Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings christianb5s4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

C6.5 Headlight/Foglight Upgrades

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I've been combing through the forums trying to get a concensus on simple ways to upgrade the adaptive headlights and fog lights for my C6.5 and haven't found a whole lot of definitive information. Everything is bone stock on the car and the lighting output leaves a lot to be desired, especially the headlights.

What bulbs have you have had good success with? I'm thinking of getting the LED Deautokey H11 foglight bulbs but am not sure what the best option for upgrading the headlight bulbs are. Does anyone have a recommendation?
    Imola 2001 Stage 3 S4: 314K - 156mph 1/2 mile - Completely Refreshed/Built BEL Motor - SRM K24s w/ Custom Turbosmart wastegates - Ringer Racing 4+ - Etspec - Cinesnow WG/Oil Lines - SRM V3 Intercoolers - AA built trans - 4:1 Diff - JHM Trio - 034 - H&R Coilovers - FCP - Bosch Motorsports - OZ Racing - SRM/SSAC exhaust - Tons of New OEM parts

2009 C6.5 A6 3.0T Prestige - stock, daily driver

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

I agree with you. Our lighting plain sucks lol. JP2007 has his projector retrofit project going when he has the time to get to it. But that's a long term project of his. He's switching out the original cloudy projector lenses for some clear ones... along with a switchback LED DRL upgrade.

I've been rocking Morimoto XB35 5500k for 3 years now. Better than the old Phillips of unknown age that were in there prior (remember unlike halogens, HIDs dim with age). I know these bulbs could throw down more light but the OE projectors are holding them back.

In the fogs I'm running Nokya 2500k H7s and they have worked great. But I popped my left bulb by accident when I was removing the bumper this weekend, so now I'm researching into doing an LED upgrade if I could figure out how to mount the bulb and seal it with the fan hanging out back.

While we're in the subject of lighting upgrade, I HIGHLY recommend to everyone to switch out the useless OE reverse bulbs. I'm runing deAutoLED reverse LEDs and I can see when backing up! The OE halogen bulbs were about as useful as two matches
    07 A6 3.2- Out & In- Morimoto 5500k & Nokya 2500k, DeAutoLED Reverse, LP, & Footwells, Ziza Full Interior, 10" lo-pro Pioneer, Audi Aluminum Pedals
    Drivetrain & Suspension- Stoptech X-Drilled & Sport Pads, ST X-Coilovers, Hacked Airbox with aFe, Resonator Delete

"What is best in life? -Kill your enemies. See them driven before you. And hear the lamentation of their women" Conan the Barbarian

Senior Member Three Rings dluxxx's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

I have the deautoled fog lights w/ the white and yellow switchable leds. They work GREAT!!! Recommend them to everyone. You do have to add a resistor but they can provide you with a easy plug and play resistor.
    2010 A6 C6.5 3.0T, Remus Mufflers w/ Quad tips, Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe, RocEuro Intake, EPL Stage 1, Transparent Gloss Copper Verde Axis V99 20x9, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 265/30, Bilstein P14 PSS Coilover, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Ultra Racing Front Lower Brace, Ultra Racing Center Lower Brace, RS6 Black Gloss Grill, Rear diffuser, Black Vinyl window trim, Smoked Rear Tailights, Complete Interior LED Lights, Blacked out front sidemarkers, Morimoto 5000k D3S bulbs, SB3 Alpha Ceramic Coating.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 95blkmax View Post
    I agree with you. Our lighting plain sucks lol. JP2007 has his projector retrofit project going when he has the time to get to it. But that's a long term project of his. He's switching out the original cloudy projector lenses for some clear ones... along with a switchback LED DRL upgrade.

I've been rocking Morimoto XB35 5500k for 3 years now. Better than the old Phillips of unknown age that were in there prior (remember unlike halogens, HIDs dim with age). I know these bulbs could throw down more light but the OE projectors are holding them back.

In the fogs I'm running Nokya 2500k H7s and they have worked great. But I popped my left bulb by accident when I was removing the bumper this weekend, so now I'm researching into doing an LED upgrade if I could figure out how to mount the bulb and seal it with the fan hanging out back.

While we're in the subject of lighting upgrade, I HIGHLY recommend to everyone to switch out the useless OE reverse bulbs. I'm runing deAutoLED reverse LEDs and I can see when backing up! The OE halogen bulbs were about as useful as two matches
    I totally agree on the reverse lights, heck even LED license plate bulbs throw more light than the reverse lights lol.

Going off the assumption the HIDs in the car are original to the car, did the Morimotos at least help? Do you have a link to the kit?

Quote Originally Posted by dluxxx View Post
    I have the deautoled fog lights w/ the white and yellow switchable leds. They work GREAT!!! Recommend them to everyone. You do have to add a resistor but they can provide you with a easy plug and play resistor.
    I'm highly considering those, the ones for our fogs (we have the same bumper/fog lights) are the H11s correct? How did you create space for those bulbs in the stock fog light housing?
    Imola 2001 Stage 3 S4: 314K - 156mph 1/2 mile - Completely Refreshed/Built BEL Motor - SRM K24s w/ Custom Turbosmart wastegates - Ringer Racing 4+ - Etspec - Cinesnow WG/Oil Lines - SRM V3 Intercoolers - AA built trans - 4:1 Diff - JHM Trio - 034 - H&R Coilovers - FCP - Bosch Motorsports - OZ Racing - SRM/SSAC exhaust - Tons of New OEM parts

Established Member Two Rings Kriskrk's Avatar
    AZ Member #

If I remember correctly, @T8ups was running Morimoto's with D2S's in one thread.
    They are burning quicker but much brighter.
    He's got a website with all them lighting options and is also a site sponsor here.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Audi A6 C6 4F 170 Sline 2.0 Avant LeMans in Grey
    Stage 1 remap with EGR off and DPF gutted, partly dechromed with blacked out RS honeycomb grille, standard 19" LeMans RS4 type wheels (deu to change), full led interior, upgraded Osram CBI bulbs, fog's power led's with heat sinks.
    More to come

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by christianb5s4 View Post
    I totally agree on the reverse lights, heck even LED license plate bulbs throw more light than the reverse lights lol.

Going off the assumption the HIDs in the car are original to the car, did the Morimotos at least help? Do you have a link to the kit?

So true, lol. I have to look away from the trunk when I open it at night because the license plate LEDs blind me lol...

I would assume they were original as well. At the time I changed them they were about 9yrs old. It was a big difference. Significantly brighter than previously. I know that Osram and Philips both make some models that put out much higher lumens than the Morimotos I got, but they come at 3-4x the cost. Perhaps one day I'll do that but honestly I can't justify spending that much to upgrade from my Morimotos when I know that the cloudy projector lenses are dulling the output. Morimotos or not, I wouldn't be using the bulbs to their full potential with our projectors lenses.

I got my Morimotos from The Retrofit Source. They have a YouTube channel full of comparisons among LEDs, HIDs, halogens, comparing LED Vs Halogen, Vs HID, etc... So you can learn a lot on there. They do a pretty good job at comparing products as close to apples to apple
    07 A6 3.2- Out & In- Morimoto 5500k & Nokya 2500k, DeAutoLED Reverse, LP, & Footwells, Ziza Full Interior, 10" lo-pro Pioneer, Audi Aluminum Pedals
    Drivetrain & Suspension- Stoptech X-Drilled & Sport Pads, ST X-Coilovers, Hacked Airbox with aFe, Resonator Delete

"What is best in life? -Kill your enemies. See them driven before you. And hear the lamentation of their women" Conan the Barbarian

Senior Member Three Rings dluxxx's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

I'm highly considering those, the ones for our fogs (we have the same bumper/fog lights) are the H11s correct? How did you create space for those bulbs in the stock fog light housing?
    I used a Dremel to shave off some of the plastic that was in the way of the bulbs.
    2010 A6 C6.5 3.0T, Remus Mufflers w/ Quad tips, Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe, RocEuro Intake, EPL Stage 1, Transparent Gloss Copper Verde Axis V99 20x9, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 265/30, Bilstein P14 PSS Coilover, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Ultra Racing Front Lower Brace, Ultra Racing Center Lower Brace, RS6 Black Gloss Grill, Rear diffuser, Black Vinyl window trim, Smoked Rear Tailights, Complete Interior LED Lights, Blacked out front sidemarkers, Morimoto 5000k D3S bulbs, SB3 Alpha Ceramic Coating.

AZ Member #

So true, lol. I have to look away from the trunk when I open it at night because the license plate LEDs blind me lol...

I would assume they were original as well. At the time I changed them they were about 9yrs old. It was a big difference. Significantly brighter than previously. I know that Osram and Philips both make some models that put out much higher lumens than the Morimotos I got, but they come at 3-4x the cost. Perhaps one day I'll do that but honestly I can't justify spending that much to upgrade from my Morimotos when I know that the cloudy projector lenses are dulling the output. Morimotos or not, I wouldn't be using the bulbs to their full potential with our projectors lenses.

I got my Morimotos from The Retrofit Source. They have a YouTube channel full of comparisons among LEDs, HIDs, halogens, comparing LED Vs Halogen, Vs HID, etc... So you can learn a lot on there. They do a pretty good job at comparing products as close to apples to apple
    These are the bulbs that Retrofit Source tested as the kings of D3S bulbs in terms of light output, the Phillips Xtreme Vision gen2, just ordered them.

Quote Originally Posted by dluxxx View Post
    I used a Dremel to shave off some of the plastic that was in the way of the bulbs.
    But the plastic cover fits and seals after the trimming correct?
    Last edited by christianb5s4; 01-29-2019 at 06:57 PM.

AZ Member #

So, I decided I was gonna go ahead and do my own upgrade and refurbishment. I SHOULD be able to begin towards the end of the month. I started gathering parts. I got LED DRLs (Thank you DeKeyAutoLED), a hot knife, JB Weld, new solder iron & solder, and heat shrink (for the one broken cable causing my AFS warning). I'm ordering the new projectors assemblies tonight (CLEAR LENSES!).

Im going to take my time with it so I will likely do one headlight one weekend, and the other headlight the following weekend (pending weather and work schedule). I also want to do this with my current Morimoto D2Ss just because I want to see the difference between the OE foggy lense and the new Hella clear lense. Once both headlights are done I'll decide if I want to bite the bullet and get the same Phillips that ChristianB5S4 ordered.

Hang tight! Good stuff coming this way!

Senior Member Two Rings B. Rock's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    91 CQ

Hell I didn't think they were all that bad, but most of our other cars have been 80s and 90s era with halogens. Do you have to pull the bumper to get access to the bulbs?
    13 SHO
    09 A6 Avant 3.0t
    96 FZJ80
    95 UrS6 (RS2'd)
    82 TDI Adventurewagen

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by B. Rock View Post
    Hell I didn't think they were all that bad, but most of our other cars have been 80s and 90s era with halogens. Do you have to pull the bumper to get access to the bulbs?
    when I replaced my old bulbs with my Morimotos, I was able to do it through the top in the engine bay. I did have to remove the airbox to get clear access into the passenger HL. The driver isn't as intense but for ease of working in there I did unbolt the clamp that holds the P/S reservoir in place so I could move it out enough to get my big monkey hands in there comfortably.
    Since then, i have discovered that apparently the front parts of my inner fender liners have removable access plates for what I ASSUME is meant to access the back of the HLs... but I've yet to attempt this

Veteran Member Three Rings Quattro 4 Life's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '64 Pontiac Catalina, '01 Mastercraft Prostar 190

^^the access cover in the wheel well liner is for the turn signals I think.

I just picked up some OSRAM 66340CBI-HCB for my headlights and have also wanted to upgrade the fog lights to look closer to the LEDs/Headlights, so I grabbed a pair of OSRAM 62211CBB-HCB.

Anyone with experience with these fogs? They claim a 5000k color temp.
    2007 Ibis White B7 A4 Avant 3.2QM Titanium - 1 of 2
    2011 Quartz Grey C6.5 A6 3.0T Prestige
    Past
    2000 Silver C5 A6 2.7TQM
    1999 Laser Red B5 A4 1.8TQM PC-16

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Quattro 4 Life View Post
    ^^the access cover in the wheel well liner is for the turn signals I think.

I just picked up some OSRAM 66340CBI-HCB for my headlights and have also wanted to upgrade the fog lights to look closer to the LEDs/Headlights, so I grabbed a pair of OSRAM 62211CBB-HCB.

Anyone with experience with these fogs? They claim a 5000k color temp.
    Thanks for the clarification!

I'm curious to see what those fogs will look like. Pictures please!

AZ Member #

Definitely keep us posted 95! I'm definitely upgrading the fog light bulbs.

Quick update after having some time to experience the Phillips Xtreme Vision gen2 and let them break in. Needless to say, in real world driving the light output is significantly better than the old Osrams. Light coverage is even and makes the headlights more than adequate compared to before when output was what I'd consider poor.

That said, I don't believe there's much further improvement with the stock headlights without getting into swapping projectors/lenses. Could be wrong but I couldn't find anyone who has upgraded the lens in the adaptive C6.5 headlights yet.

AZ Member #

Definitely keep us posted 95! I'm definitely upgrading the fog light bulbs.

Quick update after having some time to experience the Phillips Xtreme Vision gen2 and let them break in. Needless to say, in real world driving the light output is significantly better than the old Osrams. Light coverage is even and makes the headlights more than adequate compared to before when output was what I'd consider poor.

That said, I don't believe there's much further improvement with the stock headlights without getting into swapping projectors/lenses. Could be wrong but I couldn't find anyone who has upgraded the lens in the adaptive C6.5 headlights yet.
    I've replaced oem ones with Osram CBI's and noticed difference in light output right away. After they settled in and 2 years in use, think they lost some performance or I just got used to them.

Was considering Phillips Xtreme Xision before change but first gen and for some reason chosen Osrams.
    Now, considering gen.2 again but only if there's significant improvement in light output. If you say there is an improvement, would like to see comparison, if possible.
    Also, do you think the colour temperature is whiter than stock, gen.1 or Osrams?

Stage 1 remap with EGR off and DPF gutted, partly dechromed with blacked out RS honeycomb grille, standard 19" LeMans RS4 type wheels (deu to change), full led interior, upgraded Osram CBI bulbs, fog's power led's with heat sinks.
    More to come

AZ Member #

I don't have equipment to test light output, only my own visual interpretation. The color temperature is slightly cooler but definitely under 5K, and my personal opinion is light output is at least 50% brighter than before. Who knows how old the bulbs are that were in the car and as we know, bulbs degrade over time.

I haven't tried the non Gen2 so I'm not sure how much better the Gen2 is over those.

AZ Member #

I don't have equipment to test light output, only my own visual interpretation. The color temperature is slightly cooler but definitely under 5K, and my personal opinion is light output is at least 50% brighter than before. Who knows how old the bulbs are that were in the car and as we know, bulbs degrade over time.

I haven't tried the non Gen2 so I'm not sure how much better the Gen2 is over those.
    Visual comparison is good enough.

What bulbs were you changing, oem ones or aftermarket?

Will check what CBI were in temperature when new but they have definetly gone off now, after 2 years of use.

More to come

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Kriskrk View Post
    I've replaced oem ones with Osram CBI's and noticed difference in light output right away. After they settled in and 2 years in use, think they lost some performance or I just got used to them.

Was considering Phillips Xtreme Xision before change but first gen and for some reason chosen Osrams.
    Now, considering gen.2 again but only if there's significant improvement in light output. If you say there is an improvement, would like to see comparison, if possible.
    Also, do you think the colour temperature is whiter than stock, gen.1 or Osrams?

This should answer your questions --> https://youtu.be/WtLKpf_IYTs

AZ Member #

Thank you.
    Difference in the video is our stock head lamp, no?
    Still, good results of light output readings.

More to come

AZ Member #

This is the exact video I watched before I decided to order the Xtreme Vision Gen2. The Osram CBB finished close in their tests, I'm not sure we'd notice a 20 lux difference on our cars.

AZ Member #

This is the exact video I watched before I decided to order the Xtreme Vision Gen2. The Osram CBB finished close in their tests, I'm not sure we'd notice a 20 lux difference on our cars.
    But temperature difference We should notice

More to come

AZ Member #

It's definitely slightly cooler in color than stock 4300K, the Xtreme Vision Gen2 are rated at 4700K and to my eyes is definitely cooler of a color than stock.

AZ Member #

It's definitely slightly cooler in color than stock 4300K, the Xtreme Vision Gen2 are rated at 4700K and to my eyes is definitely cooler of a color than stock.
    Thank you for confirming that.

Do you guys think anything better for light output and beam range can be acheved in our stock lamps?

More to come

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Kriskrk View Post
    Thank you for confirming that.

Do you guys think anything better for light output and beam range can be acheved in our stock lamps?

Not really . Besides getting the best HID bulbs in the industry like Christian did, the only other thing you can do to ensure optimal output from the stock housing is to keep the front lenses polished clean.

Do any of you guys have experience with headlight protective films? I know 3M and a bunch of others have them but I've never used them myself. Would be nice to wrap up my project and protect the lenses after either replacing them or polishing the originals (still researching this aspect of my project)

AZ Member #

My next project is to remove my headlights and sand them down then polish and use real clearcoat to keep them from fading again. Another option is you can use ceramic coatings like ones used on paint as those can be equally effective as clearcoat and is obviously much easier.

AZ Member #

Found a good comparison between the Xtreme Vision Gen2 and the latest Osram Nightbreaker bulbs.

AZ Member #

After some time to let the new bulbs burn in and have more driving time to provide my feedback, I figured I'd provide an update.

The light output is drastically better than the old bulbs. Low beams are now what I'd consider on part with other factory HID systems (but not encroaching on the better OEM headlights out there), and the highbeams are the biggest improvement by far. Visually I'd estimate at least 50% more light output. The Phillips were not cheap but I think they are well worth it and short of upgrading projectors, is the best our factory lights will perform all other things standard.

AZ Member #

After some time to let the new bulbs burn in and have more driving time to provide my feedback, I figured I'd provide an update.

The light output is drastically better than the old bulbs. Low beams are now what I'd consider on part with other factory HID systems (but not encroaching on the better OEM headlights out there), and the highbeams are the biggest improvement by far. Visually I'd estimate at least 50% more light output. The Phillips were not cheap but I think they are well worth it and short of upgrading projectors, is the best our factory lights will perform all other things standard.
    niiiice!! Good to hear this! It just makes me more excited about my project! Like I said, I want to see a before and after projector swap of my Morimoto's output. But I'd be lying to myself if I didn't want to do this AND get those Phillips you're rocking lol.

I got all the parts and equipment needed except for the main one- the projectors lol My dumb a$s typed the shipping address so fast that I missed a digit on the street address. It was supposed to get in today. I fixed it with UPS so I SHOULD get em tomorrow (fingers crossed). At this point I'm looking at doing this the weekend of Fri Mar 1st.

AZ Member #

I just wish the adaptive C6.5 headlights were easier to mod, but hey at least upgrading bulbs makes them bearable!

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

This is good to hear. I have the Philips XV bulbs on the way and hope they drastically improve the HID high beam output. I'm to the point where I hold the flash to pass lever back as high beams because the halogens are so much brighter.
    2009 A6 Avant Phantom Black Pearl / Amaretto Black Interior BONE STOCK