Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 A4 Avant, 05 Silver S4 2.7t swap

Suspension rattle

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Been unsuccessful in tracking down a suspension rattle so reaching out for some help. Coming from the front passenger wheel well. Almost has a ďhollowĒ sound. Worse over things like train tracks or shallow pot holes. Also get the sound when braking. I can modulate the sound depending on how hard I depress the brake pedal. No pulsating. New brake setup and was getting the noise before I changed that.

I still have the factory air setup. No issues with leaking bags. Control arms are pretty new and look good.
    I replaced the front struts thinking perhaps there was a dead spot. They needed to be replaced as the rebound was almost absent. Also replaced the strut mounts. No change in the rattling. When changing the struts I did notice that the bushing on the end link was pretty rough. Plan to replace but Iím hard pressed to think thatís it.

No wheel play or uneven tire wear. No vibrations when driving and it tracks straight.

I know itís an allroad but I still think itís possible to have a factory suspension in working order.

Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jbain2; 01-21-2019 at 06:56 PM.

Veteran Member Four Rings PaperToast's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Quadzilla

id toss some new endlinks and see if that does it
    those are fairly cheap after all

with those darn strut mounts, if they arent put together in the right order (bolt, washer, mounts, ect.) that can cause some noise too
    also if those arent good-n-tight, again, nice noise maker
    Rockin' the Rockies
    '01 allroad, 250k woot woot, still boosting on original turbos and tippy, slightly modified. . .

Scotty@Advanced, "Push it off a cliff, when it hits the ground you should have a few thousand horsepower available for a brief second."

Veteran Member Three Rings JayDog747's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 S4, 2008 Subaru Outback,2015 Silverado,08 A43.2

It's interesting you mentioned "hollow sound" because the sway bar is hollow. The majority of the time, it's the end links that are trashed.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaperToast View Post
    id toss some new endlinks and see if that does it
    those are fairly cheap after all

with those darn strut mounts, if they arent put together in the right order (bolt, washer, mounts, ect.) that can cause some noise too
    also if those arent good-n-tight, again, nice noise maker
    Thanks. Iíll start with the end links and see what happens. I hear what you are saying with the strut mounts. There was no play when I took the old ones off and I put the new ones on with an impact gun in the right order. No play or ability to spin them after.

Quote Originally Posted by JayDog747 View Post
    It's interesting you mentioned "hollow sound" because the sway bar is hollow. The majority of the time, it's the end links that are trashed.
    Forgot to mention, I have a hotchkiss sway bar so itís solid. As mentioned above, will start with the end links and go from there. Thanks.

Veteran Member Three Rings JediJoker7169's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by jbain2 View Post
    Forgot to mention, I have a hotchkiss sway bar so itís solid. As mentioned above, will start with the end links and go from there. Thanks.
    Pretty sure the Hotchkis front bar is tubular (hollow). OE might be solid.
    - JediJoker

"Dieselgate" / 2011 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI 6-speed

FORMER: "Das Boot" / 2001 Audi A6 2.7T quattro sedan:
    RS4 clutch / 710N DVs / 2Bennett Stage2 GT front 6-piston Brembo 350mm/rear 311mm / Bilstein PSS9 / Hotchkis Sport anti-roll bars / 034 Density adjustable front UCAs/Track Density front shock mounts/spherical ARB end links / O.Z. Superturismo LM 18" x 8" / Hella E-codes / LED tails / Facelift rear license plate trim

Veteran Member Three Rings m_haiser's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Highland Green Allroad

I was getting a similar sound just over bumps until recently (it is now a solid clunk upon braking/bumps) so I put my car on a lift and a front lower rearward control arm is pretty shot and allowing forward/aft movement.
    just has to be the expensive one doesn't it......

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JediJoker7169 View Post
    Pretty sure the Hotchkis front bar is tubular (hollow). OE might be solid.
    Iím pretty sure itís solid. I had to tap one end as it came shipped that way. Canít say definitively though. Either way, it was doing it before the sway bar was replaced.

Veteran Member Three Rings JediJoker7169's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Suspension rattle

Iím pretty sure itís solid. I had to tap one end as it came shipped that way. Canít say definitively though. Either way, it was doing it before the sway bar was replaced.
    According to this product listing on Summit Racing (no longer listed on Hotchkis site), both the front and rear bars are hollow. I had them on my former A6 (same part number) and having handled them, I'd peg them both for hollow.
    - JediJoker

"Dieselgate" / 2011 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI 6-speed

FORMER: "Das Boot" / 2001 Audi A6 2.7T quattro sedan:
    RS4 clutch / 710N DVs / 2Bennett Stage2 GT front 6-piston Brembo 350mm/rear 311mm / Bilstein PSS9 / Hotchkis Sport anti-roll bars / 034 Density adjustable front UCAs/Track Density front shock mounts/spherical ARB end links / O.Z. Superturismo LM 18" x 8" / Hella E-codes / LED tails / Facelift rear license plate trim

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Replaced the end links. I am pretty sure that did it though I canít decide if Iím hearing things as the rattle has been there for as long as Iíve owned the car.

Discovered that my passenger side VC is leaking a fair amount. Bummer. One more thing to add to the list.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Suspension rattle

Turned out to be the lower control arms. Swapped them the other day and all is good.

Did the valve cover as well. Will see if that fixes the leak. Iím a little concerned it may be coming from the cam seal.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Highland Green Allroad

Turned out to be the lower control arms. Swapped them the other day and all is good.

Did the valve cover as well. Will see if that fixes the leak. Iím a little concerned it may be coming from the cam seal.

im in the same boat. I feel your jpain.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

You can replace just the inner bushing. 25.00 part

Veteran Member Four Rings PaperToast's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Quadzilla

Quote Originally Posted by 4xaudi View Post
    you can, but chances are the ball joint too is trashed
    best to replace the entire arm
    Rockin' the Rockies
    '01 allroad, 250k woot woot, still boosting on original turbos and tippy, slightly modified. . .

Scotty@Advanced, "Push it off a cliff, when it hits the ground you should have a few thousand horsepower available for a brief second."

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4xaudi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperToast View Post
    you can, but chances are the ball joint too is trashed
    best to replace the entire arm
    Iím pretty sure it was the ball joint though itís hard to tell because you have to trash them to get the arms out. At any rate, Iím enjoying the silence and lack of vibrations.

Veteran Member Four Rings happy2B5's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    D2 S8, E61 535xi

Different platform (D2) but I have very similar symptoms. It is def at least one upper ca ball joint on mine. Clunk and vibration that can be modulated under braking and accel. Going through a full front arm refresh (and coilover install). Look forward to having my steering, handling and safety back.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Suspension rattle

Quote Originally Posted by happy2B5 View Post
    Different platform (D2) but I have very similar symptoms. It is def at least one upper ca ball joint on mine. Clunk and vibration that can be modulated under braking and accel. Going through a full front arm refresh (and coilover install). Look forward to having my steering, handling and safety back.
    You going to keep the AR?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    D2 S8, E61 535xi

I would sell it if I had any serious buyers. I did have one that was very interested but the original timing system scared him away (understand). It is not as scary a job as it's made out to be. Pull engine for turbo replacements all the time on 2.7. And, it is not even giving any indication there is any issue.

But, for time being, yes. Driving it everyday! Not breaking my heart to keep it . What I will not do is "trade it in" when time comes to get another car. Looking at b8.5 newroads...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by happy2B5; 02-12-2019 at 08:41 AM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Looking at b8.5 newroads...
    Soulless.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    D2 S8, E61 535xi

I know...growing on me though. I like the fact they are e85 ready and with a simple tune, very capable, fun newer ride. Also would not mind a 2009-2011 a6 avant with the 3.0t.

All that said, they can never replace the C5 allroad. One of the most unique audis or any car for that matter. Heck, my tastes in audi trend to earlier gens. Owned B5, C4, C5, D2 (current)

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Highland Green Allroad

I hear you on the 3.0t c6 but I just cant get on board with the smallroads personally. no air ride, 2 less cylinders, its a wagon with flairs

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I know...growing on me though. I like the fact they are e85 ready and with a simple tune, very capable, fun newer ride. Also would not mind a 2009-2011 a6 avant with the 3.0t.

All that said, they can never replace the C5 allroad. One of the most unique audis or any car for that matter. Heck, my tastes in audi trend to earlier gens. Owned B5, C4, C5, D2 (current)

Quote Originally Posted by m_haiser View Post
    I hear you on the 3.0t c6 but I just cant get on board with the smallroads personally. no air ride, 2 less cylinders, its a wagon with flairs
    While the B8 wheelbase appears bigger, the interior layout is much less suited for a family. I know, I have one. My 12 year old is squashed riding in the back. I had a B7 Avant that I sold because the rear seating capacity as well as the trunk space is actually larger in my Allroad.

Donít get me wrong, the newroads are nice looking cars. I came out of my house this morning with a glacier white one parked behind me. At some point I am going to be forced to succumb to 2 pedal, souless automobiles.

On the original note, still enjoying the silence from my front suspension.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Highland Green Allroad

congrats on being clunk free! haha

Veteran Member Four Rings hoganalley's Avatar
    AZ Member #

While the B8 wheelbase appears bigger, the interior layout is much less suited for a family. I know, I have one. My 12 year old is squashed riding in the back. I had a B7 Avant that I sold because the rear seating capacity as well as the trunk space is actually larger in my Allroad.

Donít get me wrong, the newroads are nice looking cars. I came out of my house this morning with a glacier white one parked behind me. At some point I am going to be forced to succumb to 2 pedal, souless automobiles.

On the original note, still enjoying the silence from my front suspension.

So if we are getting the C7 (or 8 - I don't know what number were at) wagon, what are the chances of getting the allroad too? I know the air ride system isn't exactly the same, but you can adjust it...... It would be stupid to offer the avant and RS6 and not being the allroad - even if it's special order

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Audizine mobile app
    05 allroad 2.7T Stock

99.5 A4 1.8T K04 - Sold