Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Weight saving on rs7/s7/a7

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I have a stage 2 2015 rs7 with drc. I think powerwise my car is tapped out, well at least without spending major $$$$ on bigger turbos and such. So I'm trying to see if I can improve cooling issues and drop some weight. Now I'm curious if anyone actually weighted any components from our cars to see how much do the actually weight. For daily driving my car will stay intact but I do want to take it back to 1/4 with some weight removed and see how well it would respond to lighter weight. My idea is to remove complete back seat, pass seat, spare tire/tools, subwoofer box.... I'm trying to think what else would be easy plug n play removal. Again, this is more of a max effort 1/4 mile pass, obviously everything will go back on the car once it's back home. Shouldn't be hard to remove/install.

What are your thoughts/knowledge?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Audizine mobile app

Established Member Two Rings MolonLabe300's Avatar
    AZ Member #

A approximate rule of thumb is every 100lb removed will decrease your 1/4 time by a tenth. So you will have to remove much more than what you listed to see great results. If I am wrong someone please correct me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Audizine mobile app
    13 S6 APR S2, Milltek turbo back, roc-euro, AMG coolant pump.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 SQ5

Removing sub box and spare would be easy enough. Removing seats may not be worth the effort unless perhaps you have already perfected your driving ability and snap off consistent 10.4's already and are trying to eek out your buddy at the track.
    2015 S6 Quartz Gray
    Black, Carbon, Night, Cold, DA, ACC, VCDS lowered, 034 Trans mounts, EuroCode Alu-Kreuz, APR Stage I (91) & TCU, Rohana RF2 20x9, 11.660@114.83 (4615lbs.)
    2014 SQ5 Glacier White
    Black Nappa, Carbon, B&O, NAV, 21's, stock 13.527@102.11 (4615lbs.)

2012 S4 S-Tronic Monsoon Gray, Stage II 12.868@107.8 (4275lbs.)
    2008 A6 3.2Q S-Line Daytona Gray
    2007 A4 2.0T S-Line Ice Silver
    2001 S4 Nogaro Blue, Stage I 14.746@95.29 (3944lbs.)

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by gk1 View Post
    Removing sub box and spare would be easy enough. Removing seats may not be worth the effort unless perhaps you have already perfected your driving ability and snap off consistent 10.4's already and are trying to eek out your buddy at the track.
    10.53 is what I've got so far, that's with a stock air box and air filter. I tried removing air box and running open air filter, I picked up .1 in a 1/8 mile compared to stock box. So I'm trying to squeeze every little bit out of it and see if I can get 10.3 pass out of it

Veteran Member Four Rings Dasquade's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Not sure if the RS7 backseat construction is the same as S6, but the backside (the part where you lean against) is actually pretty heavy (20-30kg?). The part where you sit on is very light as it is just foam...for what it is worth ;).
    Might want to go lightweight wheels and more sticky tires for track use only.
    Current S6 C7 avant 2013: estoril | ceramics | JD engineering stage 2 | LightVan no backseats | Milltek non-res valved X pipe | 034 trans-diff mount |CETE ASCv2 & EVC | FL tails & dynamic mirror signals | Thermo ZO coated catless DP | Custom HX cooler | RS6 c6 matt gunmetal 20" wheels | custom spoiler sideskirts diffuser | Maxton front lip | Armor heatshielded mani-turbo-dp | B&O led lens tweeters (replica) | Forge boost hoses | FIS mmi gauges
    In dev: R8GT steeringwheel | CWA100-3

Established Member Three Rings IowaRS7's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    69 Camaro SS

Light weight battery, Carbon Ceramic brakes, lighter 20 in wheels, stickier tires, remove seating, definitely improve cooling setup, SRM intake, practice launching to get 60ft down to 1.5X mark, run 104oct fuel and make sure fuel has been run enough to allow ECU to adjust, possibly TCU tune

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRS7 View Post
    Light weight battery, Carbon Ceramic brakes, lighter 20 in wheels, stickier tires, remove seating, definitely improve cooling setup, SRM intake, practice launching to get 60ft down to 1.5X mark, run 104oct fuel and make sure fuel has been run enough to allow ECU to adjust, possibly TCU tune
    I'm not going to do anything with a battery, o did lightweight battery on my gt500 and it was a nightmare. Audi is stuffed with electronics so I'm not touching factory battery. Carbon ceramic brakes are too much money so that's a no no for now. 20" wheels would be something I'm going to do down the road, it would be nice to get 1.5 60ft out of it. I do run 104 at the track and usually fill up a car with it about 10-15 miles away from the track

Established Member Two Rings nvygw171's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Corvette ls2 402 stroker, D2 ldiscovery, lr3, a4

Dont tun that battery on the street. It's easy enough to take in and out for the track. It's an easy 50lbs

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by gk1 View Post
    No real need to perfect driving ability with AWD.
    2018 Daytona Gray S6 | S Sport | Black Optic | Carbon Atlas |

2011 Phantom Black S4 | S-Tronic | P+ | Nav | Sports Differential | Titanium Package | Silk Nappa | SOLD

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quick update: without rear seats, sub box and with open air filter, car managed to do best of 10.56@134 with 1.65 60ft. That's in almost 90 heat with 90% humidity. Best et before was 10.51@132 1.72 60ft, but it was in a 53 weather.

Active Member Two Rings Valpo A7's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Jeep Patriot; 2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse; 2005 Gulfstream Motorhome

Don't fill the tank up completely is a quick weight savings. Make sure the tank has enough fuel to run at the track and safely get back to the gas station to fill up for the drive home.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by IgorSapego View Post
    I'm not going to do anything with a battery, o did lightweight battery on my gt500 and it was a nightmare. Audi is stuffed with electronics so I'm not touching factory battery. Carbon ceramic brakes are too much money so that's a no no for now. 20" wheels would be something I'm going to do down the road, it would be nice to get 1.5 60ft out of it. I do run 104 at the track and usually fill up a car with it about 10-15 miles away from the track

Gas weighs a little over 6 lbs/gal. Try running less than 1/4 tank.
    2018 Daytona Gray S6 | S Sport | Black Optic | Carbon Atlas |

2011 Phantom Black S4 | S-Tronic | P+ | Nav | Sports Differential | Titanium Package | Silk Nappa | SOLD

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    Gas weighs a little over 6 lbs/gal. Try running less than 1/4 tank.
    I had little less than 5 gallons in the tank