Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings Leozbian's Avatar
    AZ Member #

B7 Audi Cylinder head questions

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey guys, my other thread seemed to die,
    So Iíve been doing a rebuild, my chain tensioner completely broke and my engine overheated at the same time,

Anyways,
    I got my head re-done by machine shop, new seals, valves relapped, pretty much everything and my head is ďbrand newĒ.

The shop didnít put the head back in time but thatís okay Iím pretty sure they donít need to anyway.

Since I am not some kind of mechanic, I have questions on how I can do everything I need to.

My first question:
    To put my cams back in time, can I take off the cam tray and turn them to TDC by hand? Is this going to mess with the way the valves work? I know that some of them should be open.

Second question: To reseal my cam tray, I saw a thread about a sealer that most people use, but now I canít find it, all I know the brand was called ďElring DirkoĒ?

Third question: Can I use some assembly grease where the cams lay in the grooves to make sure they donít shave off? Iím only asking because my original head I took to the machine shop they told me that the grooves are really jagged and rough and told me I might have an oil pump issue.

Lastly, when I get the cylinder head back together with the chain installed, etc, will I be able to turn the crankshaft bolt without resistance? Do i need spark plugs in for that?
    When I tried to turn the old head I had hard resistance and couldnít turn it to check how valves are opening, etc.
    Last edited by Leozbian; 02-10-2019 at 02:13 PM.

Established Member Two Rings A_Karl's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 A4 stage 3

When you put the cams in they have to be timed together by the chain. There is a tool that lines up the cams. Once you know they are timed, you can install the cam tray. To seal it I use high heat RTV with copper in it. I know itís not the manual recommended stuff but it works. Just clean the surface with brake cleaner before you put it on.

Once your cam tray is installed and the timing tool fits, it should be at TDC and you shouldnít have to move the cams when you install the head. Double check your cam gear with the cover mark.
    And yes use assembly lube on the cam bearings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Established Member Two Rings jtoribio6954's Avatar
    AZ Member #

The tool that aligns the cams is not exact! Be careful when doing this, the tool can fit if itís a tooth off. This has happened to people before. One tooth isnít going to make pistons and valves meet though, itís just going to make you re do it. IMG_0451.jpg
    This pic shows cylinder 4, use this as a guide to see how your lobes should look. If you are one tooth off itíll look very different compared to the picture. Also Iíd use the green sealant for the cam ladder. Itís an oem sealant that is used on the b7ís from factory.

AZ Member #

B7 Audi Cylinder head questions

Quote Originally Posted by jtoribio6954 View Post
    The tool that aligns the cams is not exact! Be careful when doing this, the tool can fit if itís a tooth off. This has happened to people before. One tooth isnít going to make pistons and valves meet though, itís just going to make you re do it. IMG_0451.jpg
    This pic shows cylinder 4, use this as a guide to see how your lobes should look. If you are one tooth off itíll look very different compared to the picture. Also Iíd use the green sealant for the cam ladder. Itís an oem sealant that is used on the b7ís from factory.
    That tool is great and everything, Iím just wondering if I can get away without using it (donít have it) I know the approximate TDC, and I know that copper link goes on one tooth of the cam adjuster, and then the 9-10th link on the other sprocket with the dot.

Can I get away without using the tool if my camshaft chain marks are spot on?

Iíll get some Audi sealant, but I might go with anaerobic victor reinz though, pretty much the same thing, only cures with oxygen/aluminum contact etc.

Do certain valves have to be open once I get the head back together?

2 of my intake valves on cylinder 2 were open and 2 of my exhaust valves on cylinder 3 were also open upon removal of head, do I have to replicate this during reinstall?

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #

Dumb question, how many seals are there on the camshafts? I got 3 in my kit and I canít figure out where the other two go. I know the small round one goes on intake cam and the bigger one on exhaust cam.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine