Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Established Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    My gut tells me this is an ECU problem. Why else would you have had those ignition coil driver faults from your first post?

And yes, heat really screws with circuits so it makes sense to me that the car would run fine at first and change when warmed up.

Also keep in mind that multiple reflashes can even brick an ECU entirely so if your car has been flashed multiple times, you can fuck up an ECU like yours is behaving.

We thought we fried my coil drivers when I went from JHM to GIAC. It turned out to be a clogged or failed injector but I was only getting misfires on cylinder 2. No communication issues or driver fault codes and a new S3 injector solved it.
    2005.5 A4 Avant: JHM K04R, GIAC K04 tune, RS4 PRV, RS4 fuel pump controller, Treadstone TR6 intercooler core with JHM pipe kit, CTS Turbo test pipe, ECS Tuning snub mount, 034 street tranny mount, 034 street motor mounts, ECS Tuning turbo inlet pipe, ECS Tuning RA4 clutch conversion, Billy Boat Stealth cat back, Fluidampr

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

What i'm saying is that the problem happens regardless if engine is warm. It seems to be timer related. i.e. 40 minutes with key on and engine off and the car goes haywire.

Maybe the ECU starts up some processes around then?

If I pull an ECU from a junk yard / ebay, do I need to do things to it before putting into my car? i.e. something I can do myself, or do I need to get a shop involved?

Established Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Maybe the ECU is getting too hot after that amount of time is what Iím saying. Iím not talking about outside temp or how warmed up the engine is. 😀

Electronics get hot when they run for a long period of time and that heat can make them not run properly. Itís why most components have fans or heat sinks of some sort if they can.

My gut says bad ECU.
    Last edited by EvolutionArmory; 02-04-2019 at 12:03 PM.
    2005.5 A4 Avant: JHM K04R, GIAC K04 tune, RS4 PRV, RS4 fuel pump controller, Treadstone TR6 intercooler core with JHM pipe kit, CTS Turbo test pipe, ECS Tuning snub mount, 034 street tranny mount, 034 street motor mounts, ECS Tuning turbo inlet pipe, ECS Tuning RA4 clutch conversion, Billy Boat Stealth cat back, Fluidampr

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Looks like I misspoke - I wasn't able to make it dance by leaving the key on (engine off) for 45 minutes. i.e. car has been sitting for 5-6 hours.

I am able to reproduce it if the car has been running for some time, but still operating OK. i.e. Drive for 20 minutes, stop and turn off car. Leave key on until 45 minute mark and bingo, electrical dance.

so what the hell runs at the 45 min mark? some readiness tests or something?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12