Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Really odd brake noise has me baffled, suggestions appreciated

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So I'm having an odd sound coming from my B6 front brakes. I noticed about a month ago or so a rotation sound when braking, and when driving. Upon visual inspection my rears were shot so I decided to do all 4 corners. I did the rears first as I only had time that night to do those, and the noise went away but it was then then that I noticed the fronts making a similar noise. It sounded one of the pads was dragging on the rotor ever so slightly. I assumed I had a sticky caliper so when I changed the front rotors and pads I cleaned and re-greased the slide pins. Upon driving the car I noticed the fronts still making the noise. The noise only happens when the car is rolling in a straight line, goes away under braking (mostly, sometimes it doesn't but the pitch changes), and when turning only left. I checked the wheel for bearing play and it feels tight. I also ruled out a bearing when I noticed that sometimes it didn't make any noise, but after a bit it would and its not the typical howling I've experienced with a failing wheel bearing. I decided to take off the caliper and replace the guide pin bushings. Re-greased them, and still the same thing. When I inspected the pads I noticed the bottom 1/4" of the surface area on the pad closest to the hub had some odd wear like it wasn't making full contact. I'm not really sure what to do at this point. The pedal feels nice and firm, but the noise shouldn't be occurring so I'm not really sure how to proceed. Any ideas?!

Also fwiw I'm using Centric Semi-metallic pads, with Duralast coated high carbon rotors. I thought maybe it was something to do with the coating that was on the rotor face, but the driver side is silent.

AZ Member #

All set, resolved the issue. Thanks for the help.

Veteran Member Four Rings imnuts's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Dolphin Grey Audi A4 3.0 Q 6MT

How did you fix it?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL
    Retrieve your SKC for use with VCDS
    Setup Ross-Tech VCP Drivers

3.0 JHM Tuned, JHM LWFW & Clutch, JHM Solid Short Shifter, Zingo Airbox Mod, quattro, Vogtland Jr. Suspension, Single Xenon E-Codes, Apikol Snub, 034 Motor & Trans Mounts

AZ Member #

Yes, what help and what was it?