Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '13 S5, '03 Z06, '96 Mustang GT Convertible

Question Will 20x10.5 ET27 w/ 285/30/20 work on S5?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Lining up a deal on a b8.5 S5 but because it has summer tires on 19Ē peelers and Iím Northern climate with snow on the ground trying to line up some quick wheel & tire options.

I have a line on 20x10.5 ET27 wheels. I donít want tires to looked stretched so Iím thinking 285/30/20. I am looking at the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 tires. Not a snow tire but good all season tire with decent snow traction. Iíve read on here that some run 275/30/20, I just donít want to look stretched.

The car has ADS and is stock height. Will these 10.5Ē wide wheels with ET27 offset rub front or rear? Will they poke out too much in the front? Will I want to run a small spacer in the rear for best appearance? Will they look okay with stock height for now? Being north climate tough to lower too much as need some clearance. If I decide to go with a mild or adjustable lowering spring in the future will these still be a good selection that will avoid rubbing? Thanks in advance for the help.

Veteran Member Four Rings A6sport's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A8L, A7plus stage II A6 PES SC, A5 APR stage III, TT APR stage I

What's your point? That wheel/tire combination might fit, but why! IMHO it's not the right combo.

Just one man's opinion.
    2012 A7Plus Stage II+
    2013 A8L
    2010 A5 2.0T k04 Stage III
    2002 TT 225 Roadster APR Stage I
    1998 A6 2.8 PES SC

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by A6sport View Post
    What's your point? That wheel/tire combination might fit, but why! IMHO it's not the right combo.

Just one man's opinion.
    My point is that I will be traveling to southern climate to pick up this car and will have to put some A/S or winter tires on it for the trip back. I could stay with stock rims and get a new set of 255/35/19 tires and put on. But if I can pull together a more optimal wheel that I would be happy with for awhile then I could do that and buy the A/S tires now for the new wheels and avoid buying a set for the stock wheels just for the trip back.

What in your opinion is the right combo?
    Last edited by olympic; 02-03-2019 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Fixed autocorrect word

Veteran Member Four Rings Hippiekiller's Avatar
    AZ Member #

The 275/30/20 would be a better fit. 285's are a hair taller and you'll get a bit of rubbing if you hit a decent pothole or bump. 275's really don't have much of a stretched look on that size wheel. It might be different with the DWS, but with PSS' you can't tell 275's from 285's on the wheel. I have ran both and would take the 275's every time. The +27mm offset should fit pretty well. Generally somewhere between +25-30mm depending on wheel works and fits pretty flush. Look through the wheel pic thread and you'll see.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hippiekiller View Post
    The 275/30/20 would be a better fit. 285's are a hair taller and you'll get a bit of rubbing if you hit a decent pothole or bump. 275's really don't have much of a stretched look on that size wheel. It might be different with the DWS, but with PSS' you can't tell 275's from 285's on the wheel. I have ran both and would take the 275's every time. The +27mm offset should fit pretty well. Generally somewhere between +25-30mm depending on wheel works and fits pretty flush. Look through the wheel pic thread and you'll see.
    Thanks. Yeah been looking through the thread. I was thinking since stock ride height that the 285/30/20 might be better since a tad taller helping fill the wheel wells a bit more. I wasn't sure if 10.5 et27 would rub or poke out on the front. It looks pretty close from examples I've seen. I'll continue to see if I can find some examples of this setup.

Veteran Member Four Rings Hippiekiller's Avatar
    AZ Member #

285's will throw your speedo off by a couple of mph, keep that in mind. As far as filling the wheel gap, I can't say it's that big of a difference. The +27mm is all going to depend on the wheel. I have ran anywhere from +25-30mm offset and it really all just depends on the wheel. Should be good without rubbing and should be flush, but I can't say 100% for sure.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hippiekiller View Post
    285's will throw your speedo off by a couple of mph, keep that in mind. As far as filling the wheel gap, I can't say it's that big of a difference. The +27mm is all going to depend on the wheel. I have ran anywhere from +25-30mm offset and it really all just depends on the wheel. Should be good without rubbing and should be flush, but I can't say 100% for sure.
    Okay thanks. One wheel I'm considering is the Niche Targa M130.

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Mops@Nemesis's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '19 SQ5 / '19 RS5 SB

10.5 at stock height is not a good idea no matter the tire size. The front is going to poke, and the overall look just isn't great. If you plan to remain at stock height for a while, I'd look for a 20x10. Here is 20x10 ET25 on 275 at stock height.

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...port-275-30-20

Honestly, a 20x10 ET30 would be PERFECT. And you can run a 275 and have a meaty look. Have a look at the V-FF 105 and V-FF 110. They come in this spec. Not the correct car, but here is what that fit would look like -

I ran tons of 20x10.5 on 275 setups on my car, but I'm lowered a good bit, so the look isn't correct.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/919992...57668716345878
    034Motorsport | ABT | Advan | AG | Akrapovič | AWE | BBS | BC Forged | Brembo | Capristo | Deval | Forgeline | H&R | KW | Milltek | OZ | Rotiform | Sparco | Stoptech | TSW | Unitronic | Volk | Vorsteiner | Work | and many more

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

MOPS, thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I have seen a lot of your pics on the forum as the S5 I'm purchasing is Ice Silver. I appreciate your thoughts on what will look best. I won't be lowered initially so trying to find something that looks good for awhile at stock height but gives me the option to lower in the future. I'll take a look at the wheels you suggested. I just had a good deal offered to me on the brand new black Targa Niche in 20x10.5 so was trying to see if those would work. On a short timeline here so will keep my options open and look at your recommendations. thanks!

Established Member Two Rings Hey_T_S5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I am running 20x11 on 285/30/20 Conti DWS....lowered about an inch and so far only rubbing on those crazy big speed bumps!! Thereís still a little bit of stretch but not as much as the 275 on 20x10.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '19 SQ5 / '19 RS5 SB

Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    MOPS, thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I have seen a lot of your pics on the forum as the S5 I'm purchasing is Ice Silver. I appreciate your thoughts on what will look best. I won't be lowered initially so trying to find something that looks good for awhile at stock height but gives me the option to lower in the future. I'll take a look at the wheels you suggested. I just had a good deal offered to me on the brand new black Targa Niche in 20x10.5 so was trying to see if those would work. On a short timeline here so will keep my options open and look at your recommendations. thanks!
    Oh! I love the Ice Silver S5's!

The V-FF 105 in Carbon would look fanatic, and be MUCH lighter and stronger too.

Also know you can go with the KW HAS kit. That kit was initially designed just for ADS damps, and they're height adjustable. So you could drop it ~15mm for now and then drop it further later.
    034Motorsport | ABT | Advan | AG | Akrapovič | AWE | BBS | BC Forged | Brembo | Capristo | Deval | Forgeline | H&R | KW | Milltek | OZ | Rotiform | Sparco | Stoptech | TSW | Unitronic | Volk | Vorsteiner | Work | and many more

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hey_T_S5 View Post
    I am running 20x11 on 285/30/20 Conti DWS....lowered about an inch and so far only rubbing on those crazy big speed bumps!! Thereís still a little bit of stretch but not as much as the 275 on 20x10.5.
    Do you happen to have any pics of the front so I can see how much those poke out?

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mops@Nemesis View Post
    Oh! I love the Ice Silver S5's!

The V-FF 105 in Carbon would look fanatic, and be MUCH lighter and stronger too.

Also know you can go with the KW HAS kit. That kit was initially designed just for ADS damps, and they're height adjustable. So you could drop it ~15mm for now and then drop it further later.
    Yeah looking at the KW HAS kit. That will probably be the way I go but that might not be until summer or later so want to make sure what I get looks as good as possible for now knowing that I plan to drop slightly eventually. Those V-FF 105 do look good. I just have to decide how much $ I want to spend here right out of the gates on wheels/tires. I understand those are a stronger, lighter wheel. I also have to decide whether to go with a gunmetal type of color (or carbon as you mentioned) or black for the wheels.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '19 SQ5 / '19 RS5 SB

Yeah looking at the KW HAS kit. That will probably be the way I go but that might not be until summer or later so want to make sure what I get looks as good as possible for now knowing that I plan to drop slightly eventually. Those V-FF 105 do look good. I just have to decide how much $ I want to spend here right out of the gates on wheels/tires. I understand those are a stronger, lighter wheel. I also have to decide whether to go with a gunmetal type of color (or carbon as you mentioned) or black for the wheels.
    I've spent a good half hour this evening looking for the pic you need lol. Here is pretty much what you'll look like at stock height on 275...

Here is a 20x10 ET30 V-FF on 275....

Here is that 105 on silver ....

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

I've spent a good half hour this evening looking for the pic you need lol. Here is pretty much what you'll look like at stock height on 275...

Here is that 105 on silver ....

Thanks for taking the time to search those out! That stock ride help pic helps me know what to expect. I really like the 105 on silver. What color are those 105's? Also any idea how much lower than stock it is in that pic? I can't go too low up here in the northern climate with snow. The red calipers do add a nice accent.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '19 SQ5 / '19 RS5 SB

Thanks for taking the time to search those out! That stock ride help pic helps me know what to expect. I really like the 105 on silver. What color are those 105's? Also any idea how much lower than stock it is in that pic? I can't go too low up here in the northern climate with snow. The red calipers do add a nice accent.
    You're welcome my man! The game has my email in ghost town mode, so I'm having fun looking around the forum seeing if I can assist.

Those are Carbon Graphite. It's a very dark grey in semi-gloss. Here is an accurate pic of the color on my SQ5...

The silver car is dropped ~30mm.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

You're welcome my man! The game has my email in ghost town mode, so I'm having fun looking around the forum seeing if I can assist.

Those are Carbon Graphite. It's a very dark grey in semi-gloss. Here is an accurate pic of the color on my SQ5...

The silver car is dropped ~30mm.
    Yeah I'm multi-tasking hah watching the game and checking out wheels. Yeah I'm liking the way those 105 carbons look with the silver.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '19 SQ5 / '19 RS5 SB

Yeah I'm multi-tasking hah watching the game and checking out wheels. Yeah I'm liking the way those 105 carbons look with the silver.
    Enjoy your evening! Let me know if I can assist further. We can keep chatting here... others will benefit. 👍🏼

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

Enjoy your evening! Let me know if I can assist further. We can keep chatting here... others will benefit. 👍🏼
    You too and thank you again for your time and expertise!

AZ Member #

Do you happen to have any pics of the front so I can see how much those poke out?
    Check out this thread....my ride is the one at the end. A bit of poke on the front but perfectly flushed on the back.
    20x11" ET28 wheel Poke?
    https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=660606

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hey_T_S5 View Post
    Check out this thread....my ride is the one at the end. A bit of poke on the front but perfectly flushed on the back.
    20x11" ET28 wheel Poke?
    https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=660606

That is helpful. So if you are running 20x11 with et28 that would be 5mm more "poke" than a 20x10.5 et27 with same tires, if my math is correct. If you are poking by 7mm that means the 20x10.5 et27 with same 285/30/20 would poke on the fronts by 2mm with same tires.

Veteran Member Four Rings UkuRiSh's Avatar
    AZ Member #

My car lowered H&R Niche M152 Vicenza 20x10.5 5x112 +27mm Tires Pirelli p zero 285/30/20 sometimes rub rear tires on bumps 275 would do better

2013 AUDI S5 Stage 3 J-Fonz 545whp/490wtq / 10.45@134.78 by Dragy < Press @svarog_edition < last test updates

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UkuRiSh View Post
    My car lowered H&R Niche M152 Vicenza 20x10.5 5x112 +27mm Tires Pirelli p zero 285/30/20 sometimes rub rear tires on bumps 275 would do better

Looks great! How far are you dropped on the H&Rs? It doesn't look like you're poking much in the front, is that right? I like the way the 285/30/20 tires look on the 10.5 rims. I will need to compare tread widths to see how wide the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 run at 275 and 285 vs some of the other tires I'm seeing people run.

Lots of good info from everyone...keep it coming. Thanks!

Veteran Member Four Rings UkuRiSh's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Looks great! How far are you dropped on the H&Rs? It doesn't look like you're poking much in the front, is that right? I like the way the 285/30/20 tires look on the 10.5 rims. I will need to compare tread widths to see how wide the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 run at 275 and 285 vs some of the other tires I'm seeing people run.

Lots of good info from everyone...keep it coming. Thanks!
    I have about 1/2Ē or 3/4Ē gap between tires and corner of the fender. Rear wheels is perfect flash and front out poke out a bit from the fender 1/8Ē or little more from the fender but I have 4mm spacer to clear my 6pot Brembo from Audi S7! That means front ET is E23. I have winter tires now on thouse rims 275 Dunlop 3d performance works perfect no rubbing at all
    2013 AUDI S5 Stage 3 J-Fonz 545whp/490wtq / 10.45@134.78 by Dragy < Press @svarog_edition < last test updates

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UkuRiSh View Post
    I have about 1/2Ē or 3/4Ē gap between tires and corner of the fender. Rear wheels is perfect flash and front out poke out a bit from the fender 1/8Ē or little more from the fender but I have 4mm spacer to clear my 6pot Brembo from Audi S7! That means front ET is E23. I have winter tires now on thouse rims 275 Dunlop 3d performance works perfect no rubbing at all
    That info is helpful thank you.

AZ Member #

That is helpful. So if you are running 20x11 with et28 that would be 5mm more "poke" than a 20x10.5 et27 with same tires, if my math is correct. If you are poking by 7mm that means the 20x10.5 et27 with same 285/30/20 would poke on the fronts by 2mm with same tires.
    Sounds about right!! The 20x10.5 is going to give you plenty or clearance so you donít have to worry too much about wheel poke. There are plenty of people here running 20x10.5 on 285 rubber with no issues (trust me I looked at all wheel and tire combos when I was planning my winter set up)
    The 275 30/20 is the more common set up with 20-inch rims, thatís what I run for my summer set up and the stretch is noticeable, but it isnít bad.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

After some amount of research (and factoring in pricing) I decided to go with 20x10 wheels with ET35 offset and am wrapping those in 285/30/20 Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 tires. I would have preferred ET30 or ET25 for the wheels but got a good deal on the wheels and will run small spacers for now while at stock ride height. Hopefully by this summer I will be able to do a mild drop with KW HAS springs and then can adjust spacing as needed. Really appreciate the advice and feedback from everyone.
    Last edited by olympic; 02-06-2019 at 08:40 AM.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

I want to shout out a special thank you to MOPS who spent a ton of time with me via PM answering questions. Really appreciate it MOPS!

Active Member One Ring thesmoothman's Avatar
    AZ Member #

After some amount of research (and factoring in pricing) I decided to go with 20x10 wheels with ET35 offset and am wrapping those in 285/30/20 Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 tires. I would have preferred ET30 or ET25 for the wheels but got a good deal on the wheels and will run small spacers for now while at stock ride height. Hopefully by this summer I will be able to do a mild drop with KW HAS springs and then can adjust spacing as needed. Really appreciate the advice and feedback from everyone.
    Sweet...please post a pic when you get the wheels/tires put on! I want to see how it looks on stock ADS ride height and spacers before you lower it. Thanks!

'12 B8 S5: Phantom Black Pearl | 6MT | Sports Diff | B&O | MMI | RS5 Grille

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by thesmoothman View Post
    Sweet...please post a pic when you get the wheels/tires put on! I want to see how it looks on stock ADS ride height and spacers before you lower it. Thanks!
    Will do. Will be about two weeks.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Audi S5

I have HRE FF01's on Nitto G2 NT555 tires. They are 285/30/20. Here is a picture with stock height and one with ST Coilovers
    Attached Images
    2013 Audi S5 35%Tint, HRE FF01 20x10.5, Nitto NT555 285/30/20, APR Stage 1 Tune, Image Dynamics ID Max 10, Arc Audio XDI 1100.1 Amp, ST Coilovers

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

Here are three quick shots showing the car shortly after having the wheels/tires put on. This is at stock ADS ride height with 20x10 ET35 Avant Garde m310 wheels (3mm front / 5mm rear spacers making it effectively ET32 front and ET30 rear). Tires are 285/30/20 Continental Extremecontact DWS06. Thanks to all who provided guidance and feedback.
    audi3.jpg audi2.jpg audi1.jpg

Active Member One Ring thesmoothman's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Here are three quick shots showing the car shortly after having the wheels/tires put on. This is at stock ADS ride height with 20x10 ET35 Avant Garde m310 wheels (3mm front / 5mm rear spacers making it effectively ET32 front and ET30 rear). Tires are 285/30/20 Continental Extremecontact DWS06. Thanks to all who provided guidance and feedback.
    audi3.jpg audi2.jpg audi1.jpg
    Looks good, thanks a lot! This really helps me as I had the same questions you did.

'12 B8 S5: Phantom Black Pearl | 6MT | Sports Diff | B&O | MMI | RS5 Grille

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by thesmoothman View Post
    Looks good, thanks a lot! This really helps me as I had the same questions you did.
    No problem. If you need any more shots or have questions I might be able to answer just let me know.