Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: A4 B7 CVT....

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

A4 B7 CVT....

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I bought a 2006 A4 B7 2.0T CVT for very very cheap (couple of hundreds + towing) 1-2mo ago. Zero service history and couldn't test much as CVT trans was doomed, car couldn't move forward at all only in reverse. Now engine is back to shape, but before i ditch the CVT and swap it out to an AWD 6 speed manual. I'm a bit scared how much effort the swap will take though, so I'm entertaining the idea to give it a go and fix the CVT. At least for the time being so I can get this car back on road asap.

Issue is, my CVT doesn't show any of the common issues so having trouble to decide where to start the investigation/troubleshooting.
    History wise what i could figure from scans is: tranny tells it has ~40k on it, while car has 71k on the clock. So either the whole tranny or at least the TCM was replaced approx 40k ago (vcds reports 2010 date for the cvt). Can't tell if it was updated to 7 plates or not at that point.

Now.. when first got it and scanned, I did get errors like:

005953 - Clutch Pressure Adaptation
    P1741 - 000 - Limit Reached - Intermittent

005971 - Tiptronic Switch (F189)
    P1753 - 000 - Implausible Signal

I fixed the second one, just needed to clean/put the magnets back in their place in the shifter. The first one.... not sure. To check fluid level, I removed the fill plug (the regular hex/allen stuff, not the special tool needed drain plug rigth next to it). Approx 1.5l came out. I probably should have removed while engine is running? If not, then that 1.5l extra (and it was cold engine) means it was way way overfilled? Anyways, did some other tests on the engine after that, and for my surprise, since removed the potentially extra fluid, no more codes I'm getting. NONE at all! Tranny believes it is super happy and healthy, still, if you put it into D, release break (creep mode) car doesn't move, then push the gas pedal a little, still nothing up until u rev the engine to approx 3k, where it starts moving very very slowly, like a few centimeters, but I wouldn't really call it moving (maybe it could be best described as clutch drag feeling if it was a manual). And even with this, still no codes reported by the trans?!? But again, driving in reverse is OK.

The other 'symptom' it has: In D, brake applied, engine revs at 800 rpm (idle speed), without brake, rpm goes up to ~1000 rpm, but as mentioned, not moving at all. Then when brake is applied again, engine nearly bogs down, but manages to come back up to 800 rpm.

I'm prepared to open it and replace seals, filters, clean valve body etc, but if it could be 100% proven that it is the clutch pack, then I think I should just save my time and forget it?

So.. anyone seen anything similar? I would expect if it is a burnt out fw clutch pack (hence reverse direction still works), shouldn't the TCM report a fault for this severe slippage instead of no code at all?

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Ordering seals... just found this tsb 2013280/1. Exactly same symptoms, and it says dtc 'may' be present, though not always. If not this, then here we go manual conversion :-)