi A4 Avant 2.0 Quattro

Established Member Two Rings 11A6's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Not sure the size of your kids or dogs but that could be really tight in the S4. I've had a used 11 A6 for just over a year. We are also a family of four - - my teenage sons are 6/1 and 6/2 & growing - wife and I are 5/10 and 5/7 (evidently the height genes skipped us!). We can fit comfortably but from my long legged son's perspective the rear seats are low/lack thigh support. The BMW 3 series wagons are even smaller.

The A6 is definitely not going to be as tossable due to size.weight but likely to be more comfortable. While the V8 is great the supercharged 6 is more than enough in nearly all situations without some of the drawbacks & gets better mileage than the S4. Also I know some will want to kill me for saying it but the V8 is still a nose heavy car (just with a lot of power!) so tossable is a relative term.

I ended up with the Audi because in my research the BMW 535 engine has some serious problems (even though it was my first choice because they can be had with a manual). The 11 mercedes 350 wagon I was shopping had more features (massaging seats, night view, larger sunroof etc) . While it drove well all those extras just seemed like even more things to go wrong plus @ same year/same mileage it was 20% more than the Audi. I would say that the A6 sits in a sweet spot right between the more sporty BMW and more luxurious Mercedes. I don't regret my decision at all.
    2011 A6 Avant Prestige w/CWP 1/20

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

I have had both. Currently, I own a 2009 A6 Avant.

While I enjoyed (really loved) the S4 avant and the sound it makes, at the end of the day, I was only a @300 whp in a pretty heavy car and had about every bolt on JHM made. I left the platform based on maintenance cost and limited modding potential. It is debatable on whether I regret it. On some days I lust over S4 Avant for sale adds. However, I won't ever own one again.

Now as for the 3.0t wagon. That car will be in my garage for a while. I have even contemplating buying a second since they are so hard to find (a spare wagon so to speak). bottomline: there isn't anything on the market which offers that many smile per $$$ and has the space. Both my wife and I love the car. There are not that many options for tuning and that particular platform but the supercharger provides adequate thrills in stock form. I am stage one now and will get stage II next time the bumper has to come off for service.

Size: the s4 is too small for a family. You can make it work if you have too but normal sized adults, kids and car seats space becomes limited. If you had a GTI or something of that nature it will feel huge but it isn't that big in reality. The A6 is a nice step (probably similar to MDX regarding size) but if you have a carseat facing backward, the front passenger seat gets pushed so far forward it can be used but will be uncomfortable for a 6' passenger. With that said, my wife and I have taken trips with 90lb german shepherd, car top carrier and two kids (one in a booster and one in a forward facing seat with pretty good success.
    '09 A6 Avant 3.0T
    '68 Firebird (7.5L)

Sold
    '95 S6 Avant 20VT
    '75 VW bug 'the peoples' 1.6L (Sold)
    '06 S4 Avant (Sold)
    '98 BMW M3 (Sold)

Established Member Two Rings gt854t5's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8 Avant Prestige; W211 E500 Designo

IMO, your best choice is the A6 Avant...based on your $10k budget and space needs. You may have to do a nationwide search in certain locations to find one...i.e: CT/ NY/ CA/ MA/ CO areas. If that doesn't pan out, I would recommend a 2011-12 B8 Avant. Prices should be within your budget and it will have more updated goodies than C6. Also, mods is plentiful and reasonable on prices...you will be at 300HP quite easy.
    Good luck with your search..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    '09 B8 Avant Prestige/Dark Beige/RS4 Grille/aFe filter/ECS Intake-hose/SS Lines & Slotted rotors/Red Coils/S5 split-spoke 19s/LED Interior kit/TTRS FBSW/B8.5 shifter/VAG-Com mods.....TBC

Senior Member Three Rings CONative's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 S4 Avant 6MT, '03 Subaru Outback

Not apples to apples but I own a B7 S4 Avant and a B8 A4 Avant. For someone with a family and looking for a cheaper monthly payment, I would go with the A6 with the 3.0T. Unless the S4 has had the timing work done, you may end up with a hefty repair bill down the road. Granted the A6 might look a bit dated and hard to find but you have reliability with either a 3.0T or 3.2 and a larger wagon. Audi seems to have figured out the V6ís but canít figure out the 4 or 8-cylinder engines (IMO). The 2.7, 3.0 and 3.2 donít nearly have as many issues as the 2.0 and 4.2.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Cheers,
    Ry-man

AZ Member #

Thanks for all your inputs, I really appreciate it. It seems the consensus are pointing toward the A6 wagon, which is where I was headed as well. It seems if we are looking to replace our SUV, the A6 is a more comparable from a cabin and cargo perspective. The 3.0T engine is really a must for me as I really like how you can easily increase the power and that the power is linear and immediate (no lag). Our current lease doesn't end for another five months so I have time to wait for the right deal. I am searching nationwide using all the car sites as well as Auto tempest for craigslist.
    I used to own a B8 Avant so I wouldn't go back to that although I really liked it. There's just something special about six cylinder engines.