Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine bay fire

Established Member Two Rings texadelphia's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 A4 Avant 2.0T Tiptronic

Engine bay fire

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    My car was in the shop yesterday and they had the hpfp out. Apparently some gas was spilt in the process and collected in the belly pan. When they put it all back together and started it up, the fuel ignited. Apparently they got it out really quickly with extinguishers. I haven't seen the car in person yet and the shop is doing a full inspection but so far it looks like the insulation pad and belly pan were both damaged. From the pictures they sent the engine looks pretty unscathed visually. Too early to say the extent of it though.

Any advice on how to move forward or anything specific I should look for? The shop is being cooperative and have agreed to fix anything that may have been damaged but I don't know how sure anyone can be about the potential systems affected by either the fire or the extinguishers.

Sent from my moto x4 using Audizine mobile app

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Have an independent inspector do a once-over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cal45fan View Post
    Have an independent inspector do a once-over.

I'm thinking about having the dealer inspect it once I get it back.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Have someone do the inspection BEFORE you take possession of it. Itíll be worth your $100.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Like one of those pre-purchase inspection services? I just question if they know enough model specific info to be useful.

Senior Member Four Rings Theiceman's Avatar
    AZ Member #

id just go look at it myself..
    2014 A4 2.0TQ Technik
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

Senior Member Two Rings deusilan's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '89 E30 325i; 2005.5 2.0TQ 6-spd

Quote Originally Posted by Theiceman View Post
    id just go look at it myself..
    ^^This. If you're not confident in your inspection abilities, bring a friend who is or hire someone. You don't want to foot the bill once it leaves the mechanics' shop.
    Currently: 2005.5 A4 2.0 (Red)TQ 6-spd, WORK IN PROGRESS
    Previously: E30 325i, donated for track purposes

Veteran Member Four Rings A4_PimP's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Yeah I also think you should take an outside licensed mechanic with you. Then both of your look the car over.

Established Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by texadelphia View Post
    I'm thinking about having the dealer inspect it once I get it back.

Have them tow or drive it to the dealer of your choice. I would caution against taking possession of it before it was signed off on by another party.
    2005.5 A4 Avant: JHM K04R, GIAC K04 tune, RS4 PRV, RS4 fuel pump controller, Treadstone TR6 intercooler core with JHM pipe kit, CTS Turbo test pipe, ECS Tuning snub mount, 034 street tranny mount, 034 street motor mounts, ECS Tuning turbo inlet pipe, ECS Tuning RA4 clutch conversion, Billy Boat Stealth cat back, Fluidampr

Established Member Two Rings SlvrArrw's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Yep, there is a lot of "meltable" plastic on the engine so be thorough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I think I'm going to wait until I can see it in person before I make a decision on what to do.

The shop has promised to handle any repairs that pop up in the future that could be a result of the fire.

Veteran Member Four Rings vce1232000's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    83 MK1 GTI Callaway Turbo stg II

The shop has promised to handle any repairs that pop up in the future that could be a result of the fire.
    Getting in writing
    APR KO4, APR HPFP,RS4 LPFP Cntr,145 bar PRV, APR TP, TT DP, GFB DV+, AWE FMIC, BFI CC, AWE Exhaust, RS4 Exh tips, ST CO, 034 RSB,034 St Dnsty Mtr Mts, New Sth West Bst guage, B7 RS4 8 pot Calipers.Stop Tech slotted rotors.Goodridge SS brake lines frt & rr. Hawk HPS frt & rr. RS4 PS rack, RS4 Servotronic Relay,RS4 rims. S4 mirror caps,DTM frt bmpr and rs4 fogs,LED tail lites
    S4 Recaro Front & Rear seats. Led Interior Kit,United LED's fog lites
    2007 A4 Avant 2.0T Tiptronic 6spd

Active Member One Ring abbottcostello's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1967 Porsche 912, 1976 Porsche 924

I take it the shop is not the dealership. Dealerships do perform a lot of estimating & diagnostic stuff and should be very familiar with the car. I would at least think about the pros/cons of calling your insurance agent & see if it's worth reporting to protect your interests or even if they've just got some advice for you. I do have an independent agent & I know it won't go any further than their office if I don't want to go that route.
    I suppose how picky you are also depends how long you plan on keeping the car, too.

I would look it over close, all the wiring harness branches for your lights & cooling sys sensors are up there, plastic & rubber parts, including the inside sidewalls of the tires.

As far as the "promise" of future repairs, well that's one of those level of trust things that only you can judge. How stable is the business, a lot of car shops around my area go out of business, but a lot have been there for ages. I guess how long you think you'll keep the car figures in here, as well!

Good luck, at least they seem willing to things it right, that's worth a little peace of mind!

Account Terminated Two Rings
    AZ Member #

dont get dealer involved. they are not worth shit. dont ask emoory for ethical advice.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by hvcceducator View Post
    dont get dealer involved. they are not worth shit. dont ask emoory for ethical advice.
    Fucking crackhead.
    2005.5 A4 Avant: JHM K04R, GIAC K04 tune, RS4 PRV, RS4 fuel pump controller, Treadstone TR6 intercooler core with JHM pipe kit, CTS Turbo test pipe, ECS Tuning snub mount, 034 street tranny mount, 034 street motor mounts, ECS Tuning turbo inlet pipe, ECS Tuning RA4 clutch conversion, Billy Boat Stealth cat back, Fluidampr

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EvolutionArmory View Post
    Fucking crackhead.
    APR KO4, APR HPFP,RS4 LPFP Cntr,145 bar PRV, APR TP, TT DP, GFB DV+, AWE FMIC, BFI CC, AWE Exhaust, RS4 Exh tips, ST CO, 034 RSB,034 St Dnsty Mtr Mts, New Sth West Bst guage, B7 RS4 8 pot Calipers.Stop Tech slotted rotors.Goodridge SS brake lines frt & rr. Hawk HPS frt & rr. RS4 PS rack, RS4 Servotronic Relay,RS4 rims. S4 mirror caps,DTM frt bmpr and rs4 fogs,LED tail lites

AZ Member #
    My Garage

It looks like the wiring and plugs that run along the driver's side of the block got the worst of it. I don't know what all of it is but the wire wrapped in corrugated sheathing and I think attached to the alternator was pretty bad looking. Is wiring like that replaceable at all in that are there hard points where it can be disconnected or would it be a matter of splicing in damaged sections?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

It looks like the engine harness is all one piece. Is it possible/recommended to splice in sections that were damaged? If the whole thing was replaced can it be done without taking the engine out of the car?

Veteran Member Four Rings WillŽnskraft's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 Audi A4 1.8TQ, 2007 Audi A4 2.0TQ

Do you think you can get some pics? Interested to see the damages.
    "Beep beeeep bloop boop" - R2D2

AZ Member #

Do a crazy inspection of it yourself. Not sure how much experience you have.

Or bring a mechanic with you.
    If theyíre being cooperative it should be fine.
    If itís just some small damage get it fixed and be done with it.

These things happen. Maybe not to everyone. But at least theyíre owning up to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I didn't get a lot of pictures but I hope to get some more on Monday. IMG_20190118_145857239.jpegIMG_20190118_145753799.jpeg

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K__bz View Post
    Do a crazy inspection of it yourself. Not sure how much experience you have.

Or bring a mechanic with you.
    If theyíre being cooperative it should be fine.
    If itís just some small damage get it fixed and be done with it.

These things happen. Maybe not to everyone. But at least theyíre owning up to it.

It looks like the damage is mostly scorched wiring. There's at least one spot that looks like the insulation is completely missing. I'm just really uncomfortable with the section of wiring that got hit with flame but I don't know what the repair options are for something like that. Am I looking at a full engine harness replacement or some kind of splicing of a new section, or some other kind of repair? I'm really afraid of having electrical gremlins down the road if wires are brittle and start breaking inside the connectors and then if I ever want to sell the car trying to convince someone to buy it with burnt wires.

Senior Member Four Rings tloft4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Have them tow or drive it to the dealer of your choice. I would caution against taking possession of it before it was signed off on by another party.
    this, there is zero reason to make this your headache. they might seem nice but who knows if they will burn a customer over a massive bill later on

also im far from an expert but that wiring doesnt look good. never know when or where it could short, even if to the eye there arent holes. id rather someone not like me for making them pay for their mistakes, than have me not like them when they try to get out of doing so

Fucking crackhead.
    and this.

AZ Member #

It looks like the damage is mostly scorched wiring. There's at least one spot that looks like the insulation is completely missing. I'm just really uncomfortable with the section of wiring that got hit with flame but I don't know what the repair options are for something like that. Am I looking at a full engine harness replacement or some kind of splicing of a new section, or some other kind of repair? I'm really afraid of having electrical gremlins down the road if wires are brittle and start breaking inside the connectors and then if I ever want to sell the car trying to convince someone to buy it with burnt wires.

You raise a good point. I would raise some concern with the scorched wiring.
    I didnít know it was that bad.

I donít know the Audi harness wiring system honestly. Or how complex it is.

But damaged wires without protection can definitely cause problems.

Maybe someone on the board can chime in if theyíve ever done a harness replacement. Or maybe you can find those certain sections to get replaced.

Iím sure something like that can be ripped apart from a salvaged car. I know itís not probably what you want to be doing. But I always consider it a great option.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Hire a independent certified licenced inspector to take a and a written report for & estimate

AZ Member #

he is dealing with a mechanic not an insurance company. u guys and the measures you go to make me cringe. drive the car if a problem occurs take it back to the shop. hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by vce1232000 View Post
    Hire a independent certified licenced inspector to take a and a written report for & estimate

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Shop took all the sheathing and heat shrink off the wire loom in the section of the harness that got flamed. None of the wires beneath the sheathing have any damage to the insulation, nothing feels stiff or brittle, nothing is melted aside from the sheathing and all the contacts are bright and shiny. The connector for the crankshaft position sensor was the worst of them and they're going to replace that one. The sheathing on the transmission plug was also a little melted near the connector but they were going to take a look at that tonight. The car was on the lift and I couldn't see anything else that was an obvious concern beyond wiring.

I appreciate the direction on getting a second opinion. I'm not sure what someone else would be able to tell me at this point or even who I could get to do it. Anyone know any unemployed Audi mechanics with no loyalty to any other shop that could lend an unbiased opinion?

To be honest I'm pretty much at a loss with what to do.

AZ Member #

have them take it to audi to look at by an employed employee who will give an honest answer. its not your fault and it shouldnt be your problem

im far from a mechanic but id feel pretty put off if they couldnt spend 15 seconds to lower it so you could look more

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tloft4 View Post
    have them take it to audi to look at by an employed employee who will give an honest answer. its not your fault and it shouldnt be your problem

im far from a mechanic but id feel pretty put off if they couldnt spend 15 seconds to lower it so you could look more
    Looked around while it was on the ground too. They weren't holding it hostage up on the lift. Haha.

AZ Member #

alright thats good lol, made it sound like you didnt have full access. i just think its a case of not at all your fault, and shouldnt at all be your worry. if you say its ok, they did what they did, and an issue comes up you cant directly point to, do you want to foot the bill? or should it leave the shop in the condition in came in, + what you had paid for? if you take it to a dealer, the shops hands are clean, and you will know its on you. instead of trying to fight after the fact while either side can blame anything they want.

Veteran Member Four Rings A4_PimP's Avatar
    AZ Member #

You donít need an unemployed Audi tech. Arenít there any good indie garages youíve been to? The ones Iíve been to any of the mechanics Iíve dealt with would follow me out to have a look. They might not be able to tell you anything but they are impartial and if they work on Audis all the time they know what to take a look at. The important thing is they are impartial and will give you good info.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Shop took all the sheathing and heat shrink off the wire loom in the section of the harness that got flamed. None of the wires beneath the sheathing have any damage to the insulation, nothing feels stiff or brittle, nothing is melted aside from the sheathing and all the contacts are bright and shiny. The connector for the crankshaft position sensor was the worst of them and they're going to replace that one. The sheathing on the transmission plug was also a little melted near the connector but they were going to take a look at that tonight. The car was on the lift and I couldn't see anything else that was an obvious concern beyond wiring.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

After sleeping on what I saw last night I felt fairly comfortable that the damage wasn't bad enough to pursue any other repairs or replacements. However, I had made an appointment last week with another shop for a 2nd opinion for today so I decided to follow through with that just for some extra peace of mind. I didn't expect them to find anything, and they didn't so all is well. It kind of felt like a waste of money at the time but I'm glad I went through with the inspection just so I can sleep at night. Should be back behind the wheel tomorrow. The shop has treated me well and been very upfront through the whole process so I feel lucky. They also found that the conical surface in the fitting on the high pressure line on the hpfp was out of round which they think may have caused the fuel leak that led to the fire.

AZ Member #

have you checked your cam follower? maybe hpfp has made damage and caused the conical surface to go out of round?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hvcceducator View Post
    have you checked your cam follower? maybe hpfp has made damage and caused the conical surface to go out of round?
    Cam follower was checked which is why they had the pump off to begin with, but I can't see how the follower would have affected the line fitting anyway.

AZ Member #

Cam follower was checked which is why they had the pump off to begin with, but I can't see how the follower would have affected the line fitting anyway.
    Heís a crack head. Donít pay any attention to him. And youíre right. An internal part canít affect the fuel line or fittings. 🤣🤣🤣

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I should have known. Haha.

Senior Member Four Rings Theiceman's Avatar
    AZ Member #

After sleeping on what I saw last night I felt fairly comfortable that the damage wasn't bad enough to pursue any other repairs or replacements. However, I had made an appointment last week with another shop for a 2nd opinion for today so I decided to follow through with that just for some extra peace of mind. I didn't expect them to find anything, and they didn't so all is well. It kind of felt like a waste of money at the time but I'm glad I went through with the inspection just so I can sleep at night. Should be back behind the wheel tomorrow. The shop has treated me well and been very upfront through the whole process so I feel lucky. They also found that the conical surface in the fitting on the high pressure line on the hpfp was out of round which they think may have caused the fuel leak that led to the fire.

yup you have go to make sure everything is seated perfectly before crank down the 17 mil and the banjo bolt if it applies to you . If it is not seated perfectly you can easily force the force the fittings out of round with a wrench and create a leak.
    2014 A4 2.0TQ Technik
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Theiceman View Post
    yup you have go to make sure everything is seated perfectly before crank down the 17 mil and the banjo bolt if it applies to you . If it is not seated perfectly you can easily force the force the fittings out of round with a wrench and create a leak.
    Makes sense. That line has been off at least 3 times since I bought it by 2 different shops so it's hard to say who messed it up. I'm guessing it's the dealer's shop that was supposed to be checking the hpfp for past cam follower failure before I bought it and missed the obvious damage to the hpfp. Anyway, I'll be replacing the hpfp soon so I'll be extra careful to make sure everything is seated right before I tighten anything down.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Heís a crack head. Donít pay any attention to him. 🤣🤣🤣
    couldnt agree with you anymore then that ....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast