Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1996 Miata

Flywheel Replacement (single vs. dual-mass) Thoughts

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    It seems that the original dual-mass flywheel in my 05.5 S4 has taken a dump on me and needs to be replaced. Dealer is quoting around 2k for labor and I'll be providing the parts to cut costs. Car is more of a daily driver, so performance parts aren't necessary and I would be interested in switching to a single-mass flywheel, only if NVH wouldn't be significantly increased. Any advice/opinions/thoughts on going single-mass vs. dual-mass for the flywheel, and if any brands (i.e. Luk, Brute Force, JHM, ACT, etc.) seem to be better quality than others, would be a huge help and much appreciated!

Senior Member Three Rings roboto_1337's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 S4 6MT

The dual mass is going to help absorb hard shifting, but they're also prone to failure due to moving parts. JHM has 2 different LWFWs, they have replaceable friction liners and seem to work just fine. Assuming you have a B7 by your name you wouldn't need to worry about buying a non-OEM clutch.
    Piggy Pipes, Milltek non-res cat-back exhaust, JHM 93 Tune, JHM Short Throw Shifter, Updated RS4 upper and lower timing guides, Brembo 18Z w/RS4 SS lines, Hotchkiss RS4 Front Anti-sway bars, BC racing BR coilovers, EB-Works adjustable rear end links, 034 Motorsports spherical end links. 034 Motorsport Engine mounts, 034 Motorsports Silicon MAF hose, Hartmann 19" RS4 Reps +5mm 42DD front +10mm ECS rear.