Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

RS3 Rear Suspension Clunk

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Just bought a 2017 RS3 and somehow I didnít notice it on the test drive (it was quite a bit warmer that day and I was excited) but it has a bad metallic sounding clunk when I go over bumps. It sounds like itís coming from the rear passenger suspension area. Itís worse going slowly.

Iíve searched and saw this was a common issue on S3 and A3 and saw a couple posts about RS3 but not many.

Anybody else have this issue, or had it and it was fixed? Iím taking it to the dealer tomorrow and will report back but Iím hoping someone can tell me what the fix was.

Established Member Three Rings S3DUDE's Avatar
    AZ Member #

^^ I had the S3 with magnetic ride and it was annoyingly clunky but I find my RS3 much more smoother without hardly any clunkiness. I complained to the dealer about my new S3 clunky suspension but there was nothing at the time. The best thing you can o is to take it to the dealer and see if there is any recent recall.
    Last edited by S3DUDE; 01-15-2019 at 09:36 PM.
    Ran 11.703@117.06 mph at 3100ft elevation with no mods or bolt-ons. Running E-32 content as per fuel-it sensor (mixture of 1.5 gallons of ethanol E-85 +4 gallons of 91oct). DA of 2,869ft based on 82% humidity, 44F (the time of the run), 30.09 barometric pressure, relative density of 91.87%. Personal best trap 118.94 mph

Established Member Two Rings SolarRS3's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 KTM Superduke 1290R

The contrarian had the same issue, dealer resolved I believe.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by SolarRS3 View Post
    The contrarian had the same issue, dealer resolved I believe.
    I had a squeak from the lower control arm. I did run across a lot of these rear suspension clunk threads when I was researching my issue and it is likely the top mount for the shock.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 RS3, 2003 GTI VRT

RS3 Rear Suspension Clunk

For what itís worth, my ttrs had this clunk when I bought it and I put it on my fathers lift at his shop. Sure enough, the shipping bump stops, these little purple C-shapes things, weíre still slipped over the struts in the rear not allowing the car to have full travel. Iíd hear the thump every time I went over a speed bump in my complex. Removed them and it was gone. May not be the only cause for a thump, but it was mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    flickr | Instagram | 2003 GTI VRT | 2018 TTRS
    VRSociety: Facebook | Instagram

Senior Member Two Rings keninblaine's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    96 Porsche C4S

My 2018 RS3 had the clunk for many months, especially going over abrupt speed bumps at anything more than 10 mph. Checked the bump stops etc. but nothing wrong there. At someone's suggestion here, I finally removed the trunk cover and it was much better. So it appeared to just be the cover coming up and slamming back down again. Now I keep something reasonably heavy on top with a bungee cord and it seems to be much better.
    2018 RS3 Florett Silver

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Anybody when going over bumps when the car has been sitting and in cold environment, does their rear suspension make a squeaking noise? Only when it's cold and small bumps.
    Current: 2018 Audi Exclusive Nogaro Blue RS3 w/Black optics, Tech, Dynamic, Drivers Assistance, RS Design Packages, Carbon Inlays, Carbon Mirror

Past: 2014 Black S4 DSG/1999 Eclipse GSX

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Just to update everyone. Car has a blown strut. Seems odd considering the car has 20k miles on it.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Define bad.... I'm going to have them check mine but in the morning it likes to make some noise but it's not crazy loud. And from a stop, it almost feels like a slight sudden shift in weight from the back end somewhere. Mine seem almost like something loose and moving slightly than anything else.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by hckymstr19 View Post
    Anybody when going over bumps when the car has been sitting and in cold environment, does their rear suspension make a squeaking noise? Only when it's cold and small bumps.
    That sounds pretty similar to my squeaking right rear suspension.

Pop the trunk and press down on the bottom of the trunk opening to get the suspension moving up and down, do you hear a squeak? (Dont press on the sheet metal)

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by TheContrarian View Post
    That sounds pretty similar to my squeaking right rear suspension.

Pop the trunk and press down on the bottom of the trunk opening to get the suspension moving up and down, do you hear a squeak? (Dont press on the sheet metal)
    Yep, in the morning I went out before I started it and pushed down on the truck and there is a clear squeak from the rear suspension. Any ideas what it could be? And will Audi do anything about it?
    Current: 2018 Audi Exclusive Nogaro Blue RS3 w/Black optics, Tech, Dynamic, Drivers Assistance, RS Design Packages, Carbon Inlays, Carbon Mirror

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by hckymstr19 View Post
    Yep, in the morning I went out before I started it and pushed down on the truck and there is a clear squeak from the rear suspension. Any ideas what it could be? And will Audi do anything about it?
    They replaced the passenger side rear control arm on my car. It still creaks when moving the suspension up and down by hand, but I haven't heard it while driving.

They said the culprit was the fit between the spring and the rubber spring perch. I doubt replacing the control arm was necessary but it was free. I think it probably just needed lube/cleaning. I didn't have the issue until winter.

I'd suggest taking it in if it bothers you.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by TheContrarian View Post
    They replaced the passenger side rear control arm on my car. It still creaks when moving the suspension up and down by hand, but I haven't heard it while driving.

They said the culprit was the fit between the spring and the rubber spring perch. I doubt replacing the control arm was necessary but it was free. I think it probably just needed lube/cleaning. I didn't have the issue until winter.

I'd suggest taking it in if it bothers you.
    Perfect, thanks man!